AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 06
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 21 15.22%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 28 20.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 42 30.43%
7 out of 10 : Good... 24 17.39%
6 out of 10 : Average... 13 9.42%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 4 2.90%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 3 2.17%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 3 2.17%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-08-12, 07:07   Link #101
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
This common misunderstanding is probably because of a bad translation of the initial explanation. The game itself doesn't distinguish between players who kill and players who merely attack. It's all orange. Which is very reasonable in a computer game. Maybe it's another one of those things that rings a lot truer to people with MMO experience.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 07:09   Link #102
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
I see. Well I expected 3 possible states, considering that simply harming a player lead already to orange (as implied by Kirito threatening Rosalia), so putting PK and outlaws altogether seem rather dangerous to say it bluntly.
Well, early MMO certainly tagged players as PK the moment they attack green players, but I was expecting more distinct categories considering how advance SAO is.
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 07:11   Link #103
styr
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
They're clearly stronger than him, at least when it's 3-on-1. Note that Kirito had to use a bluff about 30 players coming as reinforcements. Which obviously they never did. The tension of the scene when they're staring at each other's eyes is about whether or not the Laughing Coffin guy will call his bluff. Kirito simply can't take these guys on by himself. Maybe not even with Asuna's help.
Lots of things cut out this episode or modified in some way..

As for why he was so cocky taking on 3 of them at once.. here's more info left out of the anime, spoken/thought by Kirito:

Spoiler for Vol 8 Murder Case LN spoilers:


The LC members also didn't just walk away nonchalantly either, they turned around and left in the opposite direction (away from the city).. This makes it even more confusing from the context of the LN, due to time constraints it was cut of course. Bound to happen in any LN-to-anime adaption though..


@Klash this 2nd spoiler shows that orange players do not have it very easy in SAO. Being a criminal in SAO is in some ways harder than being a criminal IRL.

Spoiler for Vol 8 Murder Case LN spoilers pt2:


Keep in mind all of this happens after Kirito falls off the horse and the last spoiler happens right before he starts talking to Yoruko+Kainz as he thought of how/where LC came from. Anime loves glossing things over, unfortunately.



BTW, none of the spoilers I've listed here spoil anything in ep6 other than what the LN did differently than what was portrayed in the anime, so anime viewers can see how it was done differently..

Last edited by styr; 2012-08-12 at 08:17. Reason: grammah
styr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 07:13   Link #104
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I see. Well I expected 3 possible states, considering that simply harming a player lead already to orange (as implied by Kirito threatening Rosalia), so putting PK and outlaws altogether seem rather dangerous to say it bluntly.
Well, early MMO certainly tagged players as PK the moment they attack green players, but I was expecting more distinct categories considering how advance SAO is.
Always remember that despite Kayaba's plans for the whole thing, it was designed first and foremost as a game. And in a game there's not much difference between someone who attacks you unprovoked and someone who kills you. Death is just a minor inconvenience, so why would it be special? Not to mention that whether or not they succeed in killing you after attacking is more dependant on the skill of the victim than the morality of the attacker. No one's going to attack someone and then hold back when they only have a sliver of HP. It makes no sense. In a game.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 07:25   Link #105
Adigard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
However, I can't help but be disappointed how easily overwhelmed he was by a single line from Asuna.
Blame the adaption, and the fact that they did not want to extend this side story into three episodes. It took quite a lot to beat down his defenses in the LN. May try to paste in the relevant bits under a spoiler tag when I have time later today... but they're long so that may not be allowed here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I just wonder what would happen if a special event (i.e. dragon invasion) along with a "building invincibility" revoked should occur... that could be interesting
Well, Asuna wanted to drag a boss into a town in the last episode. That could be scary considering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
That said, I'm quite surprised that the Laughing Coffin members were tagged orange, instead of being permanently red. Considering the implication of PK in SAO, I'm quite puzzled that the designer would use the usual "outlaw time duration" gimmick here. Even moreso when Kirito mentioned "red player" in Silica's episode and this one. Mistake perhaps?
'Red' players are a player-term. As has been pointed out before in this thread the 'system' only has green / orange. The player's designate known PK'ers as Reds to... point out the difference between them and player's who might go orange for a day or two. But it's not a 'system' state, and not something depicted by the pointer over their head.

Last edited by Adigard; 2012-08-12 at 08:09. Reason: Removed the novel bits... they were LONG. Probably would have taken the anime another half ep. to cover it all.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 07:35   Link #106
Friday
Im shy too...
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Invercargill Southland, New Zealand
IMO....

I think Griselda would of made to the final floor....
but Grimlock sounded abit jealous and did not want her to suceed better than him.

do you think his former partners send his ass to prison or knock him off????
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 08:20   Link #107
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
Probably sent him to prison. If they'd wanted to kill him they'd have done it right there. Not like Kirito would blame them for it.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 08:24   Link #108
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
This episode is pretty average.
Honestly, the reason of that grimlock guy why he killed his own wife is pathetic, laughable and poorly written.Just because she become different doesn't justify that she needs to die.If she is your wife then talk to her about the matter, sincerely.And don't use some lame ass excuse that she becomes more energetic and different that she needs to die because of these things lol.
Vladrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 08:25   Link #109
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
IMO....

I think Griselda would of made to the final floor....
We don't really knows that. But her guild wasn't even a clearing guild.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 08:32   Link #110
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladrave View Post
Honestly, the reason of that grimlock guy why he killed his own wife is pathetic, laughable and poorly written.Just because she become different doesn't justify that she needs to die.If she is your wife then talk to her about the matter, sincerely.And don't use some lame ass excuse that she becomes more energetic and different that she needs to die because of these things lol.

Far worse killings are done for poorer reasons everyday in the real world.
kyp275 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 08:36   Link #111
Adigard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladrave View Post
This episode is pretty average.
Honestly, the reason of that grimlock guy why he killed his own wife is pathetic, laughable and poorly written.Just because she become different doesn't justify that she needs to die.If she is your wife then talk to her about the matter, sincerely.And don't use some lame ass excuse that she becomes more energetic and different that she needs to die because of these things lol.
Think this one's been discussed to death in this thread, but fiction reflects reality or something?

Also it fits in with the "Do you try to live in the world, or just blindly try to beat it / escape from it" idea that's slowly forming in the background.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 08:54   Link #112
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
fiction reflects reality or something?
Sometimes it is.
Vladrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 08:57   Link #113
Znail
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
We don't really knows that. But her guild wasn't even a clearing guild.
But Schmit could join a clearing guild just by getting a new weapon. This implies that their level wasn't far behind the clearers as else so would he had been too far behind to be of any use for a clearing guild.

My impression of them then is that they were leveling up in the top level, but didn't explore that area. Ie only stayed in safely explored areas, but still the same level mobs.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 09:27   Link #114
Eutechnyx
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Well in overall by the episode sequence(atleast last 2 episodes) looks like this anime might be more than 12 episodes?
__________________
Eutechnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 09:45   Link #115
Znail
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eutechnyx View Post
Well in overall by the episode sequence(atleast last 2 episodes) looks like this anime might be more than 12 episodes?
25 confirmed episodes so far
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 10:16   Link #116
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Age: 25
So what did Schmict(sp?) actually do to 'assist' Griselda's murder? Mark her with a teleport crystal? I can't understand that part clearly

Pretty nice episode overall. The mystery got resolved a bit too easy and the confrontation with the PK guild and the true murderer was bit too rushed. But I like interaction between Kirito and Asuna, they are very cute together
__________________
その再生を破壊する
Destroy This Rebirth
LightningZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 10:23   Link #117
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
So what did Schmict(sp?) actually do to 'assist' Griselda's murder? Mark her with a teleport crystal? I can't understand that part clearly
Pretty much. He put an exit for the teleport crystal in her room, which he could enter because they're in the same guild. Grimlock then gave the crystal to a red player who did the deed.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 10:44   Link #118
Child_of_Sierra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Pretty much. He put an exit for the teleport crystal in her room, which he could enter because they're in the same guild. Grimlock then gave the crystal to a red player who did the deed.
But how was she "killed" in her room? Doesn't that take us back to the rule of no-one being able to PK inside the safe zone?
__________________
Child_of_Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 10:47   Link #119
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Sleep-PK.

character limit
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 10:48   Link #120
Rakshasa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 下北沢、東京
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child_of_Sierra View Post
But how was she "killed" in her room? Doesn't that take us back to the rule of no-one being able to PK inside the safe zone?
Remember last episode?

:mutters something about goldfish:
__________________
libTorrent - A BitTorrent library and ncurses client for *nix.
Rakshasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.