AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 02
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 36 19.78%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 49 26.92%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 43 23.63%
7 out of 10: Good... 32 17.58%
6 out of 10: Average... 16 8.79%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 0.55%
4 out of 10: Poor... 2 1.10%
3 out of 10: Bad... 1 0.55%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.10%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-07-15, 09:20   Link #281
Methias
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
I think the beater part was rather justified. They expect the beta testers to be an absolute guide to all the players which includes those with first time MMORPG experience, and unfortunately 2000 people died. Of course they're going to blame the beta testers that did not help.

I think it was not that rushed, though I wished the boss fight should be stretched a little bit more with more fight scenes and probably a little bit more emphasis on the sword skills they were using, I mean a part of people playing the game is to use those skills right? Generally, I think they need to make way for the main story arc thus the rush, and there are still side stories to cover.
Methias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 09:21   Link #282
Irisu
フフリ
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Diabel was a beta tester too yes? So why exactly did he not notice the change in the boss' weapon too like Kirito did? I'd have a hard time believing it's because he was never able to get past the first floor, so the only reasonable conclusion I could come to was that he intended to sacrifice himself from the beginning.
Probably because he was either too desperate in getting the last hit, or didn't participate the first floor boss battle during beta test.
Irisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 09:45   Link #283
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
My guess, depression and feeling of being inferior. They are all in a dangerous situation. The people who knows more has the highest chance of survival. Basically, newbies will feel as if its unfair on their side. Its like " a beater knows how to play the game while we newbies are just getting to know the game".

If I were a newbie I'll grab the chance to join a party with a beater but keep on guard if your purpose in the party is as bait.
Except the beta testers don't want to reveal themselves because of all the prejudice going around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
That makes sense for those who couldn't accept the situation their were in, but the other that did paln on climbing the tower, should be more mindful with such a high casualty.
Old habits die hard. It still looks like a game. They had difficulties changing their mindsets.



Quote:
I get your reasoning, but this can't be helped. It's not as beta-testers themselves knew the game was going to be a death trap. Considering that for a month that nobody was able to even find the Boss floor, should indicted that the beta-testers don't know that much more about the game than the noobs.
The problem with getting to the boss room is that there are very few players even trying (most people are too afraid to leave Starting City), and that those who do try are either highly cautious, which slows them down a lot, or joined the 2000 dead, because SAO has become that sort of game.

Compounding the problem is that healing items are few and weak for the first few floors.

Quote:
While the guidebook may not state every trick in the game, it at least the gives the basics for survival and advancement for everybody. From there everyone can move as they see fit, it's far better than nothing. I mean the beta-testers when they first started the game, before it went official didn't even have that. Besides regardless who kills the Boss all players get one step closer to leaving SAO, so benefit for all involved in the end. I think that's most important thing here IMO.
Kibaou's butthurt because, even with the guidebook, wherever he goes, beta testers have gone before (in the real game, I mean). Also, he's an asshole and an idiot. That can't be stressed enough. He, and others like him, are a big reason Kirito was in such a hurry to level up. He wanted to be able to defend himself if it came to it.

In the side-story, the guidebook was actually the work of one beta tester. Well, she exchanged info with other testers, but she compiled and published the book (and sold the early edition to testers while giving away the definite edition...). She also personally checked every information in there to see if it was still true in the real game.

The info on the boss was clearly labeled as having come from the beta test. Which caused a stir when it turned out to be inaccurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Pardon my out-of-place second post. I meant to put the following with my previous one but I accidentally hit the "post reply" button and I figured this thread moves too quickly for post editing to be noticed very well. (EDIT: Oops, I suppose not. Well I guess it's not a double post so it should be alright.)

Just a few thoughts on some things this episode:

Diabel was a beta tester too yes? So why exactly did he not notice the change in the boss' weapon too like Kirito did? I'd have a hard time believing it's because he was never able to get past the first floor, so the only reasonable conclusion I could come to was that he intended to sacrifice himself from the beginning.
Not all testers participated in every boss fight. He may not have gotten in the first one.

More importantly, it happened very fast. He was already committed, expecting a certain attack, but got another, which, alas, was the first hit of a combo. Which killed him. He just didn't have time to switch gears.


Quote:
Kirito is also a "cheater" as well as a beta tester. So what specifically does that imply?
Nothing, really. It's just Kibaou being an asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I don't see why anyone would purposely die just to give others a morale boost/rallying point. Not when there's 100 levels and they're still on level 1.
He wasn't planning on dying, but one of the goals was to boost morale. To show the thousands still in starting city that it was possible to progress. Because they need more players, plain and simple. They didn't even have a full raiding group.



Quote:
A lot of players in MMOs consider those with beta experience, who in turn use said experience to clear the real game more easily or quickly, to have cheated for all intents and purposes. Especially in a game like this, where there's real life consequences, and a limited supply of items and experience.

That being said, the other players need to just shut the hell up. The beta-testers are risking their lives by going it solo, while they can group up and remove 95% of the risk. Sure, it's slower and they risk not getting as many levels or items, but they also won't die. Don't try to be a hero when you aren't willing to risk anything.
It's not like beta testers can't party. But yeah, the reward/risk ratio was in going first is very low.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 09:57   Link #284
Leon_Lelouch
ミシャだけ
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: below the sky, inside the time
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Just a few thoughts on some things this episode:

Diabel was a beta tester too yes? So why exactly did he not notice the change in the boss' weapon too like Kirito did? I'd have a hard time believing it's because he was never able to get past the first floor, so the only reasonable conclusion I could come to was that he intended to sacrifice himself from the beginning.

Kirito is also a "cheater" as well as a beta tester. So what specifically does that imply? As far as I saw, all he explained was that he managed to get the farthest in the beta out of everybody else who played it. I don't know if that's an abnormal thing for a beta tester who doesn't tamper with the game's coding, considering I'm not an MMORPG buff, but surely there's a chance Kirito just got there though pure skill too no?
nah, it's not that he wanted to sacrifice himself, it's just like how Kirito said that there are actually some beta testers that were still in a low level, so it means that Kayaba actually changed the pattern of the boss just like how he changed the map of the dungeon, and it could be that Diabel didn't know about such weapon as he's maybe one of the low level beta tester while Kirito knew it because he ever saw it in the higher floor

kirito being called a cheater just simply because of jealousy, usual human's personality seeing someone higher than themselves lol
Leon_Lelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 10:18   Link #285
Eratas123
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
I wouldn't be surprised is spikey over there started PKing or something. Anyway, wouldn't the Beater thing stop after the first 10 floors? Level 8 was one of the highest levels reached, so if people still complain about the Beater's then they're just being ridiculous.
__________________
Eratas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 10:22   Link #286
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Diabel was a beta tester too yes? So why exactly did he not notice the change in the boss' weapon too like Kirito did? I'd have a hard time believing it's because he was never able to get past the first floor, so the only reasonable conclusion I could come to was that he intended to sacrifice himself from the beginning.
Diabel was already rushing in for the attack and wasn't paying attention to Illfang's weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
I get your reasoning, but this can't be helped. It's not as beta-testers themselves knew the game was going to be a death trap. Considering that for a month that nobody was able to even find the Boss floor, should indicted that the beta-testers don't know that much more about the game than the noobs.
Most of that month was spent leveling up and completing quests for better weapons. Searching for the boss didn't become an issue until they reached the dungeon (the books never specify, but I'd assume the dungeons are one area completely redesigned after the beta).

One thing beta testers could've done is stick around to show the newbs how SAO works -- even an MMO vet like Klein needed help to learn the fighting engine. Instead they ran off to complete the best quests so they could have better equipment and level up faster. To the newbs stuck trying to figure out basic sword skills, that looks like the beta testers are getting an unfair advantage and leaving them to sink-or-swim.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 10:49   Link #287
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
The second episode of Hype Art Online was pretty interesting if not quite what I expected. It's obvious a lot has happened since the game started and everyone that's still alive is a little further ahead, especially so the beta testers, but the guy that interrupts Diabel's speech seems to think that people like Kirito stole all the good experience and loot at the expense of the non-beta testers and that they should pay for it since they basically abandoned them to die when they could have partied up and lead them to a better position.

Kirito seems pretty regretful about his actions (at least initally), but that guy expecting them to basically face a lynching mob and give up all they worked to earn (they still had to fight for it) seems way to extreme. People like that are dangerous in these types of survival scenarios because even though they might have a point their attempts to unrelentingly purge and redistribute also wastes valuable human resources. Yes I am making a slight Stalinist comparison here.

The conversation with Asuna was the slow part of the episode and her whole presence raises so many questions. How can someone be hungry in a virtual world? How does eating virtual food satiate that hunger? How is she so much quicker on the attack than others? Is it because of her stats? Builds? Class? Her own instincts? If so how? What made her choose to party up with Kirito? What made Kirito take such a shining to her and decide to party up with her? The episode doesn't do much to address any of these nagging questions, but I hope to have at least some of them explained to me later.

The boss fight definitely felt like the standard MMORPG boss fight tends to go albeit far less grindy. The twist that the Kobold boss has been buffed since the beta version complicates things by killing that Diabel guy. What a waste of a great voice actor in Nobuyuki Hiyama and what sad music for a guy we barely knew. Oh well as expected Kirito and Asuna team up to beat the boss who seems to be able to break the chain of attack at random (am I thinking about this too hard in the context of MMO fighting mechanics?), but what I wasn't expecting was the whole beater thing being a portmanteau of Beta and Cheater. The Japanese sure love their portmanteau's.

Also what I wasn't expecting was Kirito to basically go "check it out I'm actually a dick! Like my awesome new item, here I'll show it off right in front of you!". I'm not exactly sure what revealing all that was supposed to accomplish or if he just lost it, but it was a bit out of the blue to say the least. Also now that I think of it the abrupt switch to Asuna being all ditzy with Kirito as they walked away after such a tense situation didn't exactly paint either of them in a very positive light. I guess they really truly do not think all that much of the other players or their situation. Might have a group of anti-heroes on our hand at this rate.

Pretty good followup, but I still have a lot of questions lingering over the way the world is supposed to work and what the deal with some of our characters personalities and reasonings are, but there's still plenty of time to address that.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 11:04   Link #288
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
How can someone be hungry in a virtual world? How does eating virtual food satiate that hunger?
It's part of SAO's game mechanic. The players will feel hunger if they do not consume food items periodically, and while they won't starve if they don't eat, they'll have to deal with a constant feel of hunger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
How is she so much quicker on the attack than others? Is it because of her stats? Builds? Class? Her own instincts? If so how? What made her choose to party up with Kirito? What made Kirito take such a shining to her and decide to party up with her? The episode doesn't do much to address any of these nagging questions, but I hope to have at least some of them explained to me later.
She only has that one attack actually, since that's all she grinded with since the beginning of the game. As for why the partied up... it's pretty simple really, because they were the only two left, being loners and all, and you really don't want to tackle a boss without being in a party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Also what I wasn't expecting was Kirito to basically go "check it out I'm actually a dick! Like my awesome new item, here I'll show it off right in front of you!". I'm not exactly sure what revealing all that was supposed to accomplish or if he just lost it, but it was a bit out of the blue to say the least.
It was pretty obvious to me he was trying to make himself out to the bad guy so that other beta testers wouldn't be targeted. It was a bit more complicated in the original story, but it's the same idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Also now that I think of it the abrupt switch to Asuna being all ditzy with Kirito as they walked away after such a tense situation didn't exactly paint either of them in a very positive light.
Not sure if you know, but Asuna is a complete and total noob when it comes to anything other than cellphone games, hence why she doesn't even know the basics of the game, and was strictly a one trick pony at that point.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 11:06   Link #289
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I'm not exactly sure what revealing all that was supposed to accomplish or if he just lost it, but it was a bit out of the blue to say the least. Also now that I think of it the abrupt switch to Asuna being all ditzy with Kirito as they walked away after such a tense situation didn't exactly paint either of them in a very positive light. I guess they really truly do not think all that much of the other players or their situation. Might have a group of anti-heroes on our hand at this rate.
Kirito made himself out to be much worse than beta testers, so as to prevent other plays from going on a witch hunt for beta testers because of the knowledge and experience they possess. And that's why he called himself a 'beater'; he basically became a scapegoat for their hatred.

I don't see how the Asuna being ditzy with her Kirito after the battle doesn't paint them in a very positive light; were they supposed to be distressed and distraught after the events that had just transpired? Kirito did what he did for the best of the players.
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 11:10   Link #290
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised is spikey over there started PKing or something. Anyway, wouldn't the Beater thing stop after the first 10 floors? Level 8 was one of the highest levels reached, so if people still complain about the Beater's then they're just being ridiculous.
Somehow I doubt it will end there. After all even after the first 10 floors the knowledge and experience that allowed the beta testers to get ahead should create a gap that isn't going to easily close. Even if the beta testers have to play it the same as everyone else they are going to be at a further point when they do it. Of course after those first 10 floors the only thing the beta testers have is experience they cashed in on from months earlier. But once people pick out a group to hate they really don't want to let go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
The conversation with Asuna was the slow part of the episode and her whole presence raises so many questions. How can someone be hungry in a virtual world? How does eating virtual food satiate that hunger? How is she so much quicker on the attack than others? Is it because of her stats? Builds? Class? Her own instincts? If so how? What made her choose to party up with Kirito? What made Kirito take such a shining to her and decide to party up with her? The episode doesn't do much to address any of these nagging questions, but I hope to have at least some of them explained to me later.
I'm pretty sure Kirito even said in the first episode that eating that food tricks your body into thinking you're not hungry. So based on that would think the game can trick you into thinking you are hungry to make a more real environment. If it can create taste then messing with your hunger should also be possible. In terms of partnering up I think it was simply a matter of convenience. Going into a boss battle solo is seriously risky and they have their lives on the line. There was literally no one else for them to turn to and at least for Asuna it had the option of being a temporary alliance that could be broken off right after. No long term commitment on either side. Maybe for Kirito it was also just avoiding the stigma of saying "hey I have no friends at all ." Might also have tipped him off as being a beta tester that instead of having friends he leveled up with he's in this town alone.

Quote:
Also what I wasn't expecting was Kirito to basically go "check it out I'm actually a dick! Like my awesome new item, here I'll show it off right in front of you!". I'm not exactly sure what revealing all that was supposed to accomplish or if he just lost it, but it was a bit out of the blue to say the least. Also now that I think of it the abrupt switch to Asuna being all ditzy with Kirito as they walked away after such a tense situation didn't exactly paint either of them in a very positive light. I guess they really truly do not think all that much of the other players or their situation. Might have a group of anti-heroes on our hand at this rate.
I thought his reaction was pretty predictable. Well I wasn't sure exactly what he was going to do, but it made sense once he got started. Seemed to be mostly avoiding the group self-destructing. In order to climb these people need to rely on each other since like he told Asuna at the end there is a limit for what a person can do solo. If everyone gets caught up in hating beta testers and suspecting each other they are just going to get killed. He becomes a common source of hate and everyone unites instead of falling apart.

With Asuna thought it was just a funny realization of something that'd been staring her in the face the whole time. Quickly went back to relative seriousness in asking what Kirito was going to do and then the episode ended. Will definitely need some more episodes to get a full picture of her personality though this episode was a good start.
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 11:35   Link #291
arkxkra
全力全開
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Non-management 97th world
can't get enough.
__________________
arkxkra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 11:47   Link #292
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
The conversation with Asuna was the slow part of the episode and her whole presence raises so many questions. How can someone be hungry in a virtual world? How does eating virtual food satiate that hunger?
Think of it as additional motivation -- if the game didn't make you feel hungry, you could just sit in the starting city while other people clear the game for you. But if you have to buy food to get rid of the feeling of being hungry, you have to do something to earn gold.

Quote:
If so how? What made her choose to party up with Kirito? What made Kirito take such a shining to her and decide to party up with her?
Diabel said everyone should party up and they're the two losers with no friends.

Quote:
The boss fight definitely felt like the standard MMORPG boss fight tends to go albeit far less grindy.
The anime skipped most of the fight -- in the mission briefing, Diabel said the boss had four HP bars, but the fight scene jumps from everyone rushing into the dungeon to Illfang being down to one bar. In the story there's more grinding involved:

Spoiler for Battle strategy:


Quote:
Oh well as expected Kirito and Asuna team up to beat the boss who seems to be able to break the chain of attack at random (am I thinking about this too hard in the context of MMO fighting mechanics?)
No, attack chains are part of the fighting mechanics, though I'm not sure they'll ever be explained in the show.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 11:48   Link #293
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
How is she so much quicker on the attack than others? Is it because of her stats? Builds? Class? Her own instincts?
Natural ability, and the fact that her weapon's a speed type (a rapier). Plus, that's what she's trained.

Quote:
If so how? What made her choose to party up with Kirito? What made Kirito take such a shining to her and decide to party up with her? The episode doesn't do much to address any of these nagging questions, but I hope to have at least some of them explained to me later.
In the novel, they'd met before, but it wasn't that important. Really, they only partied together because they were the leftovers. There's a limit on the number of parties who can enter a boss room, but I don't remember if it mattered there. (And a 6-man limit on the number of players in a party.)

Quote:
The boss fight definitely felt like the standard MMORPG boss fight tends to go albeit far less grindy. The twist that the Kobold boss has been buffed since the beta version complicates things by killing that Diabel guy. What a waste of a great voice actor in Nobuyuki Hiyama and what sad music for a guy we barely knew. Oh well as expected Kirito and Asuna team up to beat the boss who seems to be able to break the chain of attack at random (am I thinking about this too hard in the context of MMO fighting mechanics?),
It wasn't quite like that in the story. It was every bit as grindy as you'd expect, and Kirito outed himself by showing knowledge of the attack patterns, which weren't really breakable. You just had to know when to pull back and stuff.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 11:59   Link #294
Otani-kun
Beta Tester
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to Otani-kun
There's just no pleasing the LN readers, huh?

Enjoying it immensely as an anime-only viewer so far, I might get started on the LN somewhere along the line to see what they changed and left out. I'm glad I didnt read it beforehand, otherwise I'd spend my time complaining like the rest about all the things they did wrong rather than what they did right.
Otani-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 12:05   Link #295
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
I'm surprised by people not understanding why people need to eat. The game has an interface that's directly wired into their brains. The body's actual senses are numbed, and all sensory input comes from the game. Is it that weird that the game can give you a sense of hunger? And that eating in-game food makes that feeling go away?

Also, the problem with Kirito being a beta tester isn't the fact that he's a beta tester. It's the fact that "He did nothing to stop those 2000 deaths.". Whether this is rational or not is an entirely different matter, but in a state of fear and helplessness, the human mind has a tendency to make up stuff to compensate for lack of information. It will do -anything it can- to alleviate feelings of frustration. It's called jumping to conclusions.

Last edited by Dengar; 2012-07-15 at 13:45.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 12:10   Link #296
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Summoner's Rift
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Ep2 continued on a good pace. Asuna arriving is more than welcome. Reasonable battle for an early episode. Hate-mongering and butthurt newbies left me in stitches for almost the entire episode. Are people so quickly assuming beta testers are able to get out of this mess so much faster based on the limited experience they had? If they did, I seriously doubt beta testers would have taken that long to get off of merely the first floor when there's 100 to get through.

Frankly, I like Kirito. He's a mix of social akwardness along with patience and rationale. While some may wonder why he pulled what he did at the end of this ep, it made sense. But I don't think the guy did it for purely altruistic reasons, either. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I honestly think Kirito has a considerable lack of trust for people in general. The fact that in one month, he had no one to tag along with until a fluke meeting with Asuna suggests it is rather likely. And frankly, if people are quickly going to turn judgemental on the person who saved their hides, why should he be trusting of them? I'd like to think Kirito took the stance he did to also send a message that he is not willing to be shoved around, treated like crap or labelled like people attempted to label him. Shows he has a spine and that he is a protagonist worth following. Kudos to him.

I'm more intrigued by what Asuna's true nature is. She's clearly not stupid - she couldn't be if she was the only person capable of backing up Kirito. I get the feeling she has her own degree of lacking trust in other players but that Kirito left an impression on her to believe in him but that she wasn't able to do the same to him yet - although he clearly does give a damn about her since Kirito had the decency to tell Asuna to avoid playing alone. But yeah, the fact the main characters aren't super-confident or social but have other forms of positive qualities is making the two believable. It's probably the most appealing aspect of this show for me thus far.
__________________
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 12:39   Link #297
Hmm....
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
If you ever played any MUD type RPG, those games usually have hunger and fatigue guage you have to worry about. Sleeping and eating in RPG game is nothing new rather it's relic from old time RPG game (since modern mainstream game don't seem to give a shit about that).

From my understanding, Asuna attack is not any quicker than other player. It's her intial motion that start the skill that is lightning-fast which is due to her natural good reflex. Think of those Korean pro starcraft player's godly apm.

Why did they call Kirito cheater ? If you ever play multiplayer game. An FPS for example, if someone got usuual good score on top of scoreboard, I'm sure one or more people will start shouting "OMG HAXOR !!!!1!!11"
__________________
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 12:50   Link #298
HandofFate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
That's right. I think he did; he was just that desperate to get the final hit on the boss, so as to make sure that he gets the item the boss drops. So basically, it was his greed that killed him.

.
It seemed he rushed into it and didn't even consider the change in weapons was different form the beta.
I think even if he did take note of it, I doubt the outcome of it wouldn't have been different.

In the novel, Kirito says that the Katana-style the boss was using was a style seen on mobs on a much higher tower level.

And that it isn't even a style that players could use unlike the Tulwar or whatever the boss was suppose to bring out. Since it was a style every player can use, they would already be able to expect what attacks will happen.

But since it was a style no player can use or seen before, they wouldn't be able to figure out the patterns at first sight.

Kirito knew the patterns because he got his ass handed to him over and over against the generic regular mobs on the higher level till he memorized the patterns himself through getting hit by it so many times in beta. and that was the only reason why he was able to fight it.
__________________
...
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 13:02   Link #299
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Ep2 continued on a good pace. Asuna arriving is more than welcome. Reasonable battle for an early episode. Hate-mongering and butthurt newbies left me in stitches for almost the entire episode. Are people so quickly assuming beta testers are able to get out of this mess so much faster based on the limited experience they had? If they did, I seriously doubt beta testers would have taken that long to get off of merely the first floor when there's 100 to get through.

Frankly, I like Kirito. He's a mix of social akwardness along with patience and rationale. While some may wonder why he pulled what he did at the end of this ep, it made sense. But I don't think the guy did it for purely altruistic reasons, either. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I honestly think Kirito has a considerable lack of trust for people in general. The fact that in one month, he had no one to tag along with until a fluke meeting with Asuna suggests it is rather likely. And frankly, if people are quickly going to turn judgemental on the person who saved their hides, why should he be trusting of them? I'd like to think Kirito took the stance he did to also send a message that he is not willing to be shoved around, treated like crap or labelled like people attempted to label him. Shows he has a spine and that he is a protagonist worth following. Kudos to him.
He does have trust issues, but I don't think it played in how he acted.

Quote:
I'm more intrigued by what Asuna's true nature is. She's clearly not stupid - she couldn't be if she was the only person capable of backing up Kirito. I get the feeling she has her own degree of lacking trust in other players but that Kirito left an impression on her to believe in him but that she wasn't able to do the same to him yet - although he clearly does give a damn about her since Kirito had the decency to tell Asuna to avoid playing alone. But yeah, the fact the main characters aren't super-confident or social but have other forms of positive qualities is making the two believable. It's probably the most appealing aspect of this show for me thus far.
She and Egil (the big guy who stood up for the testers) both understood Kirito's plan. Though they didn't exactly approve of it, they couldn't think of anything better. And it was Kirito's choice, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
It seemed he rushed into it and didn't even consider the change in weapons was different form the beta.
I think even if he did take note of it, I doubt the outcome of it wouldn't have been different.
He'd have been more careful, which would have changed a lot. They could have just pulled an orderly retreat to discuss things.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 13:18   Link #300
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nasuverse
[cut]

Anyway, I wanted the Lelouch evil laugh in the end of Episode 2 :P Jun would've done it quite well if not better than the current VA (Not hating, just that evil laugh part).

As for people saying Kirito is a cheater... Play DoTA for a bit and you'll notice that every good player (esp. in pub games) gets called a Hacker/Cheater for being too pro.

As for the eating, I think the Maker wanted the players to experience the world he created (Aincrad) to be as realistic as possible. To create relationships (the truth-mirror in 1st Ep.), hunger, different culinary food (imagine cooking orc meat or something) and most importantly, DEATH.
__________________

Last edited by james0246; 2012-07-15 at 13:27. Reason: Do not hint at future events.
joshuafaramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weekly episode discussion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.