AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2003-12-07, 04:40   Link #1
gohmifune

Best? Favorite Client

Ok, I was wondering are there better clients than the experimental one I am using. It works fine, but is there one that uses less ram, allows for better download speed etc. I've used a couple others including the original and this one works the best I find, but what does everyone else think. What're your favorites, and what are you using.
gohmifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-07, 11:31   Link #2
Forse
r00t for life

I suggest using ABC client. You can find it on SourceForge
Forse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-15, 01:38   Link #3
Keen

I just started using BitComet ( http://www.bitcomet.com/ ). I'm still looking for a decent client that offers all the features that I want.

edit: After playing with it a bit, I'm loving BitComet. It offers every feature I want except for showing downloaded and available chunks.

Last edited by Keen; 2003-12-15 at 18:55.
Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-15, 08:15   Link #4
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

I like Shareaza on Windows, and shad0w's client on Linux (ABC has no command-line mode).
Old 2003-12-15, 18:02   Link #5
taskette

i'm kind of asking the same question too. what is the best bittorent client out there? i'm looking for something with a searchable database because i heard from a friend that such a client existed.
taskette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-15, 18:54   Link #6
Keen

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskette
i'm kind of asking the same question too. what is the best bittorent client out there? i'm looking for something with a searchable database because i heard from a friend that such a client existed.
Explain this searchable database.
Old 2003-12-15, 21:01   Link #7
taskette

A searchable database is similar to a Kazaa search engine. I don't know if this "secret" client even exists, but please inform us on it.

I downloaded ABC and it's working terribly. I can easily get up to 200kb/s on One Piece but on ABC it doesn't even break the 20kb/s. I also noticed that the Upload rate is 0.0kb/s. I tried everything but it just won't raise. I'm thinking about switching back to experimental if I can't fix this terrifying flaw.
Old 2003-12-15, 21:18   Link #8
andyz
Ichiban

shadow's client
andyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-15, 21:39   Link #9
taskette

ABC ticked me off, since I have very little patience, and I switched to Shadow's client quickly. It works fine _so_ far. But for some reason, One Piece just won't go as fast as it would with the experimental. I tried to reinstall the experimental a few minutes ago but it failed for some strange reason. Now i'm back to square 1 (sort of) =/
Old 2003-12-15, 22:18   Link #10
Blade556

umm, i just use the original version, plain and simple. all those other versions are programs running off the same engine that took (according to www.bitconjurer.com) 2 years to make

go original! unhindered uploads for sharing!
Blade556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-15, 22:49   Link #11
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskette
A searchable database is similar to a Kazaa search engine. I don't know if this "secret" client even exists, but please inform us on it.
That's Shareaza. It allows you to find torrents on its network and download them even after the tracker goes down.

Of course, it only has a listing of torrents that its users have downloaded in the past...
Old 2003-12-16, 01:31   Link #12
Disclaimer

I use Azureus it's a java client with lot's of options. I have used original and experimental before. Original 3.3 being worst client ever i just hate it 3.2 was usable but experimental was better.
Disclaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-16, 01:55   Link #13
Paper

Another vote for ABC here.

Although I'm trying out Shareaza right now, but my first impressions is "Where's all the bittorrent tools, information, and settings?", and I still haven't figured out how to reseed with it (if it's even possible)

My perfect Bittorrent client is one with good reseeding functionality. Unfortunately, ABC is the best I can find so far.. but it's lacking a "rotate through this list of torrents and reseed if there's no seeds" feature. Anyone who knows of such a client, please tell me!

Also, IMO, "crappy download rates" aren't caused by the client, since all clients are built upon the original, but rather by the people who are currently uploading/downloading (ie, if they have their upload cap set to 1kbps, your screwed even if there's 100 of them)
Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-16, 15:38   Link #14
taskette

After some consideration, I headed over to sourceforge.net to see what all the fuss is about. Since Azureus was the most popular BitTorrent mod being downloaded, i picked it up. It works GREAT. It picks up (reaches the maximum dl speed) 10 times faster than ABC or even Shadow's client. I am extremely happy with Azureus. It has many options and it does so much more than any other client can. But I am still looking for something with a searchable database since it sounds very convinent. I do have a large pool of resources for torrent files but it wouldn't hurt to try something like that out, if it exists =/

Thanks everyone.
Old 2003-12-16, 16:56   Link #15
Keen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper
My perfect Bittorrent client is one with good reseeding functionality. Unfortunately, ABC is the best I can find so far.. but it's lacking a "rotate through this list of torrents and reseed if there's no seeds" feature. Anyone who knows of such a client, please tell me!
When you start downloading a torrent in BitComet, it makes a copy of the .torrent file, and keeps it, so anytime after you finish downloading, you can easily just double-click on it, and reseed. How does that compare to ABC's feature?
Quote:
Also, IMO, "crappy download rates" aren't caused by the client, since all clients are built upon the original,
AHAHAHHAHAHA, no.
Old 2003-12-16, 18:11   Link #16
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
I still haven't figured out how to reseed with it (if it's even possible)
To reseed, you open up a torrent in your library and click "Seed".

BitTorrent settings are the same as the main settings. BitTorrent information is in the downloads window.
Old 2003-12-16, 18:34   Link #17
Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen
When you start downloading a torrent in BitComet, it makes a copy of the .torrent file, and keeps it, so anytime after you finish downloading, you can easily just double-click on it, and reseed. How does that compare to ABC's feature?
ABC lets you keep a list of all your torrents, however, it's the same window as the undownloaded torrents, and after 50 torrents it gets a bit cumbersome to find torrents. You can hilight the torrent and click reseed, and life is moderately okay. Then you have to select super-seed mode manually (if that's what you want).. no button to go to super seed mode automatically (or even better, a button go to super seed mode if # of seeds = 0, else use normal seeding).

But I don't want to click at all. I want the client to go through my list and find the torrents with 0 seeds and start seeding them. Of course I would want it configurable, so that I'm not trying to reseed 50 torrents at once, nor do I want to reseed if I'm downloading 3 torrents, and I'd love it to automatically stop once it sees 1 full copy (not when one person has a full copy, like ABC currently does in super seed mode). And since I'm listing features, it would be great if it prioritized the reseeding queue by # of leechers waiting, average peer progress, etc. I know these features will come eventually to some client, but I always wonder if there's already one out there and I just haven't found it yet.

I stand corrected on the "all bittorrent clients are made from the original". I didn't know anyone made one from scratch. I can now also see where some clients might be faster at getting up to the max bandwidth (ie, by aggressively polling the tracker, caching IPs, etc), however, I maintain that the max bandwidth you get is determined more by the people who are on than the client you use.

Now, I think I'll go check out Azureus. The screenshots look pretty cool, especially being able to see what pieces of the torrent are available, and what you've downloaded
Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-16, 20:21   Link #18
MeowMix
Inactive Member

Send a message via AIM to MeowMix Send a message via Yahoo to MeowMix
Im still getting a 0 download rate.. did I do somethign wrong? Im not really good on this all installing thing.. hopefully someone will let me know how to configure it right..... I have... well downloaded Azureus
MeowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-17, 07:52   Link #19
Hannah's_Knight

Send a message via MSN to Hannah's_Knight
I use Torrent Storm with Shaow's Client 5.8.7.
It doesn't work well AT ALL behind my router and I'm trying to fix it as we speak...and failing miserably at the same time _
Hannah's_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-17, 11:21   Link #20
MeowMix
Inactive Member

Send a message via AIM to MeowMix Send a message via Yahoo to MeowMix
with Bit coment.. how do you figure out if you are behind a fire wall?
MeowMix is offline   Reply With Quote