AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-02-17, 18:02   Link #641
Miraluka
18 forever
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Does anyone here read Asura Cryin'?
Well, I know some things from resumes and I think the anime did a better job at making a climatic ending in difference to the novel where its left wiiiiiiide open ending making the things start all over again but with Tomoharu's sister *facepalm*.
__________________
Love songs for the genuinely cunning.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-18, 00:03   Link #642
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Just came across this as well, and after reading chapter 1 must admit that it is kinda charming.

Kudos to Baka-Tsuki forum member Krikit for the work he did....
I think Krikit helped upload them. The credit goes to Chihiro subs, or whoever made up Chihiro at that time.
__________________
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-25, 19:15   Link #643
apr
Pedestrian
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Sweden
Alrighty. Just completed Golden Time vol 3 by Takemiya Yuyuko, the author of Toradora. This is probably as good as it gets in the light novel world, with descriptions of student life so vivid that it makes me feel physical pangs of loneliness and nostalgia of youth long lost. Not that I'm old now, but reading this there's a definite sense of having moved on from ever being able to approach a relationship in that way again. Wonder if there's another author out there as good at evoking the emotion of first love in a written scene.

Fourth novel should be out next month, and with it the release of the first manga volume. Kind of hoping it'll get dramatized eventually, even if it could be summarized as advanced love soap.
__________________
...in my humble opinion.
apr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-05, 11:53   Link #644
Athena
The Power of One
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Earth
Anyone read 双子と幼なじみの四人殺し?
__________________
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 08:39   Link #645
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Very highly recommending 六花の勇者 from Tatakau Shisho's author. Absolutely brilliant. I rarely run into a fantasy WITH murder-investigationlike element (AND a closed-room case to boot!!!!). I don't want to say much but there is a manga of this as well if anyone cares. It began as a normal adventure type story and I was just half-ass reading through it, but once the "premise" is set (around end of chapter 2 iirc) I couldn't stop reading and didn't sleep until I finished it.

You know that feel when you found a book that just absolutely enthralls you? Yeah ... I love this book THAT much. Can't wait till volume 2.

You know it's an amazing month when you found 2 new series to follow
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 09:58   Link #646
apr
Pedestrian
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Sweden
Finished reading Biblia Koshodou no Jiken-techou vol 1 by Mikami En last week. I still can't figure out quite what fuels its success, but having read the book, I can at least say that it's unusually pleasant and easy to read. Mikami tells the tale of an antiquarian bookseller with a love for not just the stories, but also the books as objects themselves, with their own histories. Each chapter focuses on a new book and its previous owners. Usually there's a bit of a mystery to its background, which the protagonists try to solve through reasoning. This element along with the almost slice-of-life depiction of working in a bookshop gives Biblia the feel of a gentle detective novel with a hint of romance between the female antiquarian and the male narrator who stumbles into her life.

Nothing great or revolutionary, yet decidedly ... nice.

Also done reading Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria by Mikage Eiji. I got through it pretty fast, so it must have had something going for it, but in the end I'm left feeling disappointed. It suffers from being overly "magical", I think. Magic is fun when it works, but when it's wielded as a tool that seemingly explains anything and everything, I just stop feeling engaged. There has to be some set of rules constricting mysterious powers, so I can be safe in knowing what can't happen. When shit comes flying in from out of bounds, it's like I'm being cheated. And once something unexplainable is allowed, I'm forced to ask why there aren't even more convenient ways to solve issues, only to get bits of the author's arbitrarily applied (hitherto hidden) rule set rubbed in my face. Bleh.

In addition to these, I've chomped through Otorimonogatari and Onimonogatari, so I'm nearly done with the Bakemon series (until there's more published). Then there's the first book of Owari no Chronicle, but it was so awful that I'd like to forget about the experience altogether.
__________________
...in my humble opinion.
apr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 02:46   Link #647
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Age: 25
So apparently, thanks to Cosmic Eagle bringing this up (and reminding me indirectly we have this thread which... looking at the post above was last updated only April this year), and to quote his question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
BTW, anyone read 氷風のクルッカ―雪の妖精と白い死神 ?

Apparently it's supposed to be based on sniper Simo Häyhä
A quick Google search ended me up with these:






This is the first time I heard of it since he mentioned it, but this looks interesting.
__________________
I like to run portable on my dude, so I ran while running runs in my portably portable, dude-like dude.

Kazuma Kamachi FC

Since we are all so trigger happy about certain behaviors that we do when talking about his works.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 09:40   Link #648
whsie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle and Houston... sleeping in a car.
I'll just throw some titles out.

Full Metal Panic - action/mech/comedy/romance

SAO- action/romance
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei- action (power MC)/school life/some romance/some politics

Campione- character development/mythology/action/harem
Strike the Blood- vampires/harem
High School DxD- action/harem/ecchi/plot/comedy/character development (MC).
Hagure Yuusha- pure action (power MC)/time travel/some strategy
Oda Nobuna- history/some strategy/semi-harem
Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance- action/harem

Rakuin no Monsho- War/Tactical Strategy/Politics/character development
Madain no Vanadais- War/Tactical Strategy/Politics/semi-harem/development
Mismarca Monototogari- War/Tactical Strategy/Politics
Rain- War/Tactical Strategy/Politics/Strong MC
Roland the Forgotten King- War/Tactical Strategy/Politics/Mysterious MC

Even though I enjoy all of these works, my favorite are the last 5. Those have the strongest plot.

If someone just wants to have a nice strong MC that kicks ass, go with Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei.

For people who have enjoyed Campione, Strike the Blood is the most similar though there are only 5 volumes out so far and thus the characters aren't as developed as Campione's.
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 10:31   Link #649
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 大陸の片隅
Out of curiosity, would it be alright if anyone who's read these series share their opinions?

火の国、風の国物語 - I'm a big sucker for swords, magic and medieval fantasy and this seems like a good one, but I have no idea how good it stands. I've read up a bit about the series here and it seems to be pretty good...plus, it's already completed, so no need for waiting for new volumes!
ブレイドライン - I skimmed a bit of this from scans and it seems to be rather intensive with some obscure kanji, though I'm not sure just how intensive.
__________________
Hemisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 12:06   Link #650
whsie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle and Houston... sleeping in a car.
火の国、風の国物語

I briefly thought about recommending that, but then I withheld my recommendation. Sure, if you like a badass MC who can slaughter through an entire army by himself (literally), then yeah, you'll like it.

On the other hand, the MC isn't the brightest star out there and he's often manipulated by that dark spirit (the source of his power and often precognition) floating around him.

At first glance, it seems like an epic because of the sheer amount of countries involved and the scale of everything, but there are hardly any political maneuvering. That's not to say there isn't smart people. There are, but the novel decides not to focus on it. In other words, it's untapped potential.

The novel sets itself up as this epic, political fantasy novel, but.... it doesn't focus on it. Of all the series I've read, this was one that I was really hyped, but was ultimately disappointed. Kinda like Guilty Crown for anime.

Lastly, there's something about the author's writing style that just doesn't seem right. It's bland and a bit boring.
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 12:53   Link #651
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
If there's any series I would recommend....Owari no Chronicle easily.

Granted it isn't for everyone but still I'd say it appeals to me more than Horizon
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 21:05   Link #652
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 大陸の片隅
Quote:
Originally Posted by whsie View Post
火の国、風の国物語

I briefly thought about recommending that, but then I withheld my recommendation. Sure, if you like a badass MC who can slaughter through an entire army by himself (literally), then yeah, you'll like it.

On the other hand, the MC isn't the brightest star out there and he's often manipulated by that dark spirit (the source of his power and often precognition) floating around him.

At first glance, it seems like an epic because of the sheer amount of countries involved and the scale of everything, but there are hardly any political maneuvering. That's not to say there isn't smart people. There are, but the novel decides not to focus on it. In other words, it's untapped potential.

The novel sets itself up as this epic, political fantasy novel, but.... it doesn't focus on it. Of all the series I've read, this was one that I was really hyped, but was ultimately disappointed. Kinda like Guilty Crown for anime.

Lastly, there's something about the author's writing style that just doesn't seem right. It's bland and a bit boring.
I...see. That's a bit disappointing, but I guess I have to swallow this bitter pill down. Thanks a lot! Yeah, I was hyped up over what seems likely to be an epic, but I guess that just wasn't the case.
__________________
Hemisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 21:34   Link #653
whsie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle and Houston... sleeping in a car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhjegel View Post
I...see. That's a bit disappointing, but I guess I have to swallow this bitter pill down. Thanks a lot! Yeah, I was hyped up over what seems likely to be an epic, but I guess that just wasn't the case.
Yeah, it left a bad taste in my mouth. At least the art is good. I just visited that site and I could see how anyone would be hyped up for it. And realistically, you can roughly guess the story line just from those pictures. It's THAT generic.

That said, look at this. The Sword of Revenge in his right hand and The Sword of Compassion in his left. He would be henceforth known as the "Crimson Devil." He solo-charges into an army and there's a whirlwind of blood around him.
Spoiler for Badass MC:


If you want more political intrigue and nation-level stories, you might be better off with Rakuin no Monsho or Mismarca.

Last edited by whsie; 2012-09-19 at 22:05.
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 22:25   Link #654
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 大陸の片隅
Quote:
Originally Posted by whsie View Post
Yeah, it left a bad taste in my mouth. At least the art is good. I just visited that site and I could see how anyone would be hyped up for it. And realistically, you can roughly guess the story line just from those pictures. It's THAT generic.

That said, look at this. The Sword of Revenge in his right hand and The Sword of Compassion in his left. He would be henceforth known as the "Crimson Devil." He solo-charges into an army and there's a whirlwind of blood around him.
Spoiler for Badass MC:


If you want more political intrigue and nation-level stories, you might be better off with Rakuin no Monsho or Mismarca.
That generic? Now that's depressing.

Mmmm. Mismarca I'm familiar with, although as to how deep the Japanese vocabulary in that one goes I have no clue. Rakuin no Monsho, I think I remember having read/heard about that series from somewhere.

What about 氷結鏡界のエデン (I'm going to facepalm hard if anyone so much as mentions Kirito or SAO) or あるいは現在進行形の黒歴史?
__________________
Hemisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-20, 02:38   Link #655
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: 2D world
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
If there's any series I would recommend....Owari no Chronicle easily.

Granted it isn't for everyone but still I'd say it appeals to me more than Horizon
Problem for me with that series, simply put - it's a dictionary every vol...Interesting summary of it tho and seemingly interesting background

I kinda want to read 氷結鏡界のエデン too, can anyone tell me if it's similar to 黄昏色の詠使い , I gave that one a try and I kinda lost interest by the second volume....I know it's by the same author and all, but will it be something with a different "feel" to it~
__________________
xBakaChanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-20, 03:34   Link #656
sick2000sg
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Isn't 氷結鏡界のエデン Hyouketsu Kyoukai no Eden?

There are C>E translations lying around somewhere, you know. Just google it, and check it out for yourself.
sick2000sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-20, 04:06   Link #657
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
Quote:
Originally Posted by xBakaChanx View Post
Problem for me with that series, simply put - it's a dictionary every vol...Interesting summary of it tho and seemingly interesting background
That pretty much defines Kawakami's work lol....

But it's far less heavy than Horizon...that one is a real headache at times.
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-20, 04:09   Link #658
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: 2D world
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
That pretty much defines Kawakami's work lol....

But it's far less heavy than Horizon...that one is a real headache at times.
Lol I despair looking how many pages it have.....1 vol = 3x the size of other novels, I guess I'll start reading it once I have more time lol...
__________________
xBakaChanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-20, 04:20   Link #659
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 大陸の片隅
Quote:
Originally Posted by sick2000sg View Post
Isn't 氷結鏡界のエデン Hyouketsu Kyoukai no Eden?

There are C>E translations lying around somewhere, you know. Just google it, and check it out for yourself.
I don't follow the translation scene, so it's not like I'd know of it. While it'll be helpful in determining what the story is about and how the characters are, it'll prove little help in telling me how the Japanese vocabulary in each volume goes as I always do my reading with paperbacks (hence why I always ask about the vocabulary in the series I ask about). Thanks for the heads up though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
That pretty much defines Kawakami's work lol....

But it's far less heavy than Horizon...that one is a real headache at times.
From what a friend told me, the publishers liked what Kawakami did with the last volumes of Owari no Chronicle so much that they let him run wild with Horizon. Hence why Horizon, according to him, has descriptions of even the most minutest details. I like paying attention to details and all, but there just has to be limit to it; and Horizon just mucks all over that, from what he said.
__________________
Hemisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-20, 04:23   Link #660
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
Most LNs generally have quite ok level of vocab....unless it's terminology heavy.


Yes, Horizon is literally filled with everything....so it can give a sense of being slow to build but when it explodes, damn it really does explode.


That's why I find the anime to be a major improvement over the novels

Quote:
Lol I despair looking how many pages it have.....1 vol = 3x the size of other novels, I guess I'll start reading it once I have more time lol...
OnC is normal length per volume....no worries there
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light novels

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.