AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-08-08, 22:14   Link #19321
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York, USA
When should we expect NT 5 to be released? A month before with the synopsis?
Welsh_Dragon is offline  
Old 2012-08-08, 22:15   Link #19322
Chaos2Frozen
Ano Waza...!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh_Dragon View Post
When should we expect NT 5 to be released? A month before with the synopsis?
10th October.
__________________

~"I think 'DINOSAUR' might be one of my favorite words for a punchline."~
Chaos2Frozen is offline  
Old 2012-08-08, 22:18   Link #19323
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
10th October.
Sorry I goofed. I meant the cover lol. October 10th, good to know. It seems that I get an early birthday present!
Welsh_Dragon is offline  
Old 2012-08-08, 22:20   Link #19324
Chaos2Frozen
Ano Waza...!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
In that case yes, one month before the release date we'll get the cover illustration as well as a proper synopsis.
__________________

~"I think 'DINOSAUR' might be one of my favorite words for a punchline."~
Chaos2Frozen is offline  
Old 2012-08-08, 22:57   Link #19325
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York, USA
I look forward to it! I reeeeaaaaaallllllyyyyyyyy wanna know what is gonna happen in that volume.
Welsh_Dragon is offline  
Old 2012-08-08, 23:00   Link #19326
Phibrizzo
Honos628
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Aleister would have her murdered as a result. He tried to kill Mikoto's mother the moment she started organizing a movement to get Misaka out of Academy City in the wake of WWIII. Misaka's portion of his plan is pretty done, and he still wouldn't let her go, there's no way that he's letting Touma leave like that.

It was one thing when he was slipped out by Birdway, but he'll be dam*ed before he lets an concerned mother interfere with his plans.

Also, didn't Touma just destroy the reason the memory wipe occurs and not the safety mode itself?
I doubt this was Aliester meddling at all, this sounds more like a moment from the board of directors, losing a level 5 that they use as the main face of academy city would be a huge blow to them, and the stability of the espers inside the city.
Phibrizzo is offline  
Old 2012-08-09, 11:36   Link #19327
Breidaluk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
That's right.It wasn't Aleister.The board of directors decided. Because of the war they didn't want to take the risk of losing any valuable "thing" to the outside. You can take Komaba's case as an example.They only decided to kill Komaba because his plan was going to put Academic City's comunication network with problems. They didn't put priority in help the espers who could be attacked.
Breidaluk is offline  
Old 2012-08-10, 08:27   Link #19328
Saishy
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
*cough*



I'm just wondering if you guys read what he quoted.

I'm wondering if he read what he quoted.
Quote:
"The people who were with you would also be 'unlucky' as well. The kids who believed in those superstitions would throw rocks on seeing you.
Superstition.

Did you read the whole thing?

Like if someone say:

"The Aztecs would die by the hands of god if they didn't sacrifice a human every year to the vulcan. The tribes that believed in those superstition lived at such world."

Way to get something out of context.
__________________
Saishy is offline  
Old 2012-08-10, 09:50   Link #19329
desrtsku
uuuuuuuuuuuuh!
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wonderland.
Age: 22
^ Oh, it's risk-free here ... I guess.
Yeah but it's a matter of perspective, we already knew in that case that scarifying dudes won't help them.
But here we don't have a clue if it's really the case or his father is wrong = everything is possible ^^ for the simple reason that what someone thinks of as a superstition might actually be true (especially when the guy we're talking about is not an expert in the matter).

Here's a well known example of the latter case :

"The earth is not the centre of the universe. That Galileo idiot who believed in such superstitions was put on trial."
__________________
desrtsku is offline  
Old 2012-08-10, 10:04   Link #19330
Saishy
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
^ Oh, it's risk-free here ... I guess.
Yeah but it's a matter of perspective, we already knew in that case that scarifying dudes won't help them.
But here we don't have a clue if it's really the case or his father is wrong = everything is possible ^^ for the simple reason that what someone thinks of as a superstition might actually be true (especially when the guy we're talking about is not an expert in the matter).

Here's a well known example of the latter case :

"The earth is not the centre of the universe. That Galileo idiot who believed in such superstitions was put on trial."
But we have two points:

- He implies again that it was only a superstition of other people, while still agreeing that Kamijou was indeed unlucky.
- In a book that most of the story is explained by other characters, what he say is 'word of god'.


So what does it imply? First that he really mean what he meant, it was a superstition of other people to believe being near Kamijou would bring misfortune.
Two, you can't start denying things based on "What this character say could be false", because if you do so the whole book will lose it's meaning.

You could say Styil might be lying when he said about magicians being able to detect if another person was a magician or normal human.
You could say Index was lying about the functioning of mana.
You could say Kanzaki was lying about Yusen.
You could say the frog doctor was lying when he said he saved Aleister.

In a world where most proofs come from characters speech, you have to take in account that what they say is true unless proved otherwise.

And yes, even if this defy logic or reasoning, like how the Railgun is said to deal that much destruction using only an arcade coin, when that is obviously impossible according to current physics law. But because they said so and happened so, you can only believe it and go on.
__________________
Saishy is offline  
Old 2012-08-10, 10:18   Link #19331
Ashaman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saishy View Post
Superstition.

Did you read the whole thing?

Like if someone say:

"The Aztecs would die by the hands of god if they didn't sacrifice a human every year to the vulcan. The tribes that believed in those superstition lived at such world."

Way to get something out of context.
The crux of your argument was that nowhere was it said that people around Kamijou Touma were unlucky.

Except that Touya clearly states that those around Touma experienced bad luck.

The fact that he believes that its superstious nonesense is irrelevent in the face our knowledge that Touma's luck problems are an actual thing.

The whole concept of luck is superstition. The children who believe in luck threw rocks at Touma, apparently because they felt that he brought them bad luck.

In any other show, I'd dismiss the childrens claims as silly. but Touma's bad luck is an actual thing.

At the end of the day, the childrenand adults belived that Touma brought them bad luck.

Touya felt that they were being superstious.

Basically, are you 100% sure that those children were wrong and Touya is right?

Full well knowing that luck is not just an abstract concept, but an actual thing that Touma negates, can you say with complete and utter certainty that the childrens "susperstious nonsense" has no basis in reality?
__________________
Ashaman is offline  
Old 2012-08-10, 10:31   Link #19332
desrtsku
uuuuuuuuuuuuh!
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wonderland.
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saishy View Post
-snip-
huh you still dare say something like "In a book that most of the story is explained by other characters, what he say is 'word of god'." with a series like Index where more than half of the explanations are done by the 3rd person narrator, and when 50% of the time the characters are generally mistaken about the nature of their opponent's power or something else relevant or not to the plot xDD ... My my

Just for fun, I'll send back your remarks ... but instead of "lying", "wrong" is more appropriate :
-And both styil and Kanzaki were wrong believing 85% of Index' memory is occupied by the Grimmoires
-Styil was wrong about Pendex being destroyed, the anti-saint weapon ... etc
-Index was wrong about Magical Powered kanamin's "plastic" mahou shoujo powers >.>
-Heaven Canceller ... even he, was wrong when he thought Stiyl soaked that letter in liquid explosives.
__________________
desrtsku is offline  
Old 2012-08-10, 10:52   Link #19333
leukrota
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
As desrtsku said, there are instances of characters being wrong... It would be senseless to expect for everyone to be wrong all the time, but it's not impossible for some people to be wrong once in a while. It's part of the magic of an unreliable narrator, most of what he/she says is probably an accurate observation, but due to it's nature, the perspective can become a deception on occasions.

Changing what the readers are told can help keep them on their toes... as long as it's used wisely and sparingly, otherwise it would just seem like the author is "retconning" whatever doesn't fit well in the story.

But anyway... How could Touma's right hand bring misfortune to others when almost every guy he hits soon gets a harem for himself?
leukrota is offline  
Old 2012-08-10, 11:06   Link #19334
Saishy
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
Except that Touya clearly states that those around Touma experienced bad luck.
No.

Since this was wrong there is no point in arguing the rest.


Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
huh you still dare say something like "In a book that most of the story is explained by other characters, what he say is 'word of god'." with a series like Index where more than half of the explanations are done by the 3rd person narrator, and when 50% of the time the characters are generally mistaken about the nature of their opponent's power or something else relevant or not to the plot xDD ... My my
Arbitrary numbers such as "50%" "more than half" with no basis.
Useless in any discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
Just for fun, I'll send back your remarks ... but instead of "lying", "wrong" is more appropriate :
-And both styil and Kanzaki were wrong believing 85% of Index' memory is occupied by the Grimmoires
I was absolutely positive you would use this as an example.
And I already answered this in the previous post, you just ignored and continued on.

Let me remind you since you seem to have a somewhat short memory:

Quote:
In a world where most proofs come from characters speech, you have to take in account that what they say is true unless proved otherwise.
This also answers all the following quotes, along with a commentary of mine because I like to talk :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
-Styil was wrong about Pendex being destroyed, the anti-saint weapon ... etc
This was the part I disagreed with you, it isn't like that but we already discussed too much and u still have this idea, so no point arguing further on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
-Index was wrong about Magical Powered kanamin's "plastic" mahou shoujo powers >.>
Yes, and it was already proved otherwise, as I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
-Heaven Canceller ... even he, was wrong when he thought Stiyl soaked that letter in liquid explosives.
Yes, and he was proved otherwise, BEFORE he even said that.

Things that aren't true, and things that might not be true are fundamentally different.
The difference should be obvious but yet it seems you are struggling to understand it.

I already gave the Railgun paradox example, the book states that the arcade coin is able to do that level of destruction even though it is impossible even in the world of the book.
Pay attention, this is not something that is impossible in real life like magic or espers, this is something that exists in the book yet it should be impossible to exist.
The book states that the damage is done purely by physical force, this cannot be true, yet it is true because the book said so.

So what does it mean? This is something that might not be true.
What if latter on the book reveals that the damage is actually done by the electricity that Misaka controls along the coin?
Then this would be something that was not true.

But until this something that might not be true is something that is not true, it should be treated as the truth, even in this case where it should obviously not be true.

So Touya could be wrong? Yes, he could. As anything else in the book could be wrong. We could learn that Kanzaki was not a Saint but actually something else, we could learn that Index can actually use magic, we could learn that Aleister is actually not Aleister but a clone.

So please does not confuse something that might not be true to something that is not true.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------


Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
As desrtsku said, there are instances of characters being wrong... It would be senseless to expect for everyone to be wrong all the time, but it's not impossible for some people to be wrong once in a while.
Thanks, this is what I'm saying.
It always exist the possibility of someone being wrong, but that by itself does not mean someone is wrong.

For heck that I know Touya could actually be a magician and misleading Touma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
But anyway... How could Touma's right hand bring misfortune to others when almost every guy he hits soon gets a harem for himself?
Are? I don't remember any guys receiving a harem besides him D:
__________________
Saishy is offline  
Old 2012-08-10, 11:17   Link #19335
leukrota
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saishy View Post
Are? I don't remember any guys receiving a harem besides him D:
Accelerator - LO, Worst, Yomikawa (not really, but humor me)
Hamazura - the 3 girls from ITEM

Well, it's just a joke anyway, not a serious argument.

EDIT: Ah, also Etzali "got" Xochitl and Tochtl
leukrota is offline  
Old 2012-08-10, 11:34   Link #19336
Saishy
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
Accelerator - LO, Worst, Yomikawa (not really, but humor me)
Hamazura - the 3 girls from ITEM

Well, it's just a joke anyway, not a serious argument.

EDIT: Ah, also Etzali "got" Xochitl and Tochtl
"Woman" acquired.

Would you like to give your Woman a nickname?
_ _ _ _ _



Anyway didn't Index said something about Touma right hand being able to dispel the red string of fate? Hence why he have such a harem, it might be true that this works on other people xD
Edit: TOUMA! PUNCH ME IN THE FACE TOOOOoo~
__________________
Saishy is offline  
Old 2012-08-10, 11:46   Link #19337
desrtsku
uuuuuuuuuuuuh!
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wonderland.
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saishy View Post
-snip-
My my, here you go again Ok, then again the problem comes from something we had in mind but you didn't
1- I read the "unless proved otherwise" don't worry but I didn't care because ... because it's the BOOK ITSELF just like with other cases I mentioned that made us think that!!
I think there's something you don't get, it's not like everyone started thinking "Touma used to spread bad luck" on a whim, it started after Terra said Imagine breaker could AOE and even get beyond Touma's body. I think you understand now.

2-
Quote:
Thanks, this is what I'm saying.
It always exist the possibility of someone being wrong, but that by itself does not mean someone is wrong.

For heck that I know Touya could actually be a magician and misleading Touma!
Do you actually realize that was MY point.

3-
Quote:
This was the part I disagreed with you
Huh this one? Really? You didn't even quote me when I asked you about it and come up with a " Edit : you already answered that" when you asked me to quote you. So I thought it was my win back then.
__________________
desrtsku is offline  
Old 2012-08-12, 01:22   Link #19338
DaveRock29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh_Dragon View Post
I look forward to it! I reeeeaaaaaallllllyyyyyyyy wanna know what is gonna happen in that volume.
What anime is your sig from? lol PERV MODE = ENGAGE!
__________________
DaveRock29 is offline  
Old 2012-08-12, 01:55   Link #19339
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York, USA
^you mean the Inumimi getting groped? It's from Dog Days Season 2. I have two more that are even more perverted!
Welsh_Dragon is offline  
Old 2012-08-13, 11:20   Link #19340
Sleep_ping
The Restless FTL
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ellinia
Age: 23
I love how it's all jokes on all the other LN discussion forums I basically contribute to and this one has the most debates...
Sleep_ping is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.