AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2012-01-05, 03:36   Link #1
Haladflire65
*Artist

Magnet links?

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone could help me with an issue I'm having.... So I’m trying to download something with uTorrent and the only thing available’s a magnet link. When I try to open it I get an empty file, like this (sorry it’s in Korean, but basically filesize is 0 and nothing’s in it):

I don’t know much about the technical side of torrents, I just vaguely know how to use them and figure out which ones are good and bad. Can anyone tell me how to go about dl-ing this successfully? I really want the file and can’t get it anywhere else ;_;

Edit: nvm, I found the actual torrent file. Mods can delete or lock this thread, thanks.

Last edited by Haladflire65; 2012-01-05 at 05:36.
Old 2012-01-05, 11:07   Link #2
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

To answer the question for anyone interested: with a magnet link you can download the torrent file through DHT.

This means you don't need an actual website (or even tracker) to download a torrent (as long as it is reasonably popular, as with very rare/nearly dead torrents this will not work well).

However the magnet link will usually not contain much info. Modern magnet links may include filename and a tracker (to give uTorrent a starting point to look for other "peers"), but usually not file size, hence why the size was listed as 0 -- until the torrent is downloaded this simply isn't known yet.
Old 2012-01-05, 21:47   Link #3
Haladflire65
*Artist

Ah, that makes sense! Cause in the end I found a regular torrent file... This is good to know for the next time I'll be using magnet links, thanks for the info
Old 2012-04-09, 10:03   Link #4
GDB

Don't want to make a new topic for this, since it's about magnet links as well, but is it possible to create a .torrent file from a magnet link? My torrent program doesn't open magnet links, and I don't particuarly want to switch to a new program and lose my settings and seed ratio.
Old 2012-04-09, 10:13   Link #5
sneaker

5 seconds of google:
http://magnet2torrent.me/
Old 2012-04-09, 11:11   Link #6
GDB

Excellent, thank you. Not sure why I brainfarted and didn't consider googling it.