AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-07-08, 14:40   Link #101
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilHighDxD View Post
How about 180 or 90 turn? So GGO wouldn't not be animated? So sad cause I really want to Kirito with that face animated
Aren't you the one proposing the change? How are we supposed to know?
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 14:45   Link #102
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilHighDxD View Post
How about 180 or 90 turn? So GGO wouldn't not be animated? So sad cause I really want to Kirito with that face animated
You can turn all you want, Suguha is never gonna replace Asuna, so HAH

If SAO is a commercial success, we can very well see GGO and maybe Mother's Rosario released as OVAs.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 14:47   Link #103
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
You can turn all you want, Suguha is never gonna replace Asuna, so HAH

If SAO is a commercial success, we can very well see GGO and maybe Mother's Rosario released as OVAs.
A 1-cour (or maybe even 2 cour) S2 is also possible.
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 14:49   Link #104
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
Yea, but that would have to be Alicization, and I doubt they're going to do that before the novel has run its course, something that won't happen for awhile.

GGO doesn't have enough material to really sustain a full cour, and Rosario is definitely OAV length material
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 14:55   Link #105
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Yea, but that would have to be Alicization, and I doubt they're going to do that before the novel has run its course, something that won't happen for awhile.

GGO doesn't have enough material to really sustain a full cour, and Rosario is definitely OAV length material
Alicization could easily be S3.

Indeed. But doesn't GGO have too much material to be an OVA series? I suppose there should be enough material in a single cour if they were to animate both GGO and Rosario.
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 15:16   Link #106
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Alicization could easily be S3.

Indeed. But doesn't GGO have too much material to be an OVA series? I suppose there should be enough material in a single cour if they were to animate both GGO and Rosario.
Depends on how in-depth they go with the adaptation... I think GGO is stuck in that place where it may be too long for an OVA series to cover all the materials, but doesn't quite have enough to fill out a full cour either.

They definitely shouldn't animate Rosario as part of the same season as GGO though, it's two completely separate story.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 15:16   Link #107
Awrya
U mad?
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
GGO + Excaliber side story + Rosario would barely be enough for a 2 cour season, the author would have to think up ~2-4 episodes worth of original story (or publish more ALO side stories).

But yeah, with SAo's popularity I could easily imagine another season next year or the one after.

When Alicization arc is concluded, that alone would be enough for a S3.
__________________
Awrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 15:58   Link #108
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
GGO + Excaliber side story + Rosario would barely be enough for a 2 cour season, the author would have to think up ~2-4 episodes worth of original story (or publish more ALO side stories).

But yeah, with SAo's popularity I could easily imagine another season next year or the one after.

When Alicization arc is concluded, that alone would be enough for a S3.
Yeah, but like kyp275 pointed out, Rosario has no connection to GGO, so that wouldn't be the smartest move.

Those standalone side stories should be animated as an OVA series. I have no idea what the best thing for GGO would be, but I'm sure the studio and Kawahara will figure with something.

Yep, it'd most definitely require a 2 cour season.
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 16:36   Link #109
Xacual
The color of a Hero
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
It takes place after GGO and it shows Kirito using Excalibur which he got in Calibur. It also has a ton of Asuna character development.
__________________
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 16:53   Link #110
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
It takes place after GGO and it shows Kirito using Excalibur which he got in Calibur. It also has a ton of Asuna character development.
It has to be more than "it took place afterwards" to be fit into the same season. GGO is a self-contained story segment with its own world, issues, build-up, villain, and climax. Inserting Rosario right after it makes no sense story-wise or structure-wise, since there is no over-arching plot element that carries over from GGO into Rosario.

It'd be akin to taking season 1 of Full Metal Panic and stick on a couple episodes of FMP Fumoffu at the end.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 16:57   Link #111
Xacual
The color of a Hero
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Yes but I think you're forgetting that after ALO the story turns to just about the characters various adventures in GGO, real life and ALO stories. Just because it doesn't have anything to do with GGO specifically doesn't mean it's not about the point of the series which is VRMMOs.
__________________
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 17:13   Link #112
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
I know very well what happens after ALO, what I'm saying is that you can't just throw in a bunch of unrelated plotlines into the same season just because they belong in the same novel series, that's not how anime, or any TV/Movies work for that matter.

It is this same reason that they're adapting SAO/ALO in chronological order, because otherwise it would just create a trainwreck out of the pacing and flow of the story.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 17:35   Link #113
Awrya
U mad?
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
It has to be more than "it took place afterwards" to be fit into the same season. GGO is a self-contained story segment with its own world, issues, build-up, villain, and climax. Inserting Rosario right after it makes no sense story-wise or structure-wise, since there is no over-arching plot element that carries over from GGO into Rosario.

It'd be akin to taking season 1 of Full Metal Panic and stick on a couple episodes of FMP Fumoffu at the end.
Isn't it always like that, that after an arc finished a new one will start?
The best (and most recent) example I can think of is To Aru, with the introduction of Kazakiri starting at the end of S1, who then received further explanation at the end of S2. That didn't stop the series from being awesome.

If you want a connection between GGO and Rosario, first is Shion's end of trauma, which first made her play GGO. After overcoming her trauma, she can now start in ALO, where first Excaliber takes place, then Rosario.
Rosario has another connection with the past season (like To Aru), the medical version of NerveGear (MediCuboid I think?). It was born from the upload of 'The Seed' (which GGO is also created from) at the end of Vol. 4 and it was created by the assistant of Kayaba (another connection).

They could focus on how FullDive technology could have affected the world if it had been applied in a different field and how a VRMMO is is not just a game for some people, which is a consistent theme in all volumes.

Finally, SAO isn't an original anime, it is a light novel adapted into anime. While each volume may not have a connection with the previous one, each volume is important and advances the story as a whole.
If the anime studio doesn't follow the light novel, the result is something like ZnT, with a last season that partially contradicted with its previous seasons. Frankly, that would kill the popularity of SAO anime.
__________________
Awrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 18:11   Link #114
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
Isn't it always like that, that after an arc finished a new one will start?
It's one thing to start a new arc, it's another when the new "arc" you're starting lasts for all of one or two episodes and is of a completely different type of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
If you want a connection between GGO and Rosario, first is Shion's end of trauma, which first made her play GGO. After overcoming her trauma, she can now start in ALO, where first Excaliber takes place, then Rosario.
Rosario has another connection with the past season (like To Aru), the medical version of NerveGear (MediCuboid I think?). It was born from the upload of 'The Seed' (which GGO is also created from) at the end of Vol. 4 and it was created by the assistant of Kayaba (another connection).

They could focus on how FullDive technology could have affected the world if it had been applied in a different field and how a VRMMO is is not just a game for some people, which is a consistent theme in all volumes.
Now plan out the story episodes as you suggested, and this is how well the story flows in practice. First you'll have GGO, a rather grim world accompanied by a equally grim story setting that climax with a rather epic fight and touching redemption for Sinon and Kirito, and you follow that up with a episode of comedic jolly adventure by the whole gang to "get the l33t sword!" Filled with NPC flirting and giant manfreyathor? And then you make another hard right turn for a bittersweet story about Asuna and her struggle with her mother, and Yuki and her trial and tribulations, ending with the end of her journey and a bit of info about 3rd gen VR tech?

Can you piece that together? yes, but it is also a giant trainwreck of a season with an identity crisis filled with conflicting mood and no sense of direction as the story jumps all over the place. While this may work for fans of the novel, it's not going to work for people who aren't already familiar with the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
If the anime studio doesn't follow the light novel, the result is something like ZnT, with a last season that partially contradicted with its previous seasons. Frankly, that would kill the popularity of SAO anime.
I never said the anime should not follow the LN, all I'm saying is that GGO and Rosario should not be released together as a season, as they will work much better as separate OAV series.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 00:31   Link #115
Kikuichimonji
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: CA
Age: 23
Mothers Rosario could probably fit a 2-3 part ova release. As for GGO, it could be a 90 min. movie, but it might be a little rushed. I think a 13 episode release might actually work.

Spoiler for Phantom Bullet:

Last edited by Kikuichimonji; 2012-07-09 at 00:41.
Kikuichimonji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 01:47   Link #116
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Looking at the thread for episode 1, I'm starting to think this show is going to be the reverse Madoka -- right now everyone's predicting this is going to be a grimdark meathook series where only ten people will survive to the final floor, and if the next few episodes cover Aria and Red Nosed Reindeer, that'll only reinforce that impression. Then -- BAM! -- Kirito helps cute loli save her dragon. It'll be interesting to see the reactions when people realize the series is actually far on the optimistic side of the sliding scale of idealism vs. cynicism.
Utsuro no Hako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 04:54   Link #117
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Looking at the thread for episode 1, I'm starting to think this show is going to be the reverse Madoka -- right now everyone's predicting this is going to be a grimdark meathook series where only ten people will survive to the final floor, and if the next few episodes cover Aria and Red Nosed Reindeer, that'll only reinforce that impression. Then -- BAM! -- Kirito helps cute loli save her dragon. It'll be interesting to see the reactions when people realize the series is actually far on the optimistic side of the sliding scale of idealism vs. cynicism.
Indeed! I was surprised to see people were guessing that only some 100 or 50 players would survive the game this morning. Hah. They're in for a surprise or two. It may be enough for some people to begin to genuinely hate the series. :/

I can't wait to see how people will react to some of the more peaceful moments in the anime (Asuna cooking Kirito the meal, their married days, etc).
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 05:05   Link #118
Xacual
The color of a Hero
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Indeed! I was surprised to see people were guessing that only some 100 or 50 players would survive the game this morning. Hah. They're in for a surprise or two. It may be enough for some people to begin to genuinely hate the series. :/

I can't wait to see how people will react to some of the more peaceful moments in the anime (Asuna cooking Kirito the meal, their married days, etc).
Well that was basically Kayaba's plan. The final floor boss to be an epic one to one duel between him and Kirito with them being the last of the clearers that had remained. Of course that would still leave the thousands of players who refused to play or played extremely cautiously and slowly leveling up.
__________________
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 05:20   Link #119
com_gwp
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Indeed! I was surprised to see people were guessing that only some 100 or 50 players would survive the game this morning. Hah. They're in for a surprise or two. It may be enough for some people to begin to genuinely hate the series. :/

I can't wait to see how people will react to some of the more peaceful moments in the anime (Asuna cooking Kirito the meal, their married days, etc).
I don't quite see why people would hate it, since its a development that makes sense. Players will adapt to the world in time. Plus, by the end of the two years, SAO has already replaced the real world as their "true" reality for most of the players, and people would rather live on than fight.
Addressing that second point as well, the peaceful moments are suppose to be an exploration of this as well.

Well, unless they're looking for tragedy much in the same way as fate/zero and madoka. I gotta agree with ya there, since people like that are everywhere (I guess having Yuki Kajiura on board isn't helping much with that misplaced notion )

I've gotta admit, its somewhat sadistically fun to watch people come up with all these wild theories and speculation while we sit here knowing what happened.
com_gwp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 06:04   Link #120
maelstormCaT
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Indeed! I was surprised to see people were guessing that only some 100 or 50 players would survive the game this morning. Hah. They're in for a surprise or two. It may be enough for some people to begin to genuinely hate the series. :/

I can't wait to see how people will react to some of the more peaceful moments in the anime (Asuna cooking Kirito the meal, their married days, etc).
Heheh. The early people in the 1st ep thread is confused at the Asuna cooking for Kirito scene in the opening. Call me evil, but I enjoy watching those people squirm while I know all the answers.
MWAHAHAHA!
maelstormCaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.