AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-04-09, 09:01   Link #201
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Welp, I didn't really get exactly what I expected either (based on the PV and the summary) but I enjoyed this episode nonetheless. Sexy prankful ghost are more than A-OK in my book. Although there was a lot of comedy in this episode, I'm sure it'll get more serious later on. I'm highly interested in the mystery surrounding Yuuko's death. We know her corpse lies under the club room, so obviously, something pretty bad must have happened.

While showing the same scene two times in a row may have seemed like a waste of time, I enjoyed watching it from two different point of views even if you could more or less deduce what was what happening without seeing Yuuko. It gave us a good feel of the personality of each characters. That said, this first episode could have definitely been a lot better. In fact, it didn't feel like an introductory episode at all, which is only natural they've skipped the first chapters according to what I'm reading in this thread.

PS: the MC would have jumped at the top of my ranking for this season if he had actually grabbed that boob on purpose. What a disappointment... what did he think he was touching anyway?
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 09:01   Link #202
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
What in the living bloody fuck was in any of those promotional materials that said "hey, this is going to be like Shiki/Another" or could it be that you ignored the evidence and simply made your own uninformed assumptions?




Yeah, I don't see it either.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 09:07   Link #203
Masuzu
ヒーロー
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: キセキの世代
^ EDIT: Yeah, I guess neither of us can see Yuuko smiling...right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
MAL tags: Mystery, Horror, Romance, School, Shonen, Supernatural
ANN tags: Drama, mystery, romance, supernatural, ghosts, school

+ the PV and synopsis. I don't see "moe" or "comedy" anywhere. And these two elements overwhelmed everything else. If they were just side elements I wouldn't have cared, but that's pretty much all I got. That's my problem. Did I expect a Shiki/Another/Ghost translation entirely? No. Did I expect an atmosphere or premise that would indicate said tags, synopsis and PV? Yes.

And what kinda promotion would explicitly say: "This series is going to be like that other anime X". Stop putting words in my mouth.
They were overwhelming? Oh that's great, for how many episodes was that the case? Oh right we have one so far...

Wait wait wait, you mentioned the PV? Does that mean you actually saw it? So I assume you saw Okonogi acting like an energetic comedy fall-back, Teiichi acting the way you mentioned around Yuuko, and ofcourse Yuuko not acting like a damn terrifying ghost. So now, you say what happened in the first episode was unexpected? Assuming you indeed watched all the PVs, ah but if you watched them--that means you also saw the creepy image I posted which was taken from the first PV, no? Now, how can you see something like that in the PV then when you actually watch the series and don't see it things suddenly become "hurr durr I guess the ghost is just annoying and moe the PV lied to me hurr durr".

All that only assuming you watched all the PVs, since you bothered to mention it.

Now regarding your last statement, now you're going to pretend you didn't say you were expecting this to be like Shiki/Another? So you admit the promotional material would never say something like that? Well then where did your expectations come from? Tags on MAL and ANN instead of the actual promotional videos?
__________________
Masuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 09:11   Link #204
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Quote:
MAL tags: Mystery, Horror, Romance, School, Shonen, Supernatural
ANN tags: Drama, mystery, romance, supernatural, ghosts, school
I won't categorize this as a mistake you've committed, but I have to ask you something: do tags really capture what an anime series is about? There are times where merely looking at the tags isn't enough to fully grasp the story, especially an adaptation such as this.
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Summer 2014: Hanayamata, Rail Wars!, Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?, Sabagebu!, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and Hanamonogatari.
Autumn 2014: Log Horizon S2, Amagi Brilliant Park and Fate/Stay Night (2014).
Excited for Mitou Shoukan://Blood Sign?


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 214. Plan to watch: 33.


Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-04-09 at 10:27. Reason: Removed comment.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 09:14   Link #205
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: By the vending machine, drinking tea.
I might be mistaken but this first episode just introduces the character's personalities in a more light hearted fashion. From the looks of things the next episode "episode 2" will be the manga's chapter 1 which is basically the introduction to Teeichi and Yuuko's relationship and adds the actual darker feel of the series.
__________________

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 09:28   Link #206
Cadallin
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
...I get the distinct feeling I should avoid this thread since the 'shenanigans' as some people put it, are basically HALF the story... But that would just leave the nay-sayers and that won't be good.

I, for one, liked the ep. It took a little while to get used to since they started with Yuuko being invisible and then switched it around. Yuuko has the most adorable voice. They got the gist of the interactions between the characters spot on. I don't really mind that they started where they did - the beginning will be covered so I'm not going to have a cow.

Indeed, what exactly are other people reading?

The fundamental character dynamic is a harem comedy! It's Yuuko, Kirie and Momoe fighting over the affections of Teiichi, with varying techniques and effectiveness.

For me, the rest is just a scaffolding to enable the comedy that takes place as a result of those interactions.

And thinking back on it, I guess the reason I like the manga is that Maybe has done an incredibly good job of keeping me uncertain how it's going to play out. My gut says the series is ultimately light-hearted, but I also think there's a large chance that I'm wrong.

The skill there is that, either way I think I'll be content with it, and not feel like I just got horribly trolled by the author. It is an enjoyable series.
Cadallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 09:32   Link #207
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
That's the thing,I don't remember her being that present in the PVs or nearly as hyperactive in them and much of the first episode was focused on her that's why I can understand where DemiSoda is coming from.
Fair enough. There's a slight running gag that she's supposed to be a detective but she's not very observant. She is not a frequent recurring character. Kirie, Teiichi, and Yuuko are the three main characters and they are what the story revolves around.

I understand where he is coming from as well. But the thing to remember for everyone is that advertisements lie. No, your penis or breasts won't get bigger from a pill, it's not really new and improved, the sale is only because they marked up the price initially, and little cartoon characters aren't what your cleaning/hygiene products look like under a microscope.

Having strong expectations just from a synopsis or a preview that uses cherry picked images is just going to set you up for disappointment. Heck how many of us come into an anime excited because we liked the manga/novel/etc. and come away unhappy, even though we already knew what the story would be like going in?
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 09:48   Link #208
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
They were overwhelming? Oh that's great, for how many episodes was that the case? Oh right we have one so far...
So you expect people to wait till it gets good? So it's that promise where it's get better later on. Awesome. Now I have to bank that this may get better in the future alongside bookshelves of other series that fit in this category. That's very encouraging ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san
Wait wait wait, you mentioned the PV? Does that mean you actually saw it? So I assume you saw Okonogi acting like an energetic comedy fall-back, Teiichi acting the way you mentioned around Yuuko, and ofcourse Yuuko not acting like a damn terrifying ghost. So now, you say what happened in the first episode was unexpected? Assuming you indeed watched all the PVs, ah but if you watched them--that means you also saw the creepy image I posted which was taken from the first PV, no? Now, how can you see something like that in the PV then when you actually watch the series and don't see it things suddenly become "hurr durr I guess the ghost is just annoying and moe the PV lied to me hurr durr".

All that only assuming you watched all the PVs, since you bothered to mention it.
Nice try but you mentioned the PV first, asking me if I watched it, so I naturally replied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san
Now regarding your last statement, now you're going to pretend you didn't say you were expecting this to be like Shiki/Another? So you admit the promotional material would never say something like that? Well then where did your expectations come from? Tags on MAL and ANN instead of the actual promotional videos?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demisoda
... I came into this series expecting a horror/mystery along the lines of Shiki, Another, Ghost Hunt and instead I got dumb moe comedy shenanigans ...
Quote:
MAL tags: Mystery, Horror, Romance, School, Shonen, Supernatural
ANN tags: Drama, mystery, romance, supernatural, ghosts, school

+ the PV and synopsis.
Combination of factors. Not just one exclusively. I also said "along the lines of". Never did I say direct translation NOR did I say that the promotional materials state they were going to be like that. In fact, you're the one who brought up that strawman argument in the first place:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
...What in the living bloody fuck was in any of those promotional materials that said "hey, this is going to be like Shiki/Another" or could it be that you ignored the evidence and simply made your own uninformed assumptions?

I wasn't alone either in what was to be expected either. See totoum's and Kanon's responses for example.

Sure, Kanon may have tolerated it, but I for one don't tolerate it all and you can't expect everyone to just accept it. This is a forum and forums are for critiquing. Not everything has to have abundant amounts of silly comedy sheniengans because we got genres dedicated to that not to mention at least a good half of anime these days are of that kind. Sure, I enjoy the odd well made slice of life/comedy here and there but I don't want it in every frakken genre or series. Is it that selfish to not want those elements?
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 09:52   Link #209
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Are people really complaining about misleading advertisements? Do people forget how prior to Madoka Magica's airing, it was promoted with cutesy ClariS song?
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 10:19   Link #210
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Under the piercing blue sky
This is why they shouldn't have deviated from the source material right away. Or at all, for that matter. One of the mysteries was supposed to have been introduced at the end of the first chapter, but because they instead chose to prioritize showing the mains together first (which shouldn't have happened this early), including a "with" and "without" segment that I thought took up too much time, valuable time for the more serious parts were lost for the first episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Are people really complaining about misleading advertisements? Do people forget how prior to Madoka Magica's airing, it was promoted with cutesy ClariS song?
People will understandably be angry at what they perceive to be false advertising.
__________________
Coldlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 10:21   Link #211
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: By the vending machine, drinking tea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadallin View Post
Indeed, what exactly are other people reading?

The fundamental character dynamic is a harem comedy! It's Yuuko, Kirie and Momoe fighting over the affections of Teiichi, with varying techniques and effectiveness.

For me, the rest is just a scaffolding to enable the comedy that takes place as a result of those interactions.

And thinking back on it, I guess the reason I like the manga is that Maybe has done an incredibly good job of keeping me uncertain how it's going to play out. My gut says the series is ultimately light-hearted, but I also think there's a large chance that I'm wrong.

The skill there is that, either way I think I'll be content with it, and not feel like I just got horribly trolled by the author. It is an enjoyable series.
I disagree with calling it a harem comedy. Granted there's one male MC with a group of girls around him, but the main focus of the series as always been Yuuko's background and the school mysteries. Yes, the girls have a thing for the main character but there isn't all that much competition for affection as you've said. As you can see even in the first episode the only one that actively chases after Teiichi is Yuuko.
__________________

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 10:27   Link #212
konart
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Moscow, RU
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to konart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadallin View Post
Indeed, what exactly are other people reading?

The fundamental character dynamic is a harem comedy! It's Yuuko, Kirie and Momoe fighting over the affections of Teiichi, with varying techniques and effectiveness.

For me, the rest is just a scaffolding to enable the comedy that takes place as a result of those interactions.

And thinking back on it, I guess the reason I like the manga is that Maybe has done an incredibly good job of keeping me uncertain how it's going to play out. My gut says the series is ultimately light-hearted, but I also think there's a large chance that I'm wrong.

The skill there is that, either way I think I'll be content with it, and not feel like I just got horribly trolled by the author. It is an enjoyable series.
Momoe fighting over the affection of Teiichi?

Not in the manga I'm reading. Actually there is no fight at all, thanks to Kirie's tsundereish part of herself. And anyway it's not the main theme there.
__________________
Signature removed. Please check the forum signature rules before trying to upload another one. If you have questions, feel free to contact a mod through PM.
konart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 11:13   Link #213
LKK
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Age: 52
Crunchyroll will stream the series under the name "Dusk Maiden of Amnesia".
Quote:
The series will stream on Sundays at 9:00 am PDT in the following territories: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand.
[Source]
__________________

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 11:17   Link #214
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Are people really complaining about misleading advertisements? Do people forget how prior to Madoka Magica's airing, it was promoted with cutesy ClariS song?
With Madoka Magica, the image of "conventional" or "standard" magical girl anime was promoted, and the switch was to "darker" and "different".

Demi Soda seems to be arguing that with this show the exact opposite is going on - The image of darker and different was promoted, but instead we get conventional and standard.

I think it's pretty clear which of these types of switches is more inherently disappointing than the other one.

I'm not necessarily saying that Demi Soda is right (I don't know, I'm watching this mainly since Coldlight recommended it to me, and so I'm coming in pretty much entirely blind here), but if I was expecting dark/different and I got standard/conventional, I'd consider that quite a letdown. So I think people should cut Demi Soda some slack here, especially since I know for a fact that Demi Soda likes serious mystery/horror and has had to put up with some real disappointments there lately (such as the ending to Another).


Now, that being said, I largely enjoyed this first episode.

I agree with Coldlight that it did seem a tad bit wasteful to basically redo a full third or so of the episode. While that did increase the comedy value some, it also made everything seem a bit dragged out to me.

However, I loved the visuals, I loved the seiyu work, and I really like the overall style of this show. I think the cast is pretty well-balanced, although I hope the dialogue is spread out a bit more evenly in the future. And yes, Coldlight, Kirie reminds me a bit of someone we're both big fans of, lol. Mind you, Kirie is a lot less genki girl than that character is, similarly serious-minded though.


I do like parts of the premise of this show, especially this ghost girl being someone who can only be touched by the male lead. I have to admit, that's a pretty cool concept.

The character designs, artwork, and animation are all really nice in this too. It comes together beautifully. That's especially true of that forest path walk against a brilliant sunset. Man, that was truly gorgeous visuals, honestly reminding me of a Thomas Kinkade painting.


The tone I'm getting from this show is that it's very anime-esque, but also that it has a mix of mystery, horror, and comedy similar to the old Ghostbusters cartoon of the 1980s. If that continues, I'm happy with that overall balance.

I'll give this episode a 8/10. It would be a 7/10 if not for those breathtaking visuals at the end, but those alone earn it an extra point.

I am looking forward to the second episode.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 11:23   Link #215
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
How presumptuous, while I wouldn't call this Shiki or Another--it is indeed far from what has been described by the Soda-man.
Bah...who cares...they want to drop just let them. Why bother justifying anything to them?

No harm done after all as I keep saying....are they going to dent the sales any?
__________________

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2012-04-09 at 11:41.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 11:37   Link #216
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In a cruel yet beautiful world
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
In this case, yes actually. Without trying to spoil anything, the story is initially light hearted and comedic. The idea is to juxtapose the dark mystery and horror elements with a lighter side. Yuuko (the ghost) has a very disturbing past, and as the plot unravels the mystery it gets harder to trust that she's the nice happy ghost you see initially. Every mystery the characters solve brings them closer to the truth of what happened to Yuuko, but it also opens up some sometimes uncomfortable reflection on the other characters. Some of the mysteries have a happy ending, some....not so much. The story isn't super dark, like Another or Shiki, but it's definitely not a supernatural harem comedy like Rosario.

As for the annoying detective girl, be thankful....unless the anime changes things, she's not around much or as annoying in every appearance either.

If nothing else, come back later on and see if you like it then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
And here we go with the "first episode represents the entire series" mentality. >_>

Shiki? Another? Ghost Hunt? Stupid tags. I regard Tasogare Otome x Amnesia as supernatural, and that comes from someone who doesn't watch anime because of similar genres or another anime's success.
Quoted these two for summing up my feelings on the matter exactly.

There's a lot of potentially good series you're going to miss out on if you approach everything with that sort of mindset, and that's really sad.

Also, to regard Shiki, Another, or Ghost Hunt as though they are the epitome of the perfect "dark mystery/horror anime series" means that you don't know much about the genre. Comparing it to those shows is NOT a compliment (ESPECIALLY Shiki).
__________________
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 12:03   Link #217
KLGChaos
The Shermain
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Age: 35
For those who never read the manga, this series does have horror/mystery elements, but it's also very much a romantic comedy as well. Those expecting some pure horror story are probably better off looking elsewhere.

That being said, I enjoyed the first episode. The repeat segment was cool to watch thanks to Yuuko's antics, though I was surprised that they jumped liked 20 chapters in on the first episode. I'm assuming they'll go back and explain the earlier chapters through flashbacks in later episodes, especially considering the first chapter had a LOT of important info about the mystery.
__________________
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 12:29   Link #218
Random Wanderer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Not twenty chapters in, only 5 or 6.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 12:40   Link #219
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Are people really complaining about misleading advertisements? Do people forget how prior to Madoka Magica's airing, it was promoted with cutesy ClariS song?
And everyone knew Gen Urobuchi was writing the series and would undoubtedly give it a tremendous twist. No one involved here has a comparable reputation.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 12:41   Link #220
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
1. I liked the way they started, by giving us a situation from after things had developed. I expect they will do the build-up in flashbacks. Seems like a fairly smart way to proceed, to me.

2. I just want to say that although I agree that Shiki and Another are not especially wonderful as "dark mystery/horror" stories, I thought both of those were excellent anime.

3. I was not especially thrilled by the repeat section. Seemed a poor use of the time. Maybe it's just that it gave me bad memories of Endless Eight.

4. I loved the work of Fukuen Misato as Okonogi, the talkative investigatrix. The voice work was all good, in fact.
__________________
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
horror, romance, shounen, slice-of-unlife, supernatural

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.