AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-07-21, 10:45   Link #1461
Rayrah
Femme Fatale
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Well, if SAO didn't pull the Heathcliff tweest and progressed slowly floor-by-floor, I'm sure we would have had this happen...

Quote:
Heathcliff: KIRITO! ASUNA! FIND AND ASSEMBLE THE REMAINING EIGHT UNIQUE SKILL USERS!!
Indeed. I wonder if there'll be anything about them in Progressive?
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 10:56   Link #1462
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Indeed. I wonder if there'll be anything about them in Progressive?
Well, Kirito is the 2nd 'Unique Skill' user known to the SAO population aside from Heathcliff.

There's of course the possibility that they've also kept their U.Skills hidden just like how Kirito did, but unless Kawahara wants to either...

- include more side-stories that expand on other clearer-class characters with unique skills
- introduce more characters to the secondary team ( eg. Klein, Egil, etc ) and have them be U.Skill users
- etc

Then we're never going to know who the other U.Skill users are.

Because there was no need to.
__________________
Night~and~Gale: ~ The Final Mythology of the Man who Defied Destiny.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 11:04   Link #1463
Rayrah
Femme Fatale
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Well, Kirito is the 2nd 'Unique Skill' user known to the SAO population aside from Heathcliff.

There's of course the possibility that they've also kept their U.Skills hidden just like how Kirito did, but unless Kawahara wants to either...

- include more side-stories that expand on other clearer-class characters with unique skills
- introduce more characters to the secondary team ( eg. Klein, Egil, etc ) and have them be U.Skill users
- etc

Then we're never going to know who the other U.Skill users are.

Because there was no need to.
Yep. There's also a slight chance that the people most likely to learn one of the ten unique skills died before or even after learning them.

I'd love new side stories that expand on other characters with unique skills. It's pretty unlikely, though.

And it's a damn shame. I was wondering what kind of other unique skills Kawahara could come up with? A whip sword or a gunblade would be pretty awesome (if not a little OP).
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 11:10   Link #1464
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Yep. There's also a slight chance that the people most likely to learn one of the ten unique skills died before or even after learning them.

I'd love new side stories that expand on other characters with unique skills. It's pretty unlikely, though.

And it's a damn shame. I was wondering what kind of other unique skills Kawahara could come up with? A whip sword or a gunblade would be pretty awesome (if not a little OP).
This is purely guess work, but given Kayaba's personality, I honestly believed that he would had set parameters so that only 'the worthy' would had been given the 9 unique skills. ( One reserved for him, obviously )

He clearly had this crazy roleplay story in his mind that the 'Dual Blades' user (whom he recruits and probably hopes to be the pseudo-leader/mentor of) being the 'hero would had discovered the treachery of their beloved and trusted leader' whom had manipulated them far into the game, probably with major sacrifices from their trusted allies... culminating in an ultimate duel of the young hero who had inherited the wishes of the deceased 8 unique skill users that allowed him to come that far vs the once trusted leader...

I may be off-track here and there, but clearly Kayaba was 'living the dream', and I can't imagine that he would've wanted his 'dreamy RPG story' destroyed by granting the unique skills to the unworthy.

I can't imagine that he didn't design the last 9 bosses of Aincrad specifically so that they could only be defeated by the sacrifice of each individual Unique Skill user. ( for the drama of manly sacrifice & tears )
__________________
Night~and~Gale: ~ The Final Mythology of the Man who Defied Destiny.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 13:56   Link #1465
Netto Azure
→ Asada Shino
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Great Void, Jötunheimr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Well, if SAO didn't pull the Heathcliff tweest and progressed slowly floor-by-floor, I'm sure we would have had this happen...

Quote:
Heathcliff: KIRITO! ASUNA! FIND AND ASSEMBLE THE REMAINING EIGHT UNIQUE SKILL USERS!!
Well the twist was bound to happen, but yeah if Kirito was a little bit slower and wasn't as sharp in catching Heathcliff's "quirks" then yeah...
Although another lovely quote right there. Fanfic fuel for pseudo floor 76-100?

OR...Who would be the final boss for New Aincrad anyways? O____o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
I can't imagine that he didn't design the last 9 bosses of Aincrad specifically so that they could only be defeated by the sacrifice of each individual Unique Skill user. ( for the drama of manly sacrifice & tears )
There was hints to this late into his monologue actually...not directly of course, but still very much a possibility. Plus considering that he expected to do the "reveal" by floor 95 it's pretty much close to that I think.
__________________
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 14:05   Link #1466
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Well the twist was bound to happen, but yeah if Kirito was a little bit slower and wasn't as sharp in catching Heathcliff's "quirks" then yeah...
Although another lovely quote right there. Fanfic fuel for pseudo floor 76-100?

OR...Who would be the final boss for New Aincrad anyways? O____o
Kirito. It's one of those things were the one who defeats the demon king becomes the demon king.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 14:25   Link #1467
Netto Azure
→ Asada Shino
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Great Void, Jötunheimr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Kirito. It's one of those things were the one who defeats the demon king becomes the demon king.
VAT A TWEEST.

Darn if a well known FF writer wrote that battle. My imagination just goes wild. XD
__________________
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 14:29   Link #1468
Craxuan
Crax
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: MY
But even in the original novel Kirito has been constantly hinted as someone who can turn dark anytime.
__________________
Craxuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 14:57   Link #1469
Awrya
U mad?
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Since unique skills allows greater use of already existing weapons (dual wielding two swords, attacking with sword&shield), it is more than likely there wasn't a gunblade skill
I could see a unique katana skill, <Illusionary Blade> that could somehow pull off F/SN assassin's 'Tsubame Gaeshi' and other attacks that are supposed to 'defy' logic.

This'd be epic, if Kirito&co arrive at the 100th floor only to find a buff&macho version called <The Black Swordsman>
__________________
Awrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 15:04   Link #1470
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craxuan View Post
But even in the original novel Kirito has been constantly hinted as someone who can turn dark anytime.
How so? He's a pretty classical hero. He cares about human life, he doesn't get angry easily, and even when he does he doesn't consider straight up murdering people. What, exactly, would predispose him toward the dark side?
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 00:51   Link #1471
astray71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordstriker21 View Post
How much do you want to know? I can give you a general outline of the Alicization arc but do tell if how much you want to be spoiled so I can adjust my answer
A brief outline so that I know what's going on and what will eventually happen. I'm currently on Volume 9, Prologue 2 and I can't see where this is leading. What's the VRMMORPG that will come up in this arc? Or will there be one? Any new characters introduced that join Kirito's group of friends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
How so? He's a pretty classical hero. He cares about human life, he doesn't get angry easily, and even when he does he doesn't consider straight up murdering people. What, exactly, would predispose him toward the dark side?
I don't remember any hints that said he could go to the dark side at anytime, but if you look at what he has to deal with psychologically, it is possible for him to snap. First, he left the first friend he made in-game (Klein) and has regretted it ever since. After the first floor boss fight, be basically took the hatred against beta testers away and focused it on the very small group of beaters. As a solo and beater, he feels that someone like him shouldn't be allowed to enjoy things like guilds and when he did join one, everyone dies and the leader commits suicide. I don't know about you, but that's a lot to put on a guy.

He also has the skills and knowledge to live on his own and PK. With the skills that he's "Mastered", he's like a bounty hunter or assassin of sorts: Ultra fast dual blade action, Parry, Searching, and Hiding. Sprint, Night Vision, Tracking, and Throwing weapons are all nearly maxed. He could kill you before you know what happened if you're out farming/grinding after dark.

P.S. Actually, I'm not sure if you could count "Tracking" because don't they have to be on your friends' list?
astray71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 02:23   Link #1472
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
By all indications, when he snaps he mostly becomes suicidal. Yeah, he'll fight those who get in the way of his suicide, but that's a far cry from him becoming some kind of real villain.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 07:40   Link #1473
kfcpanda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
I think the main point is that no matter what Kirito's skills are, at the end of the day his strongest skillset is VRMMO gamer, which is not a recognised skillset in the real world. He has a certain understandable level of angst about that.

That said, I would so totally love to be able to play GGO and earn part time income. Then I can show it to my parents. "See Mom, Dad. Playing games can give you income!"
Should check out http://henrysstories.blogspot.com/20...rt-1-of-5.html
Old story but akin to subject





Quick questions:

Is Chapter 16.5 (the smut one) canon?
It read to me as possibly fanfiction but at the same time in the same style as the actual story so I'm really confused...


Also:
I'm in no rush/hurry for the V10 translations but I'd be appreciative if someone could tell me at least what happens? All that I've heard is that Kirito comes back from the world. Anything resolved with Asuna/Asuna's parents?
Furthermore, someone mentioned something about the ending of the story/webcomic. Was that joking/about volume 10 or has the actual storyline been written out already on webcomics?
kfcpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 07:49   Link #1474
DurararaFTW
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
How so? He's a pretty classical hero. He cares about human life, he doesn't get angry easily, and even when he does he doesn't consider straight up murdering people. What, exactly, would predispose him toward the dark side?
He DID consider straight up murdering Klein. Had the Sacred Dragon Alliance not shown he might have. We aren't suppose to agree with his decisions to abandon Klein at the start, nor stay solo for so long. His lying quite unambigiously got the Black Cats killed, he admits that he did kill a few of the Laughing Coffins in anger. I mean, yeah they were a PK guild but it is indicated that Klein and Asuna who were there too got by without killing their opponents.

And anyway he's not in this to save people or even to escape, he in it to win and be the best at the game. In Novel 9, he admits that he could escape from the situation at any time by killing himself but he doesn't because he wants to beat the game. He's pretty messed up.
DurararaFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 07:56   Link #1475
Rayrah
Femme Fatale
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfcpanda View Post
Is Chapter 16.5 (the smut one) canon?
It read to me as possibly fanfiction but at the same time in the same style as the actual story so I'm really confused...
Yes, it is.

Quote:
Also:
I'm in no rush/hurry for the V10 translations but I'd be appreciative if someone could tell me at least what happens? All that I've heard is that Kirito comes back from the world. Anything resolved with Asuna/Asuna's parents?
Furthermore, someone mentioned something about the ending of the story/webcomic. Was that joking/about volume 10 or has the actual storyline been written out already on webcomics?
I'm afraid I can't tell you what happens during the final arc, but I do know a few details about the ending.

There's no web comic; what you're thinking of is the web version of the novels. And no, it wasn't a joke. It has already been written out, but there's a chance Kawahara will change the few things he might've felt weren't expanded on well enough.
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 08:12   Link #1476
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
He DID consider straight up murdering Klein.
Because Klein was getting in the way of his suicide. Which, yes, is messed up, but not really going to turn him into a full blown villain.

Quote:
Had the Sacred Dragon Alliance not shown he might have.
Or let himself be killed by him.

Quote:
We aren't suppose to agree with his decisions to abandon Klein at the start, nor stay solo for so long.
No, we're not. But the thing is, he doesn't agree with them either.

Quote:
His lying quite unambigiously got the Black Cats killed,
Their recklessness killed them.

Quote:
he admits that he did kill a few of the Laughing Coffins in anger.
In self-defense. Sure, he was angry at the time, but he'd also seen what happened to the suckers who didn't kill.

Quote:
I mean, yeah they were a PK guild but it is indicated that Klein and Asuna who were there too got by without killing their opponents.
We don't know if they killed or not, but according to Asuna, they were only able to survive at all because Kirito fought like he did.

Quote:
And anyway he's not in this to save people or even to escape, he in it to win and be the best at the game.
And yet, he's several times taken the time to help people. Time he could have used to level up.

Quote:
In Novel 9, he admits that he could escape from the situation at any time by killing himself but he doesn't because he wants to beat the game.
He also admits he isn't sure. I wouldn't want to suicide either in those circumstances.

Quote:
He's pretty messed up.
He feels guilty for stupid shit. That doesn't make him a villain.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 09:20   Link #1477
Sleep_ping
The Restless FTL
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ellinia
Age: 23
Let's face it, Kirito was guilty over his actions of not trying to warn his guild members, which got them killed, those the guild didn't help themselves out with the reckless stunt they pulled. A lot of crazy things can happen when you're guilt-riddled, especially when it's over your friends whom you got along for quite some time.

For Volume 10, well, I have to say that I still haven't gotten my copy yet, and I won't be able to make it to the bookstore for the next two weeks(not to mentioned internet access was removed from my work laptop...)

16.5, as much as I want to deny it, was from the web novel Kawahara-shi wrote in the past. Obviously, it was scrapped when Dengeki Bunko took over. The web novel was finished in 2009, and the current releases are mostly brushing up. However, from what I heard, volume 10 is mostly an expansion of a short mention in the web novel.
Sleep_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 09:31   Link #1478
DurararaFTW
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Because Klein was getting in the way of his suicide. Which, yes, is messed up, but not really going to turn him into a full blown villain.


Or let himself be killed by him.


No, we're not. But the thing is, he doesn't agree with them either.


Their recklessness killed them.


In self-defense. Sure, he was angry at the time, but he'd also seen what happened to the suckers who didn't kill.


We don't know if they killed or not, but according to Asuna, they were only able to survive at all because Kirito fought like he did.


And yet, he's several times taken the time to help people. Time he could have used to level up.


He also admits he isn't sure. I wouldn't want to suicide either in those circumstances.


He feels guilty for stupid shit. That doesn't make him a villain.
I'm not arguing he's a villain, I'm arguing he's not the unamigious Prince Charming classical hero.

As for your arguments. He wasn't there to commit suicide, he was there to get the resurrection stone. He can commit suicide anywhere, Klein in no way is capable of preventing this. Klein IS however capable of stopping himself from delivering a final blow to Kirito's HP personally and certainly would have, there are not a PK guild. And no, Kirito not telling his level, telling anything that he knew about the dungeon that they were in, one where he had been many times and of which knew all about the traps, instead all he said was "I just have a bad feeling", there's a gross amount of neglicience there, i dunno how you are unable to see this.
As for the the Laughing Coffins, Kirito and the rest of the Crusaders had them outnumbered and grossly outleveled. We were hardly told that Kirito only killed because his HP was in the red and he would have died otherwise. He feels guilty because he's been either the partial or direct cause of the deaths of 15+ players. That we know of. It was hardly all his fault, they were generally jerks or reckless in their own right but it's not the stupidest thing to feel bad over.

Last edited by DurararaFTW; 2012-07-22 at 09:52.
DurararaFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 10:06   Link #1479
noobita
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Well, if SAO didn't pull the Heathcliff tweest and progressed slowly floor-by-floor, I'm sure we would have had this happen...
actually, I would prefer the writer to write a reboot version where Heathcliff, Asuna, and Kirito and other major characters join forces and fighting to 100th floor.
__________________
noobita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 10:48   Link #1480
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craxuan View Post
But even in the original novel Kirito has been constantly hinted as someone who can turn dark anytime.
No, in the original novel he's a straight-up hero with a dark and troubled past that's only hinted at. The side stories expand on that and show that he not only could turn dark but actually did. However "dark" does not equal "villainous". He turned into a death seeker who probably would've met a miserable and unremarked end in some dungeon if not for Sachi's letter. He was never close to joining the Laughing Coffins or anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
I'm not arguing he's a villain, I'm arguing he's not the unamigious Prince Charming classical hero.
No, he's not Prince Charming, but he is Conan the Barbarian (the original from Robert E. Howard's stories, not the Ah-nuld version) until Asuna tames him.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, gaming, harem, kirito, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.