AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-09, 17:16   Link #1
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

Instead of upgrading to VB4, migrate to XenForo

Instead of Upgrading to a about dead forum software, migrate to XenForo a new and extremely nice forum software. http://xenforo.com/
EDIT: Also, taptalk support.

Last edited by SolarAquarion; 2012-05-09 at 18:48.
Old 2012-05-09, 18:34   Link #2
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

I approve of this

Niker

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Old 2012-05-09, 19:08   Link #3
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Dead forum software?
Old 2012-05-09, 19:30   Link #4
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Dead forum software?
it isn't completely dead but vb4 isn't exactly the most advanced forum software.
Old 2012-05-09, 20:59   Link #5
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xezexal View Post
it isn't completely dead but vb4 isn't exactly the most advanced forum software.
Most advanced? Maybe, maybe not. We'll decide how to upgrade based on what best suits our interests.

Your feedback is noted and appreciated, but unless another staff member wants to chime in there's really not much to discuss here, so I'll be closing the thread for now.
Old 2012-05-09, 22:54   Link #6
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I'm going re-open this for now, but only for one reason: what exactly is/are the compelling feature(s) that this software has that our Forum currently lacks?

I don't buy the argument that vBulletin is dead (it's very much not), nor that this new software is automatically nicer just because it's newer. But if there are compelling features that would offer a significant benefit to our members, we should at least consider what those features are, whatever forum software we use. The software decision should be driven by the functionality, and counterbalanced by the effort required to migrate what we currently have and what we'd be giving up in the process. To be honest, I'm not sure it's very likely that we'd consider a change in software unless there were a really compelling reason to change, and I don't see one so far. Change for the simple sake of change is unlikely to happen (because that just results in chaos).

Please only reply if you're familiar with this alternate software and have input about features this software has that you'd like to see on AnimeSuki Forums.
Old 2012-05-10, 11:16   Link #7
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I am not really familiar with XenForo, so I did some Googling.

It would seem that XenForo is made by former vBulletin developers who disliked the direction vB4 was taking. And it is well known that vB 4 (initially at least) was indeed quit messy. I do like the idea of XenForo being completely redesigned and built from scratch with modern ideas about what a forum should be compared to the incremental upgrade that vB 4 is.

However there do appear to be two things holding XenForo back: first it is very new (only v1.1.2) so there is obviously not as much plugin/add-on/customization support as vB has. Second and more worrisome is that XenForo is being sued by (the owners of) vBulletin, and that lawsuit hasn't been settled yet. If (a big if!) we should move to XenForo it would be a problem if development would cease some time after we move should XenForo lose the lawsuit.

But having said that... I have not tried XenForo yet so I can't say anything on whether I would actually like using it from a user and/or admin point of view. From what I read there are some features people are sure to like (can see who quoted you for example), but some people in the "vB vs XenForo" threads I've read also seem to dislike the interface.

So for now I agree with relentlessflame above... please tell us more about what makes XenForo better than vB 4.
Old 2012-05-10, 11:38   Link #8
Dr. Casey

Does XenForo have Visitor Messages? Because if it doesn't then nuh-uh buddy, there's no way we can change, no way no how
Old 2012-05-10, 11:45   Link #9
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Does XenForo have Visitor Messages? Because if it doesn't then nuh-uh buddy, there's no way we can change, no way no how
Yes, XenForo has visitor messages. Do you like the facebbok status update thing?
Old 2012-05-10, 12:08   Link #10
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

This may be of help imo!
Old 2012-05-10, 12:16   Link #11
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
I am not really familiar with XenForo, so I did some Googling.

It would seem that XenForo is made by former vBulletin developers who disliked the direction vB4 was taking. And it is well known that vB 4 (initially at least) was indeed quit messy. I do like the idea of XenForo being completely redesigned and built from scratch with modern ideas about what a forum should be compared to the incremental upgrade that vB 4 is.

However there do appear to be two things holding XenForo back: first it is very new (only v1.1.2) so there is obviously not as much plugin/add-on/customization support as vB has. Second and more worrisome is that XenForo is being sued by (the owners of) vBulletin, and that lawsuit hasn't been settled yet. If (a big if!) we should move to XenForo it would be a problem if development would cease some time after we move should XenForo lose the lawsuit.

But having said that... I have not tried XenForo yet so I can't say anything on whether I would actually like using it from a user and/or admin point of view. From what I read there are some features people are sure to like (can see who quoted you for example), but some people in the "vB vs XenForo" threads I've read also seem to dislike the interface.

So for now I agree with relentlessflame above... please tell us more about what makes XenForo better than vB 4.
264 add-on's are too little? And also XenForo has great customization support. Also as Milan posted, the suit is built upon assumptions and not really reality.
Old 2012-05-10, 12:46   Link #12
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

can you make list of advantage for moving to xenfore instead to vbulletin 4
Old 2012-05-10, 14:27   Link #13
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I'll take a site dedicated to "exposing the truth" of another organization while embracing a competitor with a grain of salt, no offense. It does help shed some light, but that doesn't always mean the light is pointed in the right direction.

And since the discussion is open on this, XenForo may be one alternative, are there others? This is an open ended question, but please do more than just link to alternatives. Explain why any alternatives would be better than VB4 with as much detail as possible.
Old 2012-05-10, 16:09   Link #14
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I'll take a site dedicated to "exposing the truth" of another organization while embracing a competitor with a grain of salt, no offense. It does help shed some light, but that doesn't always mean the light is pointed in the right direction.

And since the discussion is open on this, XenForo may be one alternative, are there others? This is an open ended question, but please do more than just link to alternatives. Explain why any alternatives would be better than VB4 with as much detail as possible.
I personally think the three top forums are Vb, Xenforo, and IPB.
First of all XenForo gives you a full demo board to use which neither IPB, nor VB gives.
Second of All XenForo is what happens when you mix IPB and VB together.

Although, making me say why you should do X is quite hard......
Old 2012-05-12, 10:09   Link #15
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Second and more worrisome is that XenForo is being sued by (the owners of) vBulletin, and that lawsuit hasn't been settled yet.
Sounds like a reason to wait and see to me. The only place that "the suit is built upon assumptions and not really reality" can be determined is in court.
Old 2012-05-12, 17:25   Link #16
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Yup, well I guess I'll relock this thread for now, as there doesn't seem to be any compelling argument here at this time. If there's a specific feature that someone thinks would be a benefit, please feel free to propose the specific feature as a request that could be considered as part of a future update.