AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 04
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 61 32.11%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 59 31.05%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 42 22.11%
7 out of 10: Good... 19 10.00%
6 out of 10: Average... 4 2.11%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 0 0%
4 out of 10: Poor... 4 2.11%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 1 0.53%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-07-28, 18:32   Link #61
jpwong
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
Yes, they can't possibly screw up "Black Swordman" which is considered easy (if not easiest) to adapt and they didn't. The past two episodes are just an atempt to make impossible possible which they fail .
Sounds like they should have brought in Mu La Flaga for those episodes, but I think you're right, of all the SS that can be animated, Black Swordsman is probably the best designed to be adapted into a single episode.

I have no overall complaints for this episode, there are some scenes/lines that could have been included to make it even better, but I understand that they're running on a time limit, and they weren't anything integral to the actual story at all.

It's nice to watch a more upbeat episode after the last two though.
__________________
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 18:33   Link #62
DXMichael
Stare Into My Eyes...
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Anime World
Age: 19
First Kuroko No Basket, then Sword Art Online both in one day? Must be my birthday Oh, and thank god for Runescape and me playing it when I was younger, otherwise I would be scratching my head at some of the random features in this anime I recognise a lot of things that you would see in a game like this which is awesome

Silica

In this episode, we see Kirito (I got the name right this time! ) help a fairly young girl named Silica who by coincidence looks like Kirito's sister, er, I mean cousin (What are the chances, only a few thousand in the game ) I guess this episode overall was to tell us that monsters and traps aren't the only dangers in the game. Players are too.

So, Kirito is well known amongst everyone now, and he even earned his own unique nickname. Nice And damn! He's level 78 with over 14,000 HP? I really do wonder what the level cap is.


I enjoyed this episode more than I did episode 3. It seemed less rushed and there wasn't as many new characters that you needed to focus on. It was a simple straight line of point A to point B with the same characters without it feeling forced or rushed. Silica was also fun to watch and quite cute
__________________
Gintaro from Gingitsune
DXMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 18:56   Link #63
Tsukou
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmagination2002 View Post
I guess it wasn't explained as well as it could have been. There is truly no Red for killing another player.. Red is what the players call those people/guilds who kill other players.

The game system makes no distinction between stealing/attacking/killing another player.. they all go Orange for breaking the rules. So when Kirito says he has no problem going Orange for awhile that means he was actually willing to kill her if she wouldn't cooperate. Kirito=Badass!
That's pretty much what I'd assumed was the case. I wasn't sure what people were talkin about when they said they would go red, because Kirito at the beginning was explaining going orange when you commit a crime like PKing, but they're just called red players.

I for one am glad that Kirito in this episode doesn't take shit from anyone, especially against people who PK, he has no qualms about taking their lives. And I'm also glad Silica wasn't going to die by throwing herself into the fight, and instead noticed that Kirito's hp wasn't going down and wisely stayed out of it. After Kirito's talk about using the crystal he gave her immediately when he says, I could have easily seen in another series having him tell her to return, but instead her blindly throwing her life away, and the main hero being sad, but I am glad that it didn't happen here, and everything ended happily ever after.

Very nice episode, and impressive visuals, definitely enjoying the ride so far.
Tsukou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 18:56   Link #64
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlotte View Post
She said harm not kill. In many MMOs you'll get a first strike kind of thing for simply attacking a player and if you actually kill someone is when red kicks in.

From what he mentioned about him being fine with it being on him for a few days I'll assume it works on a system where you can slowly work off the orange/red marking by killing NPC monsters similar to a lot of MMOs with open world pvp (Especially Korean ones).

Gotta say so far I've been really impressed with the authors seemingly large breadth of knowledge when it comes to general MMO mechanics. Makes the show far more immersive and enjoyable as a hardcore MMO player myself.
the Author is a fan of Ragnarok
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 19:13   Link #65
Marower
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
This was odd. In the third episode, didn't Kirito say that his high level made the monsters stronger? Why wasn't it like that this episode?
__________________
I have my own blog! It's called Anime Viking. Hope you read it!

Marower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 19:20   Link #66
Vanish
Science Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somewhere.
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marower View Post
This was odd. In the third episode, didn't Kirito say that his high level made the monsters stronger? Why wasn't it like that this episode?
Not sure but usually in MMOs where the mobs are stronger when you're higher level, there is a limit to that. So even if they got stronger doesn't mean Silica or Kirito got weaker and the mobs seemed to be rather weak to begin with plus he used the safest and easiest route to get the flower.
Vanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 19:46   Link #67
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ware wa Kuu. Ware wa Kou. Ware wa Jin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
Not sure but usually in MMOs where the mobs are stronger when you're higher level, there is a limit to that. So even if they got stronger doesn't mean Silica or Kirito got weaker and the mobs seemed to be rather weak to begin with plus he used the safest and easiest route to get the flower.
There might be a level cap on monsters each floor. They mentioned Kirito being in the front lines so that must be the highest floor they reached. If he's free to warp around different floors then it wouldn't be a far cry to assume he's way overleveled for the dungeon they were on. He also gave Silica some rare equips so that must have boosted her stats quite well. So I guess the trap rooms and such like in ep 3 are the only ones w/ mobs that are on a much higher level than the monsters on the current floor. Nice ep by the way
__________________
The true last samurai...
Swordstriker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 19:52   Link #68
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Illinois, U.S.A.
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordstriker21 View Post
There might be a level cap on monsters each floor. They mentioned Kirito being in the front lines so that must be the highest floor they reached. If he's free to warp around different floors then it wouldn't be a far cry to assume he's way overleveled for the dungeon they were on. He also gave Silica some rare equips so that must have boosted her stats quite well. So I guess the trap rooms and such like in ep 3 are the only ones w/ mobs that are on a much higher level than the monsters on the current floor. Nice ep by the way
If I'm recalling correctly then each floor does have a level cap on monsters. The monsters in the trap room weren't necessarily stronger in level, at least to Kirito who was mowing them down and did manage to escape alive. It's just that the sheer number of them was too much for the Black Cats, who could probably have taken on much lighter numbers together.
__________________
By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 19:56   Link #69
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ware wa Kuu. Ware wa Kou. Ware wa Jin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
If I'm recalling correctly then each floor does have a level cap on monsters. The monsters in the trap room weren't necessarily stronger in level, at least to Kirito who was mowing them down and did manage to escape alive. It's just that the sheer number of them was too much for the Black Cats, who could probably have taken on much lighter numbers together.
If you factor in the fact that there are no healing classes and no instaheal potions no wonder a party wipe out was unavoidable. If you played an MMORPG before you can really relate to the events huh. But damn this game is freaking HARD
__________________
The true last samurai...
Swordstriker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 20:00   Link #70
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Illinois, U.S.A.
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordstriker21 View Post
If you factor in the fact that there are no healing classes and no instaheal potions no wonder a party wipe out was unavoidable. If you played an MMORPG before you can really relate to the events huh. But damn this game is freaking HARD
Also add in the fact they were all separated and in something of a panic. The anti-crystal rooms are probably some of the most deadly in the game for players. It seems manageable for organized groups who take a lot of precautions, but yeah.
__________________
By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 20:09   Link #71
ryuusei
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Have been playing Muv Luv VN lately so I was totally surprised when Yuuko-sensei was Rosalia. Totally fits the onee-san voice!

And I'm surprised no one has mentioned that the Hydra from Ragnarok Online made an appearance.
ryuusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 20:23   Link #72
Rayrah
Femme Fatale
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuusei View Post
Have been playing Muv Luv VN lately so I was totally surprised when Yuuko-sensei was Rosalia. Totally fits the onee-san voice!
Seriously?? I just finished Unlimited yesterday. I can't believe I didn't notice that.. I wish Rosalia was more important. :<
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 20:30   Link #73
thundrakkon
Fly Away into the Night
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
This was definitely a nice episode. I was so nervous that they were going to pull another fast one and have Silica die as well. I don't think I can handle continuous depressing losses in a series like this. One is more than enough.

This episode did give us some nice background information. Apparently, Kirito is part of the front-line troops, but he is a solo fighter. After all this time, he still hasn't latched on with anyone else. I wonder if Asuna has been going solo the whole time as well, or if she has joined up with another guild?

As for PK's, I wonder why there has not been an effort to band together and wipe/arrest them? Kirito seems to be the only one willing. Also, can a PK group level up that high to the same level Kirito is without leveling up the old fashion way? It would require them to kill a lot of high level players, which would seem counterproductive at some point (when they start running out of players, or they themselves get killed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Her obvious crush on Kirito, the high-pitched squeaky voice, the short scene of her in her underwear (which is TOTALLY pointless in an MMORPG btw)
It might be pointless in a normal MMORPG; however, this one links up with your neural net. Hence, it could serve a purpose to feel more comfortable when you sleep. As shown in the previous episode, sleep is necessary, which, in a normal MMORPG is not always required.
__________________
thundrakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 20:40   Link #74
Doria
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
It would require them to kill a lot of high level players, which would seem counterproductive at some point (when they start running out of players, or they themselves get killed).

It might be pointless in a normal MMORPG; however, this one links up with your neural net. Hence, it could serve a purpose to feel more comfortable when you sleep. As shown in the previous episode, sleep is necessary, which, in a normal MMORPG is not always required.
I have to imagine that just as in real life, there are probably some people are a little unhinged playing this game (I mean probably from even before they got stuck in the game). Add to that the stress of being trapped to probably die, and it doesn't seem totally unrealistic that some people would snap from that.

And I agree with you that given the immersion of this game, I'd bet most people end up doing things more or less as they do in real life, and a lot of people sleep in some variation of their underwear...

(Unrelated, but about Rosalia, she's obviously kind of insane, and definitely obnoxious, but I think it'd be very tempting to believe that there was some kind of a joke or a bug, preventing people from logging out. That seems (on the face of it) a lot more realistic than thinking that someone actually rigged a bunch of people to die. I mean, they don't really have any way of knowing for sure what happens, anymore than we do in real life--but plenty of people still have firm beliefs about what happens after death.

I mean, I'd like to think I'd want to play it safe and all, but I'm sure some people would convince themselves there's no harm in killing other players.)
Doria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 20:41   Link #75
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ware wa Kuu. Ware wa Kou. Ware wa Jin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
This was definitely a nice episode. I was so nervous that they were going to pull another fast one and have Silica die as well. I don't think I can handle continuous depressing losses in a series like this. One is more than enough.

This episode did give us some nice background information. Apparently, Kirito is part of the front-line troops, but he is a solo fighter. After all this time, he still hasn't latched on with anyone else. I wonder if Asuna has been going solo the whole time as well, or if she has joined up with another guild?

As for PK's, I wonder why there has not been an effort to band together and wipe/arrest them? Kirito seems to be the only one willing. Also, can a PK group level up that high to the same level Kirito is without leveling up the old fashion way? It would require them to kill a lot of high level players, which would seem counterproductive at some point (when they start running out of players, or they themselves get killed).



It might be pointless in a normal MMORPG; however, this one links up with your neural net. Hence, it could serve a purpose to feel more comfortable when you sleep. As shown in the previous episode, sleep is necessary, which, in a normal MMORPG is not always required.
For your question about PKs and what the other players are doing about them it would be best if you post it in the Questions and Answers thread. But do be warned that it's a bit spoilerish kay
__________________
The true last samurai...
Swordstriker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 21:39   Link #76
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMichael View Post
So, Kirito is well known amongst everyone now, and he even earned his own unique nickname. Nice And damn! He's level 78 with over 14,000 HP? I really do wonder what the level cap is.
If you assume there's a correlation between floors and player levels -- i.e., you need to be at least level 80 to have a shot at surviving on the 80th Floor -- then it would probably cap out at 100 so people can't be over-leveled on the upper floors.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 21:49   Link #77
Mephos
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Iowa
Well, I just loved this episode. They got the adaptation right and all the important scenes stay intact throughout except for one thing.

Spoiler for Comparison to the novel for this episode's content:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-28 at 22:12. Reason: added a more descriptive spoiler tag label
Mephos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 21:56   Link #78
Lantern
<(゜∀。)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Flying in the Air
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephos View Post
Well, I just loved this episode. They got the adaptation right and all the important scenes stay intact throughout except for one thing.

Spoiler for Comparison to the novel for this episode's content:
Ahaha, I think she deserves a break though. I mean she's embarrassed all over the episode already.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-28 at 22:12. Reason: adjusted quoted post
Lantern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 21:57   Link #79
Hypernova
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Age: 29
The PKers don't seem to gain much from their crime since even with ganging they didn't stand a chance against Kirito. So perhaps PKing doesn't give that much exp, making them doing it just for the griefing.

What level is the front line at at this point in the story?

Also, since there are no system level prevention for PK from high level players doesn't this mean some one like Kirito can go on a killing spree on the lower level if they ever 'snap'?
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 21:59   Link #80
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
If Kirito is supposed to be with the front line, then logically, the front line players are all around his level.

Not being able to see another player's level is pretty much a feature I've wanted on pvp servers for 20 years, from MUDs to today's MMOs. If an anime can get that right, perhaps there's hope for world pvp in future MMOs?
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weekly episode discussion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.