AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-05-28, 21:10   Link #41
kujoe
from head to heel

True, but then what for?

You already know anyway since it's practically a given from the very beginning. Moreover, all of that is already reaffirmed in the New Year episode. For better or for worse, Boys Be went for the subtle, understatement route and that goes for all of the relationships in the story.

Personally, I think there's impact in that manner too, (show me, instead of telling me) though perhaps a special OVA episode of sorts could've made the whole thing a bit better.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-28, 23:17   Link #42
crimmy88

IMO it'd be more convincing if they did that..because we're not given even a hint whether they just remain as friends or start a better relationship with each other. Maybe the last exchange they had were just friendly greetings or something or maybe it wasnt..we wouldnt know (unfortunatey).. So yeah, I guess an OVA is indeed needed which...isnt possible -_-
crimmy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 02:07   Link #43
KittiKat16
Meww =3

Send a message via MSN to KittiKat16
Is it good? What would you rate it out of ten?
Old 2007-05-30, 20:31   Link #44
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

If you like Shoujo, it's a 8.5.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 23:00   Link #45
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Now that I have the whole box set (all for the low low price of CAN$110 >_>), I marathoned it to have a recap on things since its been more than half a decade since I last saw this.

For the dubbing, it was ok until I felt it failed at the most critical moment in the entire series. When I was watching it in the dub in the Shoko episode at the stairway scene, I felt that the English VA of Chiharu didn't quite capture her character. It was far easier to distinguish it in the Japanese audio, where the Japanese seiyuu's tone when she called her female friends over was distinct when compared to her line before.

I noticed that because even after half a decade I remembered my heart wrench during that particular scene; with that one line, the seiyuu conveyed Chiharu's shame (for betraying Kyoichi during that time), jealousy (if she hasn't realized it before, now she realizes that Kyoichi really is the one for her), and despair (for being unable to do or say anything about Shoko because it was HER fault for the breakup). Which is a shame for the English dub, since I bet most people who watches the dub won't get that impression, and thus many would have no sympathy for Chiharu.

(And oh yeah, the english VA of blonde Chiharu really can't hold a candle to Megumi Hayashibara. But then again, not very many VAs can, English, Japanese, or otherwise. ^^; )

As for people not liking the ending, I guess subtlety is not everyone's cup of tea. Though how enjoyed the series through 12 episode of subtelty before seeing the ending, I don't know. I mean, the painting, the 'missing' baseball, the photograph, etc. from episode one it has all been but subtelty. Heck, they don't even show how Yumi hooked up with her BF, other than the fact they really did enjoyed each others company. I don't see how the ending is any different; IMHO, the ending was fantastic.

Though they really are apples and oranges... Boys Be better than KGNE? Even if this is the series that more or less turned me from a casual fan to a harcore otaku for anime (AnimeFactory, thank you very much!), even if this has the better music (which is a big plus in my book, coming from someone who stuck through SEED and GSD only because of it), and even if Boys Be has Osana-Najimi (I think I'm the biggest sucker in the world for that), I personally still don't think Boys Be holds a candle to KGNE. While sure, I think I'm going to rewatch Boys Be more than KGNE, but that's only because of the WAFF factor of Boys Be which carries over better with rewatches than the soap-style plot of KGNE. But on first watch, KGNE IMO blows almost all anime out of the water in terms of plot: it hits you like a truck (pardon the pun) in the second episode, and it takes you on an emotional rollercoaster till the very end. YMMV of course.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 23:08   Link #46
crimmy88

Quote:
I remembered my heart wrench during that particular scene; with that one line, the seiyuu conveyed Chiharu's shame (for betraying Kyoichi during that time)
what line? I dont really remember Chiharu playing a big part after ep7.. o_o care to share pls? perhaps i can like her character better :X
Old 2007-06-02, 23:18   Link #47
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

^
Right after Shoko and Kyoichi hooked up and exchanged bracelets, we are shown the gang eavesdropping on them in the stairway. Chiharu notices the gang, asks what they were doing in a normal voice, realizes the situation, and then suddenly and coldly asks Yumi and Aki to come with her to the school store. First episode of the third volume of the R1 DVDs.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-06-02, 23:33   Link #48
crimmy88

Ah ok thanks.. I'll check that out.. its the ep after the betrayal right? the one with the rocker girl? (I dont have official dvd releases just old fansubbed ones :|)
Old 2008-12-19, 19:59   Link #49
gaoyuanyuan1

the guy Kyoichi is really annoying. He did nothing , nothing speacial about him. Does anyone know about Boys be manga? Does it have the same story like the anime?
gaoyuanyuan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-19, 20:33   Link #50
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Boys be manga are all stand alone stories about boys looking up girls panties.

You can see that each story of the anime is taking from the manga but there is no 1 character that is kept the same in the Manga.

Old 2008-12-19, 20:40   Link #51
gaoyuanyuan1

Thanks for your answer. but I want to know if the story of Kyoichi and Chiharu happens in the manga ? because the anime is kind of lame about this couple so I wonder if the manga has more development and a better ending ?
Old 2008-12-19, 21:08   Link #52
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Nope...there isn't a Kyoichi and Chiharu but there are stories with people who look a lot like Kyoichi. I don't remember ever seeing a Chiharu looking character. The closest would be the 'Other' Chiharu since she has the standard face, but no Amazon girl.

The manga doesn't have an ending to speak of. It's really short stories. Each book contains about 5 of them and each of them lasts 3 or so chapters. In fact in the first book, the main hero looks like the Baseball guy.

Old 2008-12-20, 15:48   Link #53
gaoyuanyuan1

Thanks, once again, is that any story in the manga similar to that one? it is kind of twist but they could have done better in the anime.
Old 2009-10-15, 23:50   Link #54
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaoyuanyuan1 View Post
Thanks, once again, is that any story in the manga similar to that one? it is kind of twist but they could have done better in the anime.
I read some of the manga, it's actually quite long and interesting; pretty similar to Salad Days and Girlfriend.

Back to the anime...I kinda liked this show.

It was really shocking when Chiharu cheated on him. It's true, they weren't really "going out" but you can tell they were in love with each other, especially since they were childhood friends. I feel Chiharu didn't really fall in love with that other guy, more like she was attracted to him because he was way more handsome than Kyoichi.

The other relationships weren't that interesting imo, but the ending was screaming for a 2nd season. I believe Chiharu should have said "I'll chase after you" instead of "I'll be waiting for you", but whatever.
Old 2009-10-16, 20:50   Link #55
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Wait, you've seen the extra episode right? You know, the one that ends with "Tadaima... Okaerii"?

Spoiler:

As for the manga, I can't stomach the old artwork of the older Boys Be. The newer one is bearable. In anycase, AFAIK, the anime actually is an original story that just happened to have the name Boys Be.

Quote:
t's true, they weren't really "going out" but you can tell they were in love with each other, especially since they were childhood friends.
You don't know how happy that made me, lol.
Old 2009-10-16, 21:21   Link #56
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Wait, you've seen the extra episode right? You know, the one that ends with "Tadaima... Okaerii"?
Yeah, I watched that but I was refering to when she said "I'll wait for you", I mean she should have chased after him even though he started going out with another girl. He was also pretty stupid not to make a move on the other Chiharu but it would have never worked out anyway.

Quote:
Spoiler:
That's why I wanted a 2nd season, it would have been an interesting one considering what they have gone through and how they would build the trust they had between them.

Quote:
As for the manga, I can't stomach the old artwork of the older Boys Be. The newer one is bearable. In anycase, AFAIK, the anime actually is an original story that just happened to have the name Boys Be.
That's true but the manga is pretty old, I suggest you read some of his other works like "Gacha Gacha" which has great art.
Old 2009-10-17, 07:11   Link #57
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
Yeah, I watched that but I was refering to when she said "I'll wait for you", I mean she should have chased after him even though he started going out with another girl. He was also pretty stupid not to make a move on the other Chiharu but it would have never worked out anyway.
I personally think that in the same way Chiharu tried looking at other men and failed, Chiharu felt that Kyoichi should be given the same chance. In anycase, precisely because it's Chiharu's fault that their relationship soured is the same reason why she couldn't go after him even if she wanted to. She hurt him pretty damn hard, and her presence with him before he gets over that pain will only remind him of it, and therefore increase it.

Quote:
That's why I wanted a 2nd season, it would have been an interesting one considering what they have gone through and how they would build the trust they had between them.
I personally think that 'tadaima' encompasses all of these, from Kyoichi getting over his pain, his trust issues, and whatever negative feelings he had till that point. It's the entire point of the series after the 'break up' after all... getting over Chiharu's actions and all.

I mean, after 'breaking up' and having each of them see other people, and they STILL came back together, I can't think of anything else that can stand between them. They pretty much faced what is the worst enemy of a romantic relationship and still came through with it in the end.

That's why I really liked the subtlety of the "I'll be waiting for you" --> "I have returned" --> "Welcome back"; it tells so much in so little words, especially since "Tadaima" and "Okaerii" aren't normally used that way (in fact, this is the ONLY example I can think of in my anime/manga history that uses it that way).

Quote:
That's true but the manga is pretty old, I suggest you read some of his other works like "Gacha Gacha" which has great art.
I remember that manga. Personally, I couldn't get through the second part, mainly because I have no one else to ship together lol.
Old 2011-03-17, 04:44   Link #58
ether9

ok i know im a little bit late to the scene but i gotta let out some steam.

yea the chiharu thing ticked me off a bit especially since i like to imagine myself in the male character's position.

long ranting/commentary ahead, just letting out steam

Spoiler for ep 7, 8:
ether9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 20:54   Link #59
jzmagic
flargansbog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ether9 View Post
ok i know im a little bit late to the scene but i gotta let out some steam.

yea the chiharu thing ticked me off a bit especially since i like to imagine myself in the male character's position.

long ranting/commentary ahead, just letting out steam

Spoiler for ep 7, 8:
Those were my exact sentiments, Chiharu did nothing to redeem herself despite her actions. Kyoichi really didn't need to patch things up, I would have just moved on if I were him.
jzmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 05:26   Link #60
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

So i decided to rewatch this series.

Such nostalgia. This was the first romance anime i watched and still my favorite. Art style was fair for it's day and the music was really good in setting the mood. (I even got the soundtrack! ) The story was rememberable and i enjoyed the characters and their interactions over their love interest.

This series will always be my 1st favorite romance anime. 9 out of 10.