AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-04-12, 15:04   Link #61
paradox13
zzz
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
Clown and Crown are two different words with completely different meanings, and as such they each describe Ceasar's character very differently. That's why it matters.
A name does not describe someone's character..
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
paradox13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 15:12   Link #62
Talendra
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Buggy the Clown would like to have a word with you on that one ;-)

In all seriousness tho, while that certainly isn't the standard, there are quite a few examples of this in One Piece, may be an interesting hint; maybe it isn't; in any case, speculating about it is more productive than stating how insignificant the name of a character is.
Talendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 16:02   Link #63
Slayerx
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
I am confused of heart transfers at the moment. Mainly the Smoker/Tashigi one.

Didn't Law take a way Smoker's heart? So is it safe to assume Law transferred Tashigi's heart to Smoker?

Can some one explain it to me ?

Does any one else think maybe law and Rayleigh are related? Like blood related or at least have some history with each other.
The heart transfer was not a literally one, its just merely a representation of the mind/body swap... Basically Tashagi's mind is now inside's smoker's body, but smoker's body is still missing its actual physical heart. Meanwhile Smoker's mind is in tashagi's body. Same goes for all the strawhats; they did not literally switch hearts, it was just used to represent their minds and bodies switching around.
__________________
Slayerx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 17:14   Link #64
paradox13
zzz
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
Does any one else think maybe law and Rayleigh are related? Like blood related or at least have some history with each other.
I think Law bears more of a resemblance to Broggy
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
paradox13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 17:55   Link #65
cj1277
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
[/QUOTE]If we follow that train of thought, Was he blackmailed into becoming a shichibukai as well? It just doesn't feel like something Law would do. He's always seemed very independent in his motivations. Though we know little of him to be sure.[/QUOTE]

To be blackmailed by CC and the shichibukai ranking have a different connection for me. While the shichibukai title fits Law's personality to give him a bit more free reign as a pirate, instead of being blackmailed into becoming one by CC because CC wanted him too its more likely that he was targeted by CC for blackmail because he had the title in the first place.
Of course this is all assuming its blackmail in the first place, which is likely but still speculation.
cj1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 19:04   Link #66
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
A name does not describe someone's character..
In this particular case, it does. Sometimes a moniker/name/epithet may describe (to varying degrees) someone's character or provide an indication as to what they're like in terms of physical appearance, personality, special abilities, etc.
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 20:50   Link #67
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
You say クラウン is usually crown. Usually means most but not all of the time. That being said, in what instance(s) does クラウン not mean crown?
When it's actually a name.
You don't translate names.

You don't see Kims going around as Gold, or Mr Hayashi going around as Forrest.

So if a character had the last name of Clown, it'd be spelled the same as Crown.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 21:53   Link #68
paradox13
zzz
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
Sometimes a moniker/name/epithet may describe (to varying degrees) someone's character or provide an indication as to what they're like in terms of physical appearance, personality, special abilities, etc.
Sometimes but not all the time. Besides it doesn't matter one way or another.. it is Oda's character, what you want won't change what it will be.

So why not just put this pointless debate aside?
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
paradox13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 22:10   Link #69
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
So why not just put this pointless debate aside?
This isn't a debate (not to me, at least). I'm just being inquisitive about the nuances of the Japanese language. Nothing wrong with that.
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 00:50   Link #70
aimboy234
Proud Filipino
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Philippines
As stated above, names in some cases describe their personality. And as we know Oda have some weird taste in naming his character and the strangest one to date is Moc Donald. Too bad he didnt accept Luffy's invitation to join SH.
Speaking of new nakama, the samurai seems like an interesting one, cool DF power and comedic prowess.
__________________
aimboy234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 01:04   Link #71
aimboy234
Proud Filipino
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Philippines
Some names translation also act as an in-joke in One Piece. Like the now tall Saldeath, in the anime he introduce himself as Saru-Desu, which translate to english as "Im a Monkey", which annoys Saldeath because he hates being called a monkey.
__________________
aimboy234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 08:26   Link #72
Divine Punisher
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Iga-gakure
Send a message via MSN to Divine Punisher
keeping my fingers crossed for zoro vs. law.
__________________
Divine Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 09:41   Link #73
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
According to the One piece wiki, It's stated in data book green that he's dead.

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Sabo#cite_note-Death2-1

Honestly, I'd take most info posted on the OP wiki with a grain of salt. That being said, even if it was true that the book stated such info, it doesn't necessarily have to be concrete. Most of us already agree that Sabo's "death" scene was presented too ambiguously as it is.....



Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
If we follow that train of thought, Was he blackmailed into becoming a shichibukai as well? It just doesn't feel like something Law would do. He's always seemed very independent in his motivations. Though we know little of him to be sure.


Mind you, there could be a number of ways that CC could grab hold of Law by the balls (like threatening to reveal his secret past to the world, holding someone dear to him outside of his crew hostage, etc.). Guessing any further than that would basically be going straight into fanfic territory, but I think you get my point. And as I already said, his words to Luffy seemed to imply that he wasn't helping CC of his own volition. That being said, I see no reason why Luffy (or any of the Straw-Hats for that matter) should fight him now.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 10:51   Link #74
randomlex
In the eye of the storm
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Mind you, there could be a number of ways that CC could grab hold of Law by the balls (like threatening to reveal his secret past to the world, holding someone dear to him outside of his crew hostage, etc.). Guessing any further than that would basically be going straight into fanfic territory, but I think you get my point. And as I already said, his words to Luffy seemed to imply that he wasn't helping CC of his own volition. That being said, I see no reason why Luffy (or any of the Straw-Hats for that matter) should fight him now.....
Actually, the way I understand it, Law meant he wants the kids back, while Luffy would want his crew back to normal, that's why they'll meet again.

But it's weird that Law's crew is nowhere to be seen, maybe CC has them under lock down or they've been poisoned by some marines (hence Law asking Smoker what they're planning) and Law has to work with CC for that reason ... Lots of ways this could turn out, the Punk Hazard arc is really interesting
randomlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 05:51   Link #75
Undertaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.
At very least, it seem that currently Law and Luffy are not in conflict with each other otherwise Law would've attack him then..
__________________
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 10:17   Link #76
SMASHERJACKSON
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Honestly, I'd take most info posted on the OP wiki with a grain of salt. That being said, even if it was true that the book stated such info, it doesn't necessarily have to be concrete. Most of us already agree that Sabo's "death" scene was presented too ambiguously as it is.....
..
Agree with sabo's "death", Oda isnt a careless enough author to do such framing by accident - speaking of which, i rewatched the gold roger execution from ep 0 and noticed all of the ppl attending it have thier faces shown except for Sir Croc - leading me to believe his past involved him being a woman and suffering some trauma to cause him to seek ivankov to make him into a man.
SMASHERJACKSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 10:45   Link #77
paradox13
zzz
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
speaking of which, i rewatched the gold roger execution from ep 0 and noticed all of the ppl attending it have thier faces shown except for Sir Croc - leading me to believe his past involved him being a woman and suffering some trauma to cause him to seek ivankov to make him into a man.
Lol this again
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
paradox13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 20:31   Link #78
bonsobon
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Anyone else wondering why Law decided to do the Smoker/Tashigi mind swap? What was the point of it all? Smoker was down and out yet Law for some reason decided to bring him back into the game, so to speak. Doesn't make much sense considering what happened last chapter during their fight.
bonsobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 21:37   Link #79
Mateus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsobon View Post
Anyone else wondering why Law decided to do the Smoker/Tashigi mind swap? What was the point of it all? Smoker was down and out yet Law for some reason decided to bring him back into the game, so to speak. Doesn't make much sense considering what happened last chapter during their fight.
Well Tashigi was cut in half but I guess she put herself together which is why Law switched places with each other. I suppose Law could have just as easily mind-swapped Tashigi with some canon fodder Marine, but for story purposes it makes more sense that she was swapped with Smoker.
__________________
Account closing soon, found original account, thanks.
Mateus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 23:31   Link #80
Slayerx
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsobon View Post
Anyone else wondering why Law decided to do the Smoker/Tashigi mind swap? What was the point of it all? Smoker was down and out yet Law for some reason decided to bring him back into the game, so to speak. Doesn't make much sense considering what happened last chapter during their fight.
Given that both smoker and Tashigi were awake at the end of the chapter, we can assume that smoker was not out. "Mes" managed to KO him but it was nothing he could not recover from with some time. Smoker was bound to wake up eventually so Law made certain he would not be less of a problem when he woke up by having him and Tashigi to switch places.
__________________
Slayerx is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.