AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-04-25, 18:56   Link #201
Goggen
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtman View Post
Perverted old man, because it is ageism towards old guys.
Why is it "ageist"? If they made some kind of sweeping generalization that "old men are ALL pervs" then I'd agree with you, but they don't.

Quote:
Dimwitted buxom girl, because it is sexist (I'm a male feminist).
Why is this sexist? It's not like you never see "pretty but dumb" males as well.
Goggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 19:03   Link #202
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Earth...hopefully
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I'm going to say right now it's the overly bitchy yet also overly competent female lead that has teh best grades, is teh best at sports, and is teh hawtest, richest most popular girl in school/academy/group or whatever; who the male lead is either infatuated with or outright revolted by to start, but when they meet she cows said hapless male lead into following her around doing weird stuff and is essentially just put on display to do nothing other than humiliate him and show how "amazing" she is until he "come to accept it and love her" in this weird sort of Stockholm-Syndrome like way. Talk about unhealthy relationships to have.
Oh god I hate that one. I'd put that in my most hated list, but I think it's easier to just put those kind of characters in the category of "sexist characters who aren't funny". The crowning queen for me is Suzuka. Hate her with a passion.
__________________

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 19:09   Link #203
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
Oh god I hate that one. I'd put that in my most hated list, but I think it's easier to just put those kind of characters in the category of "sexist characters who aren't funny". The crowning queen for me is Suzuka. Hate her with a passion.
Yea that could work.

However, is Golden Darkness really lumped in with those people? Yes, the whole overreact to perverted situations is overdone and gets lame, but IIRC it gets toned down as she adapts to society. And being an alien assassin who's mixed on whether to eliminate her target or not makes it somewhat more reasonable. Not that I will defend TLR's tendency to repeat the same stupid gag over and over again. It's just not that good of an anime period. >.>
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 19:57   Link #204
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: hahahahahahahahaha
Age: 25
When dying characters always somehow dies right after they finish what they want to say. Extremely well-timed, I must say.
__________________
A politically ignorant person who embraces only hedonism as the main philosophical doctrine.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 20:20   Link #205
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Earth...hopefully
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
However, is Golden Darkness really lumped in with those people? Yes, the whole overreact to perverted situations is overdone and gets lame, but IIRC it gets toned down as she adapts to society. And being an alien assassin who's mixed on whether to eliminate her target or not makes it somewhat more reasonable. Not that I will defend TLR's tendency to repeat the same stupid gag over and over again. It's just not that good of an anime period. >.>
Yami is in my top 3 most hated anime female characters for a good reason (although the female from Nisekoi might dethrone her).
__________________

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 20:41   Link #206
Eragon
Star Crossed, literally.
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In the warm embrace of ice.
Age: 21
Absolutely dense male characters make me want to go on a rampage. I mean a certain level of denseness is acceptable but when they can't figure out what's in front them for the umpteenth time it makes my blood boil.
The worst offenders of this are Hayate(Hayate no Gotaku), Inuyasha, Akihisa(Baka to Test).
I know they are pretty poor examples, but I watched those three shows and it just irks the hell outta me.
__________________
Signature courtesy of rikikai
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 00:14   Link #207
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Nope, not really, just tired of the damn trope, it's a little insipid and worn out. Also I mostly don't like get why we're apparently supposed to celebrate that sort of behavior from a character. As for the female part...I'll let you know when I actually see it happen with a male character in order to compare it too.
What are you talking about? There's already lots of cases where the men drag the submissive women around, it's practically human history! But I see, so it's the behavior you don't like. Sorry, I suspected that you hate women who act all high and mighty and not being submissive (as some people might think they should). My bad.

And no, I wasn't suggesting ryona. It's just that in maid-sama, the female protagonist is very alpha even with most males around her, and yet she submits (although frustratingly) to the male protag instead of the other way around as the trope dictates. Though if you hate the behavior then perhaps this isn't for you.
__________________
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 00:31   Link #208
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines
Male density, hmm.. I think it's because it sends the message, "Never assume a girl is into you just because she's nice or all possessive or tsundere towards you."

But... just how dense is too dense really? And how males SHOULD be dense in Real Life? How can we guys be sure that the girls are REALLY into us?

Because personally, I don't want to assume a girl likes me just because she's nice, possessive, or tsundere towards me. I WANT TO MAKE DAMN SURE A GIRL LIKES ME BEFORE I ACCEPT HER FEELINGS. So yes, I AM A DENSE GUY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genten View Post
I completely disagree. Togame looked 100x sexier with short hair.. I tend to like short hair better myself, though, so I'm probably biased.

A thread about cliches I hate? I must. . . resist. . . making a ten page long post.

What is it?: Tsundere chicks.

Worst Offenders: Oh, let me see. . . just about every romance anime ever.

Notable Exceptions: Magikano, My Bride is a Mermaid, and ToraDora! are all very entertaining series while including a tsundere.

What makes it popular: I honestly have no idea. Is the idea of a girl who will beat you up but love you underneath all of that really that sexy? Guess you can hold her hand after she puts you in the ER.

Reasons that I hate it: It's way too overused. Tsunderes are so common now a days that they revert to being one note characters with tsundere being their only distinguishing trait. Tsunderes are only fun to watch if they evolve past that point.

Is the hate really worth it? Yes and no. Overused and tired cliches are a bad thing, and I really hate them, but plenty of people like tsunderes. I don't want to get rid of them entirely but want to see more tsunderes with deeper characterization. Tropes and cliches are only as bad as you write them.
Scientific research shows that Tsunderes are the most preferred moe type because observing their characteristics reflect the way people in real life track their relationships with other people.

I'll ask you a question: Which of these girls do you like the most?

- One who's mad all the time
- One who's quiet at first, then goes mad after a while
- One who's quiet all the time
- One who's angry at first then goes quiet after a while

You choose.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 00:54   Link #209
MisaoFan
Treasure-Seeking Explorer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Paris, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Scientific research shows that Tsunderes are the most preferred moe type because observing their characteristics reflect the way people in real life track their relationships with other people.
The same type of theory applies to tragedy titles : reading/watching tragedy titles makes people happy to take care of their relationships, according to scientific research.
__________________
<img src=http://i.imgur.com/O5yUSnx.png border=0 alt= />I will protect you from the darkness and I change my destiny.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 01:19   Link #210
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
For something that goes around the issue in a less obnoxious manner and mocks it really, there's Inu x Boku SS
I thought of Inu x Boku SS too. I think having a female POV character helped in that regard, since she came across as both flawed and sympathetic. If anything it's her stalker/worshipper who comes across as obnoxious.

But to be honest boiling Kyon/Haruhi, Araragi/Hitagi, etc. down to abuse, "higher than thou" and Stolkholm syndrome feels like a massive oversimplification to me (too early to comment on Medaka Box). I'd be hard pressed to say I see Haruhi and Hitagi as similar characters in the first place. Insecurity about intimacy and wanton disregard and distaste for social norms are completely different issues - and manifest in rather different ways.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.

Last edited by 0utf0xZer0; 2012-04-26 at 01:34.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 01:25   Link #211
NK_500
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nintensalem
A bishounen character who seems too perfect for his own good(so handsome, so rich, so powerful). Tamaki in Ouran is a good example.

In case your are arguing about Medaka, she actually had plenty of flaws like her superiority complex and of course animals hate her.
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 04:28   Link #212
warita
Dai-Youkai
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vienna
I consider tsunderes a cliche and an overused one at that. Whats up with all that constant screaming and aggresive behaviour. Give a female chara a highpitched annying voice and I am bound to hate her guts. Have her hit the male lead for no good reason and I am dropping the anime.

What I also hate are female characters, that look and act like kids and then they get upset when adults take them for kids. The best example for this would be that dwarf sempai from "working". I only watched the first episode and the sempai killed the mood from get go. So people think she is a child and I dont blame them. Irs not just her height that gives that impression, it is the way she behaves. One would think that if her small frame works against her, she would try to compensate by showing her maturity, but no no, she acts like a spoiled 5 years old and then gets all upset about it too and for some inexplicable reason starts banging with her fists on the male lead and rant on and ON about it.
That was annoying enough... but then the orange haired girl joined the cast and starting hitting males into their face and that was the moment I switched the episode off. Good lord, enough is inuf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_500 View Post
A bishounen character who seems too perfect for his own good(so handsome, so rich, so powerful). Tamaki in Ouran is a good example.
I dont think Tamaki is the best example. Tamaki had a troubled childhood and it didnt get better when his grandma separated him from his mother and prohibited him to see her. Tamaki also couldnt make it right for her no matter how he tried.
Is Tamaki perfect? Nah I dont think so. So yeah the highschool ladies are falling all over him, but how superficial is that interest? I mean, they go for him because he has exotic looks and because he is sweet talking them into coma. They all know it is fake and he says the same stuff to all of them, but thats not the point. They want to forget for the moment his words are just an act and they want to live the phantasy. He gives it to them and all are happy.
But when Tamaki gets serious about a girl, does he have the same type of success? I mean look at his relationship with Misaki. He likes her a lot, yet fails to communicate his feelings in the right way. He sulks half the time and.... well, at least he gets that dance at the end. But is Tamaki really perfect? I would say he is far away from it.

If I were to pick a rich, good looking and arrogant brat, I would go for Usui from Kaicho wa maid sama. Dont get me wrong, I actually liked that anime and I have nothing against Usui as such, but he is the typical stereotype. I heard he has issues too that were never shown in the anime and only manga readers know about it, but in my opinion it was a mistake they didnt anime it. The way I saw Usui he was a 2D super male lead.

There is a bunch of other examples in animes. I mean, I could name probably about 10 animes with richt super heroes right off the bat. Tamaki never striked me as perfect though.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 04:51   Link #213
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
I consider tsunderes a cliche and an overused one at that. Whats up with all that constant screaming and aggresive behaviour. Give a female chara a highpitched annying voice and I am bound to hate her guts. Have her hit the male lead for no good reason and I am dropping the anime.
Do you mean there aren't any kind of girls who are like that in Real Life? Well, okay, not as violent anyway, but are you sure girls don't hit boys for no reason in Real Life? If yes, okay, good sell. If no, then what EXACTLY would be a reason for girls to hit boys in Real Life, then?

Quote:
What I also hate are female characters, that look and act like kids and then they get upset when adults take them for kids. The best example for this would be that dwarf sempai from "working". I only watched the first episode and the sempai killed the mood from get go. So people think she is a child and I dont blame them. Irs not just her height that gives that impression, it is the way she behaves. One would think that if her small frame works against her, she would try to compensate by showing her maturity, but no no, she acts like a spoiled 5 years old and then gets all upset about it too and for some inexplicable reason starts banging with her fists on the male lead and rant on and ON about it.
That was annoying enough... but then the orange haired girl joined the cast and starting hitting males into their face and that was the moment I switched the episode off. Good lord, enough is inuf.
There are people like that in Real Life, too.

There are girls like Popura who don't look their age AND don't act their age. Age and maturity DON'T always come together. One can be a five-year-old and be as mature as a 55-year-old, and another can be a 55-year-old who still acts like a 5-year-old.

Mahiru had a very overprotective father, so he taught her that boys are such evil creatures (!) that she has to avoid them. As such, not only he taught her to punch every guy who comes close to her, he also secretly put weights in her handbag to build up her strength. I don't know what got into her father's head, but saying that all guys are evil is just plain wrong. So he wants her dearest daughter to remain a virgin forever? Great job, dad.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 05:17   Link #214
khalaggar venomtooth
Paragon
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: tamerial/morrowind
Age: 20
pfft omg ik wa tyour saying about the weapons in anime every single lil sword known to the universe of anime is katanna katanna katanna katanna katanna katanna {five weeks later] katanna katanna katanna
bet you that the newest anime is gona be about a legendery sword to vanguish butthole trolls and it well be a katanna
khalaggar venomtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 05:25   Link #215
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalaggar venomtooth View Post
pfft omg ik wa tyour saying about the weapons in anime every single lil sword known to the universe of anime is katanna katanna katanna katanna katanna katanna {five weeks later] katanna katanna katanna
bet you that the newest anime is gona be about a legendery sword to vanguish butthole trolls and it well be a katanna
What.

Because Every Japanese Sword Is A Katana, that's what.

Though, really, NOT every Japanese sword is a katana. It's just called that. Although, there ARE anime which feature Western-style cruciform swords more than Japanese ones, but most of them have Western characters, to say the least.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 05:29   Link #216
MisaoFan
Treasure-Seeking Explorer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Paris, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Do you mean there aren't any kind of girls who are like that in Real Life? Well, okay, not as violent anyway, but are you sure girls don't hit boys for no reason in Real Life? If yes, okay, good sell. If no, then what EXACTLY would be a reason for girls to hit boys in Real Life, then?
It's rare to find tsunderes in real life. I love tsundere for psychological reasons because everytime they hit idiotic boys, they need to give good reasons and act like perfect mothers rather than sadistic mistresses. I think warita thought that violent tsunderes didn't happen in real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
There are people like that in Real Life, too.

There are girls like Popura who don't look their age AND don't act their age. Age and maturity DON'T always come together. One can be a five-year-old and be as mature as a 55-year-old, and another can be a 55-year-old who still acts like a 5-year-old.

Mahiru had a very overprotective father, so he taught her that boys are such evil creatures (!) that she has to avoid them. As such, not only he taught her to punch every guy who comes close to her, he also secretly put weights in her handbag to build up her strength. I don't know what got into her father's head, but saying that all guys are evil is just plain wrong. So he wants her dearest daughter to remain a virgin forever? Great job, dad.
To girls like Inami and Arashiko, they suffer androphobia, which happens some in real life. I mostly agree with you rather than warita.
__________________
<img src=http://i.imgur.com/O5yUSnx.png border=0 alt= />I will protect you from the darkness and I change my destiny.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 07:25   Link #217
warita
Dai-Youkai
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
......then what EXACTLY would be a reason for girls to hit boys in Real Life, then?
Thats exactly my point..... I dont see why girls should hit guys with or without a reason. Isnt that like taking advantage of the fact that he cant hit her back?
Also, I have never actually seen a woman do such a thing in the public and should I know a woman who beats guys for whatever reason, I would definately distance myself from such a person.




Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
There are people like that in Real Life, too.

There are girls like Popura who don't look their age AND don't act their age. Age and maturity DON'T always come together.
And I agree. There are LOADS of people who dont look and act like their age (I am one of them)..... however, if she wants to be taken for an adult, she should act accordingly. If she acts like a spoiled 5 years old and has the misfortune to look like one as well, then it shouldnt surprise her, that people take her for a kid.

In other words: girl, if you want to be accepted as an adult, start behaving like one.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 07:31   Link #218
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Rather than hating, the tsundere should be REDEFINED. Saying the exact opposite to what you're thinking isn't what being tsundere's about. It's much more complex much like a tsundere is.
__________________
Traveler on Revenge / Ahelo Sigs / Saimoe Report! Signature by ganbaru
ahelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 08:06   Link #219
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Argentina
Panty shot first meeting! Let's abolish all the cliche's!

Meeting with your girl while skipping class to go eat lunch at the rooftop!

Niker
__________________
Arturia's Writing Den

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 08:21   Link #220
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
It's rare to find tsunderes in real life.
Afaik girls in real life (particularly of the now) does have a reputation for being wishy washy and not straight about how they truly feels. It's really not that rare for a girl to act all sullen and cold to a male they actually love. One could even argue it's the "standard" personality of most girls. Of course, them being Real Girls, their personalities can't be simplified just like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita
I dont see why girls should hit guys with or without a reason.
I can nitpick and say that you think oppressed women shouldn't strike back at their oppressors. Also, the wording could also subtly come off as "women have no right to hit men". You might not intend to, but it could come off the wrong way. Wording is important.

Why hasn't anyone came up and say "I hate men that hits women" or just simply "I hate people who hits people"? Seriously, is it the hitting or the gender roles that bothers people? Adding "for no reason" to it can make up a good enough reason to hate the act, but apparently there's also some who don't care if the one hitting had reasons or not.
__________________
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
disscusion, manga cliche good bad

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.