AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-05-03, 13:33   Link #1
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
The Elder Scrolls Online: MMORPG

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403944,00.asp

More information promised in June. Game will be released in 2013 for PC and MAC. Nothing much else.

A bit early to have a thread honestly, but ugh that's just so exciting to hear as a Morrowind fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethesda
Players will discover an entirely new chapter of Elder Scrolls history in this ambitious world, set a millennium before the events of Skyrim as the daedric prince Molag Bal tries to pull all of Tamriel into his demonic realm.
The world boss better dual wield giant green maces of buttrape.

What makes my nerd hormones tingle is the thought geography. To play a mmorpg where the geography is set in Tamriel that I am oh so familiar with. Unless it's one of the un-featured provinces I hope it's the entire continent.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 14:20   Link #2
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Hah, was just going to create a thread on this, just got told by a guy I watch on youtube . 2013 very soon, very exciting, but also worrying, as I do hope they don't drop the singleplayer games.
Old 2012-05-03, 14:24   Link #3
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

... an MMO of Elder Scrolls negates the one unifying aspect of the original games. Why would anyone think this is a good idea?
Old 2012-05-03, 14:28   Link #4
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I'm sceptical about it cuz TES is mainly Solo RPG but when i read "Like 5 years development" "Matt Firor developer & designer of Dark Age of Camelot" "3 factions , PVP" & obviously RvR(realm vs realm or world vs world for GW2) immediately get me exciting
Well , let's see.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 14:31   Link #5
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi
but also worrying, as I do hope they don't drop the singleplayer games.
I am pretty sure they won't. If this was after Skyrim, then I'd be worried. It seems more like a filler side project.

While it's very little to go by, the fact that the mentioned the timeline and the theme of destruction brought by Daedric Prince Molag Bal, it's a close assumption that the game will be plot heavy which exists in the minority of mmorpg. There's a lot plenty of co-op multiplayer RPG's but these guys said it's MMO.

While playing Skyrim, I had many situations where I would fantasize about how to change certain elements to make it multiplayer. The old nordic ruins that are scattered in Skyrim with multiplayer could become a very puzzle like co-op instance dungeon like Portal.

What I am very concerned about is the game engine. Is it completely from scratch and unique, or is it a expansion/remake of Skyrim's engine with multiplayer compatibility? Will they preserve the leveling style of having your core level increase based on how many skill-specific level-up's you accumulate? That is very novel in MMORPG.
Old 2012-05-03, 14:32   Link #6
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Plus its on a Mac , so it might get to play it.
Old 2012-05-03, 14:34   Link #7
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I am pretty sure they won't. If this was after Skyrim, then I'd be worried. It seems more like a filler side project.
Yeah, thank god for that. I wanted to continue the Warcraft story after Frozen Throne, but then the story was continued in World of Warcraft and I'm not falling for that trap. I'd dread if it happened to Elder Scrolls as well.
Old 2012-05-03, 14:39   Link #8
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

As expected , Day 1 , on many sites with this news , there are already lot of people/fanboys who are bashing it.... people talk too fast... & don't even try to know why....
Old 2012-05-03, 14:49   Link #9
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Well here's my share of criticism of Bethesda's current franchise and how MMORPG will be a challenge for them.

Their games were always easy. (Oblivion's mobs scale, that's a terrible way of managing difficulty as a player becomes stronger. It's horrible and unsatisfying). Their selling point was single player role-playing and story.
- In MMORPG, you can expect players to team up and have the ambition to achieve challenging tasks. They need to step up on difficulty. (Skyrim modders did this horribly like dragons that just one hit AoE's you)

Their methods of combat were totally imbalanced. That didn't matter in a story telling single player.
- In MMORPG, players will want to compete in PvE, PvP, GvG and realm wars. From elder scrolls 3 to 5, the different builds were never even. Some are always incredibly over powered to others.

Debugging
- Bethesda just straight up suck at this. All their games are terribly half-assed when it comes to seamless programming. I hope they actually spend some time before release in doing that. I'd hate to play a mmorpg and have all my stuff corrupted/deleted because of a bug and a patch.

What I will love almost definitely: Bethesda's female characters aren't ridiculously slutty fan-service-y designs with unrealistic fantasy armor.
Old 2012-05-03, 15:37   Link #10
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Wait...

MMO's focus on combat at the expense of roleplaying.

Combat has always been the crappiest aspect of Elder Scrolls games while it has always done a good job at roleplaying.

... If you'll excuse me, I remain highly skeptical.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 17:32   Link #11
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
As expected , Day 1 , on many sites with this news , there are already lot of people/fanboys who are bashing it.... people talk too fast... & don't even try to know why....
You think we have no reason to fear? When is Blizzard making Warcraft 4?

I will NEVER touch a TES MMO. Not my thing. So if TES gets transfered to MMO then I will never play another TES game. I know it is made by a different studio, but my point stands. People who want to play MMOs have no business playing anything TES.
Old 2012-05-03, 18:11   Link #12
Xion Valkyrie

GW2 already feels like a TES MMO, so this game would have a lot to compare against.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 18:30   Link #13
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Dear developers,

Stop making MMOs from existing single-player RPG properties. Seriously, just fucking stop. It's a lore trainwreck every time and it's IP necromancy.

Make a new goddamn IP for your MMO.

Sincerely,
every gamer ever.
Old 2012-05-03, 19:38   Link #14
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
People who want to play MMOs have no business playing anything TES.
Says you. I play MMO's, and I also happen to love the TES series. Who are you to say I can't play and legitimately enjoy both?

I'm excited to see what they do with the game. Unlike every other gamer on the internet, I'm not a pessimistic asshole who bemoans anything and everything. I'll give the game a legitimate chance before I form an opinion of it.
Old 2012-05-03, 21:20   Link #15
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Says you. I play MMO's, and I also happen to love the TES series. Who are you to say I can't play and legitimately enjoy both?

I'm excited to see what they do with the game. Unlike every other gamer on the internet, I'm not a pessimistic asshole who bemoans anything and everything. I'll give the game a legitimate chance before I form an opinion of it.
You can play TES, and you can play MMOs. But if you play TES but wanting it to be an MMO, then you are playing it wrong.

Nothing wrong with enjoying both; but it IS wrong to combine them.
Old 2012-05-03, 21:25   Link #16
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

Quote:

Nothing wrong with enjoying both; but it IS wrong to combine them.
Ugh. I just don't understand why its so wrong to want a TES MMO. I really don't. But again, I'm not a cynic like the rest of the worlds gaming population. I want a TES MMO, so I guess that makes me a bad person.
Old 2012-05-03, 21:30   Link #17
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Ugh. I just don't understand why its so wrong to want a TES MMO. I really don't. But again, I'm not a cynic like the rest of the worlds gaming population. I want a TES MMO, so I guess that makes me a bad person.
What do you think TES is about? No, seriously. Do you think TES is about being a speck of sand on the beach, surrounded by people exactly the same as you, and essentially living like an NPC? To have the universe staying the same no matter what you do, because everything resets for the next group of players?

TES is about being The One. Wielding the CHIM, and all the power and responsibility that entails.

In an MMO, you are just an adventurer. In TES, you are the Hero.
Old 2012-05-03, 21:35   Link #18
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

Quote:
What do you think TES is about? No, seriously. Do you think TES is about being a speck of sand on the beach, surrounded by people exactly the same as you, and essentially living like an NPC? To have the universe staying the same no matter what you do, because everything resets for the next group of players?

TES is about being The One. Wielding the CHIM, and all the power and responsibility that entails.

Oh, I fully understand what you're getting at (if a bit too seriously perhaps), but it still doesn't change the fact that I'm incredibly interested to see how they make an MMO out of the TES universe.
Old 2012-05-03, 21:50   Link #19
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I am dubiously optimistic about this. I love TES world, and I would love to be able to adventure with a friend or two as a party, but MMO's are often watered down adventures and stories. Never mind the class imbalances or flow. If the class system doesn't play like it did in Morrowind -> Skyrim then it isn't a TES game.
Old 2012-05-04, 04:32   Link #20
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Quote:

Well , i guess we'll play the adventurers before they took an arrow to the knee

Anyway , i'm not against TESO but the thing is if Bethesda will work on a new TES.
Who knows , TESO isn't made by Bethesda so they have the times to work for a new game , new Fallout or TES ?
I think the first trailer will be at E3 2012.