AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 38
10: Amazing... 3 7.50%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 9 22.50%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 9 22.50%
7 out of 10: Good... 5 12.50%
6 out of 10: Average... 7 17.50%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 3 7.50%
4 out of 10: Poor... 2 5.00%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-07-05, 20:31   Link #81
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
The entirety of the AGE System is made up by the AGE Device, AGE Builder, and Gundam AGE-1/2/3. That said, it ALL originated from the AGE Device, and as we saw in Generation 1, was necessary to even get the stored data into the AGE Builder at first. So it's likely more than just a PDA access key.
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 21:17   Link #82
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Wow they are really coming out of the woodwork this week. I can safely say I've never seen half the people posting in this thread in any other episode thread for this show before nor am I likely to see them again. My guess is 4chan really blew up on this episode and it's been attracting extra attention.

I'm ready for the next episode already, reading the thread for this weeks episode has honestly been pretty exhausting. The way this fandom just loves to beat a dead horse never ceases to amaze me even as I think I'm starting to get used to it. You could probably make entire specific topic threads over the things that people get excessively butthurt over when it comes to Gundam and I remember saying that during Gundam 00 as well. Still holds very true though with AGE...at least some weeks.

I'll say this, I kind of hope there aren't anymore female character deaths and Kio being naive if for no reason other than I don't have to witness what went on in the fandom this week again. It's a really toxic atmosphere and to be honest I'm a little embarassed and don't really want to be considered part of this fandom at the moment. I'm not some ragetard after all.
I'm afraid we haven't seen the last of that dastardly Hagoshod, Kaioshin. He's a cool guy, but once he gets butthurt about something he stays butthurt.

I agree with what you wrote, though honestly I don't think the Gundam fandom is really any exception. Negativity seems to be pretty thick in most online anime fandoms. There's actually quite a few threads on AnimeSuki I don't ever click on because I know they'll just annoy me.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 00:01   Link #83
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I don't get where you are getting these weird stories from. Secret Police? What the hell? It's a FACT that the Mars Sphere is hazardous, and that resources are at a premium. You may not agree with Ezelcant's military first policy, and neither do I, but there is NOTHING that suggests that there would be enough medicine to go around for everyone. And even if there was, it would only ease the pain, not cure it.
What you don't know how authoritarian dictatorships work?

Because that is what Ezelcant is, a dictator.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 00:41   Link #84
whx_epic
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I feel that the quality of Gundam Age has dropped significantly since Episode 35 Many things wont happen if not because of the necessity of the plot (Kio getting caught by Vegan, super easy infiltration by super pirates, etc...).
It feels like Zalam x Euba arc all over again, with OOC moments etc.
However, I will still give this anime a chance and watch it until the end(who knows maybe it will redeem itself after this ), and if we turn off a bit of our logic (hey it is being made by Level 5, what do you expect?), Gundam Age turns out to be quite enjoyable.
whx_epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 02:01   Link #85
Revolutionist
Puppet Master
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Behind You
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
What you don't know how authoritarian dictatorships work?

Because that is what Ezelcant is, a dictator.
I love how you deduced Ezelcant uses a Secret Police to instill fear on the Vagans from that one scene where his subordinate tells Kio, their POW, that they're watching him. Or that he willingly withholds medicine from his own people. It must be because he is evil and wants to see his own people suffer, not because it can be very expensive to produce and there's not enough of it...
__________________
I cannot give you back your homes, or restore your dead to life, but perhaps I can give you justice, in the name of our King. ~ Ned Stark
Revolutionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 02:32   Link #86
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
I love how you deduced Ezelcant uses a Secret Police to instill fear on the Vagans from that one scene where his subordinate tells Kio, their POW, that they're watching him. Or that he willingly withholds medicine from his own people. It must be because he is evil and wants to see his own people suffer, not because it can be very expensive to produce and there's not enough of it...
It's all about control but control is just an illusion.

Hence this war on Earth Sphere.

As far as we've seen for more than 80 years Ezelcant has been in control of Vegan without an improvement at all for the well being of its citizens.

One can say they are effectively brainwashed by Ezelcant's quasi-religious propaganda.

But I don't think Vegans are all that stupid. We've seen other colonies besides the Second Moon. There are certainly those who are getting tired of Ezelcant's empty promises.

What do think Vegans would do if they found out Ezelcant himself is sabotaging their chances on claiming Earth with his Social Darwinist experiment?

With his tests Ezelcant is weighing who is worthy of survival. Is it the Earthers and colonies or the Vegan nation?

Ezelcant's conversation with young Zeheart mean the Martian colonies are a powder keg waiting to blow.

To enforce order Ezelcant's regime needs propaganda machinery, unquestioned enforceable state power, and someone to lay the blame for all their problems.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 02:39   Link #87
Skye629
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
AGE is not great, after all it is intended to draw in newer audience (primarily younger, though I'm not too sure whether or not they're succeeding in Japan) through a basic subpar kid plot (though the generations idea was quite nice, pity they didn't/couldn't make full use of it due to time allotment) and lots of homages to spark interest in the other series

For me AGE is only good enough to hold me over until Unicorn Episodes 6 & 7 next year

As for the episode itself, only thing worthy of note was the Legilis debut
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 03:18   Link #88
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
After finally watching it, Kio handing over his data is really not something surprising. He simply made an emotional decision, a quick fix, so to speak. It's not limited to kids either. Adults can do it as well.

I also don't mind how easy it is for Asem to rescue Kio. I have always felt, and it has already been established, that the Vagans never went all out. Plus, in this case, they wanted to minimize the damage to their own colony. And with the new mobile suit, they probably felt they could still take care of the problem outside the colony.

If there's one thing I wish didn't happen, it's how Kio handle those Vagan suits. The visual was just too comical for me, and it ruined the atmosphere of Kio feeling sad for Lu's death.

Oh, and I have no complaint over Lu's death itself. It's always sad to think that a child would die, but if her character is meant to die, then I think she has played her part well. Mostly, I'm glad it's not the usual battle death.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 04:55   Link #89
TehSanity
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
I actually liked this episode quite a lot, and find it curious that it sparked a great deal of divided opinion among the fanbase.

As for Lu, you were shallow, but RIP nontheless. No child should ever deserve to die in reality or in fiction. Nor did she do anything wrong.
One thing for sure, Kio's experience on the Second Moon colony is going to leave him with a very human and pitiful impression of the Vagan, which is going to come into conflict with what Flit drilled into him before (Vagan are complete monsters, etc.).

Overall, I see a progression throughout the generations.
Flit was unfortunate to have his parents taken away by the Vagan, Yurin, and the pleasure of meeting the psychotic Desil which probably burned into him the impression that all Vagan are monsters.
Asemu once only knew about the Vagan's evils due to his father's influence. Until he met Zehart and he had the relevation that all Vagan might not be evil and psychotic like his father believes.
Kio also once shared to a degree Flit's view (from living with his grandpa) until of course, his experience living with the Vagan and meeting Lu.

The deal with Ezelcant... I initially expected another Crux Dogatie, but so far he seems to be a fair leader and only wishes the best for his people. With the limited resources available, most has to go to the war effort and little is left fo the civilians.
It would be nice for once, to have a very human villian with noble goals, but with perhaps the wrong methods. Then again, I doubt the Federation would be open for negotiation with a people that were supposed to not be alive and conveniently erased from existance.
However, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ezelcant turned out to be a dictator who is manipulating his people and feeding them lies.

I love how some people have already concluded that we have another Jesus and his no kill policy. It is entirely possible and I wouldn't like that personally. However, please keep in mind that Asemu and his crew did not try to cause any casualties either. Asemu could have easily destroyed any of those Vagan mobile suits chasing him, yet he kicked the one he blinded instead. As for Kio, the AGE-3 is still in its battle-damaged state and it is likely that any weapons still intact would have been stripped for the Vagan Gundam. That leaves only melee attacks to drive off any pursurers.

About the nature of the rescue, some people have deduced already that most of the Vagan forces are in the Earth Sphere. That would mean Vagan itself would be sparesly defended and the only forces available would be inexperienced guards and pilots-in-training. Far from forces that would be a match for Super Pirate Asemu.
With the Bisidian ship being able to cloak, they could easily spent a great deal of time monitering the colony and planning the rescue. The series did not state yet how much time Kio was on Vagan, could easily be weeks or more. Hence, the flawless rescue.

With Kio's relevation of the Vagan, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the ending was some kind of white peace or comprimise between the two factions. The Vagan might be genuinely trying to fight for a better life against a regime that left them for dead. Keep in mind the true evil was and might be the Federation government that left the Vagans in such a state in the first place.
TehSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 06:16   Link #90
Destined_Fate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: "Sacrifice one to appease the few."
Eh, it would be horrible if they gave Kio a no kill rule. I mean he doesn't even have the Hax or "I survived a Nuclear Explosion" that Kira has. It would be a huge leap if they gave him a no kill rule without effecting his fighting ability, which isn't the best, since he can't rely on "I'm a Super Coordinator!" to take up the slack or "Rape Eyes Mode".
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 07:38   Link #91
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
It's all about control but control is just an illusion.

Hence this war on Earth Sphere.

As far as we've seen for more than 80 years Ezelcant has been in control of Vegan without an improvement at all for the well being of its citizens.

One can say they are effectively brainwashed by Ezelcant's quasi-religious propaganda.

But I don't think Vegans are all that stupid. We've seen other colonies besides the Second Moon. There are certainly those who are getting tired of Ezelcant's empty promises.

What do think Vegans would do if they found out Ezelcant himself is sabotaging their chances on claiming Earth with his Social Darwinist experiment?

With his tests Ezelcant is weighing who is worthy of survival. Is it the Earthers and colonies or the Vegan nation?

Ezelcant's conversation with young Zeheart mean the Martian colonies are a powder keg waiting to blow.

To enforce order Ezelcant's regime needs propaganda machinery, unquestioned enforceable state power, and someone to lay the blame for all their problems.
You never answered my questions though. Where are you getting these weird stories from?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 10:36   Link #92
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
You never answered my questions though. Where are you getting these weird stories from?
The show's really not that complicated so unless we see it happen then I think the spectulation is a little too much. Ezcelant has spies yes but I don't think he has a police force (he doesn't need too. Blame everything on Earth and the people will follow him to death)

I mean when Kio is to be captured they literally dumbed him down despite gaining experience from previous battles and such.

Then for the rescue mission the Vagan's response is well...very poor. Yes they are in a remote area but surely they would have a door to keep outsiders from waltzing in.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 10:37   Link #93
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
You never answered my questions though. Where are you getting these weird stories from?
I watch the series, form an opinion on motivations.

That said Age has poor writing. Both sides actions are just too stupid to bear. No wonder why it's merchandise isn't selling. The TV series itself is the advertisement.


The closest approximation for Vegan would be North Korea. A isolated nation closed from outside, led by a cult of personality leader, scant resources, a military first policy, and propaganda against the rest of the world. Though added with a side of Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan's aggression against their neighbors with delusions of their nation's superiority and taking what they want.

War is after all just higher stakes robbery.

That said in the real world authoritarian dictators are blamed because of piss poor management and the means they do to maintain their regime.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 12:07   Link #94
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
But where has it actually been shown that he oppresses his own people? Cos I sure haven't seen it anywhere.

Where has it been shown that Ezelcant is as powerhungry as you say?

And where do you get the idea that he's a cruel dictator to the Vagans?

Cos I don't see any facts of this.


Where are the 100% undeniable facts that 100% proves things are as they say?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 14:23   Link #95
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
But where has it actually been shown that he oppresses his own people? Cos I sure haven't seen it anywhere.

Where has it been shown that Ezelcant is as powerhungry as you say?

And where do you get the idea that he's a cruel dictator to the Vagans?

Cos I don't see any facts of this.


Where are the 100% undeniable facts that 100% proves things are as they say?
Has there ever been a benevolent dictator?

It is not my fault you can't form your own intelligent opinion.

As an audience we are not to just accept what is on screen but to ask why the characters are doing this and that.

Flit's motivation is to defeat the Vegan threat decisively that nobody would experience what he did.

Asemu's motivation is to protect his family and to keep the war from escalating by denying both sides the EXA-DB.

Kio is a blank slate. He knows that what Ezelcant is doing is evil seeing the atrocities he's seen. First hand experience shows Vegans are people without hope. As such they lose their humanity. Kio doesn't know how to go about this yet.

Ezelcant promises utopia but brings hell to both Earthers and Vegans. Turning his people to suicidal fanatics and testing Earthers if they are worthy of survival. What he says and what he does are contradictory so don't take what he says at face value.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 14:27   Link #96
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
You're, um, still avoiding his questions. Because not once has the show shown him to be a cruel bastard to his people.
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 14:52   Link #97
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
You're, um, still avoiding his questions. Because not once has the show shown him to be a cruel bastard to his people.
Turning his own people to suicidal fanatics with a hint of brainwashing like Zeheart's second in command and Zeheart himself?

Delaying victory by playing his Social Darwinist games with Earthers?

Just look at the condition at the Second Moon. Most of the people are at poverty while Ezelcant has a palace with lavish food.

All their resources are funneled to the military rather than the civilian population.

Now if this was a normal war economy we should see at least some higher standard of living. But we aren't seeing it.

I could go on and on how Ezelcant's plan is hurting his own people.

Don't mind Dengar he just has me as a target because he made the wrong conclusions from what I said in the last thread making look an idiot.

History and current events aren't his strong points.

Heck he doesn't understand what an opinion is in this thread.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 16:13   Link #98
Revolutionist
Puppet Master
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Behind You
None of the things you are saying are facts. The show has not shown that Ezelcant brainwashes his troops, or that all the resources go to the military. You're just making stuff up, drawing comparisons with North Korea and shit like that which doesn't even make sense. How does Daz sacrificing himself to stop the Gundam mean that Ezelcant brainwashes his troops? You don't know hwat you're talking about. Any military instills in recruits the value of the team, and to put the mission and the safety of your buddies ahead of your own. The guy who jumps on top of a grenade to save his buddies doesn't do it ebcause he's been brainwashed into doing so. That's something you will never understand unless you join up.


Ezelcant hasn't shown to have any sort of god complex, nor is he claiming superiority over anybody. Remember what Zeheart said? "Ezelcant says X-Rounders are a step back in our evolution, that humans are returning to animals". His entire Plan is to get his people to Earth so that they don't have to go through what he and Dorene went through with their son, and what Deen went through with his sister, etc.

AGE is not overly complicated, in fact they're pretty straight forward as far as people's motivations and goals, there aren't hidden agendas or ulterior motives....
__________________
I cannot give you back your homes, or restore your dead to life, but perhaps I can give you justice, in the name of our King. ~ Ned Stark
Revolutionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 16:31   Link #99
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
How does Daz sacrificing himself to stop the Gundam mean that Ezelcant brainwashes his troops?
Daz? I didn't say Daz did I?

Medel Zant saw the same vision that Zeheart was given. A green field with mountains.

When Zeheart was willing to sacrifice himself to stop the Vegan station from falling on Earth he heard Ezelcant telling him not to die yet as he still has a use. Either a telepathic message or a subliminal program.

Going way back to Geera Zoi those operators are like zombies without regard for their own survival.

Quote:
Ezelcant hasn't shown to have any sort of god complex
He is giving chances for Earthers and colonists to win and survive. These tests are meant to not only share the suffering of despair that Vegan's call a daily life but to test if Earthers and colonists are worthy of survival.

Hence Ezelcant is a Social Darwinist. The weak die the strong survive.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 17:22   Link #100
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
^Don't state those things like they are facts. You obviously are reading into this a lot, which is fine in and of itself, everyone does that, myself included. Just don't state those as fact.

Unless you of course decide to answer my question and tell us the exact scene where he is being a social darwinist. Or a cruel dictator. Or doing any brainwashing of anyone.

Without confusing zealotry for "being brainwashed", of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Don't mind Dengar he just has me as a target because he made the wrong conclusions from what I said in the last thread making look an idiot.
First of all, I don't remember anything like that ever happening. I don't even know you, how can I possibly have a grudge? Second, I respectfully ask that you refrain from making this a personal matter, which it isn't.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weekly episode discussion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.