AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 02
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 36 19.78%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 49 26.92%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 43 23.63%
7 out of 10: Good... 32 17.58%
6 out of 10: Average... 16 8.79%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 0.55%
4 out of 10: Poor... 2 1.10%
3 out of 10: Bad... 1 0.55%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.10%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-07-19, 22:56   Link #441
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Finally saw ep 2 ... I am enjoying this series quite a bit so far - they're really doing a very good job imo.

Am almost tempted to pick up the novels that have already been tl'd into eng over at bakabt....
Me too! The only thing that's holding me back is that apparently the novels aren't in chronological order, so I'm saving myself for the anime .

People seem to really like the novel, so I'd imagine that it's really good and that I'd want to read it soon. I just think A1 is doing a good job converting it into an anime format. I seem to really like the light novel adaptations this season .
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 19:45   Link #442
supermegasonic
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.LocK View Post
I'm a bit slow but... am I the only one who feels that Asuna and Kirito sheathing their swords in completely different styles are completely like Vergil and Dante from DMC3 respectively?
h....holy crap, thats so cool! didnt even notice that. (is a big fan of DMC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Me too! The only thing that's holding me back is that apparently the novels aren't in chronological order, so I'm saving myself for the anime .

People seem to really like the novel, so I'd imagine that it's really good and that I'd want to read it soon. I just think A1 is doing a good job converting it into an anime format. I seem to really like the light novel adaptations this season .
yea and apparently there are gonna be some chapters thats not gonna be animated, which makes me wanna read it even more
__________________
supermegasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 09:07   Link #443
steven3242
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
finally catching up this anime (only 2 episode so far so i dont know if catching up is a good phrase )

overall i i like this, i think iam going to follow this anime fron now on.

comment wise, i can agree with kirito attidute, going against them by saying "he is also a beta tester whatever" will just add oil into the flame but denying the fact by saying the typical "i dont know what are you talking about" is also pretty much suicide, so yeah the only way to smooth things out with the smallest risk is pretty much you take all the "aggro" or you "convert" it into a moving speech.

but since kirito has low "charisma" taking up all the aggro and labeling himself a beater is the only option for him i guess, which is good because this make him not strictly attach to other people/town/faction so he can move freely and have more story to tell instead of going lelouch. beside i cant imagine him as a leader type anyway, he is a solo player afterall.

kirito attidute is pretty much all those high level people in all mmo games, think of it, you are a high level char and suddenly you got whispered "hey hey help me this quest please11111" or "can you give money? just 1 gold plssss" like that, admit it 80% of the time you probably ignore them right and thats on normal game, now this anime is life or death situation so his attidute actually the most normal out of those people.
steven3242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 12:44   Link #444
Aerii
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southeastern U.S.
Age: 19
I saw a woman walking with a child. Were they NPCs or did she just have extremely poor parenting skills and let her young child play this game?

I lol'd at Asuna apparently trying to remain anonymous. Last episode, I got so disappointed when, after he received the mirror, Kirito turned out to look like a little kid. So his new badass "beater" personality development pleases me. Even if he's not hot on the outside, he can still be hot on the inside. [/shallow] So far, the pacing seems fine to me, as well, since I haven't read the light novels.

I am always going to be behind because I'm watching on Crunchyroll without a subscription, huh. Whatever, I'm cheap.

EDIT: Okay, though the pacing seemed fine, the character development and such was... odd. I didn't really care about Diabel, he was just a nice leader guy who became a would-be item stealer. And it was weird that suddenly Asuna was so friendly with Kirito at the end when she was cold to him when she had her cape on. I understand it's because of missing scenes. That said, I still totally look forward to the next episode.

Last edited by Aerii; 2012-07-21 at 17:51.
Aerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 13:12   Link #445
chaos_alfa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerii View Post
I saw a woman walking with a child. Were they NPCs or did she just have extremely poor parenting skills and let her young child play this game?

I lol'd at Asuna apparently trying to remain anonymous. Last episode, I got so disappointed when, after he received the mirror, Kirito turned out to look like a little kid. So his new badass "beater" personality development pleases me. Even if he's not hot on the outside, he can still be hot on the inside. [/shallow] So far, the pacing seems fine to me, as well, since I haven't read the light novels.

I am always going to be behind because I'm watching on Crunchyroll without a subscription, huh. Whatever, I'm cheap.
He is 14, which would explain his little kid look.
chaos_alfa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 16:24   Link #446
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerii View Post
I saw a woman walking with a child. Were they NPCs or did she just have extremely poor parenting skills and let her young child play this game?
Supposing for a second that it is, I don't see the big deal. It's just a videogame.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 17:08   Link #447
Aerii
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southeastern U.S.
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Supposing for a second that it is, I don't see the big deal. It's just a videogame.
IDK, I suppose it depends on whether it has parental controls or not. Letting your little kid who looks like he's six or something play an MMO with a bunch of adults... Seems sorta weird to me.

@Chaos_alfa: Yeah, I know he's 14, so he just looks his age. Still can't help being disappointed. orz.
Aerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 17:42   Link #448
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
the game is suppose to be age restricted but... you guys know how well that stuff works in real life.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 07:17   Link #449
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
I'm not even sure what's so PG-13 about this game. You are a swordwielding hero who slays monsters right. Sounds normal. Kids play with toy swords all the time.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 07:26   Link #450
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
The realism.

Possibly the Nervgear technology.

And maybe Kayaba didn't want to take too many kids hostage, though I guess if he was really concerned about that, he could just unconditionally release them.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 09:06   Link #451
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Can some one explain to me why Kirito did what he did toward the end of this episode ( laughing and calling every one noobs *_* ). ?

My guess is that He wanted to hide the fact Diabel was a Beta tester, Save his honor ( he was a beta tester and hid it but still tried to lead every one) and Because Kirito didn't want a fight to happen between the players ( also respecting to some extent Diabel's wishes as well).

Other than that was there any other reason that i didn't get as why he did what he did?
__________________

Last edited by Whitemoon648; 2012-07-30 at 10:05.
Whitemoon648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 09:29   Link #452
Rayrah
Femme Fatale
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
Can some one explain to me why Kirito did what he did toward the end of this episode ( laughing and calling every one noobs *_* ). ?

My guess is that He wanted to hide the fact Diabel was a Beta tester, Save his honor ( he was a beta test but hided but still tried to lead every one and Because Kirito didn't want a fight to happen between the players ( also respecting to some extent Diabel's wishes as well).

Other than that was there any other reason that i didn't get as why he did what he did?
He basically made himself out to be worse than most beta testers (a beater) for two main reasons: 1) To prevent the rest of the players from going on a witch hunt for beta testers, and 2) to prevent the group from mistrusting each other in case one of them might be a beta testers, and instead, focus their frustration on him.
__________________
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 10:02   Link #453
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
He basically made himself out to be worse than most beta testers (a beater) for two main reasons: 1) To prevent the rest of the players from going on a witch hunt for beta testers, and 2) to prevent the group from mistrusting each other in case one of them might be a beta testers, and instead, focus their frustration on him.
Thank you .

So basically save the other beta testers in that group or maybe if they join other groups in future to trust beta testers.

Basically creating the mentality that Beta testers aren't really that different in general any ways.

Was that the reason he seemed to be scared to declare that ( the reason he was hesitating) ? Maybe he was scared they would all attack him then *_*. I highly doubt he was that high of level in episode two. So it took him some guts to do.

Do you think the reasons i mentioned are part of it too ?
__________________
Whitemoon648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 10:07   Link #454
Rayrah
Femme Fatale
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
Thank you .

So basically save the other beta testers in that group or maybe if they join other groups in future to trust beta testers.

Basically creating the mentality that Beta testers aren't really that different in general any ways.

Was that the reason he seemed to be scared to declare that ( the reason he was hesitating) ? Maybe he was scared they would all attack him then *_*. I highly doubt he was that high of level in episode two. So it took him some guts to do.

Do you think the reasons i mentioned are part of it too ?
Yep.

Yeah, I think that was at least part of the reason; I got the impression that seemed to be somewhat scared because he thought that something completely different would've happened if his plan were to fail.
__________________
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 10:31   Link #455
Adigard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Yeah, I think that was at least part of the reason; I got the impression that seemed to be somewhat scared because he thought that something completely different would've happened if his plan were to fail.
It's also worth mentioning that pointing yourself out that early in a death game... isn't exactly the sanest notion. Sure he's saving a bunch of other beta tester's from problems, and he's a solo player so he's probably okay on his own...

But he's still singling himself out in a massively MULTIPLAYER game, and that's always risky.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 10:38   Link #456
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Yep.

Yeah, I think that was at least part of the reason; I got the impression that seemed to be somewhat scared because he thought that something completely different would've happened if his plan were to fail.
Though originally i was a bit confused about why he was scared, your post helped me a lot figure it out .

At first it didn't even cross my mind that one of the reasons that he could have been scared was because he was focusing all the frustration/anger on himself mainly because he was already in the spot light. But after your post and re watching the episode, i realized the other guy ( the guy who blamed) tried to blame all other ( possible) beta users in the group as well ( thus attention would be focused on all of them) . But Kirito then went a step further and made a big distinction between himself and beta users and thus now all attention/frustrations/anger are focused back at him alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
It's also worth mentioning that pointing yourself out that early in a death game... isn't exactly the sanest notion. Sure he's saving a bunch of other beta tester's from problems, and he's a solo player so he's probably okay on his own...

But he's still singling himself out in a massively MULTIPLAYER game, and that's always risky.
I agree with that at the time, in that group, what he did was very risky. But as for future implications, although probably would have some negative ( and maybe positive) effects, it wouldn't be as dire as what he was facing then when people were frustrated that Diabel died imo.

Few things i can guess ( not a novel reader just speculating) his reputation could gain him allies ( positive effect) and at the same time people could be after him ( after his col and items, ...).

But still i agree that doing that at the end of the episode 2 could have ended in a much worse way than it did for him.
__________________

Last edited by Whitemoon648; 2012-07-30 at 10:49.
Whitemoon648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 19:49   Link #457
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
I start to feel like annoying person since once again I'll have to break the happy conversation...

1) MC said that he reached level 8 in 2 months. Whole month passed and he only now passed level 1 and he needed help of bunch of people... how is that even possible?
Also acting all cocky now when in episode 1 he said"I'll reach level 1 in a month!". Shut up dude! 1 month is gone and you are only on floor 2!

Doesn't matter that boss was improved, the dude never even reached him to start with!

2) Why did the blue haired guy refuse to take the medicine? What was the point in his death?!


Sorry, but so far I don't see all the fascination with this show. I expected something more but keep seeing a standard shounen with bunch of holes!

I guess 2 episodes are enough for now. I'll take a break until I really will become irritating -_-
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 19:57   Link #458
chaos_alfa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I start to feel like annoying person since once again I'll have to break the happy conversation...

1) MC said that he reached level 8 in 2 months. Whole month passed and he only now passed level 1 and he needed help of bunch of people... how is that even possible?
Also acting all cocky now when in episode 1 he said"I'll reach level 1 in a month!". Shut up dude! 1 month is gone and you are only on floor 2!

Doesn't matter that boss was improved, the dude never even reached him to start with!

2) Why did the blue haired guy refuse to take the medicine? What was the point in his death?!


Sorry, but so far I don't see all the fascination with this show. I expected something more but keep seeing a standard shounen with bunch of holes!

I guess 2 episodes are enough for now. I'll take a break until I really will become irritating -_-
1) If one mistake can be your dead you tend to become more cautions and fear for you life is a good motivator for some people to avoid combat. You shouldn't see this as a regular game where you can progress with trial and error.

2) A healing potion wouldn't have saved his life. He already lost all his hit points, you just saw his health bar decreasing for effect.

Episode 2 till 7 are side stories which where published later.
chaos_alfa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 20:00   Link #459
Rayrah
Femme Fatale
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
1) MC said that he reached level 8 in 2 months. Whole month passed and he only now passed level 1 and he needed help of bunch of people... how is that even possible?

Also acting all cocky now when in episode 1 he said"I'll reach level
1 in a month!". Shut up dude! 1 month is gone and you are only on floor 2!

Doesn't matter that boss was improved, the dude never even reached him to start with!
.. the game was changed from how it was in the beta? The game developers made it much more difficult to 1) locate the boss, and 2) defeat it? Plus, dying in this game now means dying in real life. That's a big change.

Yes, those were his expectations based on his beta experiences. What if everything was changed around (which it was)?

And why does that not matter? Every little change means it's all that harder to deal with, and that means that it's that much easier to die.

Quote:
2) Why did the blue haired guy refuse to take the medicine? What was the point in his death?!
Because his health was depleting too quickly. Kirito would only waste his potion on him, as they're still on the lower levels, and I imagine that there's no potion capable of countering the DoT (damage over time) that the Diabel received from the hit.
__________________
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 20:05   Link #460
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
1) True but it is a bit too much.
I could have ignored it but the way MC acted at the end just made me want to punch the coward in the face. That is not the best way to start a show... Right now I don't see why would he even do that. Was it to make everyone fear him so they would not hurt him?
If I were them, I would tie the guy and force the answers -_-

2) In one hit? But MC also was damaged, why didn't he lose all the life? The blue haired guy did block with a shield =/

So basically I'll be annoyed for another 5 episodes? -_-

I guess I'll keep all my opinions till episode 8 then.


Aphrah
Then cowardly MC should stop acting cocky for no real reason. He makes himself sound like a big shot when in reality he's pathetic. Sad that he will finish the game in the end.
The dude better change his attitude.
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weekly episode discussion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.