AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2003-12-15, 21:18   Link #1
niea_7

Question ports forwarding

how to do the ports forwarding??..i'm not using any routers, just aztech modem and switch..have disabled all firewall..anyone can help??...i want to do all of this because my BT dl speed rate really slow!!
niea_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-15, 21:53   Link #2
Sour-Do

Send a message via ICQ to Sour-Do Send a message via AIM to Sour-Do Send a message via MSN to Sour-Do Send a message via Yahoo to Sour-Do
Quote:
Originally Posted by niea_7
how to do the ports forwarding??..i'm not using any routers, just aztech modem and switch..have disabled all firewall..anyone can help??...i want to do all of this because my BT dl speed rate really slow!!
I just responded to your private message, but since you asked publicly, I'll also post my procedure below.

-- Sour-Do
AnimeMuyou!

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURE CAREFULLY AND FOLLOW IT EXACTLY.

You will need to add nine total entries on your friend's PC that is doing ICS:

Start button --> Control Panel (classic view) --> Network Connections --> Local Area Connection (or whatever network adapter he is using to connect to the DSL modem) --> Advanced tab --> Settings... button --> Services tab.

Now you will click on the Add... button to get the Service Settings window. The nine total entries you will add to your friend's computer will instruct his PC to forward any TCP data on ports 6881 through 6889 to your PC:

- For Description of service, you can type in anything, but I suggest BT 6881 TCP (for the first out of nine entries you'll be adding).

- For Name of computer or IP address, I suggest you use your PC's name (NOT friend's) instead of it's IP address, since the IP address that is dynamically assigned to your PC may change. To get your PC's computer name, go:

Start button --> Control Panel --> System --> Computer Name tab --> Full computer name (NOT Computer description).

- For both External port number and Internal port number, enter 6881, and make sure that TCP is selected.

- Click the Okay button, and you're finished with the first entry.

Now click on the Add... button again and repeat the steps above for 6882. (Substitute 6882 everywhere you see 6881 above.)

Keep on repeating until you have finished all nine entries. (The last one should be for 6889.) Rebooting is not required for WinXP.

To test the new settings you created on your friend's PC, you now need to try downloading a file via BitTorrent on your PC using Shadow's client. In the download window, click on Advanced, and watch the third column. At first you will only see L's (connections to local peers holding a public IP address). After some time, you will notice more and more R's (connections to remote peers holding a private netmasked IP address because they are behind routers) appear, and your download speed will increase, if everything is working correctly. If after a few minutes, you still do not see any R's, then there is still a firewall somewhere blocking data on these ports from reaching your computer.

Hopefully, you should be getting the best possible BitTorrent download speed now. Let me know if you still have any problems.
Sour-Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-15, 23:37   Link #3
niea_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour-Do
I just responded to your private message, but since you asked publicly, I'll also post my procedure below.

-- Sour-Do
AnimeMuyou!

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURE CAREFULLY AND FOLLOW IT EXACTLY.

You will need to add nine total entries on your friend's PC that is doing ICS:

Start button --> Control Panel (classic view) --> Network Connections --> Local Area Connection (or whatever network adapter he is using to connect to the DSL modem) --> Advanced tab --> Settings... button --> Services tab.

Now you will click on the Add... button to get the Service Settings window. The nine total entries you will add to your friend's computer will instruct his PC to forward any TCP data on ports 6881 through 6889 to your PC:

- For Description of service, you can type in anything, but I suggest BT 6881 TCP (for the first out of nine entries you'll be adding).

- For Name of computer or IP address, I suggest you use your PC's name (NOT friend's) instead of it's IP address, since the IP address that is dynamically assigned to your PC may change. To get your PC's computer name, go:

Start button --> Control Panel --> System --> Computer Name tab --> Full computer name (NOT Computer description).

- For both External port number and Internal port number, enter 6881, and make sure that TCP is selected.

- Click the Okay button, and you're finished with the first entry.

Now click on the Add... button again and repeat the steps above for 6882. (Substitute 6882 everywhere you see 6881 above.)

Keep on repeating until you have finished all nine entries. (The last one should be for 6889.) Rebooting is not required for WinXP.

To test the new settings you created on your friend's PC, you now need to try downloading a file via BitTorrent on your PC using Shadow's client. In the download window, click on Advanced, and watch the third column. At first you will only see L's (connections to local peers holding a public IP address). After some time, you will notice more and more R's (connections to remote peers holding a private netmasked IP address because they are behind routers) appear, and your download speed will increase, if everything is working correctly. If after a few minutes, you still do not see any R's, then there is still a firewall somewhere blocking data on these ports from reaching your computer.

Hopefully, you should be getting the best possible BitTorrent download speed now. Let me know if you still have any problems.

Start button --> Control Panel (classic view) --> Network Connections --> Local Area Connection (or whatever network adapter he is using to connect to the DSL modem) --> Advanced tab --> Settings... button --> Services tab.....if we want to click the settings button, that mean we have to enabled the firewall first rite?..i thought we must disable all firewall...btw, my friend is not using any firewall software..
Old 2003-12-16, 03:49   Link #4
Sour-Do

Send a message via ICQ to Sour-Do Send a message via AIM to Sour-Do Send a message via MSN to Sour-Do Send a message via Yahoo to Sour-Do
WARNING: Lot's of potentially confusing technical detail and jargon with regards to WinXP's built-in firewall and connection sharing ahead... Not for the sqeamish. Sorry, I can not come up with a simpler way to explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niea_7
if we want to click the settings button, that mean we have to enabled the firewall first rite?
Short answer: On your friend's PC, yes, that is correct. If you want to use WinXP's Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), then you must also use WinXP's Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) if you wish to forward ports to another PC.

As we discussed by PM, your friend's PC is acting as a gateway for you, standing between the internet and your PC. In order for your PC to connect to remote BitTorrent peers (and get a better download speed), your PC must be able to "listen" for incoming announcements from those remote peers.

If your friend's PC only has ICS enabled and ICF disabled, then his computer is completely open to "listen" for any unrequested incoming data packets from the internet, while your computer is completely blocked off from unrequested incoming data. In this situation, your netmasked PC can only receive data that it specifically requested from the internet. This is not the same as "listening". All listening ports in effect are forwarded to your friend's unprotected PC.

If your friend's PC has both ICS and ICF enabled, then he can select which ports can be "listened" on and by who. The unrequested incoming data will be blocked unless specific ports are forwarded either to his PC or yours.

If you enable ICF on your friend's PC and then follow my previous procedures, then the ports that BitTorrent requires will be forwarded from your friend's PC to yours. As a result, he will not be able to get a good download speed via BitTorrent, but you will.

There is no need for you to turn on ICS or ICF on your PC. Keep them disabled.

-- Sour-Do
AnimeMuyou!
Sour-Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-16, 07:04   Link #5
niea_7

that help me a lot!! ...thanks Sour-Do!!