AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-07-25, 07:32   Link #21
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Though I like Nanoha, I wouldn't bring up Nanoha as an example of a believable human being, never mind a believable female. (I'd levy that argument against most of the Nanoha cast, anyway, at least during the original and A's; I thought StrikerS was quite a bit better with characterization.) I actually found Usagi to be quite relatable and believable, minus the cutely exaggerated crybaby persona towards the beginning, and she does mature quite a bit over the course of the series; she's really only whiny during Classic, and by Stars is quite mature and womanly.
Ya know, a year ago, I might have agreed. But I've found lately, that young kids *can* be really mature if raised right and given the chance. Young kids can take care of each other and be fairly smart and wise. It all depends on if the parents baby the kid, or let them stand on their own. I have a feeling Nanoha's parents did the latter.

And given her experiences that we see in flashbacks, We see how several of her traits developed.

Usgai... collapsed crying in the street in the first episode because she saw a Sailor V poster and didn't think she'd ever be as cool as that. Even after getting her powers, she collapses and cries a lot. That is a realism of some teenage girls, too, but I'd argue just as few Nanoha's.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 10:25   Link #22
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Ya know, a year ago, I might have agreed. But I've found lately, that young kids *can* be really mature if raised right and given the chance. Young kids can take care of each other and be fairly smart and wise. It all depends on if the parents baby the kid, or let them stand on their own. I have a feeling Nanoha's parents did the latter.

And given her experiences that we see in flashbacks, We see how several of her traits developed.

Usgai... collapsed crying in the street in the first episode because she saw a Sailor V poster and didn't think she'd ever be as cool as that. Even after getting her powers, she collapses and cries a lot. That is a realism of some teenage girls, too, but I'd argue just as few Nanoha's.
I guess maturity varies from person to person which is why it baffles most of us that Nanoha is capable of being that mature at such a young age.
Old 2012-07-25, 13:23   Link #23
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
It all depends on if the parents baby the kid, or let them stand on their own. I have a feeling Nanoha's parents did the latter.
I do agree that parents that are completely casual about their third grade daughter joining the military and engaging in brutal fights to the death probably aren't especially protective, yes; though in this case I'd consider Nanoha's parents to be leaning too far in the other direction. >_> I think parents who baby their children are probably better than parents who go "Okay honey, have fun joining a rather shady military organization we've never heard of and fighting horrible demons and aliens" as though Nanoha just asked to have a sleepover at the next-door neighbor's house.

My problems with the characterization of the Nanoha series goes far beyond Nanoha herself, though; but I don't have enough time to explain myself today. I will return tomorrow!
Dr. Casey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 13:42   Link #24
Destined_Fate

Characters that aren't trouble by anything at all are hard for me to become interested in, so no. I don't like characters that don't have just a little bit of angst. After all, it makes them more relate-able. Just like how a character with too much angst isn't really my cup of tea either.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 18:04   Link #25
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I do agree that parents that are completely casual about their third grade daughter joining the military and engaging in brutal fights to the death probably aren't especially protective, yes; though in this case I'd consider Nanoha's parents to be leaning too far in the other direction. >_> I think parents who baby their children are probably better than parents who go "Okay honey, have fun joining a rather shady military organization we've never heard of and fighting horrible demons and aliens" as though Nanoha just asked to have a sleepover at the next-door neighbor's house.

My problems with the characterization of the Nanoha series goes far beyond Nanoha herself, though; but I don't have enough time to explain myself today. I will return tomorrow!
I don't want to turn this into a Nanoha chat, but... Nanoha's family is far from normal. If you are aware of what went on in Triangle Hearts, then you won't find Momoko nor Shiro's attitude at all unusual. Let's just say, they understand secrecy and aren't the type to wail "I can't let my precious baby endanger herself!"

Please note that Nanoha became a magical girl in the Triangle Hearts universe, too, and dealt with fairly heady subjects (gangrape for starters).
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote