AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-17, 17:00   Link #1321
Random Wanderer

I have just finished reading the side story "Caliber." It seems to fit chronologically after volume 6 and before volume 7, so I figured I'd read it before I read 7 to try to keep things in order. At the end of the chapter, Kirito thinks to himself something that I believe may embody the primary message of this entire series.

Quote:
If I learnt anything about the human's capability through the experience from the three worlds: SAO, ALO, GGO, it would be just one, «Nothing can be shouldered alone».
It is only because they accepted that truth and worked together that any of the people in SAO ever survived to escape the game. It is because she was taught that lesson that Asuna was able to move past her suicidal plunges into the first-level dungeon and moved on to become the amazing warrior we know her as. It was because of the help of others that Kirito was able to move past his self-destructive desires after letting his guild be wiped out. It was through relying on Kirito that Lizbeth and Silica survived through what happened to them. Only Kirito and Sinon's efforts together were able to save her life, and put an end to the serial killings of GGO players.

No matter how powerful or how badass the character, none of them could overcome their trials alone. Asuna's captivity in ALO wasn't badass decay, but rather a reaffirmation of this message. It was only through the combination of her efforts with Kirito's, Yui's, Lyfa's, Recon's, those of the entire armies of the Sylphs and Cait Sith, and the intervention of Heathcliff's uploaded consciousness that Asuna was freed. All those trials couldn't have been, and shouldn't have been shouldered alone. That was what these stories meant for us to see: that whatever they faced could only be overcome by working together.

I can't say this well, but I think it is important that everyone understands that this is what the author has been trying to tell us. It is why Asuna was put in a situation that she couldn't escape from, it is why Kirito met up with his sister in ALO, it is why everything in these stories has happened. And it is why we shouldn't say that any of these stories ruins someone as a character. None of the characters were ever meant to stand alone, and all of the stories reflect that.

...Sorry. I was thinking about that while the arguments were ongoing, but didn't want to stir things up any more, but once I read that line in Caliber I felt I had to say something.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 17:13   Link #1322
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
I can't say this well, but I think it is important that everyone understands that this is what the author has been trying to tell us. It is why Asuna was put in a situation that she couldn't escape from, it is why Kirito met up with his sister in ALO, it is why everything in these stories has happened. And it is why we shouldn't say that any of these stories ruins someone as a character. None of the characters were ever meant to stand alone, and all of the stories reflect that.
Very well said (even though you may disagree). I haven't read Caliber, but after reading your post, I feel that I must.

That's a very interesting way of looking at this series; and it's also one that I wholeheartedly agree with.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 17:51   Link #1323
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Very well said (even though you may disagree). I haven't read Caliber, but after reading your post, I feel that I must.

That's a very interesting way of looking at this series; and it's also one that I wholeheartedly agree with.
You might also be made to like and respect Klein more after reading it for "non-standard" reasons
Old 2012-07-17, 17:54   Link #1324
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordstriker21 View Post
You might also be made to like and respect Klein more after reading it for "non-standard" reasons
Klein's Awesome Bro-ness knows no bounds
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 17:55   Link #1325
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
i like how Kirito sexually harass Sinon by pulling her tail.
Old 2012-07-17, 18:22   Link #1326
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Klein's Awesome Bro-ness knows no bounds
Klein is actually an amazing man by his own rights. Well, shame Kirito never tagged along with him - Klein+ Kirito's seemingly eerie chick magnet ability seems like a broken combo.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 18:41   Link #1327
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i like how Kirito sexually harass Sinon by pulling her tail.
I like her revenge later on.
Spoiler for near the end of the story:

...said right in front of the rest of the harem. Made all the more amusing as she's the one girl who hasn't (blatantly, at least) actually fallen for him.
Old 2012-07-17, 19:00   Link #1328
Fallen3dge
Darkest Light

Sinon actually likes him. But that scene was epic.
Caliber also shows off Klein's "manliness"
Fallen3dge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 19:12   Link #1329
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
I like her revenge later on.
Spoiler for near the end of the story:

...said right in front of the rest of the harem. Made all the more amusing as she's the one girl who hasn't (blatantly, at least) actually fallen for him.
Don't forget that lovely glowing smile of hers either
Kirito~ Oh you~
Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 02:19   Link #1330
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen3dge View Post
Sinon actually likes him. But that scene was epic.
Caliber also shows off Klein's "manliness"
Speaking about Excaliber and manliness, I wish we would get the thought count whether...
Spoiler for Excaliber:

Just wanted to get this clarified, is it Lizbeth or Lisbeth? I remember Kirito using Liz, while other characters&translators use Lis.
Old 2012-07-18, 02:45   Link #1331
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
Well, if you guys are still waiting for Vol 10, no translations out from me for at least a week. Don't worry, I feed off the tears of anguish of you guys.
!!! You're here! Well,it's alright - they say good things come to those who wait, and these more delicious ME3 MP to distract me.

I don't suppose you're looking for a beta or editor?

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 05:50   Link #1332
Sixth
Hu Tao

Is there any chapter about Kirito and Asuna being lovey-dovey and Asuna with her family scene? Really want to know what her parents would thought about her current character.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 06:09   Link #1333
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
Is there any chapter about Kirito and Asuna being lovey-dovey and Asuna with her family scene? Really want to know what her parents would thought about her current character.
For the family thing read volume 7 Mothers Rosario. Though it might not be what you expect...
Old 2012-07-18, 08:48   Link #1334
Deltaray

Well Kirito does have tendency to harass cats I suppose

Spoiler for Caliber around middle:
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 08:52   Link #1335
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
For the family thing read volume 7 Mothers Rosario. Though it might not be what you expect...
Well, Asuna's mother reaction is pretty much expected from me. So I guess Kirito will have a hard time to seeing Asuna in the future. There is absolutely no way he can marry Asuna unless both of them elope.
Old 2012-07-18, 08:57   Link #1336
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
Well, Asuna's mother reaction is pretty much expected from me. So I guess Kirito will have a hard time to seeing Asuna in the future. There is absolutely no way he can marry Asuna unless both of them elope.
Well either way the "boss-fight" will be beyond epic. The father-boss has already been weakened but the mother-boss's ultimate skill "Mother's Death Glare" has a large of chance of OHKOing a certain black-loving male protagonist. I wonder if the defensive skills "Strong Look of Determination" and "Empowered Emotional Speech about Life and Love" will be enough to save his hide?
Old 2012-07-18, 10:03   Link #1337
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Well either way the "boss-fight" will be beyond epic. The father-boss has already been weakened but the mother-boss's ultimate skill "Mother's Death Glare" has a large of chance of OHKOing a certain black-loving male protagonist. I wonder if the defensive skills "Strong Look of Determination" and "Empowered Emotional Speech about Life and Love" will be enough to save his hide?
If those fail, he still has his 'Extended Weight Limit' skill to carry Asuna, 'Sprint' for running away and even a mastered 'Hiding'. With 'Battle Healing' he should recover from any damage taken
Old 2012-07-18, 10:27   Link #1338
Random Wanderer

Anyone foolish enough to try to deny Asuna the right to be with the person she loves and the friends she has made will come to regret that decision. You will have to physically lock her up to keep her away from them, and that didn't turn out well for the last person who tried it.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:34   Link #1339
Sixth
Hu Tao

I think Kirito will just use " Seeding the seed" technique and forces Asuna's mother to accept their marriage.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:41   Link #1340
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Just go and read Mother's Rosario. Once that's done, your fears will be put to rest.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality