AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-04-16, 21:10   Link #281
GundamZZ
残念美人
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
That might make sense if he were actually giving her anything, rather than just taking stuff away. All he's granting her is "her father's love"; he's not even considering that she (or he, vicariously) might want anything else. He's not making any decisions for her, he's just locking her in a cage.
I think we should focus on Rea's characterization. Other characters are non-essential elements of the story. Without the negative influence, she seems like rebel without any cause. She keeps saying the laugh is just the disguise of sorrow, or something like that. She drinks the poison because she wants to get the cat boy's attention. She even asks him to take the responsibility. Without some major cause, her suicidal inclination would be less realistic. Regardless, the zombie fantasy, or rather....science fiction, is not realistic. Just enjoy the show.
__________________
流麗のヒステリア Hysteria of flowing beautifully
三つ腕のリヒティ Lichty of three arms
重剣のクロエ Chloe of giant sword
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 21:11   Link #282
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
That might make sense if he were actually giving her anything, rather than just taking stuff away. All he's granting her is "her father's love"; he's not even considering that she (or he, vicariously) might want anything else. He's not making any decisions for her, he's just locking her in a cage.
Locking her in a cage is him making every decision for her. What friends she can or cannot see. What clothes to shop for. Where she can go and when. He does stuff like this because he thinks he knows best, he thinks he's doing it all for her. He thinks he's giving her the world. He doesn't realize that he's just keeping her from it.

From her perspective he is removing all of her choices, all of her freedom. That makes him cruel from our perspective, but from his perspective he thinks he's doing the right thing. It is warped and cruel from our perspective, which engenders audience sympathy for Rea and anger at him.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 22:20   Link #283
poisui
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Age: 28
I'm glad I didn't drop the series. I didn't like episode 1 but episode 2 turns out to be really good. Considering that the manga is far ahead, I wonder which chapter the anime will cut off at.
poisui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 22:28   Link #284
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Locking her in a cage is him making every decision for her. What friends she can or cannot see. What clothes to shop for. Where she can go and when. He does stuff like this because he thinks he knows best, he thinks he's doing it all for her. He thinks he's giving her the world. He doesn't realize that he's just keeping her from it.

From her perspective he is removing all of her choices, all of her freedom. That makes him cruel from our perspective, but from his perspective he thinks he's doing the right thing. It is warped and cruel from our perspective, which engenders audience sympathy for Rea and anger at him.
From what we've seen, it's not like he's trying to teach her or mold her in any way. He's not imposing his beliefs on her. He's not telling her what she wants. The idea that she is a being that might have wants at all seems to have escaped him entirely. He's not deciding that "oh, it would be best if she did this and that" or "surely she'll need such-and-such to grow up as a fine lady." He's treating her as an object who has no purpose but to fill his own desires. Not the desires he thinks she should have, his desires...

What you're talking about is what a normal restrictive parent might think, but there's no evidence in the anime that this particular father thinks like that. Pay attention to what he actually says rather than making assumptions based on stereotypes. "The only truth in the world in my love for you" does not sound like "I want you to have what I think is best for you."
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 03:10   Link #285
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
To be fair, "later, you'll be grateful to me" does.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 05:56   Link #286
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Pay attention to what he actually says rather than making assumptions based on stereotypes.
Is there a lack of reading comprehension somewhere? He's molding her into the person he wants her to be. He is not considering what she wants, at all. He is imposing his own beliefs on her, because she's not allowed to express her own beliefs at all! It's his form of "love", it's twisted and warped but that's what it is. We are all molded by our parents in some way. Rea would be a completely different person had she been raised in another family. Rea's father cannot bridge the gap between his ideal daughter, the one he wants her to be, and the person she actually is. He uses his authority as the parental figure and his connections as a rich person to make her do what he wants and he's been quite effective at it.

This isn't assuming based on stereotypes. I've seen parents like him before, personally (not the picture stuff, but definitely the controlling part). It's a cultural problem in many nations too, hell in America they have television reality shows about controlling parents like Dance Moms and Toddlers in Tiaras.

I have not, at any point, defended what he is doing, and I absolutely agree that it is wrong on many many levels.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 06:50   Link #287
TheEroKing
Akari Edition
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: India
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to TheEroKing
^Just the fact he kept her from making any relationships clearly says the kind of man he is - a total crackpot.
__________________
TheEroKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 11:06   Link #288
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
I'm half expecting someone, somewhere, somehow to defend the father on the basis of relative morality. Because, you know, his house, his rules, and outsiders have no right to impose their values on him and his family.

"It's all relative! There's no such thing as universal rights and wrongs!"

That's usually the case when someone wants to defend controversial social mores against those of so-called bigots, usually of the conservative variety.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 11:27   Link #289
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I'm half expecting someone, somewhere, somehow to defend the father on the basis of relative morality. Because, you know, his house, his rules, and outsiders have no right to impose their values on him and his family.

"It's all relative! There's no such thing as universal rights and wrongs!"

That's usually the case when someone wants to defend controversial social mores against those of so-called bigots, usually of the conservative variety.
That totally reminds of what happened when I was banned from a certain forum because of the "liberal" tendencies of the admin. He wanted to "harmonize" the forums for the idealized "liberalism" which was supposed to be what "western civilization" stood for.


But meh, I really need to start watching.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 13:13   Link #290
Kaoru Chujo
Kuno Misaki
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I'm half expecting someone, somewhere, somehow to defend the father on the basis of relative morality. Because, you know, his house, his rules, and outsiders have no right to impose their values on him and his family.

"It's all relative! There's no such thing as universal rights and wrongs!"

That's usually the case when someone wants to defend controversial social mores against those of so-called bigots, usually of the conservative variety.
As an abject moral relativist myself, I'd like to say that some "controversial social mores" are not defensible. On the other hand, so are some non-controversial traditional social mores, such as the idea that one's own version of morality is universal. Or its corollary, that powerful nations should impose their morality on others. And now, back to our show.
__________________
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Akatsuki no Yona | Amagi Brilliant Park | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Cross Ange | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Donten ni Warau | Le Fruit de la Grisaia | Gugure! Kokkuri-san | Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de | Madan no Ou to Vanadis | Orenchi no Furo Jijou | Seven Deadly Sins | Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso | Shirobako | Sora no Method | Tribe Cool Crew | Trinity Seven | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete | Wixoss
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 13:36   Link #291
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I'm half expecting someone, somewhere, somehow to defend the father on the basis of relative morality. Because, you know, his house, his rules, and outsiders have no right to impose their values on him and his family.
Nah, the red-necks of the forum are occupied with hating other shows with more explicit boobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
"It's all relative! There's no such thing as universal rights and wrongs!"

That's usually the case when someone wants to defend controversial social mores against those of so-called bigots, usually of the conservative variety.
But on the relativist note, well you know morality is transient, but being a relativist does not necessarily imply that one has no morality (within his era), that would be lawfulness, when one discards morals in favor of convenience. From a nihilistic (aka mine) perspective, the whole father deal is just teenage angst / elderly lecherousness, as long as things don't get out of hand (e.g. he rapes her, she commits suicide, he shares the photos, etc)... now obviously (preview X spoilers) things will get out hand, and therefore none is eager to defend the dad

Now... on the other hand, where are all our contemporary feminists to curse that mother that is the worse example of subservient adult female since all the cast that Okada Mari has ever written
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 08:34   Link #292
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Under the piercing blue sky
Damn, Studio DEEN is doing a mighty fine job on the adaptation so far. I'm not kidding, I'm actually very impressed. And a bit surprised at the fact that they're moving slowly through the story. If this adaptation only gets 12 episodes, then at this rate they'll probably not catch up with the manga and have to stop somewhere in the middle. (blatantly hoping for a 2-cour adaptation, or a second season if it stops at 1 cour )

While they expanded a bit more on Rea's backstory, those few scenes are some anime original content that I wouldn't really mind. It could work as a stronger foundation, and actually helped people empathize more with Rea's life. What can I say, I fully enjoyed this episode. Everything's going well so far, I just hope the adaptation work doesn't trip somewhere along the way...
__________________
Coldlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 21:16   Link #293
potchip
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
The father character is necessary to prop up the protagonist who in all fairness is just another generic harem lead, and to draw the self-righteous fire from the audience thereby ignoring some of the more disturbing characterisations of the cast...
potchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 13:41   Link #294
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Spoiler for ep3:
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 14:41   Link #295
Kaoru Chujo
Kuno Misaki
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
...Now... on the other hand, where are all our contemporary feminists to curse that mother that is the worse example of subservient adult female since all the cast that Okada Mari has ever written
What I see is a typical situation in traditional patriarchal society. The father holds all the cards: the money, the house, the social respectability. The mother (or perhaps stepmother?) is disgusted but powerless. But who knows who she is calling on that phone...?

Without feminism, women today would not have the almost-equal standing they do. I can't just quietly accept reflex jabs against an important movement that we all have benefited from, both male and female. It wasn't that long ago that everyone accepted that women were second-class citizens, bound to obey their fathers and then their husbands. Equality has caused problems, I agree, but it sure beats inequality.
__________________
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Akatsuki no Yona | Amagi Brilliant Park | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Cross Ange | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Donten ni Warau | Le Fruit de la Grisaia | Gugure! Kokkuri-san | Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de | Madan no Ou to Vanadis | Orenchi no Furo Jijou | Seven Deadly Sins | Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso | Shirobako | Sora no Method | Tribe Cool Crew | Trinity Seven | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete | Wixoss
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 20:31   Link #296
Mef
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
It wasn't that long ago that everyone accepted that women were second-class citizens, bound to obey their fathers and then their husbands. Equality has caused problems, I agree, but it sure beats inequality.
You are misrepresenting it. It wasn't about women being second-class citizens, it was about the contract that is marriage. And that is why it was accepted by everyone.
Husbands didn't own their wives, but they owned their wives' sexuality, because they payed for it with their money.
In return for their money, they received children from their wives.
These children (both boys and girls) were considered property of the husband, because he bought them.
Children born out of wedlock were still considered property of the mother.

Marriage is a very simple contract, where one party buys something the other party offers. Since nowadays that is no longer accepted, marriage is also something that is failing today.
Mef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 01:34   Link #297
sikvod00
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Homestead, FL
Age: 28
Spoiler for Ep. 3 - Freedom through death:
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 01:47   Link #298
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldlight View Post
Damn, Studio DEEN is doing a mighty fine job on the adaptation so far. I'm not kidding, I'm actually very impressed. And a bit surprised at the fact that they're moving slowly through the story. If this adaptation only gets 12 episodes, then at this rate they'll probably not catch up with the manga and have to stop somewhere in the middle. (blatantly hoping for a 2-cour adaptation, or a second season if it stops at 1 cour )
DEEN are one of the more sequel friendly studios around... as long as the production doesn't bomb as badly as say Umineko. Look @ Zombie, Sekaiichi Hatsukoi, Hakuouki and Mago as some recent examples.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 03:01   Link #299
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
One thing kept bothering me as I watched episode 3: did the cousin get out of the pipe? Twas especially distracting when it started raining. I kept imagining her still stuck in there as it filled with water (even though the rain didn't seem to last long). I blame the panty shots; I started caring about her fate quite a bit after seeing those.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 03:06   Link #300
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
I was worried about her too. Being stuck in a pipe like that would be terrifying. It's pitch black, you have no idea how close the exits are, no one can hear you... Even if they could hear you, how could they get you out?

Not to mention the claustrophobia.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ecchi, romance, shounen, slice-of-unlife, supernatural, zombie moe, zombies

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.