AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-05-16, 04:04   Link #121
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Somewhere in the 11th dimension
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
interesting little fact I found out about today, but the seal for Urano Metria is the same seal for Jellal's Heavenly Body Magic.

I guess this might mean that Urano Metria may be a HB spell.

Well i found it cool. I'd like to see Jellal and Lucy fight alongside together.
it would be freakin awsome to see Jellal and Lucy do a duo fight against a super strong enemy, and have them do a UR with Urano Metria and Heavenly Body magic.... be as happy as i was with the ending of 282.
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 17:58   Link #122
GundamFan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
interesting little fact I found out about today, but the seal for Urano Metria is the same seal for Jellal's Heavenly Body Magic.

I guess this might mean that Urano Metria may be a HB spell.

Well i found it cool. I'd like to see Jellal and Lucy fight alongside together.
Well it makes sense they would be somewhat related since there both Celestial theme caster magic.
Before they have Lucy doing any team ups with Jellal I would want her to learn some more Celestial caster magic right now she is a one trick pony when it comes to spells and doesn't have enough juice to do the move twice.
I'm glad they didn't have Lucy take Yukino it would have been very out of character for her to take them from someone who was a loving owner.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 02:31   Link #123
sergel02
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
I read it on another forum, but what if Lucy does die in this arc? She might come back, maybe if her spirits revive her or something. Or she might go away for a little bit. It'd add some drama.

And just a random thought, but i find it cool that despite that Lucy isn't as popular as other main characters like Natsu, Gray, and Erza, and Laxus and Gajeel in some polls and discussions, threads on her are always frequent and lengthy at the forums i visit. I guess everyone has a lot to say about her lol
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 03:37   Link #124
ranchan13
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
I read it on another forum, but what if Lucy does die in this arc? She might come back, maybe if her spirits revive her or something. Or she might go away for a little bit. It'd add some drama.

And just a random thought, but i find it cool that despite that Lucy isn't as popular as other main characters like Natsu, Gray, and Erza, and Laxus and Gajeel in some polls and discussions, threads on her are always frequent and lengthy at the forums i visit. I guess everyone has a lot to say about her lol
IMO
Lucy's not as popular because she never really seems to show up in a fight. She's obviously powerful, and in fact, more powerful now then ever. Yet, her abilities are often downplayed greatly. Because of this, she appears weak. Fans often focus more on strong people then weak, and thus her popularity suffers for a perceived weakness
__________________
Combat
ELEment
STrategic
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform
ranchan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 04:16   Link #125
sergel02
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchan13 View Post
IMO
Lucy's not as popular because she never really seems to show up in a fight. She's obviously powerful, and in fact, more powerful now then ever. Yet, her abilities are often downplayed greatly. Because of this, she appears weak. Fans often focus more on strong people then weak, and thus her popularity suffers for a perceived weakness
Basically all this. She really does need a good solo fight where no one other than her spirits helps her. She kinda had that with Byro.

The thing is, Lucy, according to TVtropes, always gets Overshadowed

It states these things:
Quote:
Remember Lucy taking out that whole dark guild on her own? Or Vidalus? Duke Everlue? No? Well, maybe if she took a few steps away from Natsu and Erza you would.

Also Sherry (who had a powerset custom-tailored to beating Lucy's), Bickslow (who had already wiped out Gray) and Angel (one of the Oración Seis who had already outsmarted and defeated Ichiya, Jura, Natsu and Hibiki, and like Sherry just happened to have the power to steal control of Lucy's spirits).
For that matter, by this point in the story she apparently possesses over half of all the powerful celestial spirits in the world (ten of the twelve golden keys of the zodiac — which, she explains, are unique). A person with three such spirits qualified for the Oración Seis. Possibly her lack of recognition has something to do with the fact that she uses Summon Magic rather than beating things up directly, and because if she loses her keys she's mostly powerless.

The one time someone acknowledges her accomplishments, she gets modest and points out how inaccurate his list of her exploits is. (This is in chapter 136 when she's talking to Hibiki).

Her tendency towards Heroic Self-Deprecation probably does not help either.

She also defeated Byro on her own, before Natsu burned him.

Basically, Lucy has been able to take down quite a few enemies. It's just, like said, her abilities are downplayed a bit. I guess if they weren't she'd seem too powerful. Her fights aren't nearly as flashy as others, and she doesn't display nearly as much raw power (since her powers relies in her summoning), so i think that's also a reason people think she's a bad fighter.

Last edited by sergel02; 2012-05-19 at 14:43.
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 21:33   Link #126
sergel02
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
I wrote this on tumblr, but i figured i could post it here too. Mostly cuz i was bored, but i like how it came out.

___

Why I think Lucy is the protagonist of Fairy Tail

Now this isn’t a huge thing about which character is more of a “main” than others or which is more important, but more just to show that Lucy is a protagonist. I hear from quite a few people who believe she isn’t that important of a character, or that the story would go on fine without her.

But Fairy Tail can’t go on without her, because it is Lucy’s story.

Fairy Tail is Lucy’s telling of her journey in the guild, with Natsu as the focus. The whole series didn’t begin until Lucy came into the picture, with the story commencing at her joining of Fairy Tail. The way I see it, Natsu is the Hero of the story while Lucy is the Protagonist and Narrator.

Natsu is the Hero of the story. He is the guy who is a good friend to his guildies, the guy who battles the “big boss” at the end of an arc, and he has the personality fitting of the Hero. The Hero, however, isn’t always the one the story follows.

Lucy could be considered as the Supporting Protagonist

The story is told from her perspective, and it’s a writing technique that is pretty uncommon, but I praise Mashima for doing so. Definitely makes things interesting. It’s not often you’ll find a shounen series with a female protagonist.

As said before, Fairy Tail follows the story of Lucy, her adventures in the guild, and her life. Including the current manga and anime arc, we have around 3-4 arcs centered around just Lucy. The stories of others are important to her, as they are a part of her life, which is why we see their stories so much. Fairy Tail as we see it is Lucy’s telling of those stories.

Again, this isn’t to compare anything. Both Natsu and Lucy are vital to the story. This is just to show people that Lucy is important to the whole thing. That seems obvious to me, but I’ve encountered many who still see her as an important side character only.

Without Lucy, there would be no Fairy Tail.


*It should be noted that Fairy Tail refers to the series, while Fairy Tail (without the italics) refers to the guild.
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 00:52   Link #127
ranchan13
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
I wrote this on tumblr, but i figured i could post it here too. Mostly cuz i was bored, but i like how it came out.

___

Why I think Lucy is the protagonist of Fairy Tail

Now this isn’t a huge thing about which character is more of a “main” than others or which is more important, but more just to show that Lucy is a protagonist. I hear from quite a few people who believe she isn’t that important of a character, or that the story would go on fine without her.

But Fairy Tail can’t go on without her, because it is Lucy’s story.

Fairy Tail is Lucy’s telling of her journey in the guild, with Natsu as the focus. The whole series didn’t begin until Lucy came into the picture, with the story commencing at her joining of Fairy Tail. The way I see it, Natsu is the Hero of the story while Lucy is the Protagonist and Narrator.

Natsu is the Hero of the story. He is the guy who is a good friend to his guildies, the guy who battles the “big boss” at the end of an arc, and he has the personality fitting of the Hero. The Hero, however, isn’t always the one the story follows.

Lucy could be considered as the Supporting Protagonist

The story is told from her perspective, and it’s a writing technique that is pretty uncommon, but I praise Mashima for doing so. Definitely makes things interesting. It’s not often you’ll find a shounen series with a female protagonist.

As said before, Fairy Tail follows the story of Lucy, her adventures in the guild, and her life. Including the current manga and anime arc, we have around 3-4 arcs centered around just Lucy. The stories of others are important to her, as they are a part of her life, which is why we see their stories so much. Fairy Tail as we see it is Lucy’s telling of those stories.

Again, this isn’t to compare anything. Both Natsu and Lucy are vital to the story. This is just to show people that Lucy is important to the whole thing. That seems obvious to me, but I’ve encountered many who still see her as an important side character only.

Without Lucy, there would be no Fairy Tail.


*It should be noted that Fairy Tail refers to the series, while Fairy Tail (without the italics) refers to the guild.
What you're basically describing Lucy as is The Great Gatsby's character Nick Carraway, which is, I think, the most accurate description of her I've seen
__________________
Combat
ELEment
STrategic
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform
ranchan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 00:36   Link #128
sergel02
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchan13 View Post
What you're basically describing Lucy as is The Great Gatsby's character Nick Carraway, which is, I think, the most accurate description of her I've seen
I'll take it as a good thing? I never actually read The Great Gatsby. It was a choice between reading that or Huckleberry Finn and, well, Finn won lol
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 09:27   Link #129
GundamFan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
Basically all this. She really does need a good solo fight where no one other than her spirits helps her. She kinda had that with Byro.

The thing is, Lucy, according to TVtropes, always gets Overshadowed

It states these things:



She also defeated Byro on her own, before Natsu burned him.
Well I would stick with your own example of Byro the ones from TV trope are rather exaggerated the dark guild I believe there referring to is Naked Mummy one of the weaker guilds and she didn't beat the whole guild she took down a few of there nameless grunts, Vidalus she had Juvia's help, and Duke Everlue Natsu helped her.

Quote:
Basically, Lucy has been able to take down quite a few enemies. It's just, like said, her abilities are downplayed a bit. I guess if they weren't she'd seem too powerful. Her fights aren't nearly as flashy as others, and she doesn't display nearly as much raw power (since her powers relies in her summoning), so i think that's also a reason people think she's a bad fighter.
Well she has taken down some enemies on her I'll agree with you there but I don't think her abilities have been downplayed some much as Lucy was never intended to be very good in combat. And that really is a good thing the team already has 2 powerhouse in Ezra and Natsu and Gray is pretty strong as well the team needs someone with brains and a bit more level headed the normal one in the group usually isn't as popular as the other characters with fans but a very neccasary element.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 14:23   Link #130
sergel02
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan View Post
Well I would stick with your own example of Byro the ones from TV trope are rather exaggerated the dark guild I believe there referring to is Naked Mummy one of the weaker guilds and she didn't beat the whole guild she took down a few of there nameless grunts, Vidalus she had Juvia's help, and Duke Everlue Natsu helped her.



Well she has taken down some enemies on her I'll agree with you there but I don't think her abilities have been downplayed some much as Lucy was never intended to be very good in combat. And that really is a good thing the team already has 2 powerhouse in Ezra and Natsu and Gray is pretty strong as well the team needs someone with brains and a bit more level headed the normal one in the group usually isn't as popular as the other characters with fans but a very neccasary element.

1. I doubt Naked Mummy was a super strong guild, but she was able to take all the ones there out by herself easily. She was up against lots of them

What you said about Vidalus is true, but she was also fighting Juvia at the time as well. She used her smarts more than her power in this, but she was powerful enough to do a Unison Raid.

duke Everlue Natsu didn't really help her. He defeated Virgo. Lucy used her whip and Cancer to defeat him.

Tho with all that said, i do think Byro is the best example overall. Sherry is a decent one too.

I also agree with you on the second part. Lucy is't powerful like Erza, Natsu, or Gray, or even Gajeel, Mira, Juvia, and others. How she wins fights is using the powers she has and using her brain and tenacity.
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-31, 17:43   Link #131
GundamFan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
1. I doubt Naked Mummy was a super strong guild, but she was able to take all the ones there out by herself easily. She was up against lots of them
That's true and I have used that battle as an example of her strength myself before but I never worded as Lucy took out an entire dark guild by herself because that simply wasn't the case we know there were more members.

Quote:
What you said about Vidalus is true, but she was also fighting Juvia at the time as well. She used her smarts more than her power in this, but she was powerful enough to do a Unison Raid.
That's true unision raid requires some power but more then that alot of skill and ability most people who try to get to the point that they can perform it work on it there entire life and never can do it and Lucy has performed with 2 different partners on the fly.

Quote:
duke Everlue Natsu didn't really help her. He defeated Virgo. Lucy used her whip and Cancer to defeat him.
The thing is though Virgo was Everlue's summoned celestial spirit and if we treat her as seperate entity when it comes to fighting Natsu then you'd have to do that for all of them and then Lucy has never one a battle by herself.

Quote:
Tho with all that said, i do think Byro is the best example overall. Sherry is a decent one too.
I thought Sherry was good example too it really show cased Lucy' s strengths.

Quote:
I also agree with you on the second part. Lucy is't powerful like Erza, Natsu, or Gray, or even Gajeel, Mira, Juvia, and others. How she wins fights is using the powers she has and using her brain and tenacity.
And I like it better that way it requires them to give the character some creativity and skill they can't always flaco punch there way out of a problem.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-31, 22:29   Link #132
sergel02
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan View Post

And I like it better that way it requires them to give the character some creativity and skill they can't always flaco punch there way out of a problem.
There have been some pretty nice ones, and it is refreshing when we tend to remember all the power-ups and nakama power.

Erza used it in her fight against midnight, and i think Gray used his smarts in a couple fights as well. The dragon in the Daphne arc is an example i think, and Natsu used his head with his fight with Sugarboys in the other episode. I hope we get more of them. Not asking for some huge puzzle like Phi brain, but a little variety keeps things interesting, rather than just power clashes.
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 21:51   Link #133
ichitori
egg.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
i prefer lucy in the manga than in the anime! in the anime they make her look more "sluty" in a way...
ichitori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 16:07   Link #134
ginger02
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitori View Post
i prefer lucy in the manga than in the anime! in the anime they make her look more "sluty" in a way...
I guess a little. It happens in the manga too, it's just in the manga she's not in motion.

I do wish her boobs were smaller though.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 01:53   Link #135
sergel02
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Really liked Lucy's use of Cancer in this episode, and her whip. It was cool seeing him use his scissors like that, and i liked how she wrapped around the pillar all Laura Croft style...if Laura Croft was a bit clumsier.
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 00:52   Link #136
sergel02
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Lucy can't seem to catch a break in the manga it seems =(
Interesting chapter though.
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 15:03   Link #137
mystogan
The Lost Lamb
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: in Darkness
hey did anyone notice, it's not like Lucy's sex appeal never works, it actually does work since the starting episodes but the thing is it works on Taurus, and well Taurus being the pervert
well Lucy's sex appeal does work ,may be sometimes just not the way it should, but it worked quite properly when Gemini had transformed into Lucy
__________________
mystogan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 00:39   Link #138
ginger02
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystogan View Post
hey did anyone notice, it's not like Lucy's sex appeal never works, it actually does work since the starting episodes but the thing is it works on Taurus, and well Taurus being the pervert
well Lucy's sex appeal does work ,may be sometimes just not the way it should, but it worked quite properly when Gemini had transformed into Lucy
lol Taurus and Dan, who are both kind of perverted.

Random, but it'd be cool if Lucy could instead of summoning the spirits to fight with her, she can borrow their power and combine it with her own to fight, even for a little while.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 05:19   Link #139
BTDK
Himawari no Shoujo
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Viet Nam
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to BTDK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger02 View Post
lol Taurus and Dan, who are both kind of perverted.

Random, but it'd be cool if Lucy could instead of summoning the spirits to fight with her, she can borrow their power and combine it with her own to fight, even for a little while.
She hasnt reached to that level yet. From what I see, the author want "Fairy tail" and readers get rage. So next chapter will be interesting
__________________
BTDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 12:39   Link #140
KonataStar
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I like Lucy a lot although I prefer Ezra more
KonataStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
character discussion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.