AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-05-07, 09:26   Link #981
Azuma Denton
~AD~
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsior View Post
Was wondering if anyone could tell me how difficult it is to get a visa to visit Japan? I've always wanted to goto Japan ever since I was a little boy. I fell in love with the culture from my 4th grade teacher's assistant who was a foriegn exchange student from Japan. Anyways off point, I have to say I've had a bumpy past, made mistakes, but have changed my life around. I don't want to give up on this dream that I have held in my heart since I was a child. Would a record shatter that?
The standard one:
1. Submit a copy of your plane/ship ticket...
2. Submit a copy of your hotel reservation...
3. Write a general plan of your visiting town...
4. Submit three month copy of your bank account (in my country, you need at least Rp. 30million)
5. A copy of your passport


And may i know what record of that? Is that a heavy crime??
You may have to consult with Japan embassy in your country to find out the answer...

Be careful when submitting though...
If it is rejected, you can not apply for VISA for another 6 months...
So it is a waste for your travel ticket...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 15:09   Link #982
Nerroth
Alea iacta est.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAN00KI View Post
May I recommend a place in Japan?

Please Visit Aomori... It is beautiful and the apples are delicious. It is also home to the tsugaru-style of shamisen ^^
Aomori also has the Sannai-Maruyama site; one of the most prominent Jomon-era archaeological sites in the country.

(Has anyone here been to see it?)
__________________
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 15:14   Link #983
sneaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
The standard one:
1. Submit a copy of your plane/ship ticket...
2. Submit a copy of your hotel reservation...
3. Write a general plan of your visiting town...
4. Submit three month copy of your bank account (in my country, you need at least Rp. 30million)
5. A copy of your passport


And may i know what record of that? Is that a heavy crime??
You may have to consult with Japan embassy in your country to find out the answer...

Be careful when submitting though...
If it is rejected, you can not apply for VISA for another 6 months...
So it is a waste for your travel ticket...
He's from one of those countries where you don't have to apply for a tourist visa.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 15:19   Link #984
Solafighter
Hige
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: God only knows
If you are from europe or other listed countries, you have an easy life, visiting Japan legaly for 90 days. I actually wonder, if you leave Japan on the 89th day and then fly into it 2 days later. Can you then stay another 90 days?..
__________________
Solafighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 16:06   Link #985
fsior
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Everett, WA
Yes I am a US resident. Thanks for the info everyone. Trying to plan this out, cause for me this is like a spiritual journey for me. =)
fsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 17:22   Link #986
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Coquitlam, BC, Canada/Quezon City, Philippines
Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Canadians don't need a visa for 6 months if you're just visiting/having a holiday.

But if you're there to study, that's another story.
__________________

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 00:19   Link #987
Azuma Denton
~AD~
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
@fsior
receive ur message and done some googling...
you can find more information here...
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1148.html

hope this help, and hope you can visit Japan soon...
it is worthy to visit Japan...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 08:33   Link #988
word sux
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I am thinking about going back to school for TESL (teach english as a second language) so I can travel around asia and africa. Seems like there are jobs for those with this sort of degree in japan.
__________________
Signature removed. Please check the forum signature rules before trying to upload another one. If you have questions, feel free to contact a mod through PM.
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 22:12   Link #989
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I'm right behind you
Age: 32
I'm finally gonna make that trip with a guided tour. Unfortunately my previous choices had indefinitely postponed their Japan tours, so I searched around and found these British-based guys.

I'll be going in the last week of October and first week of November, since that's supposed to be the nicest time to visit climate-wise.
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 07:31   Link #990
KyriaL
You are Reading this!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: In the study room
Traveling in Japan without following a tour or knowing much of the language can be very tricky, but it is possible. I have known of people who have done it and enjoyed it immensely, mostly through a little bit of luck, and passion on their side.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 10:05   Link #991
Autumn Demon
~
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ithaca, NY
Age: 25
I will be in Sapporo for 2 months starting next week, but before that I have a 20 hour layover in Osaka. Anyone know any cheap net cafes I could spend the night at, or capsule hotels in Osaka?
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 10:25   Link #992
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
I'm finally gonna make that trip with a guided tour. Unfortunately my previous choices had indefinitely postponed their Japan tours, so I searched around and found these British-based guys.

I'll be going in the last week of October and first week of November, since that's supposed to be the nicest time to visit climate-wise.
Depending on where you are, that period is a great time for koyo viewing. See my pictures from my holidays a few years back.

I find Japan an incredibly easy place to travel solo, though that may be because I understand many of the kanji signs. Safety is rarely an issue, though there are, of course, places that you should avoid. That said, guided tours may help you learn much more about places of interest. Enjoy yourself.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 11:03   Link #993
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vereinigte Staaten
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Demon View Post
I will be in Sapporo for 2 months starting next week, but before that I have a 20 hour layover in Osaka. Anyone know any cheap net cafes I could spend the night at, or capsule hotels in Osaka?
Gahh I'm really jealous. I've been told great things about Hokkaido in general.

Just stay in the airport, it'll be a hardcore experience.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 16:58   Link #994
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Germany
Age: 33
For the guided tours, I can't help but picture a bunch of very old people who would do that. Being the only one below 60 in a group for a week or so...

Is it really like that?
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 22:53   Link #995
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I'm right behind you
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
For the guided tours, I can't help but picture a bunch of very old people who would do that. Being the only one below 60 in a group for a week or so...

Is it really like that?
Well, just because it is a very different culture and I don't know much of the language, I thought I'd get more out of a guided tour. And there are certainly tours aimed more at younger people, like Con-Tiki.
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 23:17   Link #996
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: KS
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsior View Post
Was wondering if anyone could tell me how difficult it is to get a visa to visit Japan? I've always wanted to goto Japan ever since I was a little boy. I fell in love with the culture from my 4th grade teacher's assistant who was a foriegn exchange student from Japan. Anyways off point, I have to say I've had a bumpy past, made mistakes, but have changed my life around. I don't want to give up on this dream that I have held in my heart since I was a child. Would a record shatter that?
If you're an American all you need is your passport to enter Japan. They'll have you fill out 2 small forms on the plane ride over or you can fill them out in the terminal upon arrival. Visited Japan around 16 times or more and it hasn't really changed. The forms have the basic questions about how long you're staying, where, and how much money you're carrying. And the usual questions on "Are you a criminal", "Any drugs", "Ever been denied entry to Japan".

I just came back from a visit 2 months ago. Had a great time.
__________________

Last edited by Heibi; 2012-05-18 at 23:20. Reason: changed
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 23:19   Link #997
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vereinigte Staaten
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
For the guided tours, I can't help but picture a bunch of very old people who would do that. Being the only one below 60 in a group for a week or so...

Is it really like that?
When I traveled to Russia, it was with a tour group and yes, nearly everyone there was old. I was the youngest. But it wasn't a bad experience.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 08:51   Link #998
Azuma Denton
~AD~
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
Well, just because it is a very different culture and I don't know much of the language, I thought I'd get more out of a guided tour. And there are certainly tours aimed more at younger people, like Con-Tiki.
Just make sure you pick the right tour...
Some tour just cramp all the location into one single tour so basically you wont enjoy it because you may only spend about half and hour to one hour in one place...

But if you are unfamiliar to Japan's culture or language, the best bet is to get a tour on your first time, and for the second visit, well, you can explore Japan yourself...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 08:57   Link #999
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
But if you are unfamiliar to Japan's culture or language, the best bet is to get a tour on your first time, and for the second visit, well, you can explore Japan yourself...
This is what I did/am doing. Did my tour in 2008, didn't enjoy it that much because the tour guide was an idiot and the tour leader kept harping on us to give like 20% tips to the tour guide and bus driver, but didn't start asking us until 4 days into the tour as opposed to any of the 6 meetings we had about the tour in the year leading up to it...

Anyway, doing it myself this time. It's also going to be about 25% cheaper than my friends who are doing another guided tour (the same tour... I don't really see the point to doing the same tour two or three times).
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 09:31   Link #1000
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: KS
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
This is what I did/am doing. Did my tour in 2008, didn't enjoy it that much because the tour guide was an idiot and the tour leader kept harping on us to give like 20% tips to the tour guide and bus driver, but didn't start asking us until 4 days into the tour as opposed to any of the 6 meetings we had about the tour in the year leading up to it...

Anyway, doing it myself this time. It's also going to be about 25% cheaper than my friends who are doing another guided tour (the same tour... I don't really see the point to doing the same tour two or three times).
I do all my own sightseeing these days. I know how to get around and who to ask for directions. I even used Google Earth once to find the location via satellite. I memorized the building roofs and the crosswalk bridges and found what I was looking for. (The Japanese Sword Museum in Shinjuku). The original directions the hotel tried to give us were - take this train, then this one. I knew it was nearby and within walking distance(10-15 minutes), so I ignored the hotel advice and saved money in the process. The guy meant well though.
__________________
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
japan, travel

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.