AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2012-06-08, 19:17   Link #61
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Just thinking about the posssible challenges the mother and her children would be facing would feel like I'll gonna love this... aside from romance, and ecchi anime. I go for inspirational movies like Miyazaki's... I'll definitely watch this no matter how it was animated.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 19:53   Link #62
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
And I'm back from the premiere.

Now Hosoda already got a huge round of applause from the crowd of about 500 people when he was introduced before the movie but he got one huge standing ovation and cheers were heard when the movie ended.
So maybe I'm just high from all this euphoria but this is definitely my new favorite Hosoda anime.

Just forget all this "next Miyasaki" talk,Hosoda is Hosoda,period.He's got his style and trademarks. Notably still shots that he really uses in clever ways with characters going on and off the screen for comedic,dramatic or surprise effect.
Of course that doesn't mean that the "camera" never moves,a look at the trailer will show you otherwise (and even a movie like TGWLTT has the memorable Makoto running towards Chiaki scene near the end of the movie) but it really does make those shots stand outs,not to mention that when the camera does pan it can be in really creative ways such as one of my favorite sequence in the movie.I know all this is really vague but I guess all I'm trying to say is what I was saying at the beginning: Hosoda is Hosoda and I hope this movie will further drive that point home.

That said I felt this movie had something his previous ones didn't: a really great OST done by Takagi Masakatsu.Of course that's partly due to the fact the Hosoda really relies on the OST more this time,notably in the early parts of the movie where there's actually very little dialogue.

As for the actual story,I won't really get into it but the trailers really don't show much,and I feel it's best that way.Now obviously one major theme is parenthood and Hosoda said the movie was a tribute to all mothers in the world,but remember that the title characters are the children and they're also very much main characters,watching them develop as they grow up is one of my favorite part of the movie.

I really have no issues with the movie,I felt the character developement of Ame was just a bit rushed but that's just a really minor nitpick if I really have to find one.
Old 2012-06-25, 22:50   Link #63
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

You all lucky french basterd ;__;
Old 2012-06-26, 00:22   Link #64
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Stop hyping this so much. I don't want to be disappointed!
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 01:19   Link #65
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's not disappointment that worries me with Hosoda at the helm, it's the interminable waiting. The French get an awful lot of good stuff when it comes to anime.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 08:44   Link #66
OPN

I'm really looking forward to seeing this. I loved hosodas past films and this one sounds even better then SW. Hopefully it wont take long for this to be released here in america.
Old 2012-06-27, 04:06   Link #67
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Stop hyping this so much. I don't want to be disappointed!
I'm really trying not to hype it too much

Even went on the lookout for some negative feedback somewhere but I'm having a hard time finding any,of course it being a premiere the audience were already fans, so in some ways I guess the positive reaction is to be expected, he's pleased people that already liked his work,we'll have to wait and see if he's able to capture more people with this movie.

A couple of spoilerless trivia from the Q&A with Hosoda (japenese--->french----> english translation so hopefully nothing much got lost in translation):

-He first got the idea for the movie 3 years ago while he was still working on summer wars, he wanted to do a movie about bringing up children but felt that that alone wasn't enough,that's where the "wolf children" idea came in,he's fond of wolves and thinks they're missunderstood, often only portrayed as cunning and violent when in fact they can also be delicate and care about others.He thinks that in some ways they're close to humans.

-The country side you'll see in the movie is based upon the region Hosoda grew up in.They were looking over different regions to use and it was the first time he had been back there since he left highschool,he thought he knew the region well but by going back he discovered he didn't and working on the movie made him fall in love with the region all over again.

I'll go over the movie again in more detail,no major plot points (appart from 1 thing but it's in the synopsis),just a broad description of the movie and its themes but I'll put it under spoiler tags in case someone wants to go in completely blind

Spoiler for movie:

I'll finish with something I'm sure was evident to everyone but the visuals look great,there is some CG (notably the opening shot) but it's never intrusive.There's some great facial animation as well with some close ups that last a long time and it's up to the animators to express the character's emotion.

Can't wait to see it gain(but I'll have to!!).

Last edited by totoum; 2012-07-03 at 22:01.
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 01:48   Link #68
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Anyone have any info when will the bd/dvd for this movie come out? I'm really looking forward to watch this, but sadly buying the dvd/bd is my only hope to watch it.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 11:54   Link #69
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
Anyone have any info when will the bd/dvd for this movie come out? I'm really looking forward to watch this, but sadly buying the dvd/bd is my only hope to watch it.
I'm guessing around christmas,not sure how big the gap between theatre/DVD release is in japan.

However in one week there'll be a special promo dvd with the first 12 minutes of the movie released,so we'll have to be on the lookout to see if it pops up on the net.
Old 2012-07-14, 16:38   Link #70
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Spoiler for Saving space:
This actually makes me slightly more excited to see it. Thanks for taking the time to talk about it again, totoum. It was insightful.
Old 2012-07-15, 00:59   Link #71
brocko

To all the Aussies around here. This film along with 3 others coming to selected theaters throughout September!

http://www.madman.com.au/reelanime/

More info to come later, but that's the film list for now.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 07:48   Link #72
Ansalem
Speaker

Went to see this today and it was terrific. The two halves of the film each have a distinct feeling but leaves you feeling very attached to all the characters. The first is slow, romantic, cute, and touching, followed by a great portrayal of the kids' self-discovery of their identity. The art was beautiful, with fabulous voice acting and a great sound track. Significantly different from the two previous films from the director but has his touch for sure, with some of the same nostalgic feeling from Toki wo kakeru shoujo. Definitely recommend it.
Old 2012-07-22, 15:00   Link #73
Appel

speaking of the great soundtrack, i want it. badly. especially the theme from the trailers.
Appel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 12:20   Link #74
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appel View Post
speaking of the great soundtrack, i want it. badly. especially the theme from the trailers.
Not sure if that's what you're after but the movie's theme is out,don't think I can give download links though.

If I understood correctly the movie grossed 333 million yen in its first weekend at the box office after the movie was released in 381 theatres (compared to 127 million first weekend for summer wars after it was released on 127 theatres), so Hosoda's becoming more and more mainstream.
Old 2012-07-24, 18:58   Link #75
sa547
*Author

http://www.tokyohive.com/2012/07/jap...july-21st22nd/

Knocked down Pixar's Brave to fifth place.
Old 2012-07-24, 21:57   Link #76
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

France? Yes, theatrical release.
Austrailia? Check.

America? Screw you!
Old 2012-07-24, 22:29   Link #77
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
France? Yes, theatrical release.
Austrailia? Check.

America? Screw you!
You're in SF. Sweet talk New People into showing it in their theater.

http://www.newpeopleworld.com/about-contact/
Old 2012-07-25, 00:52   Link #78
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
You're in SF. Sweet talk New People into showing it in their theater.

http://www.newpeopleworld.com/about-contact/
New People's theatre isn't run by Viz anywmore - the SFFS took it over last year. Anime may as well be from Mars as far as they're concerned. If we're lucky, they may show one 4 year-old Ghibli feature during the Children's Film Festival.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2012-07-25 at 10:38.
Old 2012-07-25, 05:32   Link #79
anigu
Game maker

Well then, I will gladly wait for the Blu-ray release ;_;
anigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 21:54   Link #80
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Btw, for those in Singapore, the opening date is Sept 6 2012.

http://sg.movies.yahoo.com/Wolf%20Children/movie/17114/
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote