AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-07-24, 21:19   Link #22641
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
......at an additional cost.
Yes, the price is rumored to be $10 per adapter. It's not cheap, but as far as Apple's adapters go, that would be fairly cheap for them.
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 22:18   Link #22642
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Yes, the price is rumored to be $10 per adapter. It's not cheap, but as far as Apple's adapters go, that would be fairly cheap for them.
I hope those Apple nuts wake up their ideas and stop buying products from them. I am quite tired of having to address people who bought Macbooks and want all the functionality of Windows or Android.

And they don't know how to partition and install Windows; why the heck do people buy things they don't know how to use or modify?
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 00:00   Link #22643
flying ^
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Smackdown !

Los Angeles City Council votes 14-0 to ban "medical marijuana" shops



There are a crapload of these dispensaries... way more than needed. They have bogus doctors in adjacent offices who will write anyone a prescription. It's ridiculous how many of these joints have popped up
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 00:21   Link #22644
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
Age: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
Los Angeles City Council votes 14-0 to ban "medical marijuana" shops



There are a crapload of these dispensaries... way more than needed. They have bogus doctors in adjacent offices who will write anyone a prescription. It's ridiculous how many of these joints have popped up
I see what you did there.

Endless "no nickname today" Soul
__________________
VF-19 and VF-22S from Macross Plus
Signature by ganbaru
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 01:35   Link #22645
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
And if they'd just legalize and regulate it like cigarettes and alcohol, all this zaniness would go away...
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 04:47   Link #22646
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Bu how many than build their career o the war on drug would lose their job .
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 04:53   Link #22647
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
And if they'd just legalize and regulate it like cigarettes and alcohol, all this zaniness would go away...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Bu how many than build their career o the war on drug would lose their job .
Precisely. Those who wage the "war on drugs" have a vested interest in making sure that war never ends...
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 13:07   Link #22648
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18987678

I'm in the lazy mood, so while trying to watch Carl Lewis' making history, I accidentally stumble into the above article. Don't know if she had any chance at winning any medal, but I sure wonder where she will go from here in the future. I sure hope it's not politics.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 14:13   Link #22649
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sochen Cave Palace
Age: 64
If things go badly in Greece, as I fear they may, I would expect to see Golden Dawn improve its position politically. She'd make a fine candidate for them. She certainly has the looks, and now she has become a cause-célèbre. Italy has Alessandra Mussolini, though she obviously has a more "distinguished" political heritage. Maybe Ms. Papachristou will make this list? Russian beauty Alina Kabaeva was an international gymnast with Olympic medals before joing Putin's United Russia party.

I wish they'd give the political affiliations for all the women on that list. This very thread includes a posting by aohige with some of the gravure shots of number three on that list, Fujikawa Yuri, but no mention of what party she belongs to. I'd also replace Yulia Tymoshenko, whose star has rapidly faded to say the least, with another head of state, Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra. She, too, has a political heritage, and some would say she is just a stalking horse for her brother. I know nothing about Thai politics to judge the accuracy of that criticism.
__________________

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-07-25 at 19:16.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 18:33   Link #22650
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I hope those Apple nuts wake up their ideas and stop buying products from them. I am quite tired of having to address people who bought Macbooks and want all the functionality of Windows or Android.

And they don't know how to partition and install Windows; why the heck do people buy things they don't know how to use or modify?
It sounds to me like your frustration is with the fact that people are asking you for help with an operating system and class of devices that you lack familiarity with. Here's my version of what you said:

I haven't used Windows extensively since Windows XP. I don't like fielding requests to repair installs of Windows Vista or Windows 7, because a lot of it is foreign to me now. If these people don't even know the basics of how to lock down their system, keep it secure, and use anti-malware software, why are they buying them?
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 21:04   Link #22651
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
It sounds to me like your frustration is with the fact that people are asking you for help with an operating system and class of devices that you lack familiarity with. Here's my version of what you said:

I haven't used Windows extensively since Windows XP. I don't like fielding requests to repair installs of Windows Vista or Windows 7, because a lot of it is foreign to me now. If these people don't even know the basics of how to lock down their system, keep it secure, and use anti-malware software, why are they buying them?
I have met so many people who have a text document labelled "passwords" on their computers, un-updated antivirus software and some who lock their systems with the password hints as their password that another computer tech friend of mine asked me why I had so much patience in dealing with such people.


I admit I do only have rudimentary troubleshooting knowledge of Macs, and I do seriously expect people to read up on what they are going to buy before going to someone else when it broke. Never buy anything you can't fix or don't want to bother with the new object's high learning curve.

One more thing : I used Windows 7 quite extensively. The only 21st century OS I had problem with is Vista.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 22:34   Link #22652
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
You'll be happy to know I've seen actual "Password Journals" being sold in book and stationery stores. A page for each account or website where you can write all your special codes.... I saw that and thought about setting fire to the display...
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 22:40   Link #22653
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You'll be happy to know I've seen actual "Password Journals" being sold in book and stationery stores. A page for each account or website where you can write all your special codes.... I saw that and thought about setting fire to the display...
You could volunteer to test those experimental rail carbines from your employer at A51......

Seriously though, sometimes I don't know why people buy tech products just because it "looks" good on the surface, rather than reading in-depth to its functionality. Maybe I am just being a hyporcrite because I restarted my hobby of buying figurines simply because they are adorable and the legal hegemons are clamping down on invitations of marriage.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 23:05   Link #22654
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I admit I do only have rudimentary troubleshooting knowledge of Macs, and I do seriously expect people to read up on what they are going to buy before going to someone else when it broke. Never buy anything you can't fix or don't want to bother with the new object's high learning curve.

One more thing : I used Windows 7 quite extensively. The only 21st century OS I had problem with is Vista.
The remark about Windows wasn't an effort to put words in your mouth. I was speaking for myself. The point was that, as a Mac user, I can experience the same things that you do with servicing machines from "the other side."

To make a long story short, I perceived you to be Apple-bashing. Macs, Windows, Linux - these are all tools, and bashing any of them is foolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You'll be happy to know I've seen actual "Password Journals" being sold in book and stationery stores. A page for each account or website where you can write all your special codes.... I saw that and thought about setting fire to the display...
That's actually not a bad idea. Let's face it, the general threat that most people face is having weak passwords that can be broken by brute-forcing or other methods. Having all of your passwords written somewhere represents a huge security risk, but it's easier for many people to manage and may encourage them to go with more challenging passwords. Put it in a locked drawer, and the average person is good to go.

I can't really criticize that approach, either, because over the past year or two I've been using OS X's built-in password storage (Keychain). I forget a number of passwords, open Keychain, type in my account password to reveal the stored password, and then use it. Break into my user account (which has a strong password, but it's still one password) and you have access to a bunch of stuff.

Granted, I choose not to store passwords or other login information to sensitive websites (bank and such), but in principle it's not so different.
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 23:25   Link #22655
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
The remark about Windows wasn't an effort to put words in your mouth. I was speaking for myself. The point was that, as a Mac user, I can experience the same things that you do with servicing machines from "the other side."

To make a long story short, I perceived you to be Apple-bashing. Macs, Windows, Linux - these are all tools, and bashing any of them is foolish.
Can I perceive you to be a Apple zombie too?

The reason why I don't like Apple products is their strategy is so cultishly represented and products are grossly overpriced, as well as they are a image symbol of "wealth and professionalism" when most of their users are representatives of bread and circuses. Working in an outsourced
parts provider reinforces that - they often try to undercut suppliers by abusing long term conracts at a barely profitable price.

Apple-bashing is done to knock sense into people's head that a computer is simply a utility tool, you don't have to splurge on an Apple when you are in the lower end of the income spectrum. It never ceases to irritate me when a fellow man asks me how to rework his IPad for customer presentation when he or she could have used a simpler Iconia or Qosmo, and at the same time run the company software instead of having to buy another laptop for it.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 23:43   Link #22656
Azuma Denton
~AD~
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Then you are bashing the wrong segment...
Dont hate the tool, hate the cult that makes the product hateable...


Some of the cult believes that apple product is where the non-geek invest in terms of "Computer" and "Gadget"
Other tools are just for tech-geek...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 23:56   Link #22657
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Then you are bashing the wrong segment...
Dont hate the tool, hate the cult that makes the product hateable...


Some of the cult believes that apple product is where the non-geek invest in terms of "Computer" and "Gadget"
Other tools are just for tech-geek...
You got what I mean.

In fact I do hate people who refuse to figure out or at least find out the computer products they have bought. If it is financial products like insurance or invest I can unserstand the lack of motivation to understand it, because the policy wordings are crafted to work both ways and are naturally ambiguious, but a computer? It is only a whole mass of wires and boards; how messy can it be compared to a mutual fund portfolio?
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 00:04   Link #22658
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Can I perceive you to be a Apple zombie too?
Can I perceive you to be someone who follows trends because expressing dislike for a company and people who use its products is totally the coolest thing to do now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
The reason why I don't like Apple products is their strategy is so cultishly represented and products are grossly overpriced, as well as they are a image symbol of "wealth and professionalism" when most of their users are representatives of bread and circuses. Working in an outsourced
parts provider reinforces that - they often try to undercut suppliers by abusing long term conracts at a barely profitable price.
The "overpriced" argument has been repeated for years now, and it's no longer true. What Apple lacks is a "bottom dollar" option, but their products are generally price-competitive with products that compete at a similar level.

But value is completely subjective. So you know what? If you don't see the value in it, don't buy it.

I used to have the time and desire to modify nearly every aspect of my computer. Built it myself, did fun things to Windows, changed components, changed Windows, crashed Windows, put it back together... you get the idea. I don't have time for any of that anymore, nor do I care to do it. Since my family switched over to OS X I've fielded significantly fewer technical support requests, and most of the fixes are easy. I've had fewer issues to contend with on my end, too, although I know that Windows has been maturing since I switched over.

I still run Windows through a virtual machine, although it's rare that I need to do it. Has all of this been worth it to me? Yes.

Macs as "a symbol of wealth and professionalism"? Maybe in Singapore. I still hear that one parroted by Americans, too, but it's quickly fading out, because it's no longer true (if it ever really was). I won't deny that some people view Apple products as a status symbol, because people like that must exist. But most Apple users? Not in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Apple-bashing is done to knock sense into people's head that a computer is simply a utility tool
If you really viewed it as a utility tool, you'd the idea of bashing it to be fairly ridiculous. It'd be like debating over sledge hammers and claw hammers. They're hammers. Doesn't that sound ridiculous? That's what Apple bashing sounds like to me. So I'm sorry, Saintess, but while I understand where you're coming from, I don't think you're being totally honest - either with me, or with yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
you don't have to splurge on an Apple when you are in the lower end of the income spectrum.
Well, fiscal irresponsibility applies to more things than just buying an Apple product. I agree with you that it's disappointing to see people spending money that they don't have or that they shouldn't be spending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
It never ceases to irritate me when a fellow man asks me how to rework his IPad for customer presentation when he or she could have used a simpler Iconia or Qosmo, and at the same time run the company software instead of having to buy another laptop for it.
I take it you have no experience with iPads, then, but you would know how to configure an Iconia or a Qosmo. I'm sorry that you have to put up with that frustration, but that's a poor reason to dump on Apple, Apple products, and users of Apple products.
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 00:12   Link #22659
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I take it you have no experience with iPads, then, but you would know how to configure an Iconia or a Qosmo. I'm sorry that you have to put up with that frustration, but that's a poor reason to dump on Apple, Apple products, and users of Apple products.
I think his point is that they're a lot cheaper than iPads, and up to the task.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 00:16   Link #22660
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 31
Quote:
but their products are generally price-competitive with products that compete at a similar level
To me that reads as "Priced to compete with similar overly marked up products because of its name tag." Like Alienware PCs. Apple has good marketing, but their products have been far to restrictive in the past, that is changing slowly though. However you still need to use Bootcamp for a bulk of applications. Bit of research and know how you can build yourself something way better than any of the brand name guys for way cheaper.
__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.