AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-09, 02:00   Link #41
Lukeman1884

So how much knowledge of japanese language/culture will we need to know to get the jokes? Because the opinion of the only group subbing this is "If you don’t speak Japanese, you probably won’t enjoy this show. If you somehow do enjoy this show, you are probably lying to yourself because you like the girls."
Lukeman1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 02:05   Link #42
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Didn't get everything at first but there's still the breaking the 4th wall and some references like the political reference at the end I got.

And it's fun seeing cute girls get all into "serious business" mode over really trivial stuff.
Old 2012-07-09, 03:33   Link #43
gecd
Cah Gunungkidul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeman1884 View Post
So how much knowledge of japanese language/culture will we need to know to get the jokes? Because the opinion of the only group subbing this is "If you don’t speak Japanese, you probably won’t enjoy this show. If you somehow do enjoy this show, you are probably lying to yourself because you like the girls."
maybe N2 or n1
or maybe no problem if you read every news about japan

0% alcohol, 80% ginger syrup, 10% love, 10% GALAU!!
gecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 03:42   Link #44
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Wait, Kumeta Kouji? You mean the mangaka of SZS Kumeta Kouji?! I'm so watching it.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 03:48   Link #45
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeman1884 View Post
"If you don’t speak Japanese, you probably won’t enjoy this show. If you somehow do enjoy this show, you are probably lying to yourself because you like the girls."
But I don't lie to myself. I like the girls. (Cow Pyjamas! ) Which is why "This show contains unobtrusive dialogue so you can admire the cuteness of the girls" resonated.

I like the pacing of the show, too. So even if I don't get something, it'll be over quickly. I loved the dog-kanji gig that ended in a new kanji for "pet deprivation syndrome".

Also, the things I don't get, I may get later. Or maybe never, but that won't really matter. (An example of what I mean: One of the first comedies I watched was Minami Ke. There's a sketch where Kanna hangs Chiaki into the window as a teru teru bozu. When I first saw that, it was odd. Years later I rewatched it, got it, and found it hilarious.) The point? If you don't challenge yourself you won't learn.

It's the cute-appeal on the surface + learning potential if you wish to go deeper that made this show one of my most anticipated this season (and I'm forever grateful to the fansubbers for doing it). I'd have watched it in Japanese if I would have had to (and my Japanese is attrocious).

I'll definitely follow the thread in the hope that some things get explained (like Dormeur's very helpful and interesting explanations about the give-us-back thingie [was especially puzzled about the technology]).
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 04:47   Link #46
CWW
Lurker

Well I for one didn't know there were so many variances of lolita, though some of them are probably puns and/or not literal translations.

I like how their choice of casual clothes depict their personalities. Well, maybe not Gan and Kukuru (seriously what is up with these names?). Those were a little surprising.

Last edited by CWW; 2012-07-09 at 06:20.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 05:52   Link #47
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

That was pretty funny but I think this is something that I'm going to get old of fast.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 06:20   Link #48
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debeki View Post
*hears traditional japanese intrument*

okay, whatevs...

*7 seconds later*

*bass and spitting verses*

oh fuck me this is amazing
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 06:59   Link #49
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Oddly, the first thing that caught my attention in this episode was... that highly detailed tank in the OP. I got stuck trying to figure out what the hell it was, which was answered by a quick google later..

[A Mitsubishi Type 61 Main Battle Tank]

Getting hit by a 4-wall breaking piracy/streaming joke within the first few minutes of the episode though... ouch Also, I do approve of sexy women wearing "casual clothing"-

*SHOT*

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 07:54   Link #50
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

It was nice, though I'd be damned for watching gg subs.

The kanji joke made me laugh. I should hang myself.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 08:50   Link #51
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Oddly, the first thing that caught my attention in this episode was... that highly detailed tank in the OP. I got stuck trying to figure out what the hell it was, which was answered by a quick google later..

[A Mitsubishi Type 61 Main Battle Tank]
I figured they were getting an early dig in at Girls und Panzers.

Quote:
Getting hit by a 4-wall breaking piracy/streaming joke within the first few minutes of the episode though... ouch Also, I do approve of sexy women wearing "casual clothing"-

*SHOT*
I wouldn't be pirating the show if they'd sold streaming rights to Crunchyroll.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 09:03   Link #52
Dop
Mmmm....

I've been eagerly awaiting this one, and while I'd been a bit doubtful that anyone but Shinbo could do justice to Kumeta's material, I think JC Staff did a good job here.

You've got to love a show that takes a wrecking ball to the fourth wall right from the start.

I suspect that as with quite a few bits of Zetsubou Sensei there's a lot of nuance that's lost if you don't understand the Japanese, and probably some that's lost if you're not au fait with Japanese politics.

Glad to see it getting subbed as I'd feared it would be 'too Japanese' and not exciting enough for most fansubbers.

One more thing. Look familiar?
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 13:14   Link #53
whx_epic

Can anybody explain the 'tissue' joke here?
I am using gg subs and this is a part where i dont really get the joke.
Thanks in advance.
whx_epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 13:18   Link #54
lansglenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
*hears traditional japanese intrument*

okay, whatevs...

*7 seconds later*

*bass and spitting verses*

oh fuck me this is amazing
Wow, first 30 seconds is so badass 0_0
Old 2012-07-09, 13:40   Link #55
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by whx_epic View Post
Can anybody explain the 'tissue' joke here?
I am using gg subs and this is a part where i dont really get the joke.
Thanks in advance.
You have to look at the word before "tissue":

Persisten tissues
The Tibe tissue
She's go tissues
An urgen tissue
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 15:01   Link #56
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Bizarre. No idea what is going on, but on reading gg's tl note page after watching some of the ep and reading the manga ahead of time I found myself giggling. And what I could follow I found myself roaring with laughter - totally my sense of humor. This is excellent!

But I wonder if it indeed is too opaque for most non-Japanese viewers?

Fie on it! I'll give it my best to watch to the end! Just ... because!

*shakes fist at some random person or thing in a random direction in defiance of ... well ... something or other*

BTW - the ED is crazy. I think I really like it.

Last edited by Flower; 2012-07-09 at 15:15.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 15:33   Link #57
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Just watched the first episode and... I was skeptical since it sort of reminds me of Lucky Star (the conversation aspect), but this show really shows promise. Despite not being able to comprehend and keep up with most of the girl talk most of the time, the scenes and the conversations were a blast to listen too.

Shouting "Give it back" to a stormy sea...weird but really unique, I'm really liking where this is going. I'm going to give this a shot, and as long as the interactions keeps getting creative, funny and neat, then we've got a great show on our hands. Can't wait to see where this goes, and the OP and ED song were catchy and cute as sin.
Old 2012-07-09, 16:15   Link #58
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Watched the first ep. 2-3 minutes in, and that wall already got broken lol. I had a few laughs here and there.

ED, however, is infectious.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 16:21   Link #59
Zeross

i used all my phone batterie listening to this ending on endlessyoutube today =D
Zeross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 16:22   Link #60
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
...ED, however, is infectious.
Worse than infectious. It's like the Black Death for me ... although in a good kinda way I spose....

Tags
comedy, shounen