AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-ON! The Movie - Rating
Perfect 10 44 51.76%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 28.24%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 12.94%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.71%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.18%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.18%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-07-28, 01:00   Link #861
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
I think I found the key to the trouble.

Quote:
"I never got it."
And that would be why you did not enjoy it. Simple and to the point.

That and judging by how critical you've been of this series in the past, you should have known better. Though I wonder why you seemed to like it early on (7/10 near the beginning episodes, yet 1/10 by season two).
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2012-07-28, 01:06   Link #862
trenton_dawn
Silt
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
If you can't digest a very negative opinion on this movie, I suggest skipping over this post to save yourself grief.
I do agree with your thoughts about the London trip, there wasn't really anything done with the setting other than a few gags with the girls' Engrish.

I started off reading the K-ON manga back when it first came out and also felt like I had been tricked into reading a manga that wasn't about music at all, but I thought it was pretty cute and felt like it wasn't a dealbreaker. Nowadays I guess I've finished with expecting a music focus from K-ON (I was actually surprised by how many songs were in the movie).

One thing I disagree with is that I don't think it's disingenuous to music or musicians. Sure, we never see them practice but at least it's implied that they do, and the songs are simple enough that it's mostly believable that a high school band could play them. As we all know, the practice never gets shown because the target audience doesn't even care (just like in a series focused on music we wouldn't see any tea time). But maybe I'm biased because K-ON happens to resonate with me and inspire me to play (I couldn't wait to pick up my guitar after watching the movie, ha ha).
__________________
Looking for K-ON sheet music?
Master List of K-ON tabs
-------------------------------
trenton_dawn is offline  
Old 2012-07-28, 02:18   Link #863
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
K-On! was about the "in betweens" (as the author/artist Fred Gallagher of Megatokyo puts it) - those moments in between the big stuff... or in this case often the practice itself or the big performances. When the series first aired, I was sort of hoping for a "song a week" like the Monkees did in their live-action series (new music video most episodes) -- but finally settled in especially after Azusa arrived and added some grit to those moments.

By the end of the franchise, I had indeed gotten quite a pile of songs from the series, from the character CDs, etc. so I can't really complain too much other than it would have been cool to see more of the songs animated.

I can't really dispute Reckoner's review because its his subjective assessment after watching the movie. I am, frankly, impressed he watched it because there's no way I'd sit through a couple of hours of, say, Gundam Frolick or Naruto-tastic
Vexx is offline  
Old 2012-07-28, 03:37   Link #864
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
And that would be why you did not enjoy it. Simple and to the point.

That and judging by how critical you've been of this series in the past, you should have known better. Though I wonder why you seemed to like it early on (7/10 near the beginning episodes, yet 1/10 by season two).
Well I am a much different anime fan than I was back then to say one thing. I would say around that time I wasn't very comfortable with moe in general, and so I didn't get the concept of a series that aimed to give this feeling to its audience. That so much isn't the case today, but even after this time with a new perspective I didn't like it for the aforementioned reasons.

As for why my ratings took a dive like that, false advertising is a strong force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton_dawn View Post
One thing I disagree with is that I don't think it's disingenuous to music or musicians. Sure, we never see them practice but at least it's implied that they do, and the songs are simple enough that it's mostly believable that a high school band could play them. As we all know, the practice never gets shown because the target audience doesn't even care (just like in a series focused on music we wouldn't see any tea time). But maybe I'm biased because K-ON happens to resonate with me and inspire me to play (I couldn't wait to pick up my guitar after watching the movie, ha ha).
Much of my reason for being hard here is because of a VN I played called Kira Kira which actually had a similar thing going on with a group of people in a high school making a band which consisted of all girls (cept the main protagonist which is the main difference, but there is a twist to this). The way they showed them getting into music was very light hearted as well, but they actually really delved into what it means to be in a band and how the characters really got into the task they were doing.

Basically, I've seen this sort of story done SO MUCH better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I can't really dispute Reckoner's review because its his subjective assessment after watching the movie. I am, frankly, impressed he watched it because there's no way I'd sit through a couple of hours of, say, Gundam Frolick or Naruto-tastic
Don't lose bets to people who will make you do things you don't like !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
*skip*

phew. Thanks for the warning!
Oh you .
Reckoner is offline  
Old 2012-07-28, 05:32   Link #865
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Making metal ... for fish
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I also have to note why people in London were portrayed like the biggest weirdos ever. I mean c'mon now, I know Japanese people tend to not be very good with foreign countries but this sort of ridiculing portrayal of foreigners has got to stop. I usually forgive TV more for this since well they don't got the budget and stuff, but this is a goddamn movie and they can't actually do a better job here? Worst the engrish still exists and they can't get proper english speakers? Give me a break.
The English speakers are all native, though their lines do sound a bit phoned-in. And while the people in London are portrayed a bit stereotypically; what gets me is that every one of them is about seven feet tall.
__________________
Go into the water. Live there. Die there.
GMT is offline  
Old 2012-07-28, 07:53   Link #866
Goggen
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
If you can't digest a very negative opinion on this movie, I suggest skipping over this post to save yourself grief.
No grief here. I'm not at all bothered by your movie-review-turned-generic-K-on!-rant, in fact I was a little amused by how you hit all the traditional notes ("It's not about music"... you don't say! ) but I do take issue with this one point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I also have to note why people in London were portrayed like the biggest weirdos ever. I mean c'mon now, I know Japanese people tend to not be very good with foreign countries but this sort of ridiculing portrayal of foreigners has got to stop. I usually forgive TV more for this since well they don't got the budget and stuff, but this is a goddamn movie and they can't actually do a better job here? Worst the engrish still exists and they can't get proper english speakers? Give me a break.
...because I'm sorry, but "subjective opinion" can only excuse so much nonsense. Exactly where in the movie were Londoners portrayed as "the biggest weirdos ever"? Who are you referring to? The cab driver who couldn't read their minds and ended up driving them to the wrong hotel? The helpful receptionist? The stage manager who couldn't pronounce "Ho-kago" correctly, much like any native English speaker not familiar with Japanese? There's the sushi bar owner who mistook them for a different band, I suppose, so that's possibly one.

I gotta say, it's quite funny that you'd complain about "Engrish" when they did in fact cast native English speakers. They weren't all good actors, I'll say that much, but there was no Engrish. Apart from that of the Japanese characters, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Short answer: I was tricked
Uh-huh. Sure you weren't bound and gagged and had your eylids forced open as well?
__________________
KEION!GEEK - a K-On! fan blog
Goggen is offline  
Old 2012-07-28, 08:22   Link #867
teh_nubkilr
Senior Member
*IT Support
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Well if you really want to know what i meant by that, I got tricked by friends into watching it. Not that it really matters. However I do have a strong opinion about this franchise.
Being asked to watch something against your will is relevant to discussion. I said to my friends that my review is merely an opinion...whereas I would recommend it, I would not force them to watch it.

I will continue to contend that only a qualitative review is truely subjective; a quantitative review requires a set of standardised criteria, and would contribute to my lack of usage. For online poll, such as those found here, the values I give aren't based on a cumulative score based on a set of criteria, but rather, a percentile. For me, 9/10 means "better than at least 90% of things I've seen".
teh_nubkilr is offline  
Old 2012-07-28, 08:55   Link #868
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
@Reckoner - I'm curious as to what exactly you felt made the English people in this movie "weirdos"? I certainly didn't feel like the K-On movie went out of its way to cast the Brits in a bad light. I mean, some anime go full-blown national stereotypes in how they portray the "Gaijin" of various nations, and I didn't see any stereotype like that here. I mean, it's not like they gave the Brits terrible teeth or anything. like that. And I honestly was shocked that they didn't have a scene about tea where the K-On girls' love of tea gets complimented by Brits since, you know, Brits love their tea. So yeah, I felt this movie was much more respectful than most anime productions in how they portrayed people from non-Japanese nations.

Now, I did find it a bit strange that you had a lot of scenes where HTT are speaking 90% (or more) Japanese to the Brits, and the Brits are speaking 100% English back. It's kind of like watching people speak pass one another. It was kind of weird to see this continually go on, and both sides just sort of intuit what the other side meant.

I kind of expected the girls to be clinging tightly to an English/Japanese dictionary, and using it to form short, concise (and a bit clunky, but understandable) English sentences. What we got instead was a bit strange, although in fairness I haven't personally dealt with language barriers like this much in life.

Is this what you mean by the Brits seeming weird? Because otherwise, I think the movie just presented them as generally mellow, friendly, welcoming people. If anything, I thought it was a pretty positive assessment of the Brits.


Anyway, some of your other criticisms I agree with, but those same issues didn't bother me quite as much. Ultimately, how much a person likes the K-On Movie will depend a lot on how much that person likes its characters. This is a very character-focused work - Plot and Setting are occasionally important, but they're not consistently important like Characters are.
__________________
Triple_R is online now  
Old 2012-07-28, 10:19   Link #869
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Making metal ... for fish
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
@Reckoner - I'm curious as to what exactly you felt made the English people in this movie "weirdos"? I certainly didn't feel like the K-On movie went out of its way to cast the Brits in a bad light. I mean, some anime go full-blown national stereotypes in how they portray the "Gaijin" of various nations, and I didn't see any stereotype like that here. I mean, it's not like they gave the Brits terrible teeth or anything. like that. And I honestly was shocked that they didn't have a scene about tea where the K-On girls' love of tea gets complimented by Brits since, you know, Brits love their tea. So yeah, I felt this movie was much more respectful than most anime productions in how they portrayed people from non-Japanese nations.

Now, I did find it a bit strange that you had a lot of scenes where HTT are speaking 90% (or more) Japanese to the Brits, and the Brits are speaking 100% English back. It's kind of like watching people speak pass one another. It was kind of weird to see this continually go on, and both sides just sort of intuit what the other side meant.

I kind of expected the girls to be clinging tightly to an English/Japanese dictionary, and using it to form short, concise (and a bit clunky, but understandable) English sentences. What we got instead was a bit strange, although in fairness I haven't personally dealt with language barriers like this much in life.
To be fair, the girls generally understand what's being said to them. Mio gets it perfectly right . . . as long as someone else is talking back to the natives (and as long as the plot doesn't temporarily nerf her translation skills, like what happened at the sushi bar. ) And when they talk back, they throw out the English they know, and then gamely fill in the rest with Japanese.

I have seen this sort of language barrier before. Living in the U.S. border states with Mexico, I've encountered a number of first generation Latino immigrants or residents. They'd sometimes try the English words or phrases they know and then fill in the rest with hopeful Spanish. Only when it becomes clear that I don't have the foggiest notion of what they might be asking for, do they go and get their six year old kid to translate for them.

When I was growing up, my father managed an automotive repair shop; and you'd see that sort of "talking past each other" thing on both sides of the counter. My father learned certain Spanish phrases and words, and he'd use a combination of those phrases and English to try to convey a point to Mexican customers in the case the shop's more Spanish-fluent employees were out to lunch, out sick, out test-driving a customer's car, or having a smoke break.

So . . . yeah, the interactions between the girls and the natives felt credible to me.
__________________
Go into the water. Live there. Die there.
GMT is offline  
Old 2012-07-28, 10:31   Link #870
Night_Music
The End of Light
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Well, I was about to post my insights on the movie, but it seems that I have to give my say about some of the things prevailing recently. (you know this).

Well, I have a few friends who actually say the same thing. Please don't take it negatively.

"I never got it." This explains everything. Saying something sucks just because you don't understand it is quite "shallow". Plus if you know from the start that you would hate the experience of watching it, then you would do everything to free yourself from the 2 hours of watching some nonsense plotless movie involving cute girls, and their silly antics in some foreign country. Why bother wasting 2 hours of your time? Save yourself the horror. (I almost broke though the door, just to escape from watching Justin Bieber's, Never say Never movie.)

It's like having your own flavor preference in ice cream. You could go ahead and rant "vanilla contains lots of fats", and "vanilla is too boring of a flavor", but at the end of the day, it wouldn't change the fact that vanilla is my favorite ice cream flavor.

There is no single franchise that will please everybody. That's just the way it is. We all have our own preferences on what is good and what is painful. I do respect your opinion. Doesn't really bother me if you don't like it, because I know people who hates the series.

But I have a feeling that you merely focused on the "bad side" of the movie, not recognizing some good aspects in it as well (someone who hates the series typically do). Then again, we both have our preferences, so what may be good to me might be horrible in your perspective. I'm not forcing you to like the franchise, but rather give light to some facts which I think is necessary.

Just my 2 cents. I was to give my insights about the movie, but I'll just do it later.

Last edited by Night_Music; 2012-07-28 at 10:44.
Night_Music is offline  
Old 2012-07-28, 10:47   Link #871
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
It is entirely possible to talk past someone using the same language. All you need is widely different accents and colloquialisms. I've seen a Californian have to translate English to English because it was really Texan accented English to Scottish accented English, in Scotland.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2012-07-28, 11:10   Link #872
teh_nubkilr
Senior Member
*IT Support
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Reckoner: I am quite curious to know if there were any redeeming points about the movie from your perspective. You maintain that you've "seen worse", but that's hardly a satisfactory response. Again, your review is indicative of a lower score. Since you have given it a 3, I'm now looking for a justification of that: none of that "I've seen worse" business, but rather, what aspect, no matter how trivial, that made the movie a 3 instead of a 1.
teh_nubkilr is offline  
Old 2012-07-28, 15:23   Link #873
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
...because I'm sorry, but "subjective opinion" can only excuse so much nonsense. Exactly where in the movie were Londoners portrayed as "the biggest weirdos ever"? Who are you referring to? The cab driver who couldn't read their minds and ended up driving them to the wrong hotel? The helpful receptionist? The stage manager who couldn't pronounce "Ho-kago" correctly, much like any native English speaker not familiar with Japanese? There's the sushi bar owner who mistook them for a different band, I suppose, so that's possibly one.

I gotta say, it's quite funny that you'd complain about "Engrish" when they did in fact cast native English speakers. They weren't all good actors, I'll say that much, but there was no Engrish. Apart from that of the Japanese characters, of course.
I felt there seemed something very off about the English speakers. A bit monotone and uninspired, and for some reason they seemed to talk quieter than our Japanese VA's which is a bit of why I couldn't even tell they were native. I've been to London, I know how British people speak there and to me I didn't really feel they talked like London citizens at all. Granted my use of the term engrish is probably going too far since it wasn't exactly that, so I'll correct myself there.

Anyways, I felt the English people throughout the movie either were acting really stupid (Like the sushi guy or the "BRAVOOO" man) or just seemed completely devoid of life. They didn't breath any air into the culture, they didn't even feel like human beings. It was a foreign land, but the movie seemed to forget these are actually people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_nubkilr View Post
Being asked to watch something against your will is relevant to discussion. I said to my friends that my review is merely an opinion...whereas I would recommend it, I would not force them to watch it.
Not really relevant to what my opinion is here, my opinion wouldn't be any different if I never knew about K-ON before and randomly waltzed in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_nubkilr View Post
I will continue to contend that only a qualitative review is truely subjective; a quantitative review requires a set of standardised criteria, and would contribute to my lack of usage. For online poll, such as those found here, the values I give aren't based on a cumulative score based on a set of criteria, but rather, a percentile. For me, 9/10 means "better than at least 90% of things I've seen".
It's just a number. The words are what's more important here. And no, I don't agree at all with this line of thinking, but seeing as this is off topic lets not go here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
@Reckoner So yeah, I felt this movie was much more respectful than most anime productions in how they portrayed people from non-Japanese nations.
Read above. But in any case they certainly could've done much worse. Rather than downright insulting, it was more like a disappointing exploration of another culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
@ReckonerNow, I did find it a bit strange that you had a lot of scenes where HTT are speaking 90% (or more) Japanese to the Brits, and the Brits are speaking 100% English back. It's kind of like watching people speak pass one another. It was kind of weird to see this continually go on, and both sides just sort of intuit what the other side meant.
Well these are the scenes I kind of felt were portraying the Brits like blubbering idiots. While on one hand I realized this was supposed to be a joke, the way a guy would suddenly be like "RICE!!!!!" it also makes it seem a little too foolish for my POV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
@ReckonerI kind of expected the girls to be clinging tightly to an English/Japanese dictionary, and using it to form short, concise (and a bit clunky, but understandable) English sentences. What we got instead was a bit strange, although in fairness I haven't personally dealt with language barriers like this much in life.

Is this what you mean by the Brits seeming weird? Because otherwise, I think the movie just presented them as generally mellow, friendly, welcoming people. If anything, I thought it was a pretty positive assessment of the Brits.
I'm not trying to state something like "this isn't what happens in real life!" I just didn't appreciate the portrayal of the culture of the Brits in general, especially having been there. I think there's a whole lot more to their culture and its people than that, and this was an opportunity to go past the typical "Oh weird foreign land and weird foreign people" and actually show some culture to Japan. I see it mostly as a missed opportunity.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
@ReckonerAnyway, some of your other criticisms I agree with, but those same issues didn't bother me quite as much. Ultimately, how much a person likes the K-On Movie will depend a lot on how much that person likes its characters. This is a very character-focused work - Plot and Setting are occasionally important, but they're not consistently important like Characters are.
Of course characters can make or break a show. I never liked Yui and always thought she dragged down the show a bit for me. I did like Mio originally and I do like Azu-nyan to a point, but the chemistry of the entire cast together is what is at play here and so it's hard for me to get into the fun of it in the first place.

However I will say that one of the problems I mentioned, which is something I commented on about towards the end of Working!'s second season was that the humor ran past its comedy lifetime (The parts that ever could be amusing to me like Mio's personality to get constantly frightened of things for example which is still being played nonstop in this movie). It was too much of the same IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Music View Post
"I never got it." This explains everything. Saying something sucks just because you don't understand it is quite "shallow". Plus if you know from the start that you would hate the experience of watching it, then you would do everything to free yourself from the 2 hours of watching some nonsense plotless movie involving cute girls, and their silly antics in some foreign country. Why bother wasting 2 hours of your time? Save yourself the horror. (I almost broke though the door, just to escape from watching Justin Bieber's, Never say Never movie.)
Now I see where that quote came from because I actually bothered to look, and my my it seems to be taken quite a bit out of context.

I said that I never got what the exact importance of music was to this story. And I still don't, the main story of the franchise being told here could've swapped out the hobby for just about anything and I feel the crux of the enjoyment for most of the fans (As Vexx put it, the "in-betweens") would not have changed. Basically it never relied on it. Yes this is a criticism that has been done to death (Although I think for me it's fair since I was perpetrating this since this show aired a few episodes in), but I still think it's a valid question to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_nubkilr View Post
Reckoner: I am quite curious to know if there were any redeeming points about the movie from your perspective. You maintain that you've "seen worse", but that's hardly a satisfactory response. Again, your review is indicative of a lower score. Since you have given it a 3, I'm now looking for a justification of that: none of that "I've seen worse" business, but rather, what aspect, no matter how trivial, that made the movie a 3 instead of a 1.
Since you seem so hung up on it.

Above average production values
I don't hate the entire cast, I mentioned liking Mio and Azu-nyan.
Wasn't downright insulting, just boring.

If you're curious what actually would earn a lower score from it's something like the Unlimited Blade Works movie, which calling it a movie in the first place is too kind since it was more a slide show than anything.
Reckoner is offline  
Old 2012-07-28, 18:58   Link #874
Eater of All
NOM
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Outside the Asylum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Music View Post
Plus if you know from the start that you would hate the experience of watching it, then you would do everything to free yourself from the 2 hours of watching some nonsense plotless movie involving cute girls, and their silly antics in some foreign country. Why bother wasting 2 hours of your time? Save yourself the horror. (I almost broke though the door, just to escape from watching Justin Bieber's, Never say Never movie.)
But critics have the obligation to watch anything that is popular, even if there's a 90% chance that it will royally suck for them.
Eater of All is offline  
Old 2012-07-28, 22:22   Link #875
teh_nubkilr
Senior Member
*IT Support
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
But critics have the obligation to watch anything that is popular, even if there's a 90% chance that it will royally suck for them.
Being a critic would be a depressing job, given that one would be watching things that don't suit them and walking in expecting this to already be the case I'll stick to analysing dense volumes on determinants of health and complaining about limitations in that: when I'm watching shows, I prefer things that make me happy, and the K-On! Movie does just that
teh_nubkilr is offline  
Old 2012-07-29, 07:36   Link #876
Night_Music
The End of Light
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Yes, critics are "OBLIGED" to read/view etc. the material, even if it would make him vomit halfway through, because it's his job. Not like in this case, where he is "FORCED" to watch it. There's a difference. (btw, I feel that this argument has nothing to do with the issue at hand)

And yes, I'm feeling that this series focused less on "music", and more on the portrayal and presentation of the characters, which in any case, doesn't bother me. It's all a matter of understanding the central idea that the series want to send off to the masses. If it doesn't meet your expectations, then this series is not for you, as simple as that.
Night_Music is offline  
Old 2012-07-29, 12:26   Link #877
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_nubkilr View Post
We'll be deviating from the topic, so let's agree that Reckoner presented an assessment of the movie in an exceedingly poor manner and leave it at that.
People are allowed to have varying opinions, particularly if they take the pains to explain them. Lockstep this forum isn't.


Quote:
I concur: the purpose of K-On! is the depiction of everyday lives of a closely-knit group of friends, with music forming the initial framework for unifying them. I sure as heck didn't walk in expecting the entire series to be about the music
No, but quite a few of us were expecting a series about a light music club to have *some* music. We eventually got it but there was considerable expectation for something that might include a "tune a week" or perhaps a music video sequence every few episodes. You are just being revisionist if you don't think a lot of viewers weren't disoriented for the first 4 or 5 episodes. I love the series, I enjoyed the movie ... but it didn't mean I was goggle-eyed from the start.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2012-07-29, 13:01   Link #878
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
O_O I've never seen the need to debate arbitrary rating numbers to such detail. I mean, what's the difference between a 6 and a 8 or an 8 and a 10? Or a 7 and a 8.253532. It's just abstract representations of a feeling. Personally, for me, it works on a tiering scale, so the ones that have provided the highest level of enjoyment get a 10, and we work our way down. But as I see new things, this rating ends up changing even though the anime didn't, so it has its problems. But I don't care-- other people would. What works for one doesn't work for other people. I've long been a proponent of changing the rating scale to letter grades so people would understand it better, but that's just too trivial of an issue, and any extra discussion deserves its own thread.

Though personally, I'd never rate anything a 1 if I managed to complete it unless it was truly offensive or something. I think there's some value in something lasting long enough for you to finish it, in and of itself, though others will disagree. However, this is why I always think nobody should ever feel forced to watch anything. Since entertainment cannot exist with that, the rating must be low no matter how fair one attempts to be. This late in a series, I guess many have a point in knowing what to expect though it's also possible expectations fell through the floor. I just cannot understand taking a sunk cost mindset towards entertainment. However, I will have to accept that people do feel that they have to finish what they started, and just have to respect it.

I guess there are also other reasons to watch something (everyone loves Kyoani visual quality, and I might sample it myself despite not being interested in the main series.) A movie tends to work well as a sample; I know someone that watched only the Haruhi movie and not the series, and enjoyed it greatly. And that's arguably the worst way to watch the series.

Also, from the nature of the post, Reckoner's post is more of a rant than a review and thus can't be judged accordingly. It's not that great of a review, because it isn't one-- it's a reaction post. If you can't appreciate and understand rants... well let's just say it's just like being unable to appreciate this movie.
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-07-29 at 13:25.
Archon_Wing is offline  
Old 2012-07-29, 13:22   Link #879
teh_nubkilr
Senior Member
*IT Support
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
O_O I've never seen the need to debate arbitrary rating numbers to such detail. I mean, what's the difference between a 6 and a 8 or an 8 and a 10? Or a 7 and a 8.253532. It's just abstract representations of a feeling. Personally, for me, it works on a tiering scale, so the ones that have provided the highest level of enjoyment get a 10, and we work our way down. But as I see new things, this rating ends up changing even though the anime didn't, so it has its problems. But I don't care-- other people would. What works for one doesn't work for other people. I've long been a proponent of changing the rating scale to letter grades so people would understand it better, but that's just too trivial of an issue, and any extra discussion deserves its own thread.
I don't particularly like numerical rating system, as it requires a little too much effort for my liking to differentiate between things like 'good' and 'great'. It follows that I only assess things on the simple pass/fail system (i.e. I liked it or I didn't like it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Also, from the nature of the post, Reckoner's post is more of a rant than a review and thus can't be judged accordingly. It's not that great of a review, because it isn't one-- it's a reaction post. If you can't appreciate and understand rants... well let's just say it's just like being unable to appreciate this movie.
I think I need to let cooler heads prevail and hang back for a bit. I admit that I prefer reviews over rants and raves

Last edited by teh_nubkilr; 2012-07-29 at 13:33.
teh_nubkilr is offline  
Old 2012-07-29, 18:20   Link #880
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I put off seeing the movie for a few weeks, but just finished just now. Did not care much for the story, compared to the TV series, but love the character interaction between the girls. Wish there was more focus on Ritsu, Mio, and Mugi.

Been a while since I saw K-on! Designs look so different from what I remembered, specially Yui

7/10

edit* most popular at MAL: Mio slightly above Yui and than Azu, Ritsu, Mugi
__________________
vansonbee is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, slice of life

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.