AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-07-23, 10:08   Link #21
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Since Aincrad is the longest then why are we assuming that the writers will split it evenly with ALO? (Or why did they if we already know for sure?) They could very easily have split up to 15+9 and maintained good pacing.
The pacing so far has been consistent with Aincrad being 12 or 13 episodes. The only way I can see them stretching it to 15 is if they throw in Murder Case and an anime original story about the Laughing Coffins.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 12:23   Link #22
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Murder should be thrown in- if they threw in Aria, RNR and Black Swordsman, Murder is a very good prologue to the main arc. But that's my opinion. Then again, if Murder was given one episode only, perhaps not.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 16:18   Link #23
Hmm....
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post
Does anyone else think episode 3 would have been received much better had the producers bothered to stick with the sequencing of events in RnR?
Nope, I think an advantage the anime version has over LN one is that viewers expected Sachi to be recurring character. They expected her to be one of Kirito's harem member. Put a spoiler upfront that she is going to die at beginning of episode is a bad move. It will also add even more time skip into an already confusing episode. I believe this is correct decision from anime studio part.

I do believe, however, that this episode will recieved better treatment if they just cut the whole RNR deal out, the whole Xmas event things. They can just made this episode purely a Black Cat guild episode so they can introduced Sachi and killed her off more effectively.

I don't if this is really better solution. It will surely give birth to new complain but at least it will make the episode better IMO.
__________________
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 16:25   Link #24
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
at the rate the anime is going, i think they might be trying to cram in all 3 arcs in 24/26 eps.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 16:27   Link #25
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
That better not be true.. 2 arcs is more than enough..
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 16:51   Link #26
Hmm....
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
If that is true, they are even more ridiculously reckless than Kirito
__________________
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 19:42   Link #27
sky black swordman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
That better not be true.. 2 arcs is more than enough..
Agreed . And I doubt the author would agree to that think how bad the story maybe damaged because of it. They would ruin the anime.
__________________
Date A Live -Tohka Yatogami
sky black swordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 22:55   Link #28
Netto Azure
→ Asada Shino
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Space Battle Cruiser Gurokken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
If that is true, they are even more ridiculously reckless than Kirito
Leeroy Jenkins as an Ace maybe?

But yeah at this rate the first 12 episodes would be SAO arc, while next season would be ALO-GGO. Which is when I break and start babbling "rushed, rushed, rushed, rushed, rushed, rushed, rushed, rushed, rushed, rushed, rushed, rushed"

Then I'll snap out of it and be like "Heck yeah time for Caliber and Mother's Rosario!"

That aside, looking back this episode still conveyed much of the necessary feelings later, so that everytime Kirito has a flashback, there is a basis for it.
__________________
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 23:11   Link #29
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
naw... there's no way they can compress ALO and GGO into 12 episodes without completely demolishing both. It also doesn't make any sense to include GGO, which is a completely separate story that has no ties to either SAO and ALO.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 02:27   Link #30
Divini
Senpai!
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
As long as they do vol.1 well, that would make this anime great in my eyes.

At least they're 1/1 in that category. (episode 1)
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 09:03   Link #31
Heliopolis
hodie mihi, cras tibi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: the Netherlands
I guess we got "trolled" by episode 1 expecting a faithful adaptation.
How hard can it be.... They should have just used these 24-25 episodes to animate only the Aincrad arc, because there's more than enough (original source) material to make it an awesome and memorable anime.
With (inevitable) great sales they could expand the other volumes into (even) more seasons and get (even) more money...
But instead of this we get now two episodes in a row that are terribly rushed leaving a sour taste (for the LN readers) of yet another opportunity to animate some great original source material (seeing the SAO world and characters faithfully animated) probably flushed down the drain like many other LN's before (..) only because of these lousy (directing/storyboard) decisions the anime staff took the liberty of.
And for what reason..? Why cram as much as possible into the 24-25 episode format if the source material already reached vol.10?
I will never get these people (anime staff/studios) who have the nerve to f*** up great original content and giving us some rushed, butchered and fillerish (not yet in SAO) "crap" instead.
Heliopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 09:09   Link #32
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
We got "trolled" by episode 1? What?

You speak as if you represent those so-called "LN readers". Many of us are actually enjoying the anime adaptation; it's far from perfect, but it's still pretty good.

When you go in with asinine expectations, and expect a translation instead of an adaptation. You're definitely going to be disappointed by the end result.
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 09:23   Link #33
Irisu
フフリ
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanon78 View Post
I guess we got "trolled" by episode 1 expecting a faithful adaptation.
How hard can it be.... They should have just used these 24-25 episodes to animate only the Aincrad arc, because there's more than enough (original source) material to make it an awesome and memorable anime.
I will never get these people (anime staff/studios) who have the nerve to f*** up great original content and giving us some rushed, butchered and fillerish (not yet in SAO) "crap" instead.
When you compare an adaptation with its source, the latter tend to win by default. Deal with it.
Irisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 11:40   Link #34
Heliopolis
hodie mihi, cras tibi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: the Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
We got "trolled" by episode 1? What?

You speak as if you represent those so-called "LN readers". Many of us are actually enjoying the anime adaptation; it's far from perfect, but it's still pretty good.

When you go in with asinine expectations, and expect a translation instead of an adaptation. You're definitely going to be disappointed by the end result.
I don't represent anyone but myself. If you think it's pretty good ... I'm glad for you. That doesn't make my points any less valid. Anyway (I think) the adaptation is far from good (episode 2 and 3 are too rushed with serious pacing issues) but nonetheless still enjoyable because I'm (also) happy just seeing SAO animated at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeirin View Post
When you compare an adaptation with its source, the latter tend to win by default. Deal with it.
It has nothing to do with dealing with it, because it's nothing new and will continue to happen unfortunately.
The point I wanted to make is that it all depends on the ingenuity of the anime staff knowing the source material is already "gold" and thus it doesn't need any butchering, rushing/pacing issues and anime original filler/ending, because it will not do the original content justice.
Examples of good "faithfull" adaptations are Death Note, Monster and Cross Game.
Examples where they did not do the original content justice (for whatever BS reason) by taking some strange/mediocre adaptation liberties are Chrome Shelled Regios, Break Blade and Legend of the Legendary Heroes etc.

If you can't see the difference then by all means enjoy anything they give you...
Heliopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 12:05   Link #35
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanon78 View Post
I don't represent anyone but myself.
Then why did you say "we" and "(For the L/N readers)"?

Quote:
It has nothing to do with dealing with it, because it's nothing new and will continue to happen unfortunately.
The point I wanted to make is that it all depends on the ingenuity of the anime staff knowing the source material is already "gold" and thus it doesn't need any butchering, rushing/pacing issues and anime original filler/ending, because it will not do the original content justice.
Yes, it will continue to happen. And that's because that's how adaptations work. You make it sound like you want a translation (which is impossible), and not an adaptation.

Quote:
Examples of good "faithfull" adaptations are Death Note, Monster and Cross Game.
Your examples of good "faithful" adaptations are invalid in this case. Death Note, Monster, and Cross Game are all manga. Sword Art Online is a light novel series. There's a massive difference between those two entertainment mediums; the latter is much more difficult to adapt simply because there's more material to adapt, while the former is easier to adapt because a lot of the story is told through visual images. Of course, that's no excuse for a poor adaptation. Just because material gets cut doesn't imply, in anyway, that it's a poor adaptation. They simply can't leave it as is. That's not how adaptations work.
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 12:29   Link #36
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Your examples of good "faithful" adaptations are invalid in this case. Death Note, Monster, and Cross Game are all manga. Sword Art Online is a light novel series. There's a massive difference between those two entertainment mediums; the latter is much more difficult to adapt simply because there's more material to adapt, while the former is easier to adapt because a lot of the story is told through visual images. Of course, that's no excuse for a poor adaptation. Just because material gets cut doesn't imply, in anyway, that it's a poor adaptation. They simply can't leave it as is. That's not how adaptations work.
Fate Zero, Haurhi and the monogatari series.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 12:35   Link #37
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Fate Zero, Haurhi and the monogatari series.
Yes, yes; I know. That wasn't directed at you, though.

I can't speak for the other two, but I know that a lot of content got cut from the anime adaptation of the first seasons of the Monogatari series. It's just not a lot of people are familiar with the novels, so not many complain about the material that got cut.

There seems to be some kind of idea that if a studio axes material, than the adaptation is suddenly poor.
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 12:42   Link #38
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post

There seems to be some kind of idea that if a studio axes material, than the adaptation is suddenly poor.
Horizon cut a lot of side material form in anime adaption and the LN readers here on AS absolutely love the anime. It is not whether something gets cut but how it is cut. Or in SAO ep3, the pace was jarring considering the anime never show why Kirito join the BC or why he was so far form the front line.
I re-watch ep3 and i am beginning to agree with nightengale that ep3 should have been cut and partially anime as flashback. Maybe release as a OAV in the BR disc.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 12:51   Link #39
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Horizon cut a lot of side material form in anime adaption and the LN readers here on AS absolutely love the anime. It is not whether something gets cut but how it is cut. Or in SAO ep3, the pace was jarring considering the anime never show why Kirito join the BC or why he was so far form the front line.
I re-watch ep3 and i am beginning to agree with nightgale that ep3 should have been cut and partially anime as flashback. Maybe release as a OAV in the BR disc.
I just wish more people would understand this (bolded part).

The pacing in episode 3 isn't perfect, but it also isn't downright terrible. If you think it is utterly horrible, that's fine. It doesn't mean that it actually is though, as this is a subjective matter. I will say that the side story is partially to blame.

What's done is done. I don't care for "what if"s, "could've"s, or "should've"s.

Last edited by Rayrah; 2012-07-25 at 19:51. Reason: typo
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 19:50   Link #40
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Fate Zero, Haurhi and the monogatari series.
On the other hand, Toradora fit ten books into 25 episodes with room for a side story and two filler episodes, while Hyouka manages to be both faithful and coma-inducing.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.