AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-14, 13:11   Link #1
leia leijon

Looking for animes/OVA similar to Noein

I just finished Noein, and.......wow. It just gave me so many feelings, and I loved everything about it: the storyline, the theme, the dynamic between all of the characters (especially Yuu/Noein/Karasu and Haruka).

Can anyone suggest some others like it?
Old 2012-04-14, 14:26   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Congratulations for watching Noein. It's one of my favorites as well. Noein is pretty unique, but I can suggest a couple of other science-fiction stories that you might also enjoy.

The first would be Dennou Coil. The kids are a bit younger than the ones in Noein, but the characters and their interplay are important in Coil as well. It's also remarkably well-animated and visually inventive. The kids in this show live in a virtual reality world visible only by wearing special glasses. What was once a virtual playground has been revealed to have a darker side when it appears that a girl might have been murdered by forces at work in the VR space. I'd call this a "must-watch" if you liked Noein.

Another possibility might be Ghost Hound. This show focuses on three boys in their early teens. The main character and his sister were kidnapped when he was quite young, and the sister died. In the story the boy is in middle-school and being treated for PTSD as a consequence of these early-childhood experiences. He attempts to uncover more details from his past with the help of a rather surly boy and an annoyingly "genki" one. Ghost Hound mixes psychiatry, neuroscience, and mysticism and also sports impressive animation and sound effects.

You might also give Nijuu Mensou no Musume a try. It has some sci-fi elements and the latter half focuses on the camaraderie among the "musume" Chiko, her maid and protector Tome, and Chiko's friend Shunka. Together they form the "Detective Girls." The show begins when Chiko is kidnapped by a famous master thief named "Twenty Faces" ("Nijuu Mensou"). The script is based on characters invented originally by Edogawa Rampo, the pen-name of perhaps Japan's most famous mystery author. (The name is a pun on "Edgar Allen Poe.")

If you're open to fantasy shows as well as science fiction, you might enjoy Kemono no Sou-ja Erin. There's less emphasis on inter-personal relationships, but that's because the focus is more on Erin's ability to communicate with magical beasts. It's based on a novel by anthropologist Uehashi Nahoko, who also wrote the Moribito novels. One of those, Seirei no Moribito, is also an excellent anime and definitely worth watching, though it falls outside your request. The relationship between the two principals in that show, a young prince and his 30-year-old female bodyguard, is complex and very well-developed.

I'll toss out one more show that has a strong emphasis on inter-personal relationships though with a less fantastical story than the others. That would be Kurenai. In that show a seven-year-old heiress is kidnapped from a powerful Japanese family and placed in the care of sixteen-year-old Kurenai Shinkarou. He lives in a rundown apartment with two female neighbors, a young woman attending college and a slightly older woman who seems rather adrift. At school Shinkarou has two female friends, a childhood friend and a computer whiz. While this sounds like harem territory, that's not really what this show is about at all. (The OP itself parodizes the harem setting.) Kurenai was recently licensed by Sentai, so I can't link to fansubs here, though you'll get a big hint if you watch the linked OP. This show has more violence and more mature themes than the others concerning
Spoiler:
but nothing explicit is shown.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-04-16 at 08:06.
Old 2012-04-16, 03:49   Link #3
frubam
singing heartbreak

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I think Casshern SINS would be right up your alley =03. It has similar themes and environments as Noein as well. Just watch the 4th ep(<--that's an official Funi youtube link to it). That is what awaits ahead.

Old 2012-04-16, 08:10   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll add one other suggestion, the recent movie Summer Wars. Some parts of the story take place inside an online multiplayer role-playing game, but a lot of the story focuses on the relationship between a young couple and her extended Japanese family.
Old 2012-04-16, 11:57   Link #5
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

You may have already seen it, but you should certainly watch Neon Genesis Evangelion if you haven't. Noein is wonderful and original, but it (like so many series) owes a great debt to NGE.
Old 2012-04-16, 19:00   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I wonder if we'll actually ever see the OP in this thread again. He/she has only made this one posting.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-04-16 at 20:01.
Old 2012-04-17, 22:12   Link #7
leia leijon

Sorry for not being so active here, guys. I've been kinda busy with some things.
I've got a good majority of the suggested animes torrenting now, and I'll get the others when my queue goes down.
Actually really looking forward to most of these! Especially Dennou Coil, Seirei no Moribito, and Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Old 2012-04-17, 22:30   Link #8
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Might as well try Steins;Gate. It's a sci-fi anime concerning time-travel. It has good story, good characters, and decent romance (I think).