AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 40
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 17 34.69%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 9 18.37%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 10 20.41%
7 out of 10: Good... 5 10.20%
6 out of 10: Average... 3 6.12%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 2 4.08%
4 out of 10: Poor... 2 4.08%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 1 2.04%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 0 0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-21, 01:44   Link #221
Old_Iron
. . .
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Old_Iron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Okay, hypothetically speaking... what exactly would prevent Flit from infiltrating the colony like Asem did and going after a power source using the AGE-FX? It's not exactly difficult, as we've seen.
Perhaps some manner of lockout on the AGE-FX? That and what seems to be an increase of volatile behavior may get him a closer eye put on his actions.
Old 2012-07-21, 01:47   Link #222
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Send a message via AIM to Kuroi Hadou Send a message via Skype™ to Kuroi Hadou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Iron View Post
Perhaps some manner of lockout on the AGE-FX? That and what seems to be an increase of volatile behavior may get him a closer eye put on his actions.
Well, from the way Kio and Rody were talking, the FX was pretty free-style in how the pilot used it, so if anything the only thing that would stop Flit would be stopping him from getting in the cockpit in the first place.
Old 2012-07-21, 01:52   Link #223
Old_Iron
. . .
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Old_Iron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
Well, from the way Kio and Rody were talking, the FX was pretty free-style in how the pilot used it, so if anything the only thing that would stop Flit would be stopping him from getting in the cockpit in the first place.
...Can't we get a little security on our gigantic robots of epic destruction?

I mean, how hard would it be with the tech available to put in a lockout on certain individuals? Or rather, only certain individuals can pilot the thing.

Though a little security on the unstable grandpa might work too... >.>
Old 2012-07-21, 02:01   Link #224
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Iron View Post
Though a little security on the unstable grandpa might work too... >.>
That should be the easiest way, though locking the mobile suit should also be a standard.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 02:02   Link #225
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Technically it already does. The AGE Device has a biometric lock and password on it. Problem is, that biometric lock isn't gonna bar Flit from using it.
Old 2012-07-21, 02:04   Link #226
monster

Of course, locking a mobile suit also includes securing the key.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 07:43   Link #227
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

Well if Flit is still the genius engineer that the Vagans thought he was, then he should have no problem bypassing the security systems on the FX.
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 12:41   Link #228
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
While I'm sure you guys want to see Flit go postal and such you are fully aware that he already has his own upgraded Gundam for the inevitable final battle against the Vagans right?
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 12:45   Link #229
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

You are aware we were talking about a hypothetical situation and not just wanting to see Flit go postal, right?
Old 2012-07-21, 12:50   Link #230
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
You are aware that people since S2 have been grasping at straws trying to make Flit out as the villain and the big bad guy whose worse than Ezcelant? If that's even possible.

And for Flit to just snag the Gundam which he made personally for his kids is just out of character.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 15:21   Link #231
kakakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
You are aware that people since S2 have been grasping at straws trying to make Flit out as the villain and the big bad guy whose worse than Ezcelant?
That's just you and some couple of guys. And you're bringing it up every time I see someone talk about Flit.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 15:34   Link #232
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I don't think anyone (odd exceptions notwithstanding) have been calling him a villain or a big bad guy. We're just saying he's vengeful and wants to wipe out all of the vegans.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 18:29   Link #233
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Quote:
You are aware that people since S2 have been grasping at straws trying to make Flit out as the villain and the big bad guy whose worse than Ezcelant? If that's even possible.

And for Flit to just snag the Gundam which he made personally for his kids is just out of character.
"Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one "~ Nietzsche

I'll leave you with that qoute, hopefully you can get your head around that drop the whole "OMG Flit is a good guy Ezelcant's the monster" bull already.
Guy said he wanted to exterminate an entire race. That is wrong anyway you look at it, and if you think his past experience justify that kind of thinking you need to go see a shrink. Ezelcant had traumatic experiences too, yet you don't stand up for him do you? then stop trying to justify Flit. He.is.wrong. They've even made that blatantly obvious, Kio = Right. Flit = wrong.
Old 2012-07-21, 18:38   Link #234
galdr

Then I'd rather be wrong.

Genocide ending go go.
galdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 06:37   Link #235
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

There are no therapists in anime land though.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 13:14   Link #236
Liquidzero

Quote:
I don't see him as a good guy gone villain on the level of Sasuke, I find flit to be more endearing than Sasuke even though he's had less character development. Flit's definitely wrong and it looks like he's been set in his ways for over half a century, but despite this stance I think there's a possibility for him to change.

I don't hate Flit's character at all, but to say that he isn't genocidal right now is delusional. He's practically one of those stereotypical old southern white guys "the world would be better off if we killed all them n****rs!"

Seriously just put black people in the place of anything he's said about Vagans!
Liquidzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 14:50   Link #237
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidzero View Post

Seriously just put black people in the place of anything he's said about Vagans!
Flit is jaded for 56 years. His first impressions of Vegans is that of a psychopathic seven year old and a religious fanatic.

Back then he couldn't pull the trigger. He spared Decil because he is a child. That maybe one day he could get his head fixed. Scared the shit out of him though that war is not a game. On Gerra Zoi Grodek pulled the trigger before took his baiting. So Flit wont be a cold blooded killer.

But after all these decades the Vegans don't seem to get it, massacre after massacre, that if they destroy the people of Earth Sphere they'll be destroyed in turn. Mutually Assured Destruction. Problem is they are a cult around Ezelcant and wont listen to reason.

Well if Vegans can't be reasoned with well it is appropriate for an equal retaliatory response.

This is why MAD is so fucking scary. Nobody wins.

To Flit the Vegans has reached his Godzilla Threshold and after hearing from Kio that they are nothing more than idiots played with by Ezelcant, Vegans are just too dumb to live.

Last edited by ReddyRedWolf; 2012-07-22 at 20:06.
ReddyRedWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 19:13   Link #238
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidzero View Post
Don't think it's even remotely the same.

During his childhood he saw the Vagans murdered his mother and killing civilians.

In his teens he fought the Vagans on the front line and saw how the Vagans were brainwashed with ideology that even little kids will go around doing killings of innocent people.

In his forties as the commander of the Federation forces he knew the Federation had offered an olive branch to the Vagans for peace talk which the Vagans reject, and the Vagans continued their massacre of civilians and invasion plans which he again took part in stopping.

In his sixties the Vagans declared full on war on Earth and massacred civilians - you know just like how he had predicted they would. Then he heard from his grandson their cult leader's true twisted social Darwinain plan to "evolve" the human race with chosen people like the Nazis.

Really, has the Vagans shown any reasons for him to actually think they are redeemable? After 50 plus years of fighting the same enemies over and over, of which they are showing absolutely no signs of changing their methods or ideology, him being bitter is hardly comparable to being racist for absolutely no reason except for skin colour. The Vagan's concious action as a nation/group of people continuously declaring all out war on Earth has to take some responsibility in contributing to his hatre, unlike unreasonable hate for people just for skin colour which they have no control over.

I actually think Flit would be able to hold back if the Vagans completely surrender when Ezelcant is removed and just plainly abandon their identity as Vagans (so metaphorically speaking, they are all "gone"). The only reason he is genocidal now is because he sees no signs that the Vagans are going to change their ways or ideology of killing the people on Earth and taking it back.

Last edited by houkoholic; 2012-07-22 at 19:25.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 22:42   Link #239
Liquidzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Really, has the Vagans shown any reasons for him to actually think they are redeemable? After 50 plus years of fighting the same enemies over and over, of which they are showing absolutely no signs of changing their methods or ideology, him being bitter is hardly comparable to being racist for absolutely no reason except for skin colour. The Vagan's concious action as a nation/group of people continuously declaring all out war on Earth has to take some responsibility in contributing to his hatre, unlike unreasonable hate for people just for skin colour which they have no control over.

I actually think Flit would be able to hold back if the Vagans completely surrender when Ezelcant is removed and just plainly abandon their identity as Vagans (so metaphorically speaking, they are all "gone"). The only reason he is genocidal now is because he sees no signs that the Vagans are going to change their ways or ideology of killing the people on Earth and taking it back.
I also agree that I think Flit may possibly redeem himself, I think they're hinting at this with how both Asemu and Kio are confronting him as being wrong. While it's true he was misinformed as the guy in the first arc told him everyone was willing to die for the Vagan cause, to just sweepingly assert that the Vagans as are ALL evil and in need of extermination is completely unjustified. So let's go back to my original example, but in reverse. Say a black guy grew up with his mom and sister being raped and killed by white people, he's harassed by white cops, never had ANY good encounter with white people. So now he has a hatred of white people and wants them all to die. Even with this example I don't think he's justified in hating white people, we can understand WHY he would hate them, but just because everyone he's encountered has been bad that doesn't reflect the group as a whole.
Liquidzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 00:02   Link #240
ReddyRedWolf

Liquidzero the whole race card doesn't apply here. What part of Vegan is a sovereign state that declared a genocidal war on the rest of humanity do you not get?

Nazi Germany called their country Deutsches Reich because their people are Deutsche or as know Germans, Reich means republic. Imperial Japan calls itself Dai Nippon Teikoku (Great Empire of Japan) and calls its people Nipponjin or Nihonjin as we know Japanese.

Those two states had to be destroyed to remove the threat as a result its population and infrastructure are collateral damage.

The Martian colonists calls themselves just Vegan. No indication what sort of government it has given the name. But over the years it becomes clear it is a dictatorship with a personality cult of people isolated from the rest of humanity. Essentially Space North Korea.

The Martian state calls itself Vegan and its people Vegan.

Since this is a war between states and now super weapons are involved MAD applies.

For example if a Cold War goes hot a lot of collateral damage happens. If then the Soviet Union then attacked the US or NATO countries with nukes they'll be nuked in return, vice versa if the US or a NATO country attack with nukes.

If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?
ReddyRedWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion