AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Old 2012-03-20, 12:37   Link #361
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That's honestly not the feeling I was getting. I wasn't getting clear signals in either direction here. I don't think that much can be safely assumed about Kamijou's feelings towards Sayaka. It's quite conceivable that he might have accepted a romantic confession from Sayaka if she had made one.

Yes, Kamijou snapped off at Sayaka once, but it was for reasons that didn't have to do with her, per se. Listening to beautiful violin music when he no longer could play the violin filled him with angry regret, at least for a moment. It's understandable.
It's conceivable but I just didn't get that feeling. How it felt to me was that she was the one showing up every day, encouraging him, and in return she got "you're a good friend". Did he seek her out when he was released? No, the excuse was that he was so busy with everyone else, he couldn't find time for her. Obviously she had the disadvantage of her Magical Girl duties, while Hitomi could be near him more often after he was out, but still...I just got zero romantic vibes from the guy.

Quote:
How can you reciprocate something that you don't even know is there? Was Kamijo reciprocating any feelings to Hitomi before she confessed to him?
And this is a good point. How do you? Isn't that kind of the problem with Sayaka's wish, that she was warned about? He would never know, unless she explained everything, what she did for him. She did it anyway, naively hoping that his getting better would improve their relationship (clearly after all that time in the hospital it wasn't going anywhere), and instead her choice drove them further apart. I don't know about Hitomi....I seem to recall she was closer due to being a childhood friend. As you said before, it's conceivable that if Sayaka confessed, he might have accepted. Even so, I still have doubts about her happiness.

Quote:
I don't think that she was naive about justice. Love, perhaps, but not justice.

What's naive about wanting to protect the people that you love? What's naive about objecting to somebody letting innocent people die in order to collect Grief Seeds? I don't think a person would need to be naive to agree with Sayaka here. I'm certainly inclined to agree with her on both of these points.
She wasn't naive in her desire, but she was naive in her approach. She took a stern view on injustice, that "bad guys are bad because they are bad" kind of mentality. Her judgment bordered on impulsive and rash, with little thought given to morality or consequences. Most of all she burdened herself too much, refusing the hands reached out to her.

Quote:
Now, I don't think that this ruins Hitomi's character or means that she should be completely hated. But I don't see the point in sugarcoating what Hitomi did. In truth, she put romantic desire before long-standing friendship. She has a right to do that, but viewers also have a right to disagree with it.
I agree.
Old 2012-03-20, 12:52   Link #362
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
It's conceivable but I just didn't get that feeling. How it felt to me was that she was the one showing up every day, encouraging him, and in return she got "you're a good friend". Did he seek her out when he was released? No, the excuse was that he was so busy with everyone else, he couldn't find time for her. Obviously she had the disadvantage of her Magical Girl duties, while Hitomi could be near him more often after he was out, but still...I just got zero romantic vibes from the guy.
It wasn't much, but the scene where he shared earpieces with Sayaka (one for his ear, and one for her's) struck me as slightly romantic.

My overall take on Kamijo is that he's typically a lowkey, easy-going guy that doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve (but like many artists, his passions probably run high when it comes to his art). In that sense, I actually do think that Hitomi is probably a better personality match for him than Sayaka is (I think that Sayaka would genuinely be happier, long-term, with a much more upbeat and passionate guy - somebody like Star Driver's Takuto Tsunashi or Angel Beats!'s Hinata is pretty close to my conception of Sayaka's ideal boyfriend).

Quote:
And this is a good point. How do you? Isn't that kind of the problem with Sayaka's wish, that she was warned about? He would never know, unless she explained everything, what she did for him. She did it anyway, naively hoping that his getting better would improve their relationship (clearly after all that time in the hospital it wasn't going anywhere), and instead her choice drove them further apart.
Yeah, this is why I didn't disagree with you on Sayaka being naive about love. I think her heart is in the right place for love, but her mind isn't.

Quote:
I don't know about Hitomi....I seem to recall she was closer due to being a childhood friend.
Actually, Hitomi said to Sayaka that Sayaka has known Kamijo longer than Hitomi has. That in fact was part of the reason why Hitomi said she'd let Sayaka have a 24-hour head-start on Hitomi, basically.

Quote:
As you said before, it's conceivable that if Sayaka confessed, he might have accepted. Even so, I still have doubts about her happiness.
Yeah, I'm with you here. I think that something would have to change Kamijo for him to become the guy that Sayaka believes him to be.

Quote:
She wasn't naive in her desire, but she was naive in her approach. She took a stern view on injustice, that "bad guys are bad because they are bad" kind of mentality. Her judgment bordered on impulsive and rash, with little thought given to morality or consequences. Most of all she burdened herself too much, refusing the hands reached out to her.
Yeah, those are pretty fair points. I would say that Sayaka's biggest weakness was being impulsive. She took most things at face value without digging below the surface. That can help a person make quick decisions, but not always the best ones.
Old 2012-07-19, 10:30   Link #363
Kimidori
Let's Play

Sayaka ultimate fate in the PSP game always is suffering

Old 2012-07-19, 14:02   Link #364
Kirito
Unlimited Flag Works!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito Send a message via Skype™ to Kirito
So even in the game she gets the short end of the stick. No surprise, considering that her love issues and "best friend" (shudders) always end up scewing her over in the end.

Last edited by Kirito; 2012-07-19 at 14:12.
Kirito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 09:07   Link #365
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

Meh, they're always picking on her.

While we're on the topic about Sayaka and the PSP game (which I've never tried since I have no PSP ), I found her translated skill tree for the game.
Images
Skill Tree
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I have to say that I like the names, themes and concepts of her skills. Blades, Music, Healing and Water. Typhoon in particular, has got me interested.

Last edited by Coldlight; 2012-12-17 at 02:39. Reason: broken link fixed
Coldlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 20:38   Link #366
Akito Kinomoto
木之本 慊人

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
Sayaka ultimate fate in the PSP game always is suffering

A Kyouko from another show sneering at Sayaka's misfortune. Can we say "irony"?
I won't forget your voice, nor will I forget the tears
and the future known as 'hope' that starts from now

My MAL||A tract on my rewatch of Sword Art Online
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters