AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-04-15, 01:10   Link #1
hayate-sama
お姉さま、君はどこ
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vietnam
Age: 23
Hongkong Travel Guide

Hello guys, I 'm going to go on a 4 days 3 nights trip to Hongkong on the 28th this month so I have plenty thing to ask you guys.

+what to look out at the Lady market and how much should I bargain
+I'm looking to buy some electronic, generally PS3, Ipad2 and 3 (3G and LTE model), an 560 Ti graphic card, a 2TB WD caviar black so I want to ask what kind of price that I should expect to pay pay for them , could you guys give me some website link that I can took as a reference.
+ Since I only have around 4 hours in the morning of the 4th day, what should I do since I heard that most shop don't open until 10pm.
+ Is the price for electronic at the airport cheaper compared to the city ? if the different is less than 100 hongkong dollar I would prefer to shop there to kill time and spend less time time to worry about bring rob or cheated.
hayate-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 09:52   Link #2
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 40
I'm surprised. No responses so far? I thought there were at least a few members here from Hong Kong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayate-sama View Post
+what to look out at the Lady market and how much should I bargain
It depends on how thick-skinned you are. My late father was merciless: For all textile products, he'd start at 50%. Needless to say, plenty of stall owners would curse and protest but, being a textile boss, my dad knew very well the kinds of margins the guys were making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayate-sama View Post
+I'm looking to buy some electronic, generally PS3, Ipad2 and 3 (3G and LTE model), an 560 Ti graphic card, a 2TB WD caviar black so I want to ask what kind of price that I should expect to pay pay for them, could you guys give me some website link that I can took as a reference.
No idea, at least not for Hong Kong prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayate-sama View Post
+ Since I only have around 4 hours in the morning of the 4th day, what should I do since I heard that most shop don't open until 10pm.
Did you mean 10am? If it's the morning, just walk into any restaurant and order dim sum. That in itself is a must-do in Hong Kong. I know of no other city where people gather in restaurants so early in the morning for chit-chat over tea and snacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayate-sama View Post
+ Is the price for electronic at the airport cheaper compared to the city ? if the different is less than 100 hongkong dollar I would prefer to shop there to kill time and spend less time time to worry about bring rob or cheated.
Again, no idea. You might save on duty-free prices, but merchandise at airports are likely to be marked up, so you may not actually be saving much.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 11:00   Link #3
hayate-sama
お姉さま、君はどこ
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vietnam
Age: 23
Thanks alot, I afraid this thread gonna disappear the days I post it.

Quote:
Did you mean 10am? If it's the morning, just walk into any restaurant and order dim sum. That in itself is a must-do in Hong Kong. I know of no other city where people gather in restaurants so early in the morning for chit-chat over tea and snacks.
Yes it is 10am. I see, if the tour don't cover this, I will definitely do it.
hayate-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 18:05   Link #4
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayate-sama View Post
Hello guys, I 'm going to go on a 4 days 3 nights trip to Hongkong on the 28th this month so I have plenty thing to ask you guys.

+what to look out at the Lady market and how much should I bargain
+I'm looking to buy some electronic, generally PS3, Ipad2 and 3 (3G and LTE model), an 560 Ti graphic card, a 2TB WD caviar black so I want to ask what kind of price that I should expect to pay pay for them , could you guys give me some website link that I can took as a reference.
+ Since I only have around 4 hours in the morning of the 4th day, what should I do since I heard that most shop don't open until 10pm.
+ Is the price for electronic at the airport cheaper compared to the city ? if the different is less than 100 hongkong dollar I would prefer to shop there to kill time and spend less time time to worry about bring rob or cheated.
- I never shop at Ladies' Market. There are so many more interesting places in the Mongkok area. Fa Yuen Street is full of sports gears (especially shoes). Mongkok Computer Centre is one place to look at if you want to buy computers and electronics. At the south end of Mongkok, Sino Centre has all the anime and manga stuff. Shopping in Mongkok can easily take up your entire day.

- For computer parts and electronics, Sham Shui Po's Golden Computer Centre is the best place. Expect congested, narrow corridors.

- I agree with TinyRedLeaf that you should just have some Dim Sum for the 4th day morning.

- Don't bother buying at the airport. All goods sold in Hong Kong are tax-free, with few exceptions like tobacco.

- I bought my iTouch 4th Gen in Hong Kong. The price was not far from North American price, but I saved on the tax part. I think the story is the same for other Apple products.

p.s. HK's Disney World is pretty small. If you have been to another Disney World, you may want to visit the Ocean Park instead.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 19:57   Link #5
hayate-sama
お姉さま、君はどこ
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vietnam
Age: 23
Wow, thanks for your advice.

Quote:
I never shop at Ladies' Market. There are so many more interesting places in the Mongkok area. Fa Yuen Street is full of sports gears (especially shoes). Mongkok Computer Centre is one place to look at if you want to buy computers and electronics. At the south end of Mongkok, Sino Centre has all the anime and manga stuff. Shopping in Mongkok can easily take up your entire day.

HK's Disney World is pretty small. If you have been to another Disney World, you may want to visit the Ocean Park instead.
I think that if it is in the tour program then it is a little impossible to change the schedule so I gonna put up with it. However, I never been to a disney land before so I think I don't have any problem going there.

Quote:
- I bought my iTouch 4th Gen in Hong Kong. The price was not far from North American price, but I saved on the tax part. I think the story is the same for other Apple products.
Yes, I think for the PS3, the official price is cheaper for around 50USD compare my country (for the sake of currency conversion, 50USD = 131 330ml cocacola cans) so I think I will take my chance with the hardware there.

Uhm every recommended dimsum, then it is a must try then.
hayate-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.