AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-04-09, 06:08   Link #261
August138
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Francisco, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
And Gantz and Schulz are still Human colored... and not blue? (From the Corn Pone Flicks parody "Desslok's Big Score" trailer..."token Caucasian Gamilons..."
The staff hashed out all of these kinds of details, conundrums, and other minutia of Yamato, and they decided to keep them Caucasian. Why? Because it now fits into their internal logic for what this vast Gamilas Empire is. In the original series, they felt that the enormity of this galaxy-spanning empire was spoken of, but not really brought to life. As with the ancient Roman Empire on Earth, no matter what conquered land you were from, with service comes citizenship. This is the case with Shultz and Ganz. They are beings from the conquered planet of Zarutzu (Zarutz or Zartz?). We will even see Shultz' daughter (his wife and their daughter live on the Gamilas homeworld).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Also they seem to be selling out in the theaters and with BD at the theaters. If I read the translation correctly. Is it "Yamato Fever?"
Yes, three theaters sold out in two days! Supplies running low at the seven remaining theaters (glad I had one snagged for me)! When Yamato makes the "cover" (a mock cover featured on the back cover) of the "Shukan Post"? Yes, Yamato Fever is beginning to heat up!
__________________
August Ragone
Author/Translator/Special Features Producer
Blog: The Good, The Bad, and Godzilla

Last edited by August138; 2012-04-11 at 14:49.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 06:11   Link #262
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
I guess they want to give homage to those early gamilons who weren't colored right.

Though man, how did that fubar get through? Did someone REALLY forget to send a note to the guys doing the coloring that the Gamilons are supposed to be blue skinned aliens?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 11:38   Link #263
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
So who are voicing Dessler and Domeru?

Because I can see the voice actors names...but I don't recognize the characters used in those names (I can't even find it online so far) And because the whole thing is a picture, I can't just copy paste it to do a better search.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-04-09 at 13:23.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 14:33   Link #264
August138
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Francisco, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I guess they want to give homage to those early gamilons who weren't colored right.
When you're used to seeing characters portrayed a certain way, changing them radically can just be too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Though man, how did that fubar get through? Did someone REALLY forget to send a note to the guys doing the coloring that the Gamilons are supposed to be blue skinned aliens?
That wasn't it. They weren't blue, originally. That was a decision made during production; it was felt that the Gamilas looked too human, and that the audience might have a hard time differentiating the Earthers and the Gamilas, so it was determined that they needed a more distinctive look. So, they became blue.
__________________
August Ragone
Author/Translator/Special Features Producer
Blog: The Good, The Bad, and Godzilla
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 15:25   Link #265
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post
That wasn't it. They weren't blue, originally. That was a decision made during production; it was felt that the Gamilas looked too human, and that the audience might have a hard time differentiating the Earthers and the Gamilas, so it was determined that they needed a more distinctive look. So, they became blue.
Looked *too* human? As far as I could tell, the first Gamilons looked COMPLETELY human

It makese sense (for budget reasons) on a live action TV show to sometimes have *aliens* that don't have any distinguishing physical features from humans at all. Though a bit strange in animation where rubber forehead aliens cost the same to animate as the human. I guess it was something they just didn't think of.


...though can you imagine what would have happened to the Yamato franchise if they hadn't turned the Gamilons blue?


Maybe they'll have some comical explanation for why the Pluto base Gamilons are all pink skinned...perhaps it's the effect of the terraformed atmosphere on pluto? Or maybe even not explain it at all.

Kinda like that episode of Deepspace 9 when they traveled back to TOS, and they realized there was something odd about the Klingons. (00:35 to 1:18)

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 15:36   Link #266
August138
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Francisco, California
While the voice actors for Dessler and Domel haven't been announced, Shultz/Schultz is being voiced by veteran Yu Shimaka (Misha in GUNDAM 0080: THE POCKET WAR) and Ganz is being voiced by Cho (who is also voicing Analyzer and Yabu).
__________________
August Ragone
Author/Translator/Special Features Producer
Blog: The Good, The Bad, and Godzilla
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 15:53   Link #267
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
So are Dessler and Domel's CV: listed as "Unknown" or something then at Yamato2199.net?
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 15:55   Link #268
August138
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Francisco, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Looked *too* human? As far as I could tell, the first Gamilons looked COMPLETELY human
ha-ha. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
It makese sense (for budget reasons) on a live action TV show to sometimes have *aliens* that don't have any distinguishing physical features from humans at all. Though a bit strange in animation where rubber forehead aliens cost the same to animate as the human. I guess it was something they just didn't think of.
Actually, they did. The original concept for the aliens was that they have no one corporeal form — like shadows —and that they can assume any number of forms, both human and non-human. And they are centrally-controlled by a hive-mind located on their homeworld. As they refined the story and concepts, during pre-production, and jettisoned the Greek Tragedy element among the crew of the ship, they decided to make the aliens humanoid and to be the tragic figures of the story — their human form driving home the duality of mankind to the viewer (young boys). So, the writers were able, much like STAR TREK, to touch on elements of prejudice, the human condition, and war, much more effectively, than if the opposition were BEMs. This was a BIG element of what made YAMATO tick — the tragedy of Dessler and the Gamilas and the growth of Susumu Kodai who wanted to kill the Gamilas for revenge, and then ends up questioning what they've done after Gamilas falls. That never would have worked with BEMs as the antagonists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Maybe they'll have some comical explanation for why the Pluto base Gamilons are all pink skinned...perhaps it's the effect of the terraformed atmosphere on pluto? Or maybe even not explain it at all.
I already posted their explanation a couple of posts back: Schultz and Ganz are from Sarutzu (Sarutz?), one of the conquered planets of the Great Gamilas Star Empire. This is akin to the Great Roman Empire, who would grant full Roman Citizenship to any man of their Empire — born Roman or not — for service in the name of the Empire. This was done to allow for gravitas and a sense of scope to the image of an old and galaxy-spanning Empire. Yutaka Izubuchi said that there will be other races loyal to the Gamilas Empire as well.

A lot of the original production plans, intentions, decisions, and changes in the making of the Yamato saga, are throughly documented on the official Star Blazers website. So, I recommend checking it out!
__________________
August Ragone
Author/Translator/Special Features Producer
Blog: The Good, The Bad, and Godzilla
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 16:01   Link #269
August138
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Francisco, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
So are Dessler and Domel's CV: listed as "Unknown" or something then at Yamato2199.net?
That's quite right. And the world holds it's breath...
__________________
August Ragone
Author/Translator/Special Features Producer
Blog: The Good, The Bad, and Godzilla
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 17:13   Link #270
DangerMouse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
So looking forward to this.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 17:35   Link #271
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post
Actually, they did. The original concept for the aliens was that they have no one corporeal form — like shadows —and that they can assume any number of forms, both human and non-human. And they are centrally-controlled by a hive-mind located on their homeworld. As they refined the story and concepts, during pre-production, and jettisoned the Greek Tragedy element among the crew of the ship, they decided to make the aliens humanoid and to be the tragic figures of the story — their human form driving home the duality of mankind to the viewer (young boys). So, the writers were able, much like STAR TREK, to touch on elements of prejudice, the human condition, and war, much more effectively, than if the opposition were BEMs. This was a BIG element of what made YAMATO tick — the tragedy of Dessler and the Gamilas and the growth of Susumu Kodai who wanted to kill the Gamilas for revenge, and then ends up questioning what they've done after Gamilas falls. That never would have worked with BEMs as the antagonists.
Oh of course! For what they wanted to do making the Gamilons BEM's wouldn't have worked. I was mostly talking about *humanoid* alien features, like bumpy forehead people on star trek.

Which in a way is a rather depressing commentary about human beings in general, and our prospects about dealing with aliens in the future. Humans are good at killing eachother from a distance, when it's made abstract, and we don't have to worry about humanizing our opponents. But if the enemy ARE bug eyed monsters? Even if we had to see them up close, we probably wouldn't feel any sympathy towards them.


Entertainment about how we should think about aliens as people reminds me about how most people probably would never regard aliens as people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post
I already posted their explanation a couple of posts back: Schultz and Ganz are from Sarutzu (Sarutz?), one of the conquered planets of the Great Gamilas Star Empire. This is akin to the Great Roman Empire, who would grant full Roman Citizenship to any man of their Empire — born Roman or not — for service in the name of the Empire. This was done to allow for gravitas and a sense of scope to the image of an old and galaxy-spanning Empire. Yutaka Izubuchi said that there will be other races loyal to the Gamilas Empire as well.

A lot of the original production plans, intentions, decisions, and changes in the making of the Yamato saga, are throughly documented on the official Star Blazers website. So, I recommend checking it out!
That's very interesting actually! It kinda puts the humans and these pluto guys in kind of the same shoes. Gamilon conquered and demanded their surrender, much like the humans did.

A story element like that does bring up the question of how good of an idea Earth's continued resistance to the Gamilons has been. The Gamilon are definitely the aggressors here, since they attacked us out of the blue. Though at a certain point you do have the balance the principle of resisting naked aggression, with the preservation of the human race being attacked by seemingly unbeatable force. The Gamilon are certainly willing to exterminate humanity...but they're also willing to accept surrender. I suppose to the Gamilons we're just a bunch of crazy suicidal fanatics. If we'd just surrendered the Gamilons would have been forced to kill so many people, and we wouldn't have gone out and destroyed their empire with wave motion guns.

I think I understand why the crew seemed so conflicted after they'd blasted Gamilon. They probably were thinking "was the death of so many humans and Gamilons worth the independence of humanity?"
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 22:15   Link #272
August138
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Francisco, California
Currently playing on my 40" LCD: Episode 2 of YAMATO: 2199!



Shultz and Gantz discuss keeping the Yamato firing on their carrier to themselves (and in an alien language, no less!)

Lots of background information detailed in this episode! Wow! Don't know if I should post them or not...
__________________
August Ragone
Author/Translator/Special Features Producer
Blog: The Good, The Bad, and Godzilla
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 22:40   Link #273
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Well aside from magazines, interviews, websites, and the like, we aren't getting anything else until the end of June and even those that ordered the BD aren't getting them until the end of May at the earliest.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 23:29   Link #274
August138
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Francisco, California
Unless you have someone buy them at the theater, as I did!
__________________
August Ragone
Author/Translator/Special Features Producer
Blog: The Good, The Bad, and Godzilla
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 00:10   Link #275
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Well not everyone can know someone. And even if they did there is a chance that that person would know six to ten people...and they were allowed only one copy.

Considering it was ten threaters and they seem to be selling out. It is a matter of luck and connections. Usually business connections, considering you are a translator last I checked.

I use to have a contact in Japan, but that was a very long time ago. In the AIM days.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 01:59   Link #276
August138
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Francisco, California
I wasn't trying to be a jerk, so I apologize, just saying that I'm sure that other Americans (and I know a few) and some Japanese fans are sending copies to folks in the US, and I'm sure one of them will inevitably upload them — that's a hard one to stop at this point. I just happened to have had a fellow San Franciscan who was there, and returning the day after the premiere, who agreed to indulge me. Some of my other friends said, "Hey, it's only one per customer, and I'm buyin' it for myself!" So, I was just very lucky this time... *whew*
__________________
August Ragone
Author/Translator/Special Features Producer
Blog: The Good, The Bad, and Godzilla
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 03:37   Link #277
Quarkboy
Anime Translator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Heck, I'm in charge of the BD subtitles (not actually translating them, though), and even _I_ don't have a copy of the final BD...

All I have is the ~320x240 squeezed work mpeg-1 videos we worked off of
__________________
Yomiuri Television Enterprise
International Media Strategy Chief
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 05:52   Link #278
August138
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Francisco, California
Sam: I'll just shut up now... LOL! Good work, btw!
__________________
August Ragone
Author/Translator/Special Features Producer
Blog: The Good, The Bad, and Godzilla
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 14:42   Link #279
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
If I read their site correctly. Half the theaters are sold out of BD already.

Could mean that this show will have rather good sales and thus generate a lot of income.

And encourage them to make Yamato 2201.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 16:36   Link #280
August138
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Francisco, California


A photograph of Okita's children in Episode 2. So, while his son wasn't on the Yukikaze — and seems to have been in Command — he still lost in him during one of the skirmishes against the Gamilas. Perhaps the "Second Battle of Mars" mentioned in Episode 2?
__________________
August Ragone
Author/Translator/Special Features Producer
Blog: The Good, The Bad, and Godzilla

Last edited by August138; 2012-04-10 at 16:48.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.