AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2012-07-27, 11:16   Link #21
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
They should just do what anime studios do; just have English subtitles and an English distribution website. As in, don't bother try to mass-market it in the West when there isn't a large market anyway. Make it available for English speakers to buy the game from them directly.

As far as I can tell, the only people who would buy the game are those who already know what Project Diva is. So they can just use viral marketing and leave the rest to the internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
I doubt is too awkward to localize. This is music game. While it is nice to have English version to understand the music. i don't think it stops anyone to enjoy music, even if they don't understand it. Sega can provide subtitle anyway.

i doubt translation cost of Diva F is expansive. They can easily cover even if thousand is been sold. Assuming it been sold digitally to ignore retail cost (and sega situation is not that bad)
Like I said, the target market for PD is a no brainer, but the problem lies elsewhere. I don't agree with the analogy with anime editors selling their licenses without english dubs, as the products themselves are basically cut for anime fans in general, so the lack of dubs is largely less detrimental than for a video game (which is the very reason why you very rarely see any game without any english dubs nowadays).

It isn't really like you need to understand lyrics to enjoy music, but from a marketing and purpose perspective, having completely foreign songs being hardly understandable for those who don't have Japanese knowledge wouldn't work (it will surely bug a lot of people who would like to directly understand what they hear).

Subs and all are obviously not expensive to implement, but you must take in consideration that you don't have much possibility to read the lyrics while playing, which make the purpose a bit moot (while there are lyrics for original JP games, it only supplement what they actually listen already, while foreigners would have to pick the subs thoroughly if they don't get Japanese at all).

In theory, PD is absolutely not difficult to introduce to the western market. In practice, it hardly sounds as profitable as fans might think, from a company perspective.
Of course, since US got a concert in LA last year, it doesn't sound that unreasonable for us. But I can see why Sega is carefully testing the waters first before doing anything (prime example: Miku Flick, and PD f E3 demo). If anything, if Vocaloid 2 series is released in English later as Crypton promised before, that could definitely change their mind.

Quote:
By the way, I haven't heard anything about Sega being in financial trouble. And anyway Miku is one of their profitable properties right now.
Lots of projects being canned for low cut consoles (primary example: Valkyria Chronicle switching to PSP for 2 and 3, without any plan of localization for 3) hints a little bit, but it is more like the recent decision of closing Sega Europe offices left and right that doesn't bode too well.

Generally speaking, Sega franchises are far less healthy than years before, with a tendency of leaving things to team like Sonic Team, which doesn't have its original prime rep nowadays.

That's why I'm not exactly surprised Sega is going full force with sure hit franchises like Project Diva, but at the same time, the company isn't really in a safe position, and recent issues in Europe make things even more complicated. Although I don't think Sega will have any trouble in Japan, it is a complete different matter in the west.
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 11:56   Link #22
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

is not like PD design for "western" gamer to begin with. even if somehow they manage to put english version of the song in. i doubt many of normal westerner will look at this game thanks to anime art. pretty sure western miku fan have no problem with sub only

beside this is not first time Sega do sub only game released. Yakuza is and somehow they still localized it
Old 2012-07-27, 12:02   Link #23
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

*sigh* Like I said, Miku/PD fans wouldn't have trouble with the game to begin with. The problem lies with the profile of the game for a company that would rather have a larger audience to offset the expense (Marketing cost tons of money, you also have the royalties towards Crypton and also every single composers etc). Again, the whole point is to break through the niche and get more than just "initial anime/miku/PD" fans, to which is unlikely without a proper localization.
That's why I can see why Sega is being cautious about that, which is especially -because- the market isn't for westerner, making the whole deal even less profitable (we aren't talking about making profit per se, as I doubt they would manage to get themselves in the negative side, rather that they would consider the profit not satisfying, a bit how Namco did after Symphonia, before finally returning with Abyss 3DS and Graces).

And no, Yakuza is no evidence whatsoever: it is basically one of the very few exceptions in the whole pool of games from Japan. For each game like Yakuza, you have fairly much more games in dual audio or dub only.
Old 2012-07-27, 14:52   Link #24
kayos
RETIRED

Quote:
Demon soul also PS3 exclusives
I know, that's why you haven't seen Demon's Souls on anything but the PS3. Dark Souls on the other hand is not exclusive to the PS3 because Sony doesn't own the rights, unlike Demon's Souls.
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 16:50   Link #25
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
I know, that's why you haven't seen Demon's Souls on anything but the PS3. Dark Souls on the other hand is not exclusive to the PS3 because Sony doesn't own the rights, unlike Demon's Souls.
then what stop tekken being on PC? only reason that i can think is that little to no fan ask for it
Old 2012-07-27, 17:08   Link #26
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
then what stop tekken being on PC? only reason that i can think is that little to no fan ask for it
fighting games had never been popular on PC. You need a game pad at a minimum to play properly, and of course ideally a joystick. So the main market had always being consoles.
Old 2012-07-27, 17:30   Link #27
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
fighting games had never been popular on PC. You need a game pad at a minimum to play properly, and of course ideally a joystick. So the main market had always being consoles.
well no denying that. but if there is enough fan that one tekken on PC. pretty sure NB will do it.
Old 2012-07-27, 17:41   Link #28
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

I can see another risk with releasing the game in the west now. Reverese importing.

PD being a musical game has no language barrier and people naturally, Japanese included, will tend to go for the cheapeset possible edition. Which will of course eat into Sega's profit margin.
Old 2012-07-27, 17:50   Link #29
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
I can see another risk with releasing the game in the west now. Reverese importing.

PD being a musical game has no language barrier and people naturally, Japanese included, will tend to go for the cheapeset possible edition. Which will of course eat into Sega's profit margin.
if they do released it. i expect it for next year anyway
Old 2012-07-27, 17:58   Link #30
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:

Which is why I say they should just bundle in subs and sell it as an export product, priced in yen.
Old 2012-07-27, 18:32   Link #31
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Which is why I say they should just bundle in subs and sell it as an export product, priced in yen.
What does seem to go aganist the whole point of western localization, if you ask me.

You know what might work here ? A "Best Of" complilation featuring selected tracks from the 2 previous PSP titles released digitally for the PS3 using the Dreamy Theater graphics.
Old 2012-07-27, 18:48   Link #32
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
What does seem to go aganist the whole point of western localization, if you ask me.
If you mean "accessing the entire Western market", then no. Miku cannot do that. Diva cannot compete with global franchises. This is a niche product, and should be marketed as one. There is NO millions of potential customers in the West for Diva games. Low cost subs and word of mouth marketing is the only way to stay profitable.
Old 2012-07-27, 19:11   Link #33
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
If you mean "accessing the entire Western market", then no. Miku cannot do that. Diva cannot compete with global franchises. This is a niche product, and should be marketed as one. There is NO millions of potential customers in the West for Diva games. Low cost subs and word of mouth marketing is the only way to stay profitable.
Perhaps I should have used the word "translation" or "interpretation". It's like what Klashikari said, comprehension of the lyrics isn't essential to enjoying the game itself. The selections in the menu can be understood by trial-and-error.

If you really want to know everything in regards to the songs, I'm sure that translations of the lyrics had already been done before as majority of them are released free on the net prior ro being featured in the game.
Old 2012-08-09, 22:57   Link #34
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Nyanyanyanyanyanyanya!

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Images
Moar Costume

Images
Old 2012-08-17, 10:51   Link #35
videoman190

some new updates!

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/08/17...aloid-renders/

YouTube

YouTube
videoman190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 13:24   Link #36
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

For those who missed that, Black Rock Shoot is part of the playlist (quite surprising it took them so long to put it in PD series)

YouTube

However, for some weird reasons, Tell your World isn't in there... perhaps a DLC.
Old 2012-08-29, 13:31   Link #37
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女

Well....plenty of the Arcade songs aren't in there too....like Nightmare Party Night for example
Old 2012-08-29, 13:33   Link #38
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

I'm actually not surprised there isn't that much songs from the arcade, in order to make both series worthwhile (even if the gameplay is quite different).
That said, "mainstream" hits being not included is sort of weird (BRS being introduced only starting with f, but not in 1, 2nd or Extend was rather odd already).
Old 2012-08-29, 16:07   Link #39
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Got my copy of the game today in the mail from Play Asia. I've only played through the tutoral (to learn about the touch screen functions that will be utilzed in the game) and one song so far, but I do plan to play more later tonight.
Old 2012-08-29, 23:03   Link #40
VampirePaladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
Got my copy of the game today in the mail from Play Asia. I've only played through the tutoral (to learn about the touch screen functions that will be utilzed in the game) and one song so far, but I do plan to play more later tonight.
Are any of the derivatives in it?
VampirePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote