AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-28, 11:54   Link #21101
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
The talks were said to be about "occupied territories", and Golan Heights is one of them. And the 1967 boundaries included those hills.
No, the Golan Heights are a separate issue unrelated to the Palestinian question. Any resolution of Israel's occupation of the Heights would require a peace treaty between Israel and Syria, not something that is likely to happen any time soon. A settlement with the Palestinians would concern Gaza, the West Bank, and Jerusalem. Even President Obama's critics probably don't see his comments as pertaining to the Heights.
Old 2012-04-28, 16:06   Link #21102
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
It's not really news but, still, the topic bears thinking about.

In the capital of the forgetful

The comments at the bottom were... sobering.

I hope I never get Alzheimer's. Worst fate ever.

More specifically, I hope that there are ways to prevent it besides with drugs, like maybe continuing to learn stuff, having an active imagination, etc...
Old 2012-04-28, 16:41   Link #21103
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
In France, "they" say the settings of most TV are intentionally messed up to make the other TV (the most profitable to the store) look better in comparison.
Although obviously, no one ever had a proof of that.
The US has it's share of those debacles as well. For example here's one about Fry's selling Monster HDMI cables using a fake comparison: http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/23/m...ys-electronic/
Old 2012-04-28, 19:00   Link #21104
PzIVf3

U.N. OKs Japan's claim to extend continental shelf in Pacific

Quote:
The U.N. commission on seabed claims has adopted a recommendation allowing Japan to extend its continental shelf areas in the western Pacific, government officials said Saturday. The U.N. Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf has recognized around 310,000 square kilometers as part of Japan's continental shelf, equivalent to about 82 percent of the country's total land area, the officials said. (Mainichi) (News On Japan)
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120429a1.html

Okay China what your reaction?
Old 2012-04-28, 19:18   Link #21105
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
U.N. OKs Japan's claim to extend continental shelf in Pacific

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120429a1.html

Okay China what your reaction?
I would wonder more about Russia's reaction; aren't they claiming a big part of the north's pole as extention of their continental shelf as well ?
Old 2012-04-29, 01:57   Link #21106
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
I would wonder more about Russia's reaction; aren't they claiming a big part of the north's pole as extention of their continental shelf as well ?
What about it? Japan claims "continental shelf area far to the east of Okinawa", it has nothing to do with north pole
Old 2012-04-29, 07:15   Link #21107
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

London 2012: Missiles may be placed at residential flats
Old 2012-04-29, 08:12   Link #21108
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Quote:
"They say they'll only use them as a last resort, but... you'd shower debris across the east end of London by firing these missiles."
Oh jeez, he's right. Well then, I guess when shit hit the fan and someones about to carpet bomb east London, we better not fire those missiles. We might spread debris everywhere.

I understand the dangers of militarism, but sometimes when you read things like this, you understand why fascism seems to attractive to people. Sometimes civilians are just completely dense about security/military related matters.
Old 2012-04-29, 08:42   Link #21109
Sumeragi
Banned

People are overstating the problems. This is most likely a handheld AA missile, not some Patriot. It wouldn't leave that much debris.
Old 2012-04-29, 09:06   Link #21110
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
People are overstating the problems. This is most likely a handheld AA missile, not some Patriot. It wouldn't leave that much debris.
It is small sized, but not handheld, my dear. The first thing I thought of when the term HVM came in is Starstreak.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-04-29, 09:11   Link #21111
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

The reason why you normally don't plant SAM sites on residential roof tops, is that it paints a huge target on them and you're taking your own civilians hostage by forcing an enemy to take them out.

It's certainly not because of debris.
Those can come down anywhere and it's usually better to get hit by debris, than by the actual payload of an attacker. The debris would be the same, no matter if the launcher is on a roof top, or somewhere nearby.

But somehow I don't think eventual terrorists will try to take out SAM sites by airstrike.
Old 2012-04-29, 09:35   Link #21112
Kirarakim

92 Year Old Bootleg Pirate who sends his burned discs for a good cause.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/27/ny...ewanted=1&_r=1
Old 2012-04-29, 09:35   Link #21113
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
It is small sized, but not handheld, my dear. The first thing I thought of when the term HVM came in is Starstreak.
I'm basically saying that the HVM part is most likely a fearmongering false rumor.

Also, more importantly, Starstreak can be launched by hand.
Old 2012-04-29, 10:02   Link #21114
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I think it would be kinda cool to live in a flat that has missiles on the rooftop but maybe that's just me . XP
Old 2012-04-29, 10:08   Link #21115
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

As long as you don't live in Gaza, otherwise you should leave at the first occasion...
Old 2012-04-29, 10:13   Link #21116
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I'm basically saying that the HVM part is most likely a fearmongering false rumor.

Also, more importantly, Starstreak can be launched by hand.
My mistake.

I don't think they would just mount one there with a crew.....I was thinking likely it would be a multi-launch array with a 3x3 or 6x6 that is portable but not MANPAD sized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I think it would be kinda cool to live in a flat that has missiles on the rooftop but maybe that's just me . XP
You can always build something like this. The oldies British Parliament would love to reinstate DORA though, so you have to camoflage them.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-04-29, 11:25   Link #21117
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
So hardcore.

*bad joke about Germany attacking GB here*
Old 2012-04-29, 11:36   Link #21118
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

It is all the Russians' fault. The Communist Code determined that every Russian will have a missile to defend the motherland with, and now the British want it too.

Old 2012-04-29, 15:03   Link #21119
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
You can always build something like this. The oldies British Parliament would love to reinstate DORA though, so you have to camoflage them.
I'd love to but considering my ethnicity and religious background, if I was caught doing that it would be a one hell of bitch to explain.
Old 2012-04-29, 15:46   Link #21120
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I'd love to but considering my ethnicity and religious background, if I was caught doing that it would be a one hell of bitch to explain.
Anyone would had a hard time explaining owning such ''hardware'' at their house. But it's true than being either Irish or Muslim might not help.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international