Old 2012-07-18, 12:55   Link #62
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmf-x19a View Post
You do forget that
Spoiler for message above refered to light novel content:

Spoiler for SAO mechanics:

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2012-07-18 at 13:26.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 12:57   Link #63
zgmf-x19a
Divine Gundam Pilot

I guess being a girl she wanted some comforts in her everyday life and I don't think that you start with 12 skill slots you unlock slots as you reach certain key levels
Old 2012-07-18, 12:59   Link #64
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
While I am really independent in games and seek personal accomplishment, I think being stuck in a game like SAO will turn me into a wimpy team-dependent player.

^ I didn't put any of that in spoiler tags as it's fairly generic rpg design rather than something plot-specific from the series.
Doesn't matter, I am still the Assassin/Ranger or healer.

I can play in a team if I want, solo if I don't feel like it (bad mood). Though SAO sounds like a fun game to play IRL.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 12:59   Link #65
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
I guess being a girl she wanted some comforts in her everyday life
if you are going to tackle dungeons and outside areas then you need to have the appropriate skills, otherwise stay in town.
Old 2012-07-18, 13:14   Link #66
zgmf-x19a
Divine Gundam Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
if you are going to tackle dungeons and outside areas then you need to have the appropriate skills, otherwise stay in town.

I agree but due to her fame she was never alone so why bother with essential skills it's best to get skills that makes your everyday life more bearable must be what she was thinking
Old 2012-07-18, 13:18   Link #67
Hmm....

Quote:
Spoiler for Silica:
Spoiler for Silica:

Last edited by Hmm....; 2012-07-18 at 13:21. Reason: Put in spoiler
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 13:25   Link #68
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
I agree but due to her fame she was never alone so why bother with essential skills it's best to get skills that makes your everyday life more bearable must be what she was thinking
she could have 1 or 2 (kirito has fishing/Asuna Cooking) but 1/4 of all slots on non-essential skills is too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
Spoiler for Silica:
She should at least have sprint then. Being able to run away form you enemies is a essential skill, solo or party.
Old 2012-07-18, 13:31   Link #69
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

The question is way too generic. You need to specify at least what type of RPG world we're stuck in. What is the world? Is it a fantasy, green-filled world? Abandoned civilization? Underwater? Who are the enemies? Monsters? Aliens? Zombies? Or just plain survival? What is the objective we need to complete in order to get back to the real world? Beating the final boss like in SAO? Time limit survival? Hunt for a special item? Building the Ark to survive the flood of doom? What weapons do we use? Guns, swords, mace, lasers, aircraft?

Only when a specific amount of parameters are given, only then we can formulate specific strategies to survive and defeat the game. Suppose we're in a zombie-filled world where getting infected turns you into a zombie, and there are 'safe zones' that you can hide to avoid them. The objective is to kill the zombie king. Infinite time limit until success. Then it's imperative that the majority of the players to STAY WITHIN THE SAFE ZONE and only small squads of elites operate, as they cannot risk losing people and add to the enemies' numbers.

Suppose it's the SAO type of fantasy world, then getting into a small, individual parties would be more useful because one, you're not competing to become number one. You're competing to win your freedom and get the hell out of the virtual world. To join a guild with large amounts of people simply means that you're trying to survive the world and not beating it (though The Army - I'm not sure what it's called in English, I read the Chinese translated SAO - is necessary because they needed to feed those who wouldn't/couldn't fight). And you don't have an infinite amount of time either; every second wasted means your real body is rotting somewhere in a hospital, assuming that the treatment you get can last you that long.

To play the game solo is extremely risky, but also increases your chances of getting stronger and much more capable of defeating bosses. Individuality wins out. Kirito is so powerful because he made sure that he explores the depth of the world through his own eyes and by his own will, gaining so much battle experiences and skill that he's capable of soloing bosses - those ten levels below him - making the right decisions, and honing the right instincts to react in a life and death situation.

But there are times solo just can't get you far enough, so you need a team as well. Hence small parties. A best-of-the-best-only guild like Asuna's is the type of guild you want to be in. It also holds the best chances to defeating the final boss with the least amount of sacrifices. Suppose that the final boss requires the sacrifice of at least ten top class players' or one hundred decently strong players' lives. The choice is obvious.

Well, honestly the SAO arc isn't good compared to its sequels in terms of plot, though ALO might came close to being worse...
Old 2012-07-18, 13:34   Link #70
Hmm....

Quote:
She should at least have sprint then. Being able to run away form you enemies is a essential skill, solo or party.
Perhap she planned to put it in her next available skill slot ? I know she will after that incident anyway (or more like never go solo ever again )
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 13:34   Link #71
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craxuan View Post
The question is way too generic. You need to specify at least what type of RPG world we're stuck in. What is the world? Is it a fantasy, green-filled world? Abandoned civilization? Underwater? Who are the enemies? Monsters? Aliens? Zombies? Or just plain survival? What is the objective we need to complete in order to get back to the real world? Beating the final boss like in SAO? Time limit survival? Hunt for a special item? Building the Ark to survive the flood of doom? What weapons do we use? Guns, swords, mace, lasers, aircraft?
this is posted in the SAO subforum. I don't think it needs to be spell out that the subject would be regarding a hypothetical SAO game where we are the ones that are stuck in.
Old 2012-07-18, 13:36   Link #72
shadow1296

i would also play solo but also stealth the hasnt been an rpg ive played where there hasn't been some kind of bonus for catching an enemy off gaurd
Old 2012-07-18, 13:49   Link #73
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Quote:
Welcome! The purpose of this thread is to discuss what you would do if confronted with the life and death situation of being stuck in an RPG where your character dying means your own death. What strategies would you undertake to survive? Would you party? Would you solo? Would you form a massive guild?

Remember the purpose of this thread is what you would do if your very life rested in an RPG. This isn't simply a hardcore playthrough where you start over if your character dies once. If your character dies, you die as well so keep that in mind. Feel free to debate and contrast your strategies and techniques as your very survival would depend on it!
The poster did not specify that he wants a SAO world survival strategy discussion (which he totally could have) so I'm just voicing my doubt.
Old 2012-07-18, 13:55   Link #74
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craxuan View Post
The poster did not specify that he wants a SAO world survival strategy discussion (which he totally could have) so I'm just voicing my doubt.
it is in the SAO subforum, what else do you need?
Old 2012-07-18, 14:01   Link #75
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Last time I learned mods are insanely particular about their thread details. I'm just following that protocol. Talking about being trapped in any hypothetical RPG world also fits the SAO theme.
Old 2012-07-18, 14:05   Link #76
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

i don't think anyone is going to stop you if you want to about some other MMOG then SAO but i think the majority of the posters here are assuming that SAO is the main topic. So don't be surprise if no one else reply to your post.
Old 2012-07-18, 14:11   Link #77
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

We're off topic. I suggest that you stop replying to my post or we both risk getting warned my moderators.
Old 2012-07-18, 15:04   Link #78
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Spoiler for SAO mechanics:
As you level up, the amount of skills you can use increases. In First Day side story Kirito started off with only 2 skill slots, One-handed Sword and Searching (or Tracking?).

About Silica: She isn't part of the clearers, she is a mid-level player. When mid-level players do dungeons or hunt mobs, they do it out of boredom or to earn enough money for basic needs. Their main focus isn't necessarily rare items or gear upgrade like it is for clearers.
They weren't thinking of maximising their character potential (outside the necessary combat skills) when choosing skills.
Old 2012-07-18, 17:19   Link #79
zgmf-x19a
Divine Gundam Pilot

Quote:
she could have 1 or 2 (kirito has fishing/Asuna Cooking) but 1/4 of all slots on non-essential skills is too much.

Don't forget that Pina has a really special skill:healing and besides she was very young her inexperience is one of the main cause for not choosing vital skills.
Again I do think that she does not have many slots at her level so she had all her skills or a major part of them filled with 'comfort' skills.

Healing combat must be a skill that is obtained at a rather high level and also after sustaining huge damages or reaching a key number e.g 200k damage
Old 2012-07-18, 17:23   Link #80
zgmf-x19a
Divine Gundam Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1296 View Post
i would also play solo but also stealth the hasnt been an rpg ive played where there hasn't been some kind of bonus for catching an enemy off gaurd

The stealth element was introduced with the 'Hide' skill though I don't know if you can move while being hidden.
Asuna used to play barefoot in the game to avoid making noises IIRC