AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2005-12-20, 09:50   Link #1
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

What's the deal w/ Duel Masters?

I've been pondering on this for a while...is this a actual japanese anime or an american made one that is just makin fun of japanese anime in a way...cause the way like.........every episode is refers to something in real life...like P. Diddy and not wanting to annoy the voice actors w/ underwater effects.....it could be a actual japanese anime that was just butchered to all sorts of hell...but I dunno anymore....

Opinions? Discuss...
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-20, 10:50   Link #2
Dark`
The Terror of Death

I can't say for sure...but my opinion is that the original was butchered to hell. I mean, Duel Masters (from what I hear) is a watered-down version of Yu-Gi-Oh! (which, consequently, is essentially a watered-down version of Magic: The Gathering in some respects). That's somewhat weird since Yu-Gi-Oh! is a game meant for kids anyways, why the need to water it down further?

But yeah, I dunno why that happens. I'm not sure if it was like that in the original too, or if it's just for dubs, but many 4Kids dubs like Pokémon, Duel Masters and B Daman(sp?) usually have sequences where they basically refer to it as an actual show (characters making mention of scripts, directors and such). I know that happens in wacky comedies and parodies (something along the lines of Pani Poni Dash! would qualify imho), but those shows don't exactly fall into either of those genres.

Wow, that was longwinded of me. But to make it simple...my opinion? Original was pretty kiddy and probably didn't take itself too seriously, but it was still butchered when it got to North America.
[14:22] <~lucifer> Dark` has to stay around to QC Genshiken s2
[14:22] <~lucifer> since you guys won't
[14:22] <~lucifer> So he gets the blessing of "Least Faggoty".
[14:22] <@Dark`> =D
[14:22] <~lucifer> Then after I finish Genshiken S2 dvd rips, he's free game.
[14:22] <~lucifer> (Read: Canada's getting blown up.)
Dark` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-20, 20:08   Link #3
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

They have to change it. The show has a lot of jokes in it the most likely only the japanese would get. It would just be retarded and dull to the not-as-knowledgeable-about-anime-viewers who would watch it in the US.

DOCKING MODE~
Shiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-20, 23:01   Link #4
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

It's an actual anime i believe the only reason that it seems like it's not is cause if i remember correctly they completely rewrote the entire script for that show...so they use little to none of the original dialogue...maybe except during the few moments where it actually has a plot

I'll be honest and say that i really don't like that show...i mean i don't hate it like i do some others...but that show just doesn't interest me one bit...It's too "random" and has too many lame jokes...

SENIOR MEMBER 2 OF
"The so exclusive club, you cannot join, umm err, club!"®

-established Oct 26, 2003-

Hate goes out to any imitations, relation, or blatant wanna-be of stated club
- The ONE and ORIGINAL -
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 03:54   Link #5
Dark Lord Zenigame
ロリコン

Send a message via AIM to Dark Lord Zenigame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiryuu
They have to change it. The show has a lot of jokes in it the most likely only the japanese would get. It would just be retarded and dull to the not-as-knowledgeable-about-anime-viewers who would watch it in the US.
This is a statement that is never true...

...have you even watched the English dub? What they did to it causes the show to make no sense whatsoever. ._.
何物にも捕われる、
縛られず、
ただあるがままに己を生きる。
Dark Lord Zenigame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 12:25   Link #6
Advocate

Well ive watched alot of the show over breakfast and I have to say they really must of redid the script I mean certain scenes are just still shots with voiceovers but what really made me go "what is going on" was an episode around the time Shoubu duels Hakuoh and they announce the previous champion is Greg the bunny?!?!? A character from a failed american sitcom in an anime? I was suprised and that couldnt have been in the original or at least I highly doubt it was. I often wonder what the orginal show is like but the dub is kind of funny because its so ridiculous.
Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote