AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2012-06-08, 03:52   Link #1
NeoChan
Banned

Bit Torrent Affects Other Direct Downloads

As it says, Bit torrent is slowing my other downloads to the point that they drop to zero and I had to re download.What is this?
NeoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-08, 14:58   Link #2
Random32
Also a Lolicon

BitTorrent is probably using all your bandwidth. Most clients will let you limit how much up/down bandwidth they use.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 04:31   Link #3
Tiberium Wolf

I also have this happen to me sometimes and it's not the torrent client configuration because that remains the same. It must be something about the torrent that allocates all the BW to itself. Even if they torrent is not uploading or downloading almost nothing at all, like 10KBs up and down. Everything else have no BW at all.
I would like someone to explain that to me.

Last edited by Tiberium Wolf; 2012-06-09 at 04:54.
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 10:01   Link #4
rxn

when downloading, make sure that you cap your upload rate to a small number--like 3kb/s. this will lessen the load on your bandwidth while still maximizing download rates.
Old 2012-07-15, 20:42   Link #5
Stealthtank

My friend has mentioned something of this effect to me. He is running a torrent and the rest of his internet capabilites including web browsing and HTTP downloads take a severe hit despite the torrent hardly using any bandwidth. As soon as the torrent is paused though everything returns to normal. I have personally witnessed this myself.

I suspect that your ISP and his was throttling all internet traffic. They're not usually so inspecfic as to slam the brakes on all traffic but I can't really think of more plausible explanations.
Stealthtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 01:32   Link #6
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxn View Post
when downloading, make sure that you cap your upload rate to a small number--like 3kb/s. this will lessen the load on your bandwidth while still maximizing download rates.
Yes, be a worthless leech. Great advice there.

Actual way to not be branded an ass: cap your upload at about 75% of its max.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 21:56   Link #7
sudora88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
Yes, be a worthless leech. Great advice there.

Actual way to not be branded an ass: cap your upload at about 75% of its max.
+1. Damn leechers.

It really only affect if either your ISP throttles you, or your internet is just slow. Either way, for me, it doesn't affect at all. I seed most of the time too.
sudora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 07:59   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...24#post1625624
Old 2012-08-03, 17:33   Link #9
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudora88 View Post
+1. Damn leechers.

It really only affect if either your ISP throttles you, or your internet is just slow. Either way, for me, it doesn't affect at all. I seed most of the time too.
Easy saying that, if you have nice connection.

With my DSL, for every 10KB/s upload over 20KB/s, I lose 100KB/s download speed (and I only got 350 total...).
If approach anywhere near 70% of my total upload speed, download completely chokes. Then opening a page of animesuki takes several minutes...

So it really depends on what connection you are using. Not every leecher has a choice. :P
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 19:01   Link #10
ForwardUntoDawn
Operation "sneaky sneaks"
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Easy saying that, if you have nice connection.

With my DSL, for every 10KB/s upload over 20KB/s, I lose 100KB/s download speed (and I only got 350 total...).
If approach anywhere near 70% of my total upload speed, download completely chokes. Then opening a page of animesuki takes several minutes...

So it really depends on what connection you are using. Not every leecher has a choice. :P
I remember with DSL, my internet would flat out stop working and the browser would think that I had disconnected my LAN cable when I was wielding torrents. These days, I upload at the speeds I used to download. To combat that problem, I had to reduce the download speeds to 150 kb/s to ensure that everything else still works.

As others have mentioned, it depends on the ISP. I find that broadband performs significantly better: down speeds are now limited by how many seeders are around, and I experience little difficulty in getting 4 MB/s down and 300 kb/s up (while loading webpages at normal rates).
ForwardUntoDawn is offline   Reply With Quote