AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-06-19, 02:44   Link #5881
Kawarimi
( ゚∀(・-・) 〜(^∇^〜)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: アインクラッド
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuno View Post
You point out the very scenario that the author of "How to Win Friends and Influence People" made in the book. Great book, hasn't worked for me though, but makes a ton of sense~ To answer your question, I often wonder about that too. A lot of times I surrender and say "You're right" because I can't be bothered. Arguing usually leads to two unhappy people. If it's my love and he isn't an abusive jerk, I don't see reasons to argue either. Talking yes, compromise yes, arguing no.
^ Yeah, it does feel like wasted effort, especially if it's with a person you care about. One bad argument could jeopardize your relationship with them, is proving yourself right, saving face, or just plain stubbornness worth more than them? I'd like to think not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
I'd say the point would basically try to present a fact or reason that the other party might be unaware, or to point out some flaw or weakness in their reasoning/logic/defense that they may have over looked previously in order to persuade them or some outside 3rd party.

Though obviously some issues for arguments will fall into more gray or vague areas which causes both sides to continue because they feel or believe they are right, or that the other side is wrong for some reason, even if neither will back down, then they might at least be able to see some validity or insight in the other side after hearing all they have to say in the argument, even if they still disagree. It depends how you define "argument" exactly though, because I don't think an "argument" has to be disrespectful by default anyways.
Oh yes I'm certainly not saying that it's always 4chan level, but you don't have to hear them shouting at you to know it's stressing them out.
__________________

AS' Social Thread
Gone but not forgotten.


REBUILD
Kawarimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 04:30   Link #5882
Zakoo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gensokyo
Convincing each others is generally impossible in the case of an argument, things are never black or white as such there are a multitudes point of view possible on one question. The goal then is simply to convince people who have no POV on the question. That s why people argue and rarely they argue when there is nobody around to read their arguments (be it on TV or internet).

There s also the fact of non sensical argumants, those most used nowadays as authority or ad personam. Same for some rhetoric figures, to point the fallacy of those who use it is the very essence of an argument. That s what did Socrate back then.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 04:32   Link #5883
Kawarimi
( ゚∀(・-・) 〜(^∇^〜)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: アインクラッド
^ Oh right I forgot about public debates, the objective is pretty clear in that case.
__________________

AS' Social Thread
Gone but not forgotten.


REBUILD
Kawarimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 08:14   Link #5884
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Convincing each others is generally impossible in the case of an argument, things are never black or white as such there are a multitudes point of view possible on one question. The goal then is simply to convince people who have no POV on the question. That s why people argue and rarely they argue when there is nobody around to read their arguments (be it on TV or internet).
Argument is actually good if moderated, it forces us to think and reconsider our viewpoints and positions. Makes us more decisive IMO.

We are given a brain for a reason. If we don't use it to understand and simply learn, we are simply machines with a biological construct; what is the point of living? Might as well become soylent green to feed those who want the freedom of thought but are continually suppressed by thoughtcrime-busters.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 08:36   Link #5885
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Debate or arguments work if *both* parties have the ability to adapt/change their viewpoint based on new information -- in other words, they're able to think critically. If either party lacks that skill, then all you can do is try to isolate that person so they can't mislead/misinform others (demonstrate to the audience they're such a person).
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 15:24   Link #5886
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: hahahahahahahahaha
Age: 25
Does anyone know a better method to get rid of my moustache? I tried tweezers, but it takes time and plenty of patience. I have been warned sternly not to use razor.
__________________
A politically ignorant person who embraces only hedonism as the main philosophical doctrine.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 15:49   Link #5887
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
razor would produce evil results, the hair grows back thicker ... there are some facial dipilatories (creams) but your mileage may vary. You may have to try several products to find one that doesn't irritate you. There's also some bleachy products but that depends on your skin tone as to whether it is a good idea or not.

That No-No hair remover product is a con scam disaster - stay away. It burns the hair off essentially (and the top skin layer, most reviews comment on the burning skin smell).

I've looked at products periodically even as a guy because I can shave to the blood line and two hours later I've got scruffy skin.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 15:55   Link #5888
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: hahahahahahahahaha
Age: 25
I used 2 products, and both times I suffered swollen upper lip. I bought it according to Amazon reviews. My lady moustache is not very apparent, but I am still sensitive about it.
__________________
A politically ignorant person who embraces only hedonism as the main philosophical doctrine.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 16:01   Link #5889
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
There may be some estrogen creams or laser treatments to try (see skin doctor). Outside of those - everything else I've seen looks painful (tapes, drying goo - both ripped off at the end) :P
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 16:27   Link #5890
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
Age: 46
You could grow it into something like a Fu Manchu or even a Viking 'stache with braids and everything. That would rock!

Endless "Helpful" Soul
__________________
VF-19 and VF-22S from Macross Plus
Signature by ganbaru
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 16:35   Link #5891
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: hahahahahahahahaha
Age: 25
If I do that, no one would marry me.

Endless "Meanie" Soul
__________________
A politically ignorant person who embraces only hedonism as the main philosophical doctrine.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 17:10   Link #5892
Yuno
Balanced Diet
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: !ouY htiW
Send a message via Skype™ to Yuno
Hmm, I had a friend who had a similar problem. She used waxing to remove it, and it seemed to work. If one waxes enough the hair stops growing in. My entire left leg is bald because I wax. Makes the right one look odd though. Waxing can be painful though and if your have sensative skin it might not be possible.

I'm assuming you're female based on the comment you put. However, lazer and electrolosys has gotten a lot cheaper nowadays. Depending on where you live you can get treatments as low as 150$ a month. Not bad~
Yuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 17:21   Link #5893
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
Age: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
If I do that, no one would marry me.

Endless "Meanie" Soul
Well, if you argue for your limitations, you'll get them. ~shrugs~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuno View Post
However, lazer and electrolosys has gotten a lot cheaper nowadays. Depending on where you live you can get treatments as low as 150$ a month. Not bad~
Also, since you have darker hair, it should work pretty good. The lasers seem to have a problem with white and red hair.

Endless "Not so mean" Soul
__________________
VF-19 and VF-22S from Macross Plus
Signature by ganbaru
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 18:43   Link #5894
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawarimi View Post
What exactly is the point of an argument?
1. To prove they're wrong.
2. To prove your smarter.
3. To kill time....

NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 19:02   Link #5895
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
1. To prove they're wrong.
2. To prove your smarter.
3. To kill time....

(I'm going to apologize in advance)

<doofus voice> I am going to ignore your argument because it is "you're", not "your" in bullet item 2.

(how not to argue on the Intartubes... )
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 21:00   Link #5896
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
(I'm going to apologize in advance)

<doofus voice> I am going to ignore your argument because it is "you're", not "your" in bullet item 2.

(how not to argue on the Intartubes... )
Oh, guess I failed in this one... Vexx's smarter!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-20, 00:01   Link #5897
Yuno
Balanced Diet
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: !ouY htiW
Send a message via Skype™ to Yuno
Rofl, that is great I have seen that mostly on youtube videos. I never understood why people argue on youtube.

Now for my question! How long does it take for a cavity to turn into a root canal situation?
Yuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-20, 01:42   Link #5898
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
razor would produce evil results, the hair grows back thicker.
I've always felt the same way but experts insist that shaving doesn't cause hair to grow back thicker and coarser. I don't know why they say so. It simply doesn't tally with my real-life experience.

Am currently sporting sideburns. I reckon that, if I wished, I could potentially have mutton-chop whiskers... but I don't think I'll ever go that far. As it were, my sideburns are a mess every morning and I'm going to have to trim them to look presentable.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-20, 05:02   Link #5899
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
Do nice guys often, if not always, finish last?

Because after my recent debacle I think it's time to reassess my stubborn adherence to my beliefs after 10 years worth of constant failure.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-20, 06:51   Link #5900
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Kitch-Water and T.O., Canada
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Do nice guys often, if not always, finish last?

Because after my recent debacle I think it's time to reassess my stubborn adherence to my beliefs after 10 years worth of constant failure.
Nice and observant. I know oblivious/absent-minded people that always try to be nice but they do not finish last. They still prioritize themselves first. It's not intentional. It's just that other people do not have a place in their mind.

I'm not a nice person but I am quite sensitive to environment and fine details in people. It's quite easy to notice other people who are observant and kind. Those people and I think very alike. Everything we do, we think of how it will affect everyone else. Except they decide to be nice put others ahead of themselves and I decide to be comparably more selfish.

They finish last because very few people are observant enough to even notice a genuinely kind person. They only pick up the artificial/forced generosity people like to pretend to have. They give more than they get, so it's natural they get the shorter end of the stick.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
problem, q&a, questions, serious

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.