AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2005-12-22, 22:38   Link #81
rooboy
Umeboshi!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tejas
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furudanuki
Well, if you all promise to be gentle, I'll take a big risk and admit that I liked Nemu in both seasons of D.C. - faults and all. She always gets a lot of flak from people for being jealous, but with all the beautiful girls paying attention to Junichi I find it hard to blame her too much for that. And I got the impression early on that she does the "Evil Nemu" routine mostly because she has learned that a lot of times that is the only way to really make him realize how he is treating her. And the reunion scene with Sakura in D.C.S.S. was a beautiful moment - if I hadn't liked her already, I would have after that episode.
I actually like Nemu too (Not as much as Moe, but more than Kotori, but I do still like Kotori well enough). As a matter of fact, I think I might like "Evil Nemu" more than normal Nemu (who seems kind of, I dunno, servile to Junichi). So, y'know, you're not alone.
__________________
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 23:07   Link #82
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Well, I guess my point was more like, we can all identify with Kotori to a certain degree. You're supposed to feel sorry for what she's going through, even if she isn't your favorite character in the show. As for who my favorite character is... well, way back in the old thread, I said I liked both Kotori and Nemu equally and a few people said that was a cop-out answer. But hey, that's still the case. Actually, I like all the characters in Da Capo a lot - each is enjoyable in their own way.

Did want to ask about one other thing though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
I have to agree with Anime on My Mind that the downgrade from Yoriko to Aisia is probably the worst first season to second season downgrade ever
What do they mean by that, though? They couldn't bring Yoriko back due to the plot in the game (they needed to bring in Misaki instead, which they did), and they needed an outsider to stir things up and make the plot work (which is what Aisia did). Do they/you just mean that you liked Yoriko way more than Aisia? I guess I just don't see how you can compare them - it's like apples and oranges.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 23:15   Link #83
rooboy
Umeboshi!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tejas
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Well, I guess my point was more like, we can all identify with Kotori to a certain degree. You're supposed to feel sorry for what she's going through, even if she isn't your favorite character in the show. As for who my favorite character is... well, way back in the old thread, I said I liked both Kotori and Nemu equally and a few people said that was a cop-out answer. But hey, that's still the case. Actually, I like all the characters in Da Capo a lot - each is enjoyable in their own way.
I would say I like Kotori and Nemu equally, but that would be a cop out answer. So I say I like Nemu slightly better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Did want to ask about one other thing though...
What do they mean by that, though? They couldn't bring Yoriko back due to the plot in the game (they needed to bring in Misaki instead, which they did), and they needed an outsider to stir things up and make the plot work (which is what Aisia did). Do they/you just mean that you liked Yoriko way more than Aisia? I guess I just don't see how you can compare them - it's like apples and oranges.
No, it's from earlier in the season for the half dozen or so episodes where Aisia took over Kotori's role as the clumsy meido for the show. Of course, in reality, it didn't last long as that wasn't really her job to begin with, but for awhile it seemed like she'd pretty much replaced Yoriko. Though, they really didn't replace Yoriko with anyone, just Aisia for a few episodes. It was intended to be humorous.

EDIT: Just realized who I was talking to. He wasn't talking in a thematic or plot device sense, he just meant she replaced Yoriko's role as the generic "clumsy meido" role. Sort of like Taeko in Ai Yori Aoshi. But since she lacked nekomimi, it becomes a downgrade to regular clumsy meido, instead of nekomimi clumsy meido.
__________________
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 23:26   Link #84
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
I would say I like Kotori and Nemu equally, but that would be a cop out answer. So I say I like Nemu slightly better.
Hmm... looks like, as AvatarST suggested, I should play through some of the other girls' paths in the game so I can get a different favorite to break the tie. (This is why it's a good thing that anime-Junichi is more decisive than I am, and that the game has lets you save at any time in case you change your mind... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
No, it's from earlier in the season for the half dozen or so episodes where Aisia took over [edit: Yoriko]'s role as the clumsy meido for the show. Of course, in reality, it didn't last long as that wasn't really her job to begin with, but for awhile it seemed like she'd pretty much replaced Yoriko. Though, they really didn't replace Yoriko with anyone, just Aisia for a few episodes. It was intended to be humorous.
Ahhh... okay, now I get it. Makes sense. And yeah... now that you mention, Junichi does have this strange habit of taking it girls that seem vulnerable but ending causing a lot of trouble around the house. (Well, I guess he doesn't need them any more now that he has... )

(Edit: Yup, got it. Missed the connection entirely at first, but makes perfect sense now that you've clarified it.)
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 23:41   Link #85
Furudanuki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: State of denial
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Well, I guess my point was more like, we can all identify with Kotori to a certain degree. You're supposed to feel sorry for what she's going through, even if she isn't your favorite character in the show. As for who my favorite character is... well, way back in the old thread, I said I liked both Kotori and Nemu equally and a few people said that was a cop-out answer. But hey, that's still the case. Actually, I like all the characters in Da Capo a lot - each is enjoyable in their own way.
Well said, and I don't think it is a cop-out at all to say you like two characters equally. There are several series where I find that is the case, and it usually involves characters who are quite different from each other - I wind up liking them both, but for different reasons. And don't even get me started on the number of times I've said something like "personally I prefer X, but Y would be a better match for the lead character."
__________________
Now watching: Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka, Allison to Lillia, Clannad - After Story, Daughter of Twenty Faces, Hidamari Sketch x365, Kannagi, Kyouran Kazoku Nikki, Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~, Telepathy Girl Ran, To Aru Majutsu no Index, Toradora, Zettai Karen Children
Recently completed: Ghost Hound, Aria: The Origination, Kanokon, Kure-nai, Itazura na Kiss, Special A, Birdy the Mighty Decode, Macross Frontier, Ryouko's Case File, ToLoveRU, Wagaya no Oinari-sama
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 23:50   Link #86
AvatarST
◕‿‿◕
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Argentina
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furudanuki
Well, if you all promise to be gentle, I'll take a big risk and admit that I liked Nemu in both seasons of D.C. - faults and all. She always gets a lot of flak from people for being jealous, but with all the beautiful girls paying attention to Junichi I find it hard to blame her too much for that. And I got the impression early on that she does the "Evil Nemu" routine mostly because she has learned that a lot of times that is the only way to really make him realize how he is treating her. And the reunion scene with Sakura in D.C.S.S. was a beautiful moment - if I hadn't liked her already, I would have after that episode.

As for Kotori: she is a wonderful character, and I felt they did a pretty satisfactory job in the first season of resolving her feelings for Junichi. I thought the post-confession scene of her skipping school was one of the more wonderful moments of the first season. But the writers really and truly did Kotori wrong in the second season by re-opening up the possibility of a romantic relationship for her and Junichi. It was a no-win situation from the start. If Junichi had dumped Nemu for Kotori in D.C.S.S. it would have been unfair to Nemu, but even worse it would match Kotori up with someone who had just proven by his lack of faithfulness that he did not deserve her. <heavy sigh> Yeah, I'm not very happy at all with how Kotori's arc has played out. I just wish so many people didn't feel that it was all Nemu's fault.

end of confession.
Everyone around here is pretty civil, so don't worry.

Anyway, I dislike Nemu because of who she is and what she does, not because she "took Jyunichi from Kotori". She didn't because Jyunichi loves Nemu, and that's as simple as it gets.

relentlessflame - I really recommend Alice's path. And if you have SV, play that right after. She's just...so lovely. I don't know who I like better anymore, Kotori or her.
__________________
AvatarST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 00:06   Link #87
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarST
relentlessflame - I really recommend Alice's path. And if you have SV, play that right after. She's just...so lovely. I don't know who I like better anymore, Kotori or her.
As soon as they announced Four Seasons, I decided to hold out on Summer Vacation for a while, thinking they might port that one back too (like they did with Plus Communication)... though I don't know if that's what they'll do or not, so... it's a battle of patience. I would buy the PS2 game as the lack of H really doesn't bother me (and the anime voice actors are better...), but I think I'm one of the few people left that actually does not have a modded PS2. I may have to buy a Japanese one, but that just seems like a bit much somehow... (And yeah, from what I've seen in the anime, I think Alice is my favorite of the new characters.)

By the way, has anyone figured out yet what's different about the D.C.P.C. re-release (the Appreciation Pack)?
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 00:26   Link #88
AvatarST
◕‿‿◕
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Argentina
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
Quote:
As soon as they announced Four Seasons, I decided to hold out on Summer Vacation for a while, thinking they might port that one back too (like they did with Plus Communication)... though I don't know if that's what they'll do or not, so... it's a battle of patience. I would buy the PS2 game as the lack of H really doesn't bother me (and the anime voice actors are better...), but I think I'm one of the few people left that actually does not have a modded PS2. I may have to buy a Japanese one, but that just seems like a bit much somehow... (And yeah, from what I've seen in the anime, I think Alice is my favorite of the new characters.)

By the way, has anyone figured out yet what's different about the D.C.P.C. re-release (the Appreciation Pack)?
Actually I don't really give a damn about the H-scenes, they can be there or not and I don't care, I play those games because I'm a sucker for love stories and b-games in general.

I'd guess that they'll port Four Seasons, yes. If it had no new material and it was just WS+SV then I'd say maybe not, but it has new routes for other characters, the new Kotori path, more CGs, etc.

Alice is my favourite indeed, though I know most people like Tamaki out of the new characters.

As for your question, I have no idea.
__________________
AvatarST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 01:23   Link #89
DrewGSR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Damn having Nemu do everything from taking care of him and serving him, must be nice lol.
DrewGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-24, 00:22   Link #90
studiocode
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
When I thought that his fling with Nemu was over I thought that was a good premise for a second season. However, what was the point of a second season if nothing new happens? In season one, they dragged out a boring melodrama forever and agonized over an unrequitted love and finally he ended up with one of the girls whether you agreed with it or not. What is the point of making even more girls fall in love with him if they are going to bring Nemu back and have them continue their stupid relationship?! And yes, their relationship is stupid. At the end of season one, it wasn't funny, it wasn't romantic, and it was a pathetic attempt at drama because there was really no story whatsoever.

Wow, this show was blatant false advertising. They took Nemu away for 6 episodes because they know how boring it would be for us to see a bunch of girls obsessing over one guy when he's in a relationship declaring eternal love and all that mushy junk. They tricked us into thinking things could be different when really they just wanted things to stay the same. They showed us all these possible romantic interests and then brought Nemu back? What was the point of a second season then? Nothing has changed. Nemu probably doesn't deserve him more than Kotori (definately doesn't in my opinion) but they are already together so what's the point? Sequels are usually dumb but they are even dumber if it's just the same exact story as the first.

I stopped watching at episode 10. I really can't sit through anymore because I liked Kotori since the first episode but she was obviously only there to serve as fanservice so you can buy the figurines, merchandise, etc...I'll try and watch it maybe a few years down the line, maybe, but could somebody answer some questions because I can't watch anymore for now:

1. Does any romantic relationship develop between Aisia and Asakura? I thought they made the 2nd best pair.

2. Does anything EVER happen between Kotori and Asakura? Why drag out an unrequitted love over not 1 but 2 seasons? Tell some kind of story. Something has to happen over 3 years time, come on. Break him and Nemu up or bring some resolution to his outside relationships. Don't keep teasing us just to peddle your show. That's marketing infringing on storytelling which should never happen.

3. When Sakura comes back (I read some posts where she came back) is she an adult? Does anything happen between her and Asakura?

4. How does the series end? Could you also do like a couple sentence summary after episode 10? (I checked anidb and I think it is over now)
studiocode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-24, 01:10   Link #91
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiocode
They took Nemu away for 6 episodes because they know how boring it would be for us to see a bunch of girls obsessing over one guy when he's in a relationship declaring eternal love and all that mushy junk. They tricked us into thinking things could be different when really they just wanted things to stay the same. They showed us all these possible romantic interests and then brought Nemu back? What was the point of a second season then? Nothing has changed. Nemu probably doesn't deserve him more than Kotori (definately doesn't in my opinion) but they are already together so what's the point?
Spoiler for my opinion:
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-24, 01:24   Link #92
studiocode
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
That's the MORAL of the story. No arguments there.

It's a nice moral sure but there really is no STORY to speak of here. You say that it's not about any of the girls moving on or finding love, and that is exactly why the show is so weak: because that isn't the story when it should be.

Why introduce subplots and sub characters and devote time if you aren't going to go anywhere with them? Otherwise, what was the point of all those tender moments with those love interests? I see no reason why they did a sequel. Logic would dictate that after the ending of season one the sequel can't be a harem romance right? Well the writers use a cheap trick and take Nemu out for 6 episodes just so that they still can. Surely you can see through this false advertising.
studiocode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-24, 03:06   Link #93
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiocode
That's the MORAL of the story. No arguments there.

It's a nice moral sure but there really is no STORY to speak of here. You say that it's not about any of the girls moving on or finding love, and that is exactly why the show is so weak: because that isn't the story when it should be.

Why introduce subplots and sub characters and devote time if you aren't going to go anywhere with them? Otherwise, what was the point of all those tender moments with those love interests? I see no reason why they did a sequel. Logic would dictate that after the ending of season one the sequel can't be a harem romance right? Well the writers use a cheap trick and take Nemu out for 6 episodes just so that they still can. Surely you can see through this false advertising.
I struggled to come up with a response because I can't relate to the basis of your claims. It seems to me like saying "Why isn't D.C.S.S. more like Shuffle" or something - the answer is "because it's not"... You say the story is weak because the story isn't about what you wanted it to be about (or as you said, as "it should be")... how does that work? Is there a right or wrong way to write a story? For me personally, all I've ever said is that an effective story must justify itself.

Well, anyway, for what it's worth...

Spoiler for more opinions:
Anyway, I'm sorry that I can't relate to what you're saying. I really do look more at "how do they justify it" when judging the merits of a story, so I guess I can't really explain the show in any other way. It still sounds to me like you're saying "I would have liked the show better if they had done this or that instead", but that's speculation and doesn't explain or justify the anime we did get. Anyway, maybe someone else can give answering your questions a shot.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-24, 06:13   Link #94
Counter Arts
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
lol... I guess everybody kinda misunderstood me when I said I indentified with Kotori. But first... I shall talk about the other things.

I think what people don't like about Nemu x Junichi ending is the fact that for most there is no significant percieved change. However there are a few interesting developments that have been horribly spoiled for me for my lack of bittorrent and bad rolls on my will saves.

And about Kotori's flaws... well I can say being selfless is a flaw. Sure... for everyone else it's great so they wouldn't consider it a flaw. However it's a flaw for her since it's not always a good thing for her. Being selfless requires a heck of a lot of energy and can eventually lead to an emotional breakdown without support. This isn't a made up flaw in my head since...

Spoiler:


Something not quite the same but simliar is Kaede in shuffle. Now tell me please that you see that Kaede has a significigant flaw. Makes me wonder what would happen if Junichi wasn't there for Kotori.

Kotori has grown a lot since then. Her views on life and such have become much stronger... whatever they are. Remember how Kotori was in season one and look at Kotori now in season two. Kotori has become teh awesomeness at the price of never "winning".

I kinda like season two because I got to see Kotori in the height of her awesomeness. I can't really say that until I see it all though. Though, it wouldn't surprise me if Kotori ended up being key in helping the Nemu x Junichi pairing.

Back to what I meant about identifing with Kotori. I kinda meant that there are people running around in this world who would act just like her with the selfless, naive, keep-problems-to-self combination of flaws.

Also, for those who know about the MBTI... I'm not exactly sure of Kotori's type though I kinda have a good guess.
Counter Arts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-24, 12:21   Link #95
Observation
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Massive spoiler for DCSS ending. It is a screencap btw. View at your own risk.

Spoiler for DCSS ending:
Observation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-24, 13:36   Link #96
Paracelsus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Send a message via MSN to Paracelsus
That image is worth a thousand spoilers.....oh well
Paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-24, 13:38   Link #97
AvatarST
◕‿‿◕
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Argentina
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
Spoiler for picture:
__________________
AvatarST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-24, 13:42   Link #98
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counter Arts
Also, for those who know about the MBTI... I'm not exactly sure of Kotori's type though I kinda have a good guess.
If I were to guess, I'd probably say ISFP or INFP - I sort of border between the two myself, though leaning towards N. Good post, once again.

And, Omni (scratch that - Observation - I'm an idiot...), as for the spoiler, all I can say is...
Spoiler:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2005-12-24 at 14:30.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-24, 13:45   Link #99
AvatarST
◕‿‿◕
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Argentina
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
Spoiler:
__________________
AvatarST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-24, 13:51   Link #100
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarST
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bishoujo, circus, drama, magic, romance, school life, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.