AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-07-23, 10:40   Link #22621
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Cash probably doesn't mean physical cash. Like, I doubt they had a trunk of $100 bills that they handed over. It's most likely a wire transfer, but the stipulation was that it be paid all at once, rather than in payments or with stock or assets.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 10:59   Link #22622
Tom Bombadil
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Cash probably doesn't mean physical cash. Like, I doubt they had a trunk of $100 bills that they handed over. It's most likely a wire transfer, but the stipulation was that it be paid all at once, rather than in payments or with stock or assets.
That sounds like a logical explanation. Pardon my ignorance of the business world, I don't know what other means there are to pay for such a large sum of money. Do they accept US bonds?
__________________
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 15:03   Link #22623
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Prosecutors, regulators close to making Libor arrests
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...86L0CC20120722
Then Congress will step in and apologize for inconveniencing the job creators.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 18:25   Link #22624
AnimeFan188
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Sally Ride, first US woman in space dead at 61:

"Sally Ride, the first American woman to journey into space, died on Monday after
a 17-month battle with pancreatic cancer, her foundation announced. She was 61.

Ride first launched into space in 1983 aboard the Challenger shuttle, taking part
in the seventh mission of US space shuttle program."

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/sally-ride-fir...212809122.html
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 18:43   Link #22625
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Well...she lasted longer than Challenger or the Space Shuttle Program.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 19:01   Link #22626
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
What's up dock? Apple to shrink connector for iPhone 5
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...86M07320120723
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 10:15   Link #22627
Zakoo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gensokyo
Another revolution for Apple.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 10:24   Link #22628
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
What's up dock? Apple to shrink connector for iPhone 5
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...86M07320120723
They actually have a good *technical* reason for doing this.. .but marketing-wise it is going to be painful and make a lot of people angry who have invested in all the connector doodads.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 10:32   Link #22629
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
They actually have a good *technical* reason for doing this.. .but marketing-wise it is going to be painful and make a lot of people angry who have invested in all the connector doodads.
Hopefully someone will develop a 19-to-30 pin connector so everything will work without needing further upgrades.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 12:57   Link #22630
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Why don't they just use microusb, like everyone else...

Of course! It would mean they wouldn't be able to charge 30$ for cables worth less then 2$
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 15:29   Link #22631
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Actually you can buy the cables cheap........if you know who to contact.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 15:41   Link #22632
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Actually you can buy the cables cheap........if you know who to contact.
Yeah, though I shouldn't be too hard on Apple, all electronics stores overcharge on cables.

Once I was trying to buy a HDMI cable in New York, I thought "It's a basic cable, how hard could it be?" I went into niche shops, I went into superstores like Best Buy, couldn't find a cable for less then 20$, with many going up to 40, 60 or 100 dollars! I then went online and found one for $1, and it's been working well for over 2 years.

Cables are a big racket.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 15:52   Link #22633
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
Age: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Cables are a big racket.
That they are, and don't ever buy Monster Cable brand.

Endless "Way overpriced" Soul
__________________
VF-19 and VF-22S from Macross Plus
Signature by ganbaru
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 15:59   Link #22634
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
That they are, and don't ever buy Monster Cable brand.

Endless "Way overpriced" Soul
I even saw one of the blueshirts at BestBuy advise a guy to buy the more expensive one because it had"higher fidelity". I should have intervened, but I was too stunned.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 16:03   Link #22635
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I even saw one of the blueshirts at BestBuy advise a guy to buy the more expensive one because it had"higher fidelity". I should have intervened, but I was too stunned.
0s and 1s don't really care if the cable is simple twisted-pair CAT5 or if it's some fancy-schmancy silver-plated oxygen-free copper marketing malarkey.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 17:05   Link #22636
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
CBO: Court ruling cuts cost of health-care law, but leaves 3 million more uninsured
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...56W_print.html
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 18:57   Link #22637
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Yamabuki Art High School
Age: 65
It is exactly those states with the highest proportions of uninsureds that have dingbat Republican governors like Rick Perry who won't take the Federal Medicaid handout on ideological or partisan grounds. Fully a third of Texas adults between 19 and 64 years of age do not have any health insurance. That won't change much when the ACA comes into effect in 2014 because Texas won't take the Medicaid money or set up insurance exchanges. Republican administrations in states like Florida (29%), Mississippi (27%), Louisiana (25%) and South Carolina (25%) also have joined in this mini-revolt. All of them have uninsurance rates for adults above the national average of 22%.

I've been doing some research into these variations in state coverage rates. Three factors have especially strong relationships with variations in coverage -- the level of statewide unemployment, the distribution of employment across job categories, and the level of unionization of private industry in the state. All of these make intuitive sense in a system like America's where access to health insurance for working-age adults depends directly on employment and not just on citizenship. Unionization in particular has remarkably powerful effects, probably because unionization rates in America are so low, averaging a little under eight percent of workers in private employment.
__________________

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-07-24 at 19:41.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 19:18   Link #22638
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
It is exactly those states with the highest proportions of uninsureds that have dingbat Republican governors like Rick Perry who won't take the Federal Medicaid handout on ideological or partisan grounds. Fully a third of Texas adults between 19 and 64 years of age do not have any health insurance. That won't change much when the ACA comes into effect in 2014 because Texas won't take the Medicaid money or set up insurance exchanges. Republican administrations in states like Florida (29%), Mississippi (27%), Louisiana (25%) and South Carolina (25%) also have joined in this mini-revolt. All of them have uninsurance rates for adults above the national average of 22%.
don't blame rick perry, blame the people who voted him in.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 19:45   Link #22639
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Hopefully someone will develop a 19-to-30 pin connector so everything will work without needing further upgrades.
The rumor is that Apple will be providing an adapter for the cable types so that old connectors and certain accessories will be usable with the iPhone 5.
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 20:38   Link #22640
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
The rumor is that Apple will be providing an adapter for the cable types so that old connectors and certain accessories will be usable with the iPhone 5.
......at an additional cost.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.