AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Accel World

Notices

View Poll Results: Accel World - Episode 15 Rating
Perfect 10 8 12.90%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 9 14.52%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 33.87%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 19.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 11.29%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.23%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.23%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-07-21, 04:47   Link #61
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
I did something I haven't done in a long time with a show I liked: skipped through half of it until it didn't suck as much. Surprise, Ash Roller arrives to make the episode sane.

Thank you Ash Roller. You saved this episode from being entirely giga stupid.

I like Haru, but not enough to sit through fifteen minutes of awful character dialogue. At times it reverted to the classic anime "parrot talk":

Where we going?
Up the hill.
Up the hill?
Yes, the hill.
Why are we going up the hill?
To see my master.
To see your master?
Yes, she's up the hill.
Why are we going up the hill to see your master?

ARRGGGHHH.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 04:54   Link #62
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I think people are missing the point of the wings and how they essentially symbolize Haru's confidence, when he got them is when he started to change and gain confidence, having them taken away is the shock that has led to this regression, thus he's going to have to get them back in order to move forward again and learn to fight without them as well in order to do so which will probably lead to newfound and less shaky confidence. Looking at it that way and noting how the episode goes out of it's way to illustrate the importance of the wings as it did I think it makes perfect sense in context as to why Haru took the turn he did.
He was regressing even before he was drawn into the match. The symbolism of the wings were more of a backdrop than the focal point of it considering he can't even help protect the only person who vested so much of her own to hold on to their friendship. I know what you are saying, but understanding still doesn't make the episode any better for me. KLGChaos take reinforces even further how frustrating it has already been to watch this character thus far. Yeah, I agree he is got quite the ego also, and it was kind of satisfying that for once he was put into his place.

I'll be honest here (and no offense to the fans of the show)..... it's been a while since I've sat through something this frustrating. The reason I still continue is because it's not often I get to see a fat egoist gets the girl for no apparent reason. He practically has his own harem for heaven's sake. It's almost like watching a harem/ecchi show where the dimwitted protagonist is actually a fat kid. The difference there is that I never have to worry about a story in those type of show. Here, I unfortunately do and Haru isn't making things any easier.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 04:56   Link #63
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Welp fine, I give up I guess, people are upset with this and I'm not really and I've explained why and that's the way it is. Just don't really get why people are having this much trouble with the arc, I'm not finding it at all hard to watch even if it's a little more simplistic and Haru-centric than the others have been.

Then again to be honest I don't really get that frustrated when watching anime so maybe that's just me being different here. At least nowhere near the level of others cause at the end of the day it's just a show, I'd rather worry about the technical merits of a show which for me are pretty sound here.

But anyway so basically you admit you're watching the show for no other reason than because you hate it. I remember that happening once before with a mod...I just hope the experience will be more pleasant for the fans than what happened in that case.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 05:02   Link #64
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
lol... Don't give up yet. This discussion won't be where it is in the thread if you gave up. Just bare with us for a bit. This discussion has been certainly more enjoyable than the episode itself, and you get a lot of credits. And no I don't hate it. I don't take my anime that seriously. I'm watching it because I want to.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 05:03   Link #65
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
lol... Don't give up yet. This discussion won't be where it is in the thread if you gave up. Just bare with us for a bit. This discussion has been certainly more enjoyable than the episode itself, and you get a lot of credits.
I've found it pretty unfortunate so it seems we don't share the same taste in conversation. *shrug* As I keep saying it's certainly not what I would have had in mind for a subforum (is this really the quality and type of conversation that the mods are looking for in a subforum when they go to create it? If so I might have a few words to say in the feedback forum soon) and I would hope that my presence shouldn't have to be the only thing to make it functional, dynamic and enjoyable. That too me would be pretty unfortunate as well.

Well this has been totally off topic and I've probably broken more than a few rules in getting everything I've wanted to off my chest so I think that settles that.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 05:13   Link #66
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: edge of my dream in the land of twilight...ZzzZzZ
Episode 15

Meh, the first whole part of this episode was just a big sob story along with a nice relaxing guilt trip. However, the near the ending things get kind of interesting because of our old friend Ash.

Awww, Ash is actually a nice guy with a big heart. He might not have the brains but he's definitely got more heart than Haru. I wonder if they'll be best buddies now, lol
__________________
Wandering_Youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 05:21   Link #67
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Philippines
As much I want to rage, this arc has a purpose. I am guessing Haru would now re-evaluate himself and realize that he can still be the best without wings. Case in point: 2nd battle of AR vs SC. This arc would serve as a reminder for that.

Overall, this would be start of the true building of Haru to stand on his own without the help of KYH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
Awww, Ash is actually a nice guy with a big heart. He might not have the brains but he's definitely got more heart than Haru. I wonder if they'll be best buddies now, lol
Nah, they will start as rivals, then vitriolic buddies, then friends. IMO
orpheus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 05:41   Link #68
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Saitama, Japan
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
I can't help but feel extremely tired with this arc, due to how the setting was done.
The purpose is quite clear and definitely nudge the huge issue Haru has regarding his self esteem entirely based on his aviation ability.

However, the build up just doesn't fit. Sure, we know that Haru is quite proud of his ability that basically let him earn his position among KYH's group, but his arrogance is starting to be quite a stretch, especially he faced many occasions where his ability got countered, and sometimes, quite -hard-.
For an experienced player, the fact he literally ignored Noumi special gauge and didn't feel odd that he was basically letting himself hit on purpose was nerve grating.

Past the laughable blackmail being nonsensical when you think about it, Haru's decision of not disclosing his situation just make things worse since his predicament would be exposed the very moment he fight alongside with Taku or KYH when she is back. So while I can buy that Haru is completely shaken by his loss, keeping his mouth shut just doesn't cut it.
Also, his complete underdog attitude is sort of huge setback. I would rather expect it to occur something like...right after Taku joins them, but even after the whole chrome disaster arc, this "back to square one" setup just leaves a weird continuity in his character development imho.
I didn't expect Haru to magically get over the issue, and did see the angst coming, but the fashion and actions alongside are going a way bit "too" backwards in this case.

At least, this arc will most likely allow him to learn some trick and gain a more "subtle" confidence in himself.
Meanwhile, color me surprised by Ash Roller: I surely didn't expect him to knock him some sense, so his speech and invitation to see Sky Raker definitely made him earn points.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 05:49   Link #69
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Off-topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I've found it pretty unfortunate so it seems we don't share the same taste in conversation. *shrug* As I keep saying it's certainly not what I would have had in mind for a subforum (is this really the quality and type of conversation that the mods are looking for in a subforum when they go to create it? If so I might have a few words to say in the feedback forum soon) and I would hope that my presence shouldn't have to be the only thing to make it functional, dynamic and enjoyable. That too me would be pretty unfortunate as well....
At some point in time, I've figured it out that the world doesn't revolve around me (or anyone for that matter.) It's more like the world is revolving around something much bigger with the whole lot of us on it. Trust me when I say that this forum won't miss a stride if you or me don't ever post on it again. The fans of this show will discuss the anime the way they see fit. I really hope you won't burden yourself with the responsibility to enhance the functionality of a discussion rather than just being part of it. It's much more enjoyable for everyone when a conversation isn't forced to revolve around just one opinion. We all have our views and can express our own set of understanding as long as we aren't troubling others by forcing it down to their throat. To go on a bit further, I posted here not as a moderator, but as another anime-fan who watched the episode. I admire and respect our moderating core for that very reason who still finds the time to participate and enjoy conversation in many threads. I guess that's enough off-topic for today.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 06:53   Link #70
Azure King
Snr Spammer
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
man i hate it when the director pull something like this off.. and fails hard
i didn't mind haru got bitch slap but he had to put in an OP abilities? WTF? and to top it off..
he lose his wings and we see some annoying scene... (i fast forward that scene, sick of watching, boo hoo hoo me, me, me)

/End rant
Azure King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 07:47   Link #71
KLGChaos
The Shermain
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
See this is true, it is a pretty classic case and it's definitely a personality flaw that crops up in his gaming life. It takes an inflated ego as well as poor self-esteem to put that much stock in his aviation ability and the fact that he could have won if he hadn't dawdled around and just finished Noumi while he had the advantage shows that his ego got in the way. To me it seems almost fair punishment that he should be stripped of them for relying on and taking a little too much pride in them. There's growth to be had in this in more than a few ways.

As for his friends, the way I see it they aren't enabling him at all so much as trying to support him even as they're going through periods of doubt. Taku punched him in the face and was clearly not happy that he wouldn't talk to Chiyuri about what happened and try to calm her down and Chiyuri is obviously having problems herself. I dunno, I just don't see how these developments are bad and make the show poorly written because the characters are at a low point. Honestly I think it makes them kind of interested. I'd be more upset if I couldn't see where it all was coming from, but as I've said I see all the connections, character reasonings and their reactions to things quite clearly and it's honestly pretty consistent with how I've come to see them all up to this point.

While I find Haru's attitude annoying (and the fact that his character is literally running in circles development-wise) what really turns me off about the arc is his dealings with Noumi. Frankly, Noumi is one of the most annoying types of villains for me-- the kind that don't just win, but rub it the good guy's face and then proceeds to blackmail him. I have absolutely no patience for that kind of person, especially one with a bullshit plot device power specifically designed just to put the lead at his lowest. Seems a bit too contrived for my tastes.

And Haru giving into that bastard was just facepalm central. Even at my lowest point, I would have been defiant to the end and told him to go screw himself. Of course, I'm American, so I wouldn't care if he posted lying videos about me. I'd just have him arrested for blackmail.
__________________
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 07:57   Link #72
steven3242
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
just watched the episode, instant love for ash he is such a bro.

ok iam going rant a little bit here so bear with me.

i agree with mostly people here though, haru attidute way to exaggrerated, yes you lost your wing, yes you are the only BL who can fly, yes its one of your main power. but that doesnt mean you instantly fell into hole of despair beyond measure just because you lost it sigh .

and his attidute in real life also very problematic (or abnormal to me at least), what kind of person who dont want to tell his problem to his best bud? its not like its taku fault or has something to do with him!?!?!? this your best bud asking, your "guild mate" asking to help ffs!!!! i consider myself as "easy to give up/despair" person but if someone (especially my best bud) asking whats wrong, i'll gladly tell him my problem, i wont tell him to help me by any mean but at least i'll get some advice and suggestion right?

ugh i really hope haru will change his attidute later on, i though he already "man up" after all those event and now 1 small problem he back to his oldself.

in our term (mmorpg) i guess this is like someone pk you and take your your "special 1 and for you only +10 epic "back" equipment" from you. it hurts yes but not something that can make you (especially if you claim to be online gamer veteran) go aemo to the point you want to delete the game, proclaim yourself useless etc etc.

and lets not forget that this is just a game, they (haru etc) really taking this stuff way to seriously its not like you going to die if you lost (sword art online come to mind) or have serious penalty in real world, you only lost the ability to "tweak" time and thats it, its not a game breaker at all.
steven3242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 08:30   Link #73
MartianMage
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: outer space
Let's see... Killer move stealer with no time limit and can stack many times... Clearly Kawahara Reki should never be making any actual games else we have a playerbase raging at the imba.

Aaaanyway... More Ash Roller please!
__________________
Homura: Die monster! You don't belong in this world!
Kyubey: It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh. I was called here by humans who wish to pay me tribute.
Homura: Tribute? You steal girls's souls, and make them your slaves!
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 08:44   Link #74
Awrya
U mad?
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
Let's see... Killer move stealer with no time limit and can stack many times... Clearly Kawahara Reki should never be making any actual games else we have a playerbase raging at the imba.

Aaaanyway... More Ash Roller please!
There must be conditions attached, even Noumi said so himself.
The most likely conditions are his HP must be critical and he had to look SC in the eyes/face and 'absorb' his ability.

But then again the stage just had to hold him down for Noumi to steal his ability
__________________
Awrya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 09:00   Link #75
TheEroKing
On a Break
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: India
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to TheEroKing
Took 15 episodes just to show pigs aren't meant to fly
__________________
TheEroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 09:20   Link #76
steven3242
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
this is probably a dumb question but...

does silver crow has any other "ability" aside flying? i though everytime you level up you can choose an "ability" you like to equip?

like ash roller for example, first time you met him, he only has his bike and nothing much else, after that he has "wall ride" because he say he got stronger which i take it he level up. and finally he appear again and this time he has "homing missile" ability which again i take it he got it from choosing ability thanks to level up.


something like that, soo silver crow already reach level 5 (or is it 6?) so how come he only have 1 ability which is flying.

even if you count the "rider" punch/kick, thats only 2 so far, headbut doesnt include because its a starting ability a.k.a level 1 ability
steven3242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 09:34   Link #77
rainz
original vampire
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: southeast asia
It takes some skills for an author to pull off an arc where the main hero of a show has a complete breakdown. It just usually isn't any fun watching them. Worst of all is when you can't even feel sympathetic for the character in question. See Guilty Crown's Shoe for an example.

In contrast, look at someone like Gurren Lagann's Shimon. He also had a inferiority complex, and had a big break down, but I always felt for the guy. I "believe" in his character. Haru's situations feels a bit too much like plot manipulation.

And this is what bothers me about the show's treatment of Haru. I only feel pity for him, and that's not what I like for a protagonist.
rainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 09:36   Link #78
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
That fight was weird as hell. Couldn't he have just kept on punching the crap out of Noumi instead of needing to do a fancy finishing move?

And I'm just not convinced with how this whole blackmailing thing works. The school have already discovered a suspicious item and have put a notice throughout the school. Can't they just check the cameras to see who did it? Maybe Noumi hacked into them so to leave no trace but did he also hack into them to leave no trace of the footage of Haru going into the shower room? If he did then Haru has nothing to worry about. They can just check the cameras and since there's no trace they'd have to conclude that it's fake footage and Haru is being set up. If Noumi didn't then Haru would've been called up by the school already.

It's a bit disappointing to see that Taku didn't know about anything. So basically that means Haru got a suspicious message from Noumi telling him to meet in a remote place and Haru decided not to tell Taku despite them being in the same room and despite knowing that Noumi has an ability that Haru hasn't figured out yet. That's surprisingly stupid really. And it doesn't really make sense for him not to tell Taku right now, either. Unless he thinks Taku is so stupid that he's going to give away the fact that he knows to Noumi before planning out a counter-attack.

I also didn't realise Taku and Chiyu broke up. They still seemed to be acting like a couple so I thought they were still going out. I still hope Taku has a bigger role in this than just supporting Haru. Really i hope all the characters have a larger role than just supporting Haru. It doesn't really seem like like any of them have their own roles or battles that are independent of Haru. The only thing we got close to that is when Taku fought KYH but since then any attempt at it has been informed (E.g KYH's issue with Red Rider and Scarlet Rain's issue with her friend). I didn't know Ash Roller could be such a bro though. But it also seems like he's just there to support Haru at least for now.
__________________

Last edited by Haak; 2012-07-21 at 10:06.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 09:51   Link #79
steven3242
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Couldn't he have just kept on punching the crap out of Noumi instead of needing to do a fancy finishing move?
this!!!! this so much!!!!

he even said it him self, just one more hit and its over, instead of 1 mere punch he do a "cutscene" move.

this aint SRW or tokusatsu where your enemy just stand there watching your sparkling move in awe
steven3242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 09:58   Link #80
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven3242 View Post
this is probably a dumb question but...

does silver crow has any other "ability" aside flying? i though everytime you level up you can choose an "ability" you like to equip?

like ash roller for example, first time you met him, he only has his bike and nothing much else, after that he has "wall ride" because he say he got stronger which i take it he level up. and finally he appear again and this time he has "homing missile" ability which again i take it he got it from choosing ability thanks to level up.


something like that, soo silver crow already reach level 5 (or is it 6?) so how come he only have 1 ability which is flying.

even if you count the "rider" punch/kick, thats only 2 so far, headbut doesnt include because its a starting ability a.k.a level 1 ability
He is level 5. And nope, he doesn't have any other ability than flight. He put all bonus points on it and to increase his flight time and for status its all in agility.

His avatar sole purpose is his aviation ability. He has fast mental reflex that he can utilize well if his avatar is faster and way faster than anyone. And having the only one who has flying ability in the game. Makes him a hard opponent. Thus he feels confident on it. But like what's been pointed earlier.

Haru got overconfident on this one and didn't think it through. As a matter of fact. Like I said he is acting to dumb and being played at. He is inconsistent in the previews arc that he notice that the girl pretending to be his cousin is a fake and also at the first arc where he is being wary of KYH approaching him.

He is right now acting high and tough and had confidence and ability he is proud of but when it got stolen sh*t happens and their is no KYH to correct him and he didn't even tell hi best bud that he is in deep trouble. I can think that his reason is he doesn't want to involve Taku but he is SERIOUSLY INVOLVE IN THIS MESS! plus his your best friend dammit not even trusting him is a very wrong move and you yourself let you get tricked by this Noumiso do*che bag.
__________________

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.