AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-24, 05:03   Link #3261
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Interesting. So privateer pirates where actually an original idea from the Empire and the Morning Star copied it.

This gives a lot question on how pirates in the Empire operate.

PS: Kenjo Kurihara, the coolest dad who has no shame of embarrassing his daughter lol!
Old 2012-06-24, 05:12   Link #3262
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

So, quickly went through this ep. Couple of things that stick out in my mind:

1) Pirates really love chinese food.

2) Legendary Chef's son makes a mean ABC.

3) Ririka still has her skills, even after being retired for a while.

4) Misa is handling the whole Kane-Shane switch very calmly.

Given that the Empress of the Galactic Empire apparently sent Ironbeard after Quartz, and given his tone towards her - firm, no overt aggression, this is for your safety, the Empress has commanded your return - makes me suspect that Quartz is the heir to the Imperial Throne, and she's out and about as a recognised pirate to 1) get some experience outside the castle, 2) placing the Empress' heir in a place of relative safety, given the firepower Grand Cross possesses. There's something similar in the British Royal Family, where the men are expected to serve in the Forces; currently Prince Harry has qualified as an Apache pilot with the aim of deploying in Afghanistan. Given that the Apache is the next best thing to a flying tank (after the A-10), it's the safest place for him to be.

I've heard suggestions before that according to the light novels Gonzaemon comes from a Navy/Pirate family, and was a commissioned officer of the Imperial Navy; his position as Captain of the Bentenmaru would then be very useful for people in intelligence work. I speculate that not only is he really Ironbeard, but he and the Parabellum are roving troubleshooters on Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Incidentally this isn't the first time this has happened; in the Vorksigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold, the main character eventually ends up in command of a mercenary fleet, in addition to his normal job as an Government Courier, which is a cover for his actual job as an intelligence agent. Said fleet came in handy for more than a few missions requiring a deft touch.

That said, Ironbeard being Marika's dad... possible, but I think that'd be too convinient. More likely he's an uncle or something, given how he's got the same blue eyes as Ririka and Marika.

...also Ririka in that catsuit is win.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 05:56   Link #3263
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post

Given that the Empress of the Galactic Empire apparently sent Ironbeard after Quartz, and given his tone towards her - firm, no overt aggression, this is for your safety, the Empress has commanded your return - makes me suspect that Quartz is the heir to the Imperial Throne, and she's out and about as a recognised pirate to 1) get some experience outside the castle, 2) placing the Empress' heir in a place of relative safety, given the firepower Grand Cross possesses. There's something similar in the British Royal Family, where the men are expected to serve in the Forces; currently Prince Harry has qualified as an Apache pilot with the aim of deploying in Afghanistan. Given that the Apache is the next best thing to a flying tank (after the A-10), it's the safest place for him to be.

I've heard suggestions before that according to the light novels Gonzaemon comes from a Navy/Pirate family, and was a commissioned officer of the Imperial Navy; his position as Captain of the Bentenmaru would then be very useful for people in intelligence work. I speculate that not only is he really Ironbeard, but he and the Parabellum are roving troubleshooters on Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Incidentally this isn't the first time this has happened; in the Vorksigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold, the main character eventually ends up in command of a mercenary fleet, in addition to his normal job as an Government Courier, which is a cover for his actual job as an intelligence agent. Said fleet came in handy for more than a few missions requiring a deft touch.

That said, Ironbeard being Marika's dad... possible, but I think that'd be too convinient. More likely he's an uncle or something, given how he's got the same blue eyes as Ririka and Marika.

Ririka doesn't have Ironbeard's and Marika's blue colored eyes.

Spoiler for ...:

Last edited by encia; 2012-06-24 at 08:03.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 07:13   Link #3264
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Gah, I knew that avatar would already be taken by the time I got here. How did they even get Chiaki to perform the song anyway? I assume her beloved Marika is the one who convinced her. Thank you for that, Marika-sama.

The episode was indeed a bit all over the place but I enjoyed it anyway. The atmosphere of the show is still the same and it's what matters most. Luca's return was fittingly anti-climatic. She comes back right when people are starting to question what happened to her. And it turns she's been enjoying herself as a cougar all this time... though she did need to be saved by Blaster Ririka during her journey. Ririka is amazing... she proved worthy of her reputation. I wonder what she'll do after her little gig for Ironbeard is over.

Quartz is apparently royalty,huh... there had been a lack of princesses in this series lately. She doesn't hold a candle to the Serenity sisters though. I hope they'll come back for the final episode.
Old 2012-06-24, 08:34   Link #3265
j4c06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
The problem with Hakuoh school being girls only is that they start to fantasize Marika has men to ogle at the pirate meeting. Marika is too innocent for that as she didn't get what Luca enjoyed at her vacation.
I think the men Luca was referring to were actually the guys Ririka had to shoot at for her...
j4c06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 08:44   Link #3266
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4c06 View Post
I think the men Luca was referring to were actually the guys Ririka had to shoot at for her...
Luca collected Hawaiian shirts... Lots of them. And she enjoyed them already.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 08:59   Link #3267
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

As in each shirt was a trophy marking a conquest? I suppose it's possible.

Endless "Trophy" Soul
Old 2012-06-24, 09:16   Link #3268
JaLooNz
Longtime Member

<<< More Coorie...
JaLooNz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 10:26   Link #3269
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post

Jenny hinted there are other ways of becoming a space pirate than just inheriting a Letter of Marque.

It is possible that Gonzaemon Kato may have gotten his frontier Letter of Marque from Ririka or that Ririka was an Imperial Navy officer. Either Ririka or Gonzaemon was an Imperial Navy officer or privateer who married a frontier pirate. Letter of Marque may change hands through marriage...we don't know yet

My guess...
- Ririka was Imperial Intelligence or Navy because of her tough demeanor and her job after retiring from piracy. She's also really good with blasters.
- Ririka could be an Imperial Princess like Grunhilde Serenity... just way older
- a young Ririka enlisted the help of a young Gonzaemon
- Ririka and Gonzaemon had a ton of adventures together and saved the Galaxy and Empire a dozen times over
- during their adventures Ririka and Gonzaemon got really close...
- Gonzaemon became chummy with the Emperor and the Serenity royal family through his adventures with Ririka
- Gonzaemon and Ririka get married and she gets pregnant
- they both decide it is better for Ririka to settle down and raise their daughter
- Gonzaemon and Ririka get a fake divorce so Ririka and Marika can live in peace.
- Gonzaemon visited Marika in secret.
- Gonzaemon was pulled in by the Empire and was forced to fake his death

Ririka seems more like a soldier or spy than Gonzaemon. As a civilian she wore a uniform everyday and worked as an air/space traffic controller. Seems like a career a former space navy officer with experience would pursue.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 13:31   Link #3270
tsunade666

Chika-chan was so cute on this episode that I ever forget what happen at the beginning. All been replaced by the dancing duet!
Old 2012-06-24, 15:11   Link #3271
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Luca's return was fittingly anti-climatic. She comes back right when people are starting to question what happened to her. And it turns she's been enjoying herself as a cougar all this time...
Cougar ? Why most of you say that?
Old 2012-06-24, 15:51   Link #3272
Merkarion

Is there everybody here thinking that Ironbeard is Marikaīs Father?

Why?

There are some points against this theorie !!

Biggest Point :If Ironbeard is Gonzamon Kato...the Crew of the Bentenmaru didnīt recognize him !! (if you know somebody good after years of working together, a Mask didnīt help^^)

My thought is that he is related with Ririka and Marika. I think he is Gonzamons Brother...or Ririkas Father ...or Ririkas older Brother^^ (Older Brother in my opinion).
Ririka didnīt have the exact Eyecolor ...but there Eyes are similar (Ironbeard and Ririka).

Ok we will see.

btw: Quartz Christie looks like she is a little older than Marika. Maybe in a secound Season a new Friend after the Battle (it looks like she respected Marika after the Escape in EP 24).
Maybe she is really an Imperial Royal Family Member
Merkarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 15:58   Link #3273
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkarion View Post

Why?

Biggest Point :If Ironbeard is Gonzamon Kato...the Crew of the Bentenmaru didnīt recognize him !! (if you know somebody good after years of working together, a Mask didnīt help^^)
Or they're choosing to keep mum about it, just like they kept mum about Kane's brother. Or they were in on it from the beginning.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 16:24   Link #3274
Magewolf

Quote:

Why?

My thought is that he is related with Ririka and Marika. I think he is Gonzamons Brother...or Ririkas Father ...or Ririkas older Brother^^ (Older Brother in my opinion).
Ririka didnīt have the exact Eyecolor ...but there Eyes are similar (Ironbeard and Ririka).

Ok we will see.

btw: Quartz Christie looks like she is a little older than Marika. Maybe in a secound Season a new Friend after the Battle (it looks like she respected Marika after the Escape in EP 24).

But there are several huge reasons to think he is.

1 He is wearing a mask.No need to do that if you do not have something to hide.

2 The eyes match.

3 And most importantly he has at least 2 crew members and Ririka spying on and lying to Marika.

After reason number 3 I would be very upset if he turns out to be anyone else.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 16:48   Link #3275
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

But the CRA with Ironbeard ect does not come from original novel I'm wrong? therefore he must believe that Ironbeard was invented just for the anime? ^ ^ "

If I'm wrong then yes it may be Marika's father if not then I would think it would be the brother of Gonzaemon (Twin brother to dream a little xD)

and

Why would a cougar Luca? I do not understand those who say it ^ ^ "
Old 2012-06-24, 16:59   Link #3276
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Luca made it seem like she was picking up dudes left and right but appears she was talking about the people giving her things, keeping her distracted, and those guys that tried to kill her.

- she went on vacation after the yacht race
- someone intercepted the orders for her to return to the Bentenmaru
- she went on a shopping spree and had her vacation extended
- someone was trying to keep her distracted and then tried to kill her but the crew of the Parabellum saved her... Blaster Ririka took out the guys who were going to ambush her.

Quote:

Why?

Ok we will see.

- It's likely that the senior crew of the Bentenmaru helped Gonzo fake his death.
- Misa appeared to be playing dumb
- Misa directed a question about being a parent to Ironbeard, which Ririka answered.
- Misa was very comfortable and casual with Ironbeard and his crew... even punked them demanding compensation for pulling the switch for Kane.

The only issue with Ironbeard is that he's so big, strong, and stoic. I would expect Marika's father to be a little bit more dorky according from Grueir's account. Marika is kind of a dork and people compare her personality to that of her father. On the other hand, frontier pirating requires a lot of acting and Ironbeard may just be a character Gonzo plays.

Last edited by mechalord; 2012-06-24 at 17:22.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 17:14   Link #3277
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Luca made it seem like she was picking up dudes left and right but in reality she was talking about the people giving her things, keeping her distracted, and those guys that tried to kill her.
Ha ok... ^^"

and

Hahaha if only it could happen

Old 2012-06-24, 19:45   Link #3278
Kyuu
=^^=

Only watched mid-way through the episode.

I gotta say. Never have I been more impressed by Marika's brashness until today. And I look forward to more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaiar31 View Post
Oh, my laughing and tears. Poor Chiaki. How adorable! (and embarrassing) XD

Spoiler:

Quote:

Why?
No. I outright refuse to think along those lines -- until -- it's actually made a "reality". Wouldn't Kato being alive nullify Marika's right as a captain?

Last edited by Kyuu; 2012-06-24 at 20:31.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 21:02   Link #3279
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

I have a question (answer me by private message) that will image Marika and Chiaki, Marika is one or towel and Chiaki is above it
Old 2012-06-24, 21:45   Link #3280
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaki_chan View Post
Cougar ? Why most of you say that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaki_chan View Post
Why would a cougar Luca? I do not understand those who say it ^ ^ "
In English, a Cougar is slang for an older woman who likes to be with younger men. There is some pretty good evidence that Luca is indeed a Cougar.

Endless "Too old for Luca" Soul

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri