AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-07-18, 05:54   Link #6041
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
More serious but maybe still silly question.

How do you rent an apartment if you have an eviction? I've got nothing here. I've tried basically everything I can think of short of offering to pay the entire lease up front (which I can't afford to do even if I wanted to).

I was evicted from an apartment in 2009 after the big housing market crash and I was laid off. So far I've run into roadblock after roadblock trying to rent a place. I'm going to end up homeless (again) unless I figure out how to get around this obstacle. Every search online suggests things I've already tried and have already failed.
That sounds like a tough situation - I hope that things work out for you.

The only things I can think of:
1) Have roommates. Either don't be on the lease, or have enough roommates that the landlord will ignore your history.

2) Move to an area where landlords have probably accepted people with prior evictions.

Both options are somewhat risky, as you're looking at having to trust others or you're probably looking at bad neighborhoods.

Why would an eviction from three years ago work against you today, though? I know many apartments ask for your prior history and may ask to contact an old landlord, but are you legally obligated to answer truthfully about your eviction history? Are you legally obligated to list the landlord who evicted you?
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 06:39   Link #6042
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Kitch-Water and T.O., Canada
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
More serious but maybe still silly question.

How do you rent an apartment if you have an eviction? I've got nothing here. I've tried basically everything I can think of short of offering to pay the entire lease up front (which I can't afford to do even if I wanted to).

I was evicted from an apartment in 2009 after the big housing market crash and I was laid off. So far I've run into roadblock after roadblock trying to rent a place. I'm going to end up homeless (again) unless I figure out how to get around this obstacle. Every search online suggests things I've already tried and have already failed.
Oh man, really don't move into a bad (violent or hard druggy-infested) neighbourhood for the sake of shelter.

Like Ledgem said, get a house/apartment with so many renters that the landlord no longer cares and that you get a very low rental fee. If your current situation cannot support even a lowered rent, then the only other option is those hostels for the extremely low economy. I also don't understand this eviction thing. Why do you need to tell them? Just say you were living with family or ex or something. I've never had to provide any of that when I signed my leases =/

In my worst days, I had 3 months of unpaid rent. The landlord was a really really understanding 20-ish student and he was renting his house to 6 other people. Which isn't even legal. But that really helped with me not getting evicted for not paying rent. So you kind of want to look for someone like that. A landlord who is really half-assed with things and doesn't follow the rules either. I have no strategy in finding those people. It's been good & bad luck for me =/
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 13:38   Link #6043
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
More serious but maybe still silly question.

How do you rent an apartment if you have an eviction? I've got nothing here. I've tried basically everything I can think of short of offering to pay the entire lease up front (which I can't afford to do even if I wanted to).

I was evicted from an apartment in 2009 after the big housing market crash and I was laid off. So far I've run into roadblock after roadblock trying to rent a place. I'm going to end up homeless (again) unless I figure out how to get around this obstacle. Every search online suggests things I've already tried and have already failed.
I'm going to repeat what Ledgem said, for the moment you may have to be an unnamed tenant in the goodwill of a room mate named as the tenant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
Why would an eviction from three years ago work against you today, though? I know many apartments ask for your prior history and may ask to contact an old landlord, but are you legally obligated to answer truthfully about your eviction history? Are you legally obligated to list the landlord who evicted you?
But California has some of the strongest tenant laws on the books... isn't there a process to work around a bad history and recover? There are probably a ton of people in the same situation. Even foreclosures and bankruptcies fall off after a while. Almost everyone took massive financial hits in 2008-2009 so I'm really not amused by these "purity tests" I'm seeing in purchasing, housing, and employment.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 17:10   Link #6044
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
I can not tell them, but if I do, they just find it anyway by using one of those tenant screening companies.

We've already been turned down multiple times, and trying to find a roommate situation doesn't work unless you're by yourself. We really lucked out in the place we're currently living in, but the rent is going to go up to some ridiculous amount and we can't afford 1300 a month just to rent a room; it's not possible.

If you have an eviction at all, these realtors around here won't even speak to you, they won't accept explanations, they just tell you to GTFO.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 17:16   Link #6045
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 29
Is there any way to get an eviction wiped from your record? Can the landlord who did it remove it?
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 17:18   Link #6046
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Is there any way to get an eviction wiped from your record? Can the landlord who did it remove it?
Sure, if I pay them. But I don't have $2k laying around, and even if I paid them now it'd take a significant period of time before it'd fall off my credit. I've got a little less than two weeks before I'm out on the streets.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 04:45   Link #6047
Azuma Denton
~AD~
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
If i buy something (ex: a figure of Batman), then i took a picture of it and sell it as a photobook of my figure collection. Is it infringing a copyright??
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 06:01   Link #6048
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
If i buy something (ex: a figure of Batman), then i took a picture of it and sell it as a photobook of my figure collection. Is it infringing a copyright??
Potentially yes. It would be different if you were trying to re-sell the figure, but here you're trying to sell an image of the toy. Rights to the commercial use of images or the likeness of a toy usually belong to the toymaker. If in doubt, best check with the company for the terms and conditions of usage.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 06:13   Link #6049
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Potentially yes. It would be different if you were trying to re-sell the figure, but here you're trying to sell an image of the toy. Rights to the commercial use of images or the likeness of a toy usually belong to the toymaker. If in doubt, best check with the company for the terms and conditions of usage.
It depends on the subject of the Photos. If you can reasonably argue that your photos were meant as art than it's probably OK but do be warned that just a couple of years ago Mattel sued a guy who used Barbie dolls as his photo subjects:

How fair use brought us VCRs, copiers—and nude Barbie enchiladas @ Ars Technica
__________________

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 06:21   Link #6050
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
It depends on the subject of the Photos. If you can reasonably argue that your photos were meant as art than it's probably OK but do be warned that just a couple of years ago Mattel sued a guy who used Barbie dolls as his photo subjects:

How fair use brought us VCRs, copiers—and nude Barbie enchiladas @ Ars Technica
That's a different case. Azuma Denton specifically said he wishes to sell an image of a Batman figure he bought. That is almost likely copyright infringement. Hard to argue for fair use when he is intending to profit from the photo.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 20:13   Link #6051
Azuma Denton
~AD~
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Hmm, ic ic... Thanks for the input, TinyRedLeaf.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 22:20   Link #6052
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Is it common for nurse to give some sweet thing (in my country: sweet iced tea) after blood donation? What about another country?
Japan: Depends on the location.

Korea: An energy drink and a Choco Pie, and depending on location, all-you-can-drink soda fountain (like the kind used in fast food shops) and a bag of chips along with several internet connected computers
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 22:24   Link #6053
Seitsuki
Onee!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Auckland, NZ
I need help.

My 20th birthday is coming up in less than a month, and you know how it is with Asians, apparently it's something important.. anyway.. my parents insist I do something, my previous birthdays were nice quiet affairs, going out to dinner with family etc, but for this I'm supposed to call out friends and.. I don't know. Anti-social type here, thank goodness I at least have some friends, my dad said if I didn't have any he could call out loads of his and.. oh god the thought is enough to make me die, let's not dwell on that. My point is I don't know what it is people do, I mean I know apparently people have big parties with lots of drinking and stuff for 20ths?.. That's not me, no sir, ideally I can just do something quick for a few hours during the day and settle for a quiet dinner again but I don't know. So lost. Never was very good at this social thing. Any help is appreciated. Please.
__________________
thanks to Patchy ♥
Seitsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 22:28   Link #6054
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
What kind of Asian?

Also, just a general suggestion: Perhaps lunch out with those couple of friends?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 22:55   Link #6055
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vereinigte Staaten
Age: 22
Create a courtesy name for yourself, obviously. Problem solved.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 23:34   Link #6056
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
I need help.

My 20th birthday is coming up in less than a month, and you know how it is with Asians, apparently it's something important.. anyway.. my parents insist I do something, my previous birthdays were nice quiet affairs, going out to dinner with family etc, but for this I'm supposed to call out friends and.. I don't know. Anti-social type here, thank goodness I at least have some friends, my dad said if I didn't have any he could call out loads of his and.. oh god the thought is enough to make me die, let's not dwell on that. My point is I don't know what it is people do, I mean I know apparently people have big parties with lots of drinking and stuff for 20ths?.. That's not me, no sir, ideally I can just do something quick for a few hours during the day and settle for a quiet dinner again but I don't know. So lost. Never was very good at this social thing. Any help is appreciated. Please.
Hold your birthday party at a nearby orphanage, say that it is for karma reasons while surrounding yourself with lolis.

Happy birthday btw.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 00:17   Link #6057
Azuma Denton
~AD~
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
I need help.

My 20th birthday is coming up in less than a month, and you know how it is with Asians, apparently it's something important.. anyway.. my parents insist I do something, my previous birthdays were nice quiet affairs, going out to dinner with family etc, but for this I'm supposed to call out friends and.. I don't know. Anti-social type here, thank goodness I at least have some friends, my dad said if I didn't have any he could call out loads of his and.. oh god the thought is enough to make me die, let's not dwell on that. My point is I don't know what it is people do, I mean I know apparently people have big parties with lots of drinking and stuff for 20ths?.. That's not me, no sir, ideally I can just do something quick for a few hours during the day and settle for a quiet dinner again but I don't know. So lost. Never was very good at this social thing. Any help is appreciated. Please.
A prove of adulthood maybe???

Well like saintessheart said, you can hold your party at orphanage.
Or another alternative, try hold a BBQ party for neighbourhood...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 00:34   Link #6058
supermegasonic
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
I need help.

My 20th birthday is coming up in less than a month, and you know how it is with Asians, apparently it's something important.. anyway.. my parents insist I do something, my previous birthdays were nice quiet affairs, going out to dinner with family etc, but for this I'm supposed to call out friends and.. I don't know. Anti-social type here, thank goodness I at least have some friends, my dad said if I didn't have any he could call out loads of his and.. oh god the thought is enough to make me die, let's not dwell on that. My point is I don't know what it is people do, I mean I know apparently people have big parties with lots of drinking and stuff for 20ths?.. That's not me, no sir, ideally I can just do something quick for a few hours during the day and settle for a quiet dinner again but I don't know. So lost. Never was very good at this social thing. Any help is appreciated. Please.
karaoke? invite everyone over to play video games? i mean i doubt you'll go partying unless someone can force you..
__________________
supermegasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 10:14   Link #6059
romcom89
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
I'm from Germany and i have a question, how would you describe the words 'Spear us' in other words. Thanks for help
romcom89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 10:37   Link #6060
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by romcom89 View Post
I'm from Germany and i have a question, how would you describe the words 'Spear us' in other words. Thanks for help
impale
to push a sharp object through something

skewer
fasten together or pierce with a pin or skewer

pierce
to go into or through something, making a hole in it using a sharp point

Other suggestions:
lance, perforate, prick, puncture, transfix, run through
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
problem, q&a, questions, serious

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.