AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2005-01-05, 11:50   Link #1
acorriga

Cost of anime DVDs (in USA)

When someone purchases legitimate anime:

How much of it does the studio in Japan that originally created the anime get?

How much of it is going towards the company bringing it to the US?
acorriga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-05, 12:23   Link #2
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

It's different with every license. That's the whole reason it takes forever for something like Naruto to be licensed. The studio probably wants 50% of the gross and the distributor wants to give 50% of the net.

But I would assume the Hentai's get the least amount of Studio money while the Dragonballs get a crapload.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-05, 12:34   Link #3
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
And if the series never get licensed and we collect anime like I do, we get 100per cent net
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-05, 12:50   Link #4
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorriga
When someone purchases legitimate anime:

How much of it does the studio in Japan that originally created the anime get?

How much of it is going towards the company bringing it to the US?
If we are talking about DVDs (let's assume a retail price of $30) then the distribution of the money goes something like this (please note that since companies do not release these figures, all values are estimates and guesswork).

How much of the $30 goes to the Japanese studio?
In effect, none of it does. Typically the American company pays a value up front, a one-shot payment. This amount can vary wildly depending on the title in question but it's going to be in the range of $10,000 up. Some people claim it can go into the millions but I do not see how this is possible given the market (i.e. the number of sales). It does of course vary license to license, sometimes, the deal may involve a fee per unit sold but I think in most cases it's a up-front one-shot payment.

Back to the $30 per DVD. This is the retail price and as such doesn't really mean much. Retailers can sell it at what price they like. On-line shops tend to discount heavily so the can be around $20. 'Real' shops tend to sell closer to the full $30 retail price.

But there is a chain

Anime Company > Distributors > Retailers > Customer

Customer buys (from Retailers) for $20 to $30
Retails buys (from Distributors) for about $15 and sell for $20 to $30
Distributors buys (from Anime Company) for about $7.50 and sell for $15

Anime Companies sell a "$30" DVD for about $7.50, of which about $2.50 is paid for the raw material (DVD manufacture, case and liners, printing costs, storage, etc.).

Out of the $5 made, the Anime Company needs to pay for the translation, the editing, the dub voice actors, studio hire, the advertising, so on and so on. They also have to pay back the initial license fee, pay the regular staff plus make a profit. Out of $5 per DVD.

Again, these figures are all approximate but the cost does usually double along each step of the chain (Anime Company > Distributors > Retailers > Customer).

If anyone has more accurate estimates for the various steps, then I would like to hear what they may be.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote