AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2005-12-22, 01:31   Link #1
froinlaven
Wanchu!

Weird Anime Memes

Hey,
I wrote about these in my blog, but I thought there'd be more discussion on it here (because no one comments on my blog). I've noticed that a lot of anime have
1. Characters with puppets
and
2. High jumping characters.

with 1, I don't know if it's a copycat thing or what, but Haibara from Mahoraba, Rino from Gokujou Seitokai, and Maaka Anju from Karin all have puppets that seem to have minds of their own. Does anyone know what is up with this?

For #2, I'm thinking high jumping has just become the next "tennis" in Japan. I don't really have any evidence for this one though. Does anyone know of a really popular high jumper from Japan that might have started this trend?

It's not like these memes are detrimental to anime or anything, but I find it weird and not that coincidental. The subject has just been kind of bugging me and I'd like to know exactly why these trends have been appearing in anime.
froinlaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 08:06   Link #2
mangatron
I <3 Oneesan's!

Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
You know, I only have one funny thing to say about the puppet thing:

JC Staff was involved with all 3 series

As for the jumping, I think it's about the other message it might be saying, what I mean is, the High Jump could also be compared to be "one who strives to succeed", or, trying to reach the top of your level. Or maybe I'm thinking too much into it, but....hmm...my evidence in that regard is that for the most of the girls I seen in anime that participate in High Jump, those girls are the kind that want to do better, I have yet to see a girl feel otherwise....

I'm being bombed!
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*Arpeggio Blue Steel avatars!

*Feel my Birthday! May 08 2014
with my posts all these years!
XD
mangatron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 08:46   Link #3
DaFool
Resident devil

Don't forget the office lady in the publishing company in Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo. When she goes, "Ganbarre!", that just melts my heart BTW, also a JCStaff anime. Seriously, people's fetishes tend to creep into productions.

As for high jump, also associated with short-haired girls. Don't ask -_-
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 09:25   Link #4
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I agree with Mangatron on the high jump. It's a metaphor for trying one's best and exceeding their limits.

As for the puppets, is it really that common? I would say it's more a coincidence that a few well known series got a similiar idea.

Now if you really want a good example of an anime related meme, look at the moe~ market. It's a prime example of a pervasive meme spreading among a population. I mean half these moe~ series are little more than cute girls doing whatever. There's no reason we should like them, yet we do. The moe~ market in Japan is worth some 88 billion yen. Truely a successful meme.
Old 2005-12-22, 19:13   Link #5
Tapp Zaddaz
Banned

What is meme?
Tapp Zaddaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 19:32   Link #6
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapp Zaddaz
What is meme?
An idea that transmits across media. Any cliche is a meme, for example. A catchphrase is a meme. Anime characters with puppets (if the idea is indeed connected and is not random) is also a meme. 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 01:44   Link #7
froinlaven
Wanchu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
I agree with Mangatron on the high jump. It's a metaphor for trying one's best and exceeding their limits.

As for the puppets, is it really that common? I would say it's more a coincidence that a few well known series got a similiar idea.

Now if you really want a good example of an anime related meme, look at the moe~ market. It's a prime example of a pervasive meme spreading among a population. I mean half these moe~ series are little more than cute girls doing whatever. There's no reason we should like them, yet we do. The moe~ market in Japan is worth some 88 billion yen. Truely a successful meme.
I guess that's reasonable about the high jump. I just thought maybe Japan had some awesome high jumper that everyone wanted to support in anime form or something. I think seeing three different instances of puppet characters = some kind of meme going on. At least the moe market I can understand. Cute girls are always welcome