AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-06-08, 17:42   Link #121
totoum
Backstop
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Lol. Anyway just out if curiosity, how involved was Okada in the writing of the recent Lupin III anime? Because I've just caught up to it now and I think it's fantastic.
She's credited with series composition and has written 4 episodes herself (episodes 1,4,6,9)

Though another big name has contributed as well: Dai Sato wrote episodes 3,7,10.

But to me more than anything it's a Yamamoto anime.
__________________
totoum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 01:43   Link #122
totoum
Backstop
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
And we've got another Okada sighting,she'll be teaming up again this fall with Canaan/HSI director Ando over at Bones on Zetsuen no Tempest ~The Civilization Blaster~

Okada decides to work on a shonen action manga just to piss off DemiSoda

So that's two adaptations coming this fall so far and there's likely going to be another cour of AKB0048 at some point.
__________________
totoum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 05:30   Link #123
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
And we've got another Okada sighting,she'll be teaming up again this fall with Canaan/HSI director Ando over at Bones on Zetsuen no Tempest ~The Civilization Blaster~

Okada decides to work on a shonen action manga just to piss off DemiSoda

So that's two adaptations coming this fall so far and there's likely going to be another cour of AKB0048 at some point.
LN Romcom + Shonen Manga. Can you get anymore generic than that
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 12:33   Link #124
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
LN Romcom + Shonen Manga. Can you get anymore generic than that
Actually it sounds almost like completely contradictory genres. Welp that's another Bones show I probably won't be watching. I continue to be dismayed by the direction they appear to be going, which seems to lead off of a cliff or at least further and further away from my favorite studios to look out for.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 16:09   Link #125
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lion's Arch
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Shounen is a bit more broad than we'd think, actually; technically To Love Ru is a shounen romance, even though you'd probably give a Minko-face to Darkness being labeled as such.

Also, this is an adaptation, which means she can't just do what the fuck ever. I'm sure some of you fainted when you saw Yoshino writing for Accel World, but since it's an adaptation they're not gonna hold that much sway. Doesn't mean they can't cause damage though.

I'm actually more concerned about the director Ando. While his work for Sword of the Stranger was spectacular, and Canaan was alright, I'm not sure if I can approve of Hana Saku Iroha's directing. If the series is more action focused then we are good. Otherwise...
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 16:50   Link #126
Haak
CAKE!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
LN Romcom + Shonen Manga. Can you get anymore generic than that
Well it's not like she wrote those herself. Besides, like Archon says, they're straightforward adaptations. I'm guessing the most that's gonna happen is that she's gonna give an otherwise generic storyline, improved characterisation and dialogue.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 04:24   Link #127
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Well it's not like she wrote those herself. Besides, like Archon says, they're straightforward adaptations. I'm guessing the most that's gonna happen is that she's gonna give an otherwise generic storyline, improved characterisation and dialogue.
Wow you have mad faith in Mari Okada and absolutely none in the shonen action genre don't you? The prejudice against Shonen action in general is reaching critical mass these days I swear it.

Like Archon said, it's something that can take many paths, it's not just inherently generic and bad.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 04:31   Link #128
Haak
CAKE!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
I heard it was generic. I don't know if it actually is or not. If it's not then that's even better. I actually like the shonen action genre...

And I still plan on watching it...
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 04:38   Link #129
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I heard it was generic. I don't know if it actually is or not. If it's not then that's even better. I actually like the shonen action genre...
Ah I thought you were passing off the whole shebang, but really you're talking about this particular manga. I dunno, Okada is so hit or miss when it comes to original action stuff. It can either be comical yet introspective like Lupin III or comically retarded like Aquarion Evol or AKB 0048. Without the slowly descending into insanity Kawamori or the guiding hands of Dai Sato, Watanabe or whoever that director is that's pretty good though who knows what we'll get.

As for whether I'm watching this...probably depends on how Eureka Seven turns out. If it's yet another waste of time like Bones shows have been of late I might just start screening my Bones shows even more heavily.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 04:44   Link #130
Haak
CAKE!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Well the director is Masahiro Ando who has experience with Okada and produced two decent shows with her: Canaan and Hanasaku Iroha. Canaan is a pretty action shoenish show so I think that's a good guide to what the direction will be like.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 13:05   Link #131
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
It's funny how important staff announcements have become this day though. It's like at this point you figure there's always a 50/50 chance it'll be either her or literally anyone else with any given project and you have a good chunk of people on the board just like, "please don't be Okada, just please don't be Okada" and then a sigh of relief or grown of agony when the staff news finally comes. New way to make pre-production interesting I suppose.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 13:36   Link #132
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 26
tbh I don't find that sort of discourse interesting so much as repetitive and aggravating, I almost wish there was a way that producers and studios could be kept secret until the anime airs, that way the "Ugh this is being directed by Kyoto Animation, those bastards are so overrated" "Mari Okada again? That ho couldn't direct a good anime to save her life, just go look at Hanasucku (lmao) Iroha if you don't believe me" "FUCK YOU DEEN, DAMNABLE RUINER OF ANIME, THERE GOES ANOTHER GREAT FRANCHISE DOWN THE DRAIN" moaning could be prevented.
Dr. Casey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 15:05   Link #133
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
tbh I don't find that sort of discourse interesting so much as repetitive and aggravating, I almost wish there was a way that producers and studios could be kept secret until the anime airs, that way the "Ugh this is being directed by Kyoto Animation, those bastards are so overrated" "Mari Okada again? That ho couldn't direct a good anime to save her life, just go look at Hanasucku (lmao) Iroha if you don't believe me" "FUCK YOU DEEN, DAMNABLE RUINER OF ANIME, THERE GOES ANOTHER GREAT FRANCHISE DOWN THE DRAIN" moaning could be prevented.
I'd call it a measured response to having something thrust in your face as consitently high calibre and desirable when the individual person might not think so at all. Backlash can't exist without the hype to birth it.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 15:06   Link #134
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lion's Arch
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
tbh I don't find that sort of discourse interesting so much as repetitive and aggravating, I almost wish there was a way that producers and studios could be kept secret until the anime airs, that way the "Ugh this is being directed by Kyoto Animation, those bastards are so overrated" "Mari Okada again? That ho couldn't direct a good anime to save her life, just go look at Hanasucku (lmao) Iroha if you don't believe me" "FUCK YOU DEEN, DAMNABLE RUINER OF ANIME, THERE GOES ANOTHER GREAT FRANCHISE DOWN THE DRAIN" moaning could be prevented.
Which is why I sort of questioned the purpose of this thread. Do we need a thread about every staff member that's noted? The social club for her was just for entertainment, but if we're going for serious discussion, all you can really do is focus on her original work. But that's the thing, if we extend the discussion to anything she's involved in, then it gets kind of silly.

Then again I started the Deen thread so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
It's funny how important staff announcements have become this day though. It's like at this point you figure there's always a 50/50 chance it'll be either her or literally anyone else with any given project and you have a good chunk of people on the board just like, "please don't be Okada, just please don't be Okada" and then a sigh of relief or grown of agony when the staff news finally comes. New way to make pre-production interesting I suppose.
Remember those Haruhi Season 2 trailers that showed cryptic trailers that consists of long stretches of nothing to hype it up. Then again, season 2 was also a long stretch of nothing, so I guess they were... honest? They need some talking point regardless of how pointless it may seem.

Though you may be on to something with franchises that haven't been established yet? We don't expect people to know anything about the show, but if they're familiar with staff then we can write something... anything. I swear this is how every Shaft show gets off.

And in any case, I occasionally like Shounen and I occasionally like this writer. In any case, I'm not prone to judging an anime before we even know what's it about. I mean sure, Aquarion Evol honestly made me vomit with its preview and concept, but since I've never seen it, I won't say too much about its quality.
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 15:13   Link #135
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post

Remember those Haruhi Season 2 trailers that showed cryptic trailers that consists of long stretches of nothing to hype it up. Then again, season 2 was also a long stretch of othing, so I guess they were... honest? They need some talking point regardless of how pointless it may seem.

Though you may be on to something with franchises that haven't been established yet? We don't expect people to know anything about the show, but if they're familiar with staff then we can write something... anything. I swear this is how every Shaft show gets off.

And in any case, I occasionally like Shounen and I occasionally like this writer. In any case, I'm not prone to judging an anime before we even know what's it about. I mean sure, Aquarion Evol honestly made me vomit with its preview and concept, but since I've never seen it, I won't say too much about its quality.
Yeah I definitely think this has become a thing. As I sometimes say in my paraphrasing of a Scarface quote, first you get the popular property, then you get the big name, then you get the hype and then you get the money. I think Guilty Crown and Aquarion Evol might be the perfect examples of this. It's like they figured they'd got all the big names they could possibly want for otaku and then just totally forgot that they still need to actually plan out, pace and manage the show properly.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 15:36   Link #136
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I'd call it a measured response to having something thrust in your face as consitently high calibre and desirable when the individual person might not think so at all. Backlash can't exist without the hype to birth it.
To clarify (If I wasn't clear before), I'm talking about when there's virtually nothing to judge a series by except meta information such as the studio and producer. Judging a trailer, a story synopsis, a promotional image, so on and so forth, is fine; I just think it's silly and annoying to spew out tons of vitriol against a series when nothing about it is known except the studio and/or producer. Why do you consider it measured and levelheaded to have the revelation of a studio or producer stir up a shitstorm that lasts dozens or hundreds of posts when there's absolutely nothing else to judge it on? >_>
Dr. Casey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 15:41   Link #137
Haak
CAKE!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
I know a lot of people judge but I think a lot of it is just harmless speculation mistaken as judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Yeah I definitely think this has become a thing. As I sometimes say in my paraphrasing of a Scarface quote, first you get the popular property, then you get the big name, then you get the hype and then you get the money. I think Guilty Crown and Aquarion Evol might be the perfect examples of this. It's like they figured they'd got all the big names they could possibly want for otaku and then just totally forgot that they still need to actually plan out, pace and manage the show properly.

I don't think GC and AE were bad because of those reasons. In the contrary, I think both shows were planned out rather well. I think the reasons they sucked was because there were serious problems with the concepts that were planned to begin with.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 19:11   Link #138
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
The thing with Mari Okada is that she gets assigned to so many goddamn projects these days inevitably a good amount of them are going to have trash concepts to begin with (See Aquarion, BRS, etc.). I don't really blame her for those. Where I do take issue with her when she writes or oversees stuff is when we watch stuff from her like Hanasaku Iroha. An original work that at its best clearly shows she has a talent for writing when she keeps her work focused, but on the other end of the spectrum on this show is some of the most patronizing or lazy writing imaginable that is downright insulting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
"FUCK YOU DEEN, DAMNABLE RUINER OF ANIME, THERE GOES ANOTHER GREAT FRANCHISE DOWN THE DRAIN" moaning could be prevented.
It couldn't be said enough honestly .
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 19:33   Link #139
Akito Kinomoto
木之本 慊人
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I know a lot of people judge but I think a lot of it is just harmless speculation mistaken as judgement.
Speculation? Indeed. Harmless? Much of my hesitation to watch Hyouka is leftover regret from Nichijou.
__________________
Your kiss stopped the beat of my heart, and brought me close to you despite the fact that we have
been together for all of this time, and shared a dream and promise for a door that we'd walk through
The door opened now but it was always so clear, it lets me see your love as it shines like a ruby
It feels like nothing's between us, my soul is drawn to your heart with a feeling and hope that I...will show
My love...to you...
with...our FirstKissMy MAL
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai review
Wanna mouse over her?
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 20:07   Link #140
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
Speculation? Indeed. Harmless? Much of my hesitation to watch Hyouka is leftover regret from Nichijou.
So you're saying that if you didn't know that Hyouka was done by KyoAni that you'd be less hesitant to watch it?

If so, that's interesting... I'd say a lot of people are watching Hyouka because it's made by KyoAni.

I like Hyouka myself, but I doubt it would have had anywhere near as much attention given to it if it was a JC Staff or DEEN property.


While I respect Dr. Casey's point, I think you have to take the bad with the good. The cost of pre-airing studio/producer hype (for KyoAni shows, for certain writers like Urobuchi, etc...) is there's also going to be pre-airing studio/producer dread (for DEEN, for certain writers like Yoshino, etc...).

It's probably better to have a mix of hype/notoriety that anime fans can enjoy speculating over than to have a fog of information that is only lifted the moment an anime airs.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
okada, writer

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.