AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-07-02, 14:19   Link #1101
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Ah - too bad! I'm curious to see how it's doing - the only indicators we have are that surprise appearance in the Sankaku poll and equally surprising appearance in the doujin market.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 14:33   Link #1102
totoum
Gamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Mahou Showtime lists Ginga he Kickoff!! as carried by NHK BS Premium, NHK's pay-TV service. I wouldn't be surprised to discover it's not rated. I don't see any BS numbers on the Geocities site.
It re-airs on NHK general a few days later I think,or at least it used to since Atarashii was able to give me ratings a bit earlier

edit: looking at the official website it seems to air on nhk 4 days after nhk-bs
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 07:13   Link #1103
Katapan
俺様祭り
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: France
Age: 24
noitaminA ratings up to 12/07/05:

Wk. 1Wk. 2Wk. 3Wk. 4Wk. 5Wk. 6Wk. 7Wk. 8Wk. 9Wk. 10Wk. 11Wk. 12Avg
Tatami Galaxy - House of Five Leaves -1.51.61.72.12.51.51.82.82.02.32.32.52.05
Moyashimon (drama) - Shiki3.42.42.62.32.72.32.62.52.92.02.5-2.56
Kuragehime - Shiki2.3-2.23.12.82.71.82.41.62.52.12.72.38
Fractale - Hourou Musuko1.91.81.62.1-1.52.11.91.81.30.92.51.76
[C] - AnoHana1.62.53.92.82.52.92.22.02.42.93.2-2.63
Usagi Drop - NO. 61.22.42.12.62.12.5-2.31.62.41.62.52.11
UN-GO - Guilty Crown2.62.41.32.72.61.82.01.92.01.73.0-2.18
Thermae Romae - Guilty Crown2.12.61.8---------2.17
Black★Rock Shooter - Guilty Crown---1.82.32.11.71.42.02.41.5-1.90
Kids on the Slope - Tsuritama2.62.32.32.11.71.52.10.91.71.51.62.51.90
Moyashimon Returns - Natsuyuki Rendez-vous1.81.80

With such figures, it'll probably soon become as meaningless to follow the noitaminA ratings as it is for the other late-night timeslots. Lol.
__________________
Katapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 08:10   Link #1104
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
What makes this especially unnerving is that the original show routinely got ratings in the 4-5% range. Moyashimon remains the third highest-ranked show ever carried in the noitaminA block.

Now I don't want to get into another lengthy discussion about what's up with noitaminA; that's more appropriate material for the noitaminA thread itself. I do think we're seeing the long-term effects of the overall narrowing of the anime audience that happened over the past few years. Shows got strong ratings on noitaminA when they attracted viewers outside the core anime audience. Now it seems that even franchises that once drew these viewers in significant numbers fail to do so any more.

I do note that the manga chapters are not appearing at the pace they once did. So while anime series are considered advertisements for the manga, there's presumably also the reverse effect, where manga readers watch the animated versions of stories they enjoyed. Perhaps there were more of those people in 2007 than today.

I also wonder a bit about how the live-action version might have affected interest in this series. I didn't watch more than an episode of the live action version because I don't find the tendency to overacting and mugging in Japanese live-action comedies appealing. It scored about a 2.5% rating, or about half the original anime rating, though that was fairly average for noitaminA shows after the switch to the two-series format. Maybe the Japanese are just "microbed out"?
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 08:13   Link #1105
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 23
Or the timeslot is just bad now.

You not gonna get sky high rating in midnight airtime.
__________________
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 10:37   Link #1106
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
The timeslot for noitaminA hasn't changed in years. It's not the timeslot, it's the fact that the audience for noitaminA has collapsed.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 11:24   Link #1107
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The timeslot for noitaminA hasn't changed in years. It's not the timeslot, it's the fact that the audience for noitaminA has collapsed.
I think the ratings strongly suggest that the traditional audience for noitaminA has been lost, yes.

Strictly from a commercial standpoint, noitaminA might as well go "all-otaku" now.

From a commercial standpoint, the benefit of the original approach was "high ratings", while the benefit of an otaku-targeted approach is "high DVD/Blu-Ray sales". Well, if you can't get those high ratings any more, there's not much commercial reason to stick to (or go back to) the original approach. Commercial interests almost always take precedent in situations like this, at least in time.

So I think that within a year or less, noitaminA shows will not be much different from other late-night anime shows...
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 12:12   Link #1108
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
It's funny how this thread always seems to end up a NoitaminA discussion thread...

I'm not so sure it's such a slam-dunk that NoitaminA will fade into just another late-night slot, because when the block has overtly attempted to "sell out", it hasn't worked all that well. It might just be that it's a no-win situation - it will lose its core audience by trying to be overtly commercial, but traditional otaku will continue to ignore it.

Also, FWIW, Tsuritama ended up doing very well on BD/DVD sales (Sakamichi is still an unknown) and that's certainly far from a commercial series.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 12:36   Link #1109
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Actually I think the Otaku thing helped noitaminA pretty well. Fractale flopped but both Anohana and Guilty Crown did pretty well in terms of DVD/BD sales. If their tactics was to go for a more Otaku audience and if DVD/BDs are also important now, wouldn't you say that the Otaku-venture worked out fine? Not that I want them to turn into an Otaku block but. . .

Also I wouldn't consider Tsuritama getting 2000+ DVD/BD "doing very well" even if we considered it not a commercial success.
__________________
Traveler on Revenge / Ahelo Sigs / Saimoe Report! Signature by ganbaru
ahelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 12:38   Link #1110
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It's funny how this thread always seems to end up a NoitaminA discussion thread...
I blame Katapan myself!
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 14:02   Link #1111
Katapan
俺様祭り
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: France
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I blame Katapan myself!
I, um... blame the fact that noitaminA is about the only timeslot that's worth discussing its ratings for? Nah, there are slots like Uchuu Kyoudai and whatnot and I properly discuss them too! Heh.

Spoiler for noitaminA stuff we should definitely move to the other thread if anyone feels like replying to it!:
__________________
Katapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 15:35   Link #1112
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
Actually I think the Otaku thing helped noitaminA pretty well. Fractale flopped but both Anohana and Guilty Crown did pretty well in terms of DVD/BD sales. If their tactics was to go for a more Otaku audience and if DVD/BDs are also important now, wouldn't you say that the Otaku-venture worked out fine? Not that I want them to turn into an Otaku block but. . .

Also I wouldn't consider Tsuritama getting 2000+ DVD/BD "doing very well" even if we considered it not a commercial success.
Not to rehash an old argument, but I don't think AnoHana was a play for otaku. It was a NoitaminA series that otaku embraced.

And Tsuritama did 4454 BD/DVD, which is pretty frickin' good for a NoitaminA show about four guys.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 17:18   Link #1113
Undertaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.
AnoHana is aimed toward otaku in the beginning, it's an anime original project which means there is no casual fan anticipation compare to say Thermae Romae or Usagi Drop. On the other hand it was one of the highest anticipate series among otaku magazine and had little promo outside of that circle. In a sense it was like it's sister project HanaIro in the same season where the both series got picked up quickly by casual fans.

But marketing aside, it's hard to call a series to be aimed as casual audience when a ghost appears and is a central plot figure....
__________________
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 17:32   Link #1114
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Does that make Natsuyuki Rendezvous an otaku series, then?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 18:08   Link #1115
Undertaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.
But Natsuyuki Rendezvous does have a manga source material where casual audience read it. Anohana doesn't.

Here is a simple question for you, what is your view on HanaIro?
__________________
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 18:19   Link #1116
TJR
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
On the other hand it was one of the highest anticipate series among otaku magazine and had little promo outside of that circle.
I'd add that not every noitaminA series was originally intended for the block. Some were existing Aniplex projects that were moved onto the slot once they hooked up with Fuji TV.

Hourou Musuko was one such production (Aniplex concluded that the themes would be difficult to market toward typical anime audiences). There's a good chance that AnoHana was another one, seeing that the project grew out of a proposal (originally with slapstick erotic elements) by Mari Okada.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 19:12   Link #1117
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
But Natsuyuki Rendezvous does have a manga source material where casual audience read it. Anohana doesn't.

Here is a simple question for you, what is your view on HanaIro?
HanaIro is much more of a classic otaku premise than AnoHana. Effectively an all-girl cast in what looks from the outside like a girls being cute series, though of course there was more plot than the advertising wanted you to know. AnoHana was marketed based on its story right from the beginning - HanaIro was marketed based on its look.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 20:50   Link #1118
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the land down under ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
AnoHana was marketed based on its story right from the beginning.
That's what I remember too, right from one of the first PVs.

Also, I don't recall it being advertised in that many anime magazines - or at least, no one was posting images until later during its run, when it was clear that it had been a hit with the traditional anime crowd too.
__________________



You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.



"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes


karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 21:30   Link #1119
Undertaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
HanaIro is much more of a classic otaku premise than AnoHana. Effectively an all-girl cast in what looks from the outside like a girls being cute series, though of course there was more plot than the advertising wanted you to know. AnoHana was marketed based on its story right from the beginning - HanaIro was marketed based on its look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
That's what I remember too, right from one of the first PVs.

Also, I don't recall it being advertised in that many anime magazines - or at least, no one was posting images until later during its run, when it was clear that it had been a hit with the traditional anime crowd too.
I guess that's where our view differ than. The way I recalled was that HanaIro was structure to appeal to a more mass market with its multi-facet marketing strategy including manga series and co-operations/sponsors from Hot Spring tourist spots. That project was suppose to be part of an market effort for Kanazawa City tourism.


As for what Karice67 said, while that was true that the it was overshodowed at time during promotion, it had even less promotion outside of anime magazine in other medias. Original anime either market towards anime magazine or manga magazine. And if it was designed to appeal to mass market, then you set up a huge event to attract media. Anohana had zero of those compare to HanaIro.

All it had was a novel serialization on Da Vinci a month before airing and promotion posters on Saibu Railway's Chichibu City station where the anime staged. IMO, You just can't call a series to be designed toward casual viewer when there is little to no promotion to casual market with zero fan base.
__________________
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 22:17   Link #1120
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the land down under ^^
Question, Undertaker: were you in Japan at the time? I.e. around Feb-Apr 2011?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
I guess that's where our view differ than. The way I recalled was that HanaIro was structure to appeal to a more mass market with its multi-facet marketing strategy including manga series and co-operations/sponsors from Hot Spring tourist spots. That project was suppose to be part of an market effort for Kanazawa City tourism.

As for what Karice67 said, while that was true that the it was overshodowed at time during promotion, it had even less promotion outside of anime magazine in other medias. Original anime either market towards anime magazine or manga magazine. And if it was designed to appeal to mass market, then you set up a huge event to attract media. Anohana had zero of those compare to HanaIro.

All it had was a novel serialization on Da Vinci a month before airing and promotion posters on Saibu Railway's Chichibu City station where the anime staged. IMO, You just can't call a series to be designed toward casual viewer when there is little to no promotion to casual market with zero fan base.
Question 2: what is your concept of marketing to the mass market?

Because, what you've described above wrt HanaIro sounds to me like an effort to bring anime-related tourism to Kanazawa, i.e. they were trying to tap into the market for otaku and casual anime fans (and girls who like cute things, perhaps) going on anime pilgrimages.

How many non-anime customers they scored because of that is unknown, and I'm not even going to try guessing. However, that kind of promotion is, to me, not directed primarily at the mass market.


Let me refer you to these two pages: PV spots for AnoHana and HanaIro. You might notice that AnoHana had no less than FIVE 15 second TV spots, whilst all of HanaIro's PVs were 2 minutes long, i.e. they were definitely not for TV.

Whilst I don't have evidence for it, I suspect that the AnoHana TV spots were played on Fuji TV and the other broadcast stations during prime time in order to attract some of the J-drama and variety show audience.

That's not even looking at other forms of advertising, such as posters at bus stops (I saw some Cross Game ones when I was still in Japan, but I wasn't there for AnoHana. Of course, in CG's case, the Adachi and high school baseball factors were also very important), in commuter trains etc, which none of us overseas viewers would even know about unless someone decided to blog about them.
__________________



You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.



"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes



Last edited by karice67; 2012-07-06 at 22:58.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.