AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-04-19, 23:01   Link #8081
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Orlando
Hnnn...

Zenkichi's Council vs Medaka's suitors...

Kuwagama: ... Seriously... [ALL OF THEM. NAKED APRON. NOW!]

Zenkichi: ...you sure they won't kill you first...?

Kuwagama: I've already seen them in their underwear, this is the next logical step.

Zenkichi: What's logical about it?!

Kuwagama: I pronouce the beginning of the Naked Apron Alliance versus the Lingerie Team!!!

Zenkichi: ... why...why does the name alone ... excite me...?

Medaka: Oh? Hadaka Aprons vs Lingerie? I do wonder which is more appealing for the men of today...
__________________
"Focus entirely on me, you ordinary soldier."
Tempest35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 08:47   Link #8082
17Sevens
Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Spoiler for 143:
17Sevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 10:00   Link #8083
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by suikostar View Post
Its a masterpiece from its begining to (hopefuly) end. I think the manga actually got really popular in the latest arc, and as far as i know Kumagawa hasnt been that big of a factor in it, and besides this manga was popular even in the begining of it, even though there wasnt any Kumagawa....
No, the manga has been ranking horribly for the latest arc, worst since pre-Kumagawa....

Going down the livejournal WSJ rankings page...

2nd Last
3rd Last
Color Page for Anime
Color Page/Cover for Anime
8th Last
2nd Last
Color Page
7th last
Color Page
4th last
4th last
4th last
Color Page
5th last

The barrage of color page promotion to help promote the anime is just a mirage, it has been ranking horribly, especially compared to the arc prior to it. The manga is safe though, especially with the anime airing and Bakuman finishing up.. but Nisio would want to reverse this trend.. especially if the manga tanks don't lift... they have been static in growth for a long time now... though considering that the anime is looking like a non-factor...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 10:44   Link #8084
FFXFan13
Swag Level: Glasses
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland, UK
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
No, the manga has been ranking horribly for the latest arc, worst since pre-Kumagawa....
So, the Zenkichi vs Medaka arc, wasn't particularly well liked then?
FFXFan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 10:57   Link #8085
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFXFan13 View Post
So, the Zenkichi vs Medaka arc, wasn't particularly well liked then?
It wasn't doing too bad at the start.. obviously not as good as the Not Equals.... but it seemed to really fall down the rankings in the second half. It was like the opposite of the Minus arc which had to climb up from the bottom to be a respectable mid tier series whereas the Ajimu arc took something that was an upper mid performer back into the bottom 5.... It just didn't "look" bad because so many color pages were inserted during this time period due to the anime... well the anime is now out, won't be getting that "shield" for a while now.

Not Equals
Minus
Ajimu
Flask
Intro

Seems to be the right order for how the arcs were received in WSJ.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 11:00   Link #8086
Guernsey
The GAP Man
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
It wasn't doing too bad at the start.. obviously not as good as the Not Equals and Minus Arcs... but it seemed to really fall down the rankings in the second half. It just didn't "look" bad because so many color pages were inserted during this time.

Not Equals
Minus
Ajimu
Flask
Intro

Seems to be the right order for how the arcs were received in WSJ.
At introduction arcs, a lot of haters wanted the manga to fall hard so that get more Psyren again but we all know how that turned out.
__________________
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 11:06   Link #8087
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
No, the manga has been ranking horribly for the latest arc, worst since pre-Kumagawa....

Going down the livejournal WSJ rankings page...

2nd Last
3rd Last
Color Page for Anime
Color Page/Cover for Anime
8th Last
2nd Last
Color Page
7th last
Color Page
4th last
4th last
4th last
Color Page
5th last

The barrage of color page promotion to help promote the anime is just a mirage, it has been ranking horribly, especially compared to the arc prior to it. The manga is safe though, especially with the anime airing and Bakuman finishing up.. but Nisio would want to reverse this trend.. especially if the manga tanks don't lift... they have been static in growth for a long time now... though considering that the anime is looking like a non-factor...
Regarding the volume sales though, actually, I just recently caught something I thought was pretty interesting. Going off the first/second-week sales for the tankoubons I thought Medaka Box's volume sales have been static around 150,000-175,000 for a while now. However, figures released in conjunction with the announcement of the anime put Medaka Box's total sales at 3 million+, across (at the time of the announcement) a total 12 volumes. On average, then, it looks like Medaka Box's volume sales are now sitting at about 250,000 per volume. I think that's pretty respectable for right now, although Nishio is definitely trailing a lot of the other medium-range "hits" in Jump.

It's too bad that the anime really is currently looking so shitty that it won't even lead to a rise in volume sales...the sales of other Jump series which have gotten adaptations seem to practically double in general, by comparison. I do think it is basically down to Nishio improving the manga itself now for further growth of the series...honestly I think it could really use less shitty romance between Medaka and Zen.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 20/5 :: Hanayamata 30/5 :: Locodol 30/5 :: Yama no Susume 60/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 11:12   Link #8088
FFXFan13
Swag Level: Glasses
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland, UK
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
It's too bad that the anime really is currently looking so shitty that it won't even lead to a rise in volume sales...the sales of other Jump series which have gotten adaptations seem to practically double in general, by comparison. I do think it is basically down to Nishio improving the manga itself now for further growth of the series...
Just how bad is the anime anyway? I haven't actually watched it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
honestly I think it could really use less shitty romance between Medaka and Zen.
FFXFan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 11:15   Link #8089
Tenchi Hou Take
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFXFan13 View Post
Just how bad is the anime anyway? I haven't actually watched it...


In comparison to romance with kumagawa that makes no sense? Rather the issue was spent most of the time was spent changing randomly in genre's and missed the fact that a reasonable decent fighting with the genre awareness was what made this good. Not random trolling upon trolling.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 11:16   Link #8090
FFXFan13
Swag Level: Glasses
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland, UK
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
In comparison to romance with kumagawa that makes no sense?
Or cut the romance entirely, and show just who got together during an epilogue?
FFXFan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 11:18   Link #8091
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Problem with that Sol is that a lot of those announcements are shipped figures instead of actually sold.. like when J.C Staff put out a release saying Hidan no Aria light novels sold like 4 million copies or some shit... yet you look @ the Oricon numbers for the week and vol 1 was @ 150k... didn't compute. Japanese video game companies nearly always talk in shipped numbers... don't see why the rest wouldn't be the same.

Also by static growth here's the example...

104k - Vol10
92k - Vol11
105k - Vol12
71k - Vol13
69k - Vol14
103k - Vol15

6 Volumes and the opening week sales are mostly the same... Vol 13+14 had a day less to sell than the rest for this comparison... but looking @ how weak the anime is... would be a miracle if it could push Vol 16 to 120k let alone anything over 150k...

Medaka Box really should be around the same as Kuroko.. but that kept growing.... and yeah agreed on your last point Sol..
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 11:19   Link #8092
Tenchi Hou Take
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFXFan13 View Post
Or cut the romance entirely, and show just who got together during an epilogue?
I normally would agree with this, but this started out with Romance being the major marketed point was the most consistent thing amongst all the random genre changes and other crap. It makes more sense to make it less important and stil their than remove it entirely.

Anyway, TBF Medaka Box is one of the more random, Shounen Jump stories and really at this point is lacking much of a plot, going by Nisio's current routes he's taking with the story, there was a chance this was never going to become particularily popular.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 11:23   Link #8093
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
I normally would agree with this, but this started out with Romance being the major marketed point was the most consistent thing amongst all the random genre changes and other crap. It makes more sense to make it less important and stil their than remove it entirely.
The major marketed point of a manga that was close to being canceled? Besides why push a romance when people can't stand one side of the relationship? English forums, Medaka, WSJ otoh (and more importantly) Zen. (I can't remember ever seeing a male "lead" of a Jump mag rank so low in a character poll as he did in CP#2, they should be locks for Top 2, 3 at worst.)
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 11:26   Link #8094
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: By the vending machine, drinking tea.
Nishio is trying to do something new an innovative with the whole genre switching and 4 wall breaking and all that jazz. In theory it is an awesome idea, however when put into practice and against all those other great series, it kind of ends up lacking.

I find the style of the manga entertaining (and I'd love more Medaka and Zen) but it is clear that people generally like to stick to the good old standard style of manga (nothing wrong with it, Medaka Box's style was a long shot the moment it started switching from a school life comedy to a full on battle and beyond). You know a manga's style and story is weak when only a truly epic character or two are capable of bringing it up in rank.
__________________

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 11:27   Link #8095
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
The anime isn't really bad, aside from the animation being fairly simple and a lot of the voice acting feeling somewhat awkward. It's moreso the fact that they're doing a straight up, panel by panel, 2-chapter per episode adaptation in combination with a limited run of only 12 episodes. I would've been extremely happy with a steady 2-chapters/episode pacing if they were actually adapting a good part of the series...the longer the episode run the better, to wash away the taste of the crappy opening arc. But since they're only animating the most terrible part of the series, this mediocre, uninspired "faithful" adaptation is practically the worst possible strategy.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 20/5 :: Hanayamata 30/5 :: Locodol 30/5 :: Yama no Susume 60/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 11:30   Link #8096
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
The anime isn't really bad, aside from the animation being fairly simple and a lot of the voice acting feeling somewhat awkward. It's moreso the fact that they're doing a straight up, panel by panel, 2-chapter per episode adaptation in combination with a limited run of only 12 episodes. I would've been extremely happy with a steady 2-chapters/episode pacing if they were actually adapting a good part of the series...the longer the episode run the better, to wash away the taste of the crappy opening arc. But since they're only animating the most terrible part of the series, this mediocre, uninspired "faithful" adaptation is practically the worst possible strategy.
Exactly... if there was ever a time for a studio to go out on a limb.... but I knew that this was going to be a safe adaption.. because after KHARA and than TRIGGER all the talent in GAINAX is gone and they were always going to do a straight adaption without even figuring out why Medaka Box was popular in the first place.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 11:31   Link #8097
Tenchi Hou Take
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
The major marketed point of a manga that was close to being canceled? Besides why push a romance when people can't stand one side of the relationship? English forums, Medaka, WSJ otoh (and more importantly) Zen. (I can't remember ever seeing a male "lead" of a Jump mag rank so low in a character poll as he did in CP#2)
It's called consistency it's like asking for a main character change when there's another character that's clearly more popular than them, it breaks up the narrative structure and degrades closer to simple fanservice.

I've actually seen loads do that and tbf at the point of that poll Zen was being treated little more than a side character, he had barely had any importance in the current plot. It's not surprising he wasn't particularily popular then.

The anime really should have done at least the flask plan arc at all costs. It being the more standard shounen fair and was reasonably popular even if not by all that much. Doing the first arc was pretty much sending it to die.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 11:37   Link #8098
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: By the vending machine, drinking tea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
It's called consistency it's like asking for a main character change when there's another character that's clearly more popular than them, it breaks up the narrative structure and degrades closer to simple fanservice.

I've actually seen loads do that and tbf at the point of that poll Zen was being treated little more than a side character, he had barely had any importance in the current plot. It's not surprising he wasn't particularily popular then.
The first poll was done when Zen still had a prominent roll in the manga and he ended in second place.

The second however was done, like Tenchi said, around the time the middle schoolers showed up I believe, where he had a very minor roll in. That and the fact that Kumagawa sucked in most of the votes from everyone else, makes 8th place not really that bad for him.
__________________

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 11:37   Link #8099
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
I've actually seen loads do that and tbf at the point of that poll Zen was being treated little more than a side character, he had barely had any importance in the current plot. It's not surprising he wasn't particularily popular then.
Provide examples than, loads of them.

As for your "excuse", explain this too.

1st Poll

Zen - 554
Munakata - 323

2nd Poll

Zen - 672
Munakata - 807

You can say Zen was treated like a side character and barely had any importance in that arc even though it's flat out untrue.. but Kei wasn't even in that arc period and had a near 500 jump in votes.

EDIT - A lot of these votes would've been based off the MINUS ARC, not the NotEquals arc, think of the timeframe and don't forget that TOC votes themselves are 8 weeks back.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 11:42   Link #8100
Tenchi Hou Take
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Provide examples than, loads of them.

As for your "excuse", explain this too.

1st Poll

Zen - 554
Munakata - 323

2nd Poll

Zen - 672
Munakata - 807

You can say Zen was treating like a side character and barely had any importance in that arc even though it's flat out untrue.. but Kei wasn't even in that arc period and had a near 500 jump in votes.
Your missing the point, it wasn't simply that Zen wasn't in that arc, his importance in the story as whole was being pretty much remove, causing people who may have been his fans to jump ship. Combined with the fact that Medaka Box as a whole had become a lot more popular meaning a greater pool of votes meant he was pretty much being left to die. Hell Even I at that point was wondering whether Zen would remain little more than a side character from then on.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.