AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-06-25, 10:29   Link #81
darkchibi07
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Show any "all girls" anime or 90% of harems to a typical Hollywood movie producer, and their head will explode because they're used to failing the Bechdel test.
Now that would be an interesting topic to start another thread on.
__________________

darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 12:29   Link #82
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Show any "all girls" anime or 90% of harems to a typical Hollywood movie producer, and their head will explode because they're used to failing the Bechdel test.
I just like the idea of exploding hollywood movie producer/exec heads... there should be a scorched earth policy on them, their accountants, their lawyers --- send them file attachments of these scenes. We know they're incapable of not opening every attachment offered them :P
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 21:39   Link #83
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It kind of goes without saying because harem shows require a certain combination of factors to work:

1. The protagonist has to attract multiple potential mates for whatever reason (whether it's judged to be "deserved" or "not deserved" is up to the author to suggest and the viewer to decide)

2. The protagonist has to act in such a way that will perpetuate the question of "who he will choose", which gives the potential mates a reason to continue their pursuit.

3. The protagonist's presence can't overshadow that of the potential mates, because they are just as important to the audience if not more so.

4. The protagonist must not "cross the line" with any potential mate unless they are the final choice (except if this is a melodrama or a tragedy). (Where the "line" is can sometimes be one of the points.)

So based on all these factors, the protagonist basically has to be flawed in some way, and possibly in a certain specific set of ways to perpetuate the fantasy.

Still, though, when they talk about a "Yuuji Everylead", the issue isn't whether or not they're reliable when push comes to shove (even Yuuji himself doesn't remain powerless), but how bland/dull their personality otherwise is. If the protagonist just goes with the flow most of the time and, when the time comes, saves the day simply because they're the protagonist and it's back to the status quo... it's not very distinctive or memorable. The oft-quoted theory here is that these sorts of male lead characters are ostensibly easier for the target audience to relate to (because their lack of distinctiveness gives them more in common with as many people as possible), but people who don't want to see the protagonist as a "sit-in" for themselves argue that this is too "pandering" and/or plain.

I think that, regardless of the protagonist's other traits, the more the show emphasizes the protagonist's inability to make a romantic decision, the more frustrated some people will be with both the show and the protagonist. But of course, the fact the protagonist won't choose is the point because, once the protagonist chooses, the story ends. That's the genre. Anecdotally, I have in fact seen some people whose frustration with this issue inherent to the genre is what causes them to prefer the "All Girls" anime the OP is proposing, because they can see it as "all great heroines, no annoying male lead". So I guess there can be a link between the two styles of shows, even though they're otherwise also quite different.
Crossing the line won't really hurt, casual sex can been as another way to pass the time, something like having dinner or something similar. Maybe a bit of naughty bedside talk.

Damn, I really have a casual approach to sex...
__________________
Old McDonald had a farm...Eyey Eyey O...And on his farm he had a Khzithak...Eyey Eyey O...With a ARHHFAHHAAAAAAAAARRRGIIIAAA HELP AAAUUU HELP! IT'S GNAWING OFF MY...
asaqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 23:34   Link #84
Tempester
AS's "Love Live!" Fanatic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Listening to "SENTIMENTAL StepS" on repeat
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Now that would be an interesting topic to start another thread on.
Perhaps. I don't feel like it right now, but anyone is free to do it if they wish to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe View Post
Crossing the line won't really hurt, casual sex can been as another way to pass the time, something like having dinner or something similar. Maybe a bit of naughty bedside talk.

Damn, I really have a casual approach to sex...
In this case, the "line" would be somewhere beyond sex, like a love confession or marriage. It's theoretically possible to maintain a harem even after having sex with one of the heroines, and I'm almost sure that it's been done at some point. But it's not common outside of porn VNs and manga. The problem is that most harem manga and light novels have this idea that sex has to be the ultimate declaration of love, meaning that if the male MC has sex with a girl, he has irreversibly chosen her as his permanent love partner.
__________________
MyAnimeList
- - - - -
Visual novel list
- - - - -
Recently completed anime:
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Zettai Shougeki: Platonic Heart
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (1993 OVA)
Girls und Panzer: Kore ga Hontou no Anzio-sen Desu!
Sakura Trick
Love Live! School Idol Project 2nd Season
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 00:08   Link #85
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Moe Land
Age: 33
As long as the story is interesting I like watching a harem or an all girls anime.
__________________
Vampire+Sisters
kenjiharima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 00:45   Link #86
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
The problem is that most harem manga and light novels have this idea that sex has to be the ultimate declaration of love, meaning that if the male MC has sex with a girl, he has irreversibly chosen her as his permanent love partner.
Well, yeah, and the reason for this is that these are mostly shounen works published in magazines sold to kids and teenagers (or anime adapted from the same). So the editorial influence, despite all the "fanservice", is that "sex is something special and should be saved for the one you love". (Very conservative values juxtaposed with all this nudity, suggestiveness, and "immorality". ) Going against this principle almost always results in a Bad End.

Anyway, venturing a bit afar from the topic, but all this to say that the properties of this particular genre seem fairly set in stone, whereas I still think "all girls anime" is a pretty vague descriptor that can cover a whole lot of different genres.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 02:10   Link #87
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Gone are the days when you could filp through Weekly Shounen Jump, and see sex depicted in Cobra.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 03:34   Link #88
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_500 View Post
One thing I hate to hear about people may said about an anime where 90% of the characters are female, especially teenage girls and they quickly thought it going to be moe or ecchi "craps". How "crappy" is Taishou Yakyuu Musume for example? TYM is one of the few shows that isn't ends up as neither moe(except perhaps for Koumei though but she acts just like a normal 14-years old girl) or ecchi crap. Expect no bouncy breasts and pantyshots in that show. Despite all that it also quite obvious that the show's main target audiences are 20-something men and this can be explain with marketing alone, as it may sell better as seinen than shoujo or josei, as it lacked of romance(and most likely bishies). However in the West, outside the internet in can be considered as a failure for lacking any 'commercial values'.
Taisho Yakyuu Musume isn't moe in the sense that something like Kanon is moe. Personally though, I conceive of moe more broadly - something like a certain feminine vitality or charm possessed by a character. And those sorts of qualities are definitely present in TYM. Koume's probably the easiest to recognize as a moe character just because of her youthful enthusiasm and spirited rather than intellectual style - something I'd arguable is not only a moe archetype, but perhaps the moe archetype. Personally, my favourite was Yuki though, since manages to combine refined and youthful enthusiasm into something that's more than the sum of those two treats. And I love Noto Mamiko's voicework.

Either way it's a great show, and pretty unique among it's kind for it's period setting and plot. As for those that deride it for being an all girls show - it's possible some of them are extrapolating bad experiences with lesser all girl's shows on it or something along that line. But personally I suspect a lot of it is either a) old school anime fans high on their own sense of superiority or b) guys who consider all girls shows anime "girly" and therefore beneath them. Really, the latter is one of the few things I think can account for the visceral, non-critical nature of some of the attacks on the genre I've encountered.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 03:48   Link #89
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
I disagree that in VN that "you" are the protagonist because the main characters tend to have their own personalities (eventhough most of them are dokan though)
You should play any of the late Kanno Hiroyuki's works, where pretty much every single protagonist he drew were complete and utter badasses. Regardless of their age.

He was one of the three big genius of the eroge market back a decade ago, along with Elf's Hiurta and Alicesoft's TADA.
These three were the cornerstones of the medium, and Kanno's work at Elf "YU-NO" is one of the best eroge novel ever made. If not THE best.

Alas, after his works in recent years were less than mediocre, and then he passed away, without even completing the detective series we never got to see the conclusion of....

Anyways, you're right that many of the leads do have strong personalities, and clearly not a simple avatar for projection of the player.
There were many mediocre eroge where they try to make the protagonist = player, but they are usually not popular enough to be made into anime anyways.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 10:24   Link #90
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Frankly, I can't project myself into most VNs either because the choices often suck. I'm sitting there saying, "what a jackass, NONE of these choices are what I'd do"
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 10:35   Link #91
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base in the rectum of Pacific Ocean
Age: 34
I have that problem too with most of light novels, which may explain my dislike for Yuuji Everyleads, the most recent one being Narumi from Kami-sama Memochou. No wonder people mostly remember Alice because otherwise it would have been very forgetable.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 12:43   Link #92
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Snake Way
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Frankly, I can't project myself into most VNs either because the choices often suck. I'm sitting there saying, "what a jackass, NONE of these choices are what I'd do"
Hahaha same here. Its like every anime with romance like toloveru and Rosario vampire the lead never picks the girl i would. Like haseo and alkaid in hack//gu. Instead he picks the annoying wussy damsel is distress.
__________________
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 16:00   Link #93
Akito Kinomoto
木之本 慊人
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
b) guys who consider all girls shows anime "girly" and therefore beneath them.
Out of curiosity, do you hear this more from younger people or older ones? I'd understand the girly complaint if it was the former but for the latter all I can say is that "all girls" shows, especially male-targeted ones, are probably the least "girly" works you could watch since they play on male attraction if that makes sense. A different form of masculinity maybe?
__________________
My MALLet's do a head count here. We've got a ruthless spearman, a girl with a thousand muskets, a near-psycho fighting for love, and a deity who lives up to her status. You've managed to piss them all off. When they come, and they will, they're coming for you

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ I have an army

We have a Goddess
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 17:24   Link #94
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
Out of curiosity, do you hear this more from younger people or older ones? I'd understand the girly complaint if it was the former but for the latter all I can say is that "all girls" shows, especially male-targeted ones, are probably the least "girly" works you could watch since they play on male attraction if that makes sense. A different form of masculinity maybe?
I think the complaint that "all girls" shows are "girly" comes partly from the stereotypically-"manly" "guys shouldn't have feelings" school of thought (except for hunger, anger, will-to-kill/conquer, and steeled resolve ). To this audience, a show about a group of girls going about their "inane" lives and talking about arguably-pointless things might be considered torture (akin to a girlfriend saying "let's sit down and talk about our feelings"). I think this attitude is very old-fashioned and almost offensively stereotypical... but I can't deny that it's there to some degree. On the one hand I'd say that it sways towards younger people (who are still worried about "looking cool" in front of their friends), but I've known a lot of adults who still act this way too. So I think the appeal of these sorts of "all girls" shows may be lost on part of the audience, who are basically trained to not relate to other people on an emotional level (hence have a hard time empathizing with the characters in these sorts of shows). Many harem shows are exempted from that because they can be grounded in the male protagonist's basic nature and the way he sees the female characters in the story (which doesn't always require as much empathy with them directly).

This isn't by any means trying to make a judgement call on people who like either sort of show; I've certainly appreciated both equally. But I think it's possible that some people's personality/nature may influence the sorts of shows they're drawn to.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 17:58   Link #95
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Its something you're *supposed* to grow out of as you mature - the simplistic 'macho-man' stereotype and the underlying insecurity/fear of being caught having more complex behavior. Its mostly in young people but as relentless notes - some "men" never grow out of it. :P
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 19:56   Link #96
Akito Kinomoto
木之本 慊人
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I think the complaint that "all girls" shows are "girly" comes partly from the stereotypically-"manly" "guys shouldn't have feelings" school of thought (except for hunger, anger, will-to-kill/conquer, and steeled resolve ). To this audience, a show about a group of girls going about their "inane" lives and talking about arguably-pointless things might be considered torture (akin to a girlfriend saying "let's sit down and talk about our feelings").
Oh, right. I actually take the amount of "feelings" a lot of shows have for granted since I'm less likely to watching something "manly." And anyway I thought it was equating a series male:female ratio as a measure for how girly or not something is. Content-wise, yeah, it's a different story.

I'd like to see how they'd handle Fist of the North Star. Their reaction to the amount of emotion the series has on "manliness" alone would be priceless.
__________________
My MALLet's do a head count here. We've got a ruthless spearman, a girl with a thousand muskets, a near-psycho fighting for love, and a deity who lives up to her status. You've managed to piss them all off. When they come, and they will, they're coming for you

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ I have an army

We have a Goddess
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 02:20   Link #97
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
Out of curiosity, do you hear this more from younger people or older ones? I'd understand the girly complaint if it was the former but for the latter all I can say is that "all girls" shows, especially male-targeted ones, are probably the least "girly" works you could watch since they play on male attraction if that makes sense. A different form of masculinity maybe?
It's not something I hear from people, it's something I infer from their statements.
If it is blatant - as in the person going on about the anime they watch is superior to "moeshit" because of the baddassery and gore, I tend to assume the poster is immature.

Older fans tend to be more subtle about it and I doubt many of them consciously recognize that they tend to think of "girly" shows as inferior. But the sheer vitriol directed at all girls shows in general and the lack of such directed at even really crappy action shows isn't easily explained otherwise. These guys feel threatened by the by these "girly" shows because it doesn't fit with the image they've built up over the years of how cool their hobby is.

As for whether all girl's shows are actually the least girly because they play on male attraction, I would disagree. While there are exceptions, I tend to find the girls in most such shows far more endearing than attractive - hardly the hallmark of male attraction IMO.

(Of course, there's the whole theory of how these shows appease the "fatherhood gene" in older male otaku, but I'm not sure that's what you're getting at. Especially since it's not a theory I see discussed much in the west - personally, I think it explains some characters and shows very well but only a few.)
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 21:16   Link #98
Akito Kinomoto
木之本 慊人
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Older fans tend to be more subtle about it and I doubt many of them consciously recognize that they tend to think of "girly" shows as inferior. But the sheer vitriol directed at all girls shows in general and the lack of such directed at even really crappy action shows isn't easily explained otherwise. These guys feel threatened by the by these "girly" shows because it doesn't fit with the image they've built up over the years of how cool their hobby is.

As for whether all girl's shows are actually the least girly because they play on male attraction, I would disagree. While there are exceptions, I tend to find the girls in most such shows far more endearing than attractive - hardly the hallmark of male attraction IMO

(Of course, there's the whole theory of how these shows appease the "fatherhood gene" in older male otaku, but I'm not sure that's what you're getting at. Especially since it's not a theory I see discussed much in the west - personally, I think it explains some characters and shows very well but only a few.)
On the point of the quantity of criticism, I think there's some exposure factor at work. If something becomes more prominent it follows that the hate it receives would become more noticeable. The severity of the complaints remains the same but the amount of it not so much methinks.

Fair enough. I can see the distinction between endearing and attractive though I have the suspicion the dichotomy isn't a precise line.

(The fatherhood gene is definitely not the context I'm thinking of. It's less of the character being a daughter and instead takes the familial position one order higher than that.)
__________________
My MALLet's do a head count here. We've got a ruthless spearman, a girl with a thousand muskets, a near-psycho fighting for love, and a deity who lives up to her status. You've managed to piss them all off. When they come, and they will, they're coming for you

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ I have an army

We have a Goddess
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 00:13   Link #99
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Where magic is real
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Now that's an interesting statement Lets use 2011 as a sample since it's the most recent complete year, by my count there are 24 harem shows (or shows with harem elements in them).... If I missed out one let me know, after all I don't watch everything...

Spoiler for list:
Heh... looks like I'm still mostly in 2009/2010 in terms of anime, with a few from 11

Anyways, here's my version of that list... and I'm going to add in some criteria for what qualifies as a strong male lead (keep in mind this could degenerate, since my criteria may be different from others):

First off, the ideals of leads: Tenchi, Tsukune (Rosario + Vampire manga, the anime is pure FAIL), Touma* (ToAru), Sai Akuto (Daimou)... and I'm not sure whether or not to include Ayumu (Zombie desu ka), because of the fact that he is kinda forced to crossdress...

The criteria they pretty much fit:

-Although they tend to upset their girls, they generally don't just take the infamous punishment, but actually attempt to defend themselves/fight back
-Actually respond to the girls' feelings
*Touma is the only possible exception to this- he's definitely one of the most dense leads out there, but I think Mikoto is slowly getting to him (in the novels, at least)
-If shit starts to hit the fan, they are able to hold their own in a fight and not rely on the girls... and can protect the girls if need be
-Have their power through most of the series, and actively use it... not just gain and use it near the end of the series
-Aren't overshadowed by the girls for majority of the show

... there's probably more, but these are the ones off the top of my head. Note too that most of the harem stuff that I watch has at least an action plot in there somewhere as well

So here's my list for the past several years, and note that quite of bit of recent anime is missing, because even I haven't seen every single out out there:

Spoiler for BIG list:
__________________
Gifted...or Cursed?

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 02:39   Link #100
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Those are some weak "ideal"s, IMO.
Tench annoyed the crap out of me 20 years ago, and still do now.

Ideal leads to me are like, Ataru from Urusei-Yatsura. He may not get his harem, but he'll die trying!
Or Captain Ohgami from Sakura Taisen games. Get dozens to fall in love wih you. Kill a monster in bare, walk out of explosion like nothing.
How about Banjo Haran from Daitarn 3? Bad-ass, rich, ladies man, and did I mention bad-ass? I mean, the dude's NAME basically means badassery.

All these sackless spineless twats in harem anime can go die in a pit of fire.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.